Oakenfold?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
scarlet_minnow

Oakenfold?

Post by scarlet_minnow » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:13 pm

I'm fairly sure it was only a joke (Paris Hilton at BM? Puleeze...) but did Oakenfold really spin on the playa? Haters can save their rants, but I will be disappointed if I missed out on his set due to a lack of location in the guide.
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess

HughMungus

Re: Oakenfold?

Post by HughMungus » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:34 pm

scarlet_minnow wrote:I'm fairly sure it was only a joke (Paris Hilton at BM? Puleeze...) but did Oakenfold really spin on the playa? Haters can save their rants, but I will be disappointed if I missed out on his set due to a lack of location in the guide.
It's like asking whether aliens exist or not: who cares?

Seriously, I dunno.
It's what you make it.

mnkybump

Post by mnkybump » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:13 pm

Oakenfold spun at Illuminati in 2000.

mnkybump

Post by mnkybump » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:15 pm

Oakenfold spun at Illuminati in 2000.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:37 pm

As I recall it was never announced either. If memory serves correctly it garnered less moths than did the Mermen who I believed played around the same time.

And that's a good thing.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Gromit

Post by Gromit » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:10 am

mnkybump wrote:Oakenfold spun at Illuminati in 2000.
and sucked at it...very stale...there was some hype, I went to check it out...

I want my 10 minutes back...

theBrooke

Post by theBrooke » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:45 am

I remember that... 2000 Oakenfold thing... I was gonna go check it out but it started raining around 10-11, crawled into my tent with my girl and we didn't make it back out till Saturday. We were gonna go but we found something more interesting, a bed... HA!
=(*o*)=(^-^)=(º0º)=(*.*)=(^_^)=(*_*)=

thinkcooper
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Illumination Village - Spiral Oasis
Location: East side Santa Cruz- can you keep those seals quiet?

Post by thinkcooper » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:17 pm

theBrooke wrote:I remember that... 2000 Oakenfold thing... I was gonna go check it out but it started raining around 10-11, crawled into my tent with my girl and we didn't make it back out till Saturday. We were gonna go but we found something more interesting, a bed... HA!
That was a cold rain. My wife and I found the same warm place to ride out the rain. Hmmm, I wonder how many thousands of people have had sex at the same time on that part of the playa?

Professor Tawdry

Not likey- for PISS CLEAR, its a running joke

Post by Professor Tawdry » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:24 pm

Unless Oakey can warp space and time, and flew a prvate jet to BRC on sat nite.
A friend claims Oakey played ICE here in las vegas on burn nite.

So there.
Wheres my fucking gift?

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:45 pm

I think your friend is wrong.

It was a Saturday night and it was in 2000. Oh, and the BRC airport can handle jets BTW - although flying one in isn't the best idea unless your'e an overpaid, marginally talented performer who gets the big bucks for playing music made by others and taking credit for it being 'your' art.
Desert dogs drink deep.

nipples

Post by nipples » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:47 pm

It was definately 2000, may have been this year too, dunno though.

I had never heard of the man before then. Danced my silly ass off in front of a speaker stack (stage right). Had the Pike Bike & trailer parked out towards Trash Fence.

Was it raing during the perfomance?! I was temperaturally challenged, having eariler at the big spotted mushrrom tent left my Carhart™ jacket (k never to be seen again though I want it back and do blame no one, as I never sought it out. Jacket was way broken in. If you have it & love it, fine. I wrecked one more since then but it is now rags covered with splotches of varnish and the old one is hopefully well kept. It did rain that night though, and the signs were all written in a languge I could not discern... my trailer camoflaged somehow though eventually I did recognize her & climb in nearly frozen by cold rain & elements too long ignored.

nipples

Post by nipples » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:51 pm

No, wait.

I was stuck in the rain walking (after my bike fenders filled with mud) not (obviously) on the night in question, as I do recall the Pike bike, though maybe that is what I left to walk from. Sorry for the thread drift.. you were saying....

paps

Post by paps » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:05 pm

We remember you being warmed by cheese Que'sedias' at the Smut Shak that same week, could be you left your jacket™ there.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:07 pm

I saw Oakenfold once (not at BM), and he sucks live.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

paps

Post by paps » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:11 pm

It was not 99' then, when at the Petting Zoo
early in the week The Virgin Spectacle (solo dancing-man freak for hours) before they needed bouncers to keep creeps like me/you/they out?

No my memory fails, you lost your coat, but you were saying something else just then
a note sounding of Love[/list]

amnesia

Post by amnesia » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:21 pm

i was twitching then
since have been some sorry years
hardly ever dance

BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:14 am

oakey was in vegas, i live in vegas and a coworker works at ICE, who would want to hear his cheese anyways

what a lame first post

themessenger

it was friday, it was 2000 and it was raining

Post by themessenger » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:01 pm

I know for sure, because I fell in love that night

dj big E

YEs he did

Post by dj big E » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:35 pm

This year on fri night oakenfold played to a "pack house" at jiffy lube. Or so i here hope you were theyre lmao.

technopatra

Post by technopatra » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:36 pm

I wouldn't say he totally sucked in 2000, but he was blown away by some local talent, namely Pulsar, Drag'nfly and Johnnie Schiffer.

A couple of the Illuminaughties recorded most of the sets from that year and compiled an amazing 8 disc gift set for members of the camp. If you know the right folks you can prolly find someone to burn you copies.

Denis O'Kelly

He didn't play 'cos he didn't ask nicely

Post by Denis O'Kelly » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:03 pm

He could have played but he took the DJ's for granted.

