"Spring Breakers"

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Bitterman

"Spring Breakers"

Post by Bitterman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:03 am

HATE YOU! Stoopid spring breakers. You've gone and done it now. You've ruined Burning Man. Go the f!ck away. Go back to where you came from and save your money for Florida or Mexico or Mardis Gras. Burning Man aint for you.

They come in all sizes. From the 20 something party hound that's just "lookin' for a good time man", "gonna get fuuuuuuuuked up bro". How original, is that tat a celtic band around your bicep or barbed wire bro?

To the letcherous 50 year old drunk loser with the gut hangin' out, the open tourist shirt and no pants. Standin' around with his elbow permenantly cocked at a 90 degree angle holdin' his drink, red faced, sweating, wearing sunglasses all the time "so the hotties don't see me starin' at their BOOBS!"
Dad, is that you? Go HOME!

And who can forget the spaced out, shirtless guy in clean pants. Head and back sunburned red as Satan's cock, carryin' four beers in his hands, wanderin' around gape mouthed on Saturday afternoon. Loose yer way buddy? The half way house is in Elko.

AAAAAAAAACCCCHHH!
Bah! Psshhh!

geekster

Post by geekster » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:24 am

What embarrased me most was the behavior of people from my own camp. I had to hang my head in shame a couple of times and wish I had been with another group.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

isiseyes
Burning Since: 2002

Re: "Spring Breakers"

Post by isiseyes » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:54 am

Bitterman wrote:HATE YOU! Stoopid spring breakers.
I think the people you're really angry at are the types you described, not all "spring breakers"... I met quite a few people who came for the weekend only because they couldn't get the time off from work to come earlier. One good friend of mine came up for two days, and the entire time he was there he was respectful, fun, and really got into participation. On the flip side, I also met people who were there the entire week who I wished would just leave, due to extreme drunkeness (who could forget the guy who peed on the outer side of the urinal with a ranger standing right there, and then he tried to deny it when there were 10 witnesses including the ranger?)... and they'd been burning for years.

I think I just wish the people who can't respect others (including the guy who grabbed my boobs and wouldn't let go when I was trying to get out of the Flight to Mars maze, I had to kick him) would stay home. Too many people see BM as a big frat party.
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" ~ Elenor Roosevelt

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:41 pm

i've felt that way before.
frikem-frakem, fuckem.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

XS

Blame it on E....

Post by XS » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:35 pm

Blame it on E! Not that E... but E for "Entertainment Television"..... I think those extra 5,000 or so tickets sold can be in part attributed to BM's appearance on the E top ten party spots... What a mistake! Gotta get 'the word' out to these types - Burning Dude has been totally re-located to Panama City, Florida, around Easter, and is now sponsored by Miller Lite and MTV. ... Bro....
Too much is never enough.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:11 pm

I can't say the Spring Breakers bother me too much, but then again, my main source of entertainment in making fun of people...and I'm getting bored of making fun of the ravers.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:29 pm

Oh my gawd, Bitterman's little black, dusty heart has just grown 2 sizes bigger! You "hear" me! You seem to understand me!

Dear Isiseyes I don't speak of your friends who can only come for a few days, hell, I love the weekenders who mean it. What the hell, ya know.

For me it all started on thursday when I started pulling cans and bottles outta the damn potties. Every muther F-ing trip to the head and I'm hauling trash for losers! Don't they git it? Don't they see? If the greeters this year are to believed and it's not just some horrible playa rumor: "There are only 3 PortaPottie companies in RNO...we have burned thru 2 of them with the horrible mess we left. Last year...leather pants in the pottie, a cooked chicken in the pottie, NEED I SAY MORE? A WHOLE COOKED CHICKEN! What gives? They ruined it for everyone. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Bah! Psshhh!

PetsUntilEaten

Post by PetsUntilEaten » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:37 am

XS -

I just saw Burningman on "Wild On"'s Top 10 Party spots
between Oktoberfest in Munich at Number 8
and Las Vegas's Pimp n Ho Ball at Number 6

I'm so sad. Some token comments on the harsh desert & needing a bike - the rest is mostly blurred genitals & mostly people like you see in shots of Vegas, Mardi Gras, etc. - Men with very short hair & women with big breasts.

I try not to worry too much about this stuff - but it was very very creepy.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:53 am

So has anyone tried something like the following:

Since everybody and their brother has a camera, next time you see someone peeing on the playa, grabbig someone's tits, leaving trash someplace, burning plastic with black smoke pouring out of a burn barrel, dumping carpet or a couch into a fire, driving so fast to make a cloud of dust ... take their picture and post it someplace. Make a hall of shame album or something. I think I can spare some space and bandwidth on a server for something like that.