Lush didn't need him. With people like Laird and the boys, who needs Oakenfold.

BM isn't about celebrity DJ's, most of all Lush.

Well done done lads, I loved every set.

Denis.

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:20 pm

""I wouldn't say he totally sucked in 2000, but he was blown away by some local talent, namely Pulsar, Drag'nfly and Johnnie Schiffer.""

Lost at Last? I seem to remember that crew too.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:27 pm

Badger wrote: playing music made by others and taking credit for it being 'your' art.
I can say with all conviction that Oakenfold is an overrated smoking turd who couldn't mix live to save his life, but I'll tell you, Badger, some of us hard working table jockeys do more than just play other people's records. A good dj spends his time re-editing tracks live (yes, they are other people's records) so that when we're done with them, they are different songs.

I could knock the Rangers, but since I don't know crap about what they do, I won't. (hint hint)
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:42 pm

Also, Badger, Rachel and I are debating your age. I won't say who says what, but I'll tell you that Rachel had plenty of Rob the Wop's green "punch" at the meet and greet and I think her recollection is somewhat foggy. If you're comfortable with it, would you say how old you are, just to settle this? If not, how about an age range?

Not trying to be a jerk about the whole dj thing, either. It's a sensitive subject to most of us, though. A lot of people think that there's nothing to it but it takes talent to do it right and make it sound good. It really is an art.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:02 pm

I think it is predominantly a skill

some elevate it to art
call me baby

ejl

Post by ejl » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:56 pm

Fat SAM wrote:
Badger wrote: playing music made by others and taking credit for it being 'your' art.
I can say with all conviction that Oakenfold is an overrated smoking turd who couldn't mix live to save his life
For this 43 y/o jaded underground rock burnout, electronic dance music seemed kind of flat and lifeless until I heard it the way it's made to be enjoyed. A friend of mine turning me on to some archives of Oakenfold (and a few other) BBC Essential Mix sets is what helped me finally understand that club music is meant to be listened to in the context of a set mixed by a DJ, rather than various tracks played one at a time the way you might listen to rock-n-roll. It seems to me that the art of electronic dance music is a combination of the track and the soundscape created with clever mixing and remixing by the DJ. The music that is made by others is just pieces in a collage.

I've never seen Oakenfold live, but the Essential Mixes I've listened to are as technically polished as any other sets I've heard and a lot better than many.

Is he really a turd?

Does he get to cheat when he does a "live" session for the BBC?

I'm sorry to say that I didn't really find any music at BM that really hit me hard enough to hold my attention for more than about 20 minutes at a time, but I didn't try very hard. Reading this thread I've had to admit to myself that if I knew I was hearing a "big name" spin I might have put more effort into to enjoying a whole set, which is a lame attitude on my part.

The best auditory experience of the whole week for me was the loud beats that kept fading in and out and waking me up over and over the night of the burn. To my groggy brain out at 8:20 and Pluto it sounded like the same beat was playing all night until around 8 AM or so.

Does anyone have an idea what I might have been hearing?

Was it really the same record over and over all night? :)

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:43 pm

The reason I call Oakenfold a turd is that when you listen to him with DJ ears, you hear serious inconsistencies between the studio work and the live stuff. Whenever a dj makes a mix, he/she has to match the beats on one track to another. This involves slowing or speeding up the record that is being mixed. It's hard to get the records perfectly matched, so while the two records are mixing and you in the audience are hearing both signals, one record may start to slow down or speed up a little. At that point, the dj gives the record a little push to speed it up or drags a finger on the platter or label to slow it down. A trained ear can hear the pushes and drags. Oakenfold's studio work has no pushes or drags whereas his live mixing is full of them as well as being chock full of trainwrecks...Ferry Corsten has this same problem.

Studio production involves polish, sure, but you can never completely eliminate the possibility of having to speed/slow your records during a mix and cutting each one of these out with Sound Forge or some other program would screw up the sound of the recording. Even over dubbing similar sections of track would still result in an off sound. Paul Oakenfold, in order to get around this problem, mixes on a computer in the studion by playing his tracks into the machine and then mixing them electronically by laying the tracks over one another as he likes. When he gets in front of a live audience and has to do the actual task of mixing, he's lost and relies on melodic trance to do the work for him. Melodic trance has long breakdowns and lilting arpeggios and emotionally responsive keys that get the crowd involved without doing much work at all. That's why a lot of dj's trash trance-only dj's. Oakenfold uses trance and name recognition to move the crowd. For those of us who aren't megastars, we need to rely on skill. For that reason, I call him a turd. Aaaaaaand, just like any other skill, dj'ing can be done artfully. Hence, I feel justified calling it an art.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:44 pm

And yes, I think the "live" BBC sessions are fakes...That or they're from back when he was real.

nipples

Post by nipples » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:18 pm

"Melodic trance has long breakdowns and lilting arpeggios and emotionally responsive keys that get the crowd involved without doing much work at all." (Fat SAM)

Thought it was purposeful pregnant pause, transitional, time to drink water.

Will make sure & boo the next a-hole to pull that crap on me!

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:01 pm

Har har.

Melodic trance has it's place. It's beautiful music. I think it's easy to get into the habit of seeking a hands-in-the-air crowd response out of every track, though, so you end up with these guys who play only that stuff, every track, back to back....Break it up...be experimental. Throw in some good acid trance or dark progressive or something to create a mood. It can't always be mountain-top experiences.

Don't boo the next guy who plays some real heavy melodic track. Boo the next guy who plays a full set of it.

Return to “Stories”