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:12 am

geekster wrote:So has anyone tried something like the following:

Since everybody and their brother has a camera, next time you see someone peeing on the playa, grabbig someone's tits, leaving trash someplace, burning plastic with black smoke pouring out of a burn barrel, dumping carpet or a couch into a fire, driving so fast to make a cloud of dust ... take their picture and post it someplace. Make a hall of shame album or something. I think I can spare some space and bandwidth on a server for something like that.
great idea.

you also had a great sign. now why cant more people come up with great ideas like that instead of complaining.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

YerNotDaBossOMe

Post by YerNotDaBossOMe » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:44 am

Some people are not suseptible to public shaming. In fact, I suspect the worst offenders would LOVE to see pics of themselves grabbing boobs or pissing on the outside of a portapottie. They would give the URL to all their friends so they could see "how totally wasted I was at Burning Man."

The Porta-Pottie issue was one that was hammered over and over. There were notices in each one, in the Gazette, in the Survival Guide, and a bunch of other places. But you have to ask yourself what kind of person thinks it's a good idea to put chickens and leather pants in the pottie. This is not a reasonable person, and is thus immune to reasonable responses.

The sad thing is, I can think of nothing that will reduce the Yahoo factor other than more policing - which many are chafing about already. The suggestions of closing the gates early in the week will keep some out. But it will also keep out veteran burners who just could not get the time off.

Burning Man has gotten the publicity as a big party. Maybe the best thing to do would be for the organization to not respond to media requests. If magazines call, tell them the event has been cancelled.
There...I said it and I'm glad!

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:47 am

Well there ya go. Take it a step further.

You have the photo of Yahoo dumb dumb, why noy ban them? :shock:

Seems like a problem solved to me.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

icebox

Post by icebox » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:44 pm

If we lost the JOTS out there that might actually be a deterrant to folks looking to just come out and party and throw their trash in the john (and it would reduce the ticket price). Don't get me wrong, it would suck not having that service and in reality the event would be difficult to go on without them. However, telling someone at the gate (and in all the pre-event literature, of course) that they need to have their own pisspot/poopcan would definitely wake up those who aren't quite grasping that this thing ain't Mardi Gras and nobody else is gonna pick up after you.

I know, it would be a pain in the ass (pun-intended) if you were at 2:00 and Sedna with a turtle poking out and had to double-time it back to camp at 10:00 for your personal shitter. However, some of these things going on with the JOTS are looking more like sabotage to ruin the event more than someone being simply careless. I dunno, but if we lose the shit-sheds we're gonna need some serious thinking on how to keep the event going. I have faith that we would adapt and overcome such a problem though.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:06 pm

YerNotDaBossOMe wrote:Some people are not suseptible to public shaming. In fact, I suspect the worst offenders would LOVE to see pics of themselves grabbing boobs or pissing on the outside of a portapottie.
Maybe not in all cases. I know one guy who "runs" a camp ... with a rather ferric fist I might add ... who likes to come off all "burnier than thou" and who pisses on the playa as a matter of course, burns all kinds of garbage including throwing glass and plastic in the burn barrel, and does only a cursory deMOOPing. If I had brought a camera with me I would have pegged the guy several times. I don't think I managed to pick up all the glass shards from where his burn barrel was but I think I got most of them, it was getting dark and my ride was leaving. Neighbors bitched at him for burning plastic and stinking the place up, a couple of rangers dismounted from their vehicle to see what was up. I don't know what he told them. I know he was careful to add the plastic slowly to the barrel so he could say "oh, a spoon must have slipped in with the paper plates" or something but his intention was to burn the plastic. He had asked at least one other camp member to do it for him but they refused.

That guy would probably respond to being posted on a "don't do this" website.

Troy Van Berry

Sorry assed excuse for burners

Post by Troy Van Berry » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:26 pm

Being from Reno and attending 8 burns I have to say there's alot of local yahoos who make up this weekender fuckwit population, I knew several who have abused all kinds of stuff, from shooting fireworks to bragging because they sneaked in afterwards. I think the only thing that will work is to start giving back to these idiots, community style. When I start yellling at these peabrains for driving too fast (Slow the fuck down, one of my personal favs) they get all definsive and start with the bullshit claims that me yelling at them is not in the "burning man spirit" yet they think that driving their couchmobile way too fast somehow is, you know in the "burning man is all about expressing myself" routine. What a load of horseshit these whacktards are spewing. I say we let mob rule and start pointing out and isolating and exposing them.. Yea that's the trick, we'll make it so dammed uncomfortable to be there they won't want to stay and play. Oh, but that would be infringing upon their experience you say. I say excellent, because no one else is going to do anything about it. we must all take a stand and not put up with this crap, otherwise we're just turning another cheek like we do countless times everyday in the "real world". The only way to solve this problem is with conflict and confrontation afterall. Lets make Burning Man the way we want it.

Well OK, I guess maybe that's a "little" harsh, but I do(not) bring up some interesting points?
The art is in the details

Russell Scheidelman

Post by Russell Scheidelman » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:58 pm

The suggestions to 'shame' malefactors after the fact (e.g., on the Internet) suffer from being 'after the fact'--after the damage has been inflicted. It would be better to confront these guys right there on the spot or to have some mechanism that trips them up or discourages them just as they're about to commit their offenses.

Banning the Port-a-Potties (as proposed earlier) would certainly do away with one major target of abuse, but at the cost of destroying Burning Man as we know it and leaving a city of RV dwellers. Do you really want that?

Regarding the Port-a-Potties, I do have a 'fantasy' solution which may be impractical in itself but which may perhaps inspire more practical minds to come up with something more feasible. It seems obvious that the Port-a-Potties pose a tempting target for Yahoos simply because they confer an almost impenetrable degree of secrecy and concealment. So my 'fantasy' idea would be for the Bman org to contract with the Port-a-Potty manufacturers for a custom-designed "Burning Man" Port-a-Potty. Its walls would be made of CLEAR plastic and it would be permanently lit--thereby eliminating the 'cover' for committing offenses and exposing the malefactors to instant detection. Of course, it would also play some heavy head trips on people who feel they have to urinate and defecate in an absolute state of seclusion. But since many find they can break through their socialized inhibitions against public nudity when they come to Burning Man, maybe they could overcome this one as well--for a worthy cause.

Of course, it shouldn't have to come to this. I had thought the 'nothing-in-the-potty-if-it-doesn't-leave-your-body' education campaign had been working quite well during the previous 3 Burns. Why it suddenly seemed to break down this year is a mystery (leading some folks to develop conspiracy theories).

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:55 pm

[quote="PetsUntilEaten"]XS -

I just saw Burningman on "Wild On"'s Top 10 Party spots
between Oktoberfest in Munich at Number 8
and Las Vegas's Pimp n Ho Ball at Number 6

YEAH! Let's boycot E! network! Let's all send letters to thier H.Q. and tell them the founders of Burning Man have pulled the plug on the event due to their broadcast! It'll be a great prank!
Bah! Psshhh!

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:10 am

I say we let mob rule and start pointing out and isolating and exposing them.. Yea that's the trick, we'll make it so dammed uncomfortable to be there they won't want to stay and play. Oh, but that would be infringing upon their experience you say. I say excellent, because no one else is going to do anything about it. we must all take a stand and not put up with this crap
TROY VAN BERRY! TROY VAN BERRY! TROY VAN BERRY!
Bah! Psshhh!

milenko

Post by milenko » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:29 pm

yes bitterman you are right, there is only one way to act and participate at BM, Yours. to hell with everyone that drinks more than you, spends less time at BM than you and thinks diffrently than you . And I agree men have got to stop looking at girls with unpure thoughts. Since I am so stoopid please tell me exactly how I should act< particpate, and what and how to look. while you're at it you can correct my spelling and punctuation. you are better than most

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:30 am

Hit a nerve Milenko? Are you a SpringBreaker? Or a gawker? Maybe a tourist? I dunno...Look pal...I don't have a problem with weekenders and newbies. I love those people, they bring fresh creativity and wide eyed abandonment to the Burning Man experience. If you took the time to read this post, most of us are ranting against the very forces that will end this beautiful event, mediocrity and lack of responsibility. When someone comes to an "arts festival" with a "gift economy" and a slogan of "no spectators"...don't cha think people should bring something to the party? Like art, or gifts, or participation?! This aint the number eight party spot on earth, this is a community of like minded individuals who value creativity and spontaneity. We want to change the world. We don't want the shite we leave behind in the default world to follow us out to our magical little city. Kinda defeats the purpose. Why have Black Rock City if it's just like every other place in amerika?
Bah! Psshhh!

clown lover

Re: "Spring Breakers"

Post by clown lover » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:25 am

[quote="Bitterman"]HATE YOU!
is that tat a celtic band

Do you hate the Irish, or just their tatoos? I'm confused by all of your hate.

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:47 pm

Sorry ClownLover I'm affraid of clowns. You people scare me silly.
(pun intended)

You've gotta understand that all my hate comes from LOVE for the event. I love change, I know that change is the primal force of the universe. What I want to see is evolution and growth, not stagnation. Our beloved event is going thru growing pains, I'm hoping this is the last "transition year" and the creative people will TAKE BACK BLACK ROCK CITY!

As far as my tattoo comment, it's a joke, see? It's a comment talking about unoriginality. People who try and fit into an already established esthetic. Why? Why wear the uniform of everybody else? Somebody wants a tatoo because all the other Bros have one, and whats the most common tat? Tribal band or barbed wire on the bicep. Clever! (sarcasm) Jeez, I shouldn't have to explain my jokes and sh!t, either you git it or you GIT OFF MAH LAND!!!
Bah! Psshhh!

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:50 pm

P.S. ClownLover,

My anscestors and Scotish and my wife is Irish, so... NO, I don't hate the Irish. (I hate "spring breakers" @ Burningman)
Bah! Psshhh!

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:52 pm

ARE Scotish, ARE. I'm not a very good typist sometimes.
Bah! Psshhh!

chula

Post by chula » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:05 pm

"Being from Reno and attending 8 burns I have to say there's alot of local yahoos who make up this weekender fuckwit population, I knew several who have abused all kinds of stuff, from shooting fireworks to bragging because they sneaked in afterwards. I think the only thing that will work is to start giving back to these idiots, community style."
I agree with Troy. and the same goes for the real world. once you get away with your shit, your shit gets bigger, and you get a sick thrill out of getting away with bigger shit. isn't that what george is all about?
the problem is, anarchy aint good for everybody. for those who still possess morals, they can handle an ugly fight. but for the weak of heart or mind, it is torture to watch the bullies have free reign.
"Bend and stretch, and reach for the stars"

clown lover

Post by clown lover » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:51 pm

For me, BM isn't just about like-minded individuals. You and I are clearly not like minded, but we are both burners. It's about diversity. If you come upon something unfavorable, move on. Don't fill yourself with bitterness and hate. There's plenty of things out there to do besides hate on the locals or spring-breakers or stupid rednecks or whatever your predjudices are.
We had a local wander into our camp. He was a 70 year old local, wearing a necklace made of condoms. He told us his name was big perv. Instead of making an instant judgement on him, we invited him in, gave him a drink and the trinkets we had made and found out that yes, he was a perv, but this was his third burn and he had some interesting stories to share.
People are way too quick to deside if others are worthy of being there.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:17 pm

One of my goals this year was to let go of negativity when faced with stupidity, stupidity that could ruin the event. So I approached several people without anger (victory) and pointed out how their behavior might be wrong, or antiethical to the community we were trying to build. I was hassled, yelled at and told I was stupid. But I didn't get mad and I felt good about that. And I didn't let them ruin my week with mostly beautiful people and wonderful art and all.

That fact is that the ORG has made a conscious decision to grow the event. I'll not second guess that. They must have know that there would be massive growing pains.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

thedrunkenmonkey

Post by thedrunkenmonkey » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:10 pm

I had a nifty job - one of the things I got to do was to herd people out of my camp's "private" space.

One woman who came through kept muttering, "Man, I didn't KNOW. I THOUGHT Burning Man wasn't about your space versus my space. Jee-sus."

Of course, then I found this woman rooting through our kitchen area, saying, "I just wanted to get something to eat, I'm with Sarah."

The fun part was, while I politely said, "If you're hungry, we've got fruit and cheese up at the front, and we welcome you to play with us, this is our space we have for us, not for everyone else, so please come with me and stay out of the area we have marked off," internally, I was thinking, "Get the fuck out of my camp, you daft drugged-out hooch!"

Negative? Nah. But for the most part, when my camp area was invaded by people who didn't need to be there, I directed them to where they should have been. The simple fact that there's 40,000 people in a small area in the desert means there's going to be a lot of people whose attitudes don't mesh with my own about personal space.

Just because I have a giant swimming pool filled with water doesn't mean you get to use my chlorine tank.
BANANAPHONE!

cornelius
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Shortfuse, Robotronia, PoPCorn Palace

Post by cornelius » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:24 am

Chula! My sweet AngryBitch! Why didn't we make out on the Playa?
ROBOTS UNITE

d6

Post by d6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:47 am

There is no emoticon for what i am feeling........

How about PERSONAL FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY?

angry bitch, you have my gratitude.

d6
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot

Return to “Stories”