Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Evilboi
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:56 am
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Surly

Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Evilboi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:21 am

To all those aspiring fabulous folk who wish to give back to BRC and its people, its legacy of to pay it forward with good intent, I’d like to steer you away from Ranger Training. My experience last year in the ‘training’ and ‘culling’ of prospective Rangers was so vile and abusive I’d encourage you to think twice to save yourself the money, time and humiliation you will certainly suffer. As told to our group of would be Rangers last year: “We accept very few volunteers, even after the training”.
To be a Ranger one applies on line and if chosen, you sign up for a training course prior to the event. I opted for the one-day of classes in the Pacific Northwest after being chosen. The teacher/ Rangers had not ever trained a class before but had been Rangers for several years. Another Ranger had wonderfully volunteered his home and back yard where we were to meet for the entire day. There were about a dozen of us-of all ages and of different BRC experiences. We were given the secret training books of protocols used by Rangers at Burning Man and were put into roll playing situations during the day. It was not far removed from most formatted corporate team building sessions I’ve encountered in my life and was interesting. I forget how many times we were told by the lead Ranger during the training that Burning Man did not condone sexual harassment and any such actions would be reported immediately to staff. That certainly made me wonder if that droning statement was a result of previous lawsuits by former victims? As there were no trainings near my home that I could attend, I flew on my own dime and provided my own travel costs as a small part of my commitment to my desire to be a Ranger.
Mind you, I had no heady goals. Being almost 60 and physically handicapped I pictured myself working in a trailer or at a post providing information, herding cats, picking up moop as a Ranger. There were no applications given out for any specific jobs at the training. We were photographed for ID badges and told to appear at the event in order to have an on-site training of about 4 hours, where we would then be voted (sic) ‘On or off the island’. I have been going to BM for almost a decade and have camped with the same theme camp for years. We have volunteered as a group to assist BRC in many ways with our art car and have great respect for Rangers and how they help the citizens. I was ready to do any job I was assigned.
We were told to report at the main Ranger Camp early and upon arrival pointed to a box of handmade Ranger vests to wear during the day. Each of us would spend time with three different chosen Rangers who would assess us as volunteers. And, we would have walkie-talkies and were to listen to real VS made up commands and situations. If we failed to listen or act correctly to the orders given over the devices we would fail Ranger training, “So you better be listening all the time!”. As I can’t walk well I showed up with my bike and walked with my group as much as I could, or sat on the seat and walked my bike as we were led around and questioned. As is my nature, I collected moop as we walked in our group of four. Our lead Ranger was pleasant enough but scowled each time I picked up yet another glo-stick or got on my bike. His focus appeared to be to walk us to a Ranger station where he was camped so that he could get an early morning beer for himself. The second Ranger I was assigned to was a person who had a very difficult time communicating with me using the proper pro-nouns. Did I say I am gender fluid and although bio-female, prefer ‘him’ or ‘they’ when addressed? Anyhoodle, we were led to the Man himself and I was ordered by my trainer/Ranger to ‘Go to the top of the Man and change his direction as fast as you can’. (Last year you could crank the statue to point in different ways). As ordered, I began my climb up the stairs to the top and gently, with permission, limped and squeezed past my fellow citizens and begged my way up. I looked down before the stairs disappeared into the core of the man and saw the trainer motioning me to return. I did so immediately. When I came back to the group she said, “Rangers aren’t supposed to butt in line” and pulled out a notebook and appeared to write me up. She then walked us to the opposite side of the Playa and asked really odd questions and had even weirder comments back to our small group of trainees. At @ high noon she pointed to a theme camp where people were standing around in the shade and said, ‘Go engage with them’. We walked up as a group, said hello and made light talk and enjoyed the shade. When we left she commented, ‘You must always ask permission to use a Burner’s shade’. We had not asked any permission and again, her little notebook came out to give us demerits. We returned to Ranger central and my small group was assigned to our last Ranger/evaluator. He was absolutely not pleased that I had a bike. Sadly, by now, I was limping badly as we had circled the inner perimeter of the city all morning non-stop without rest. This Ranger had us walk with him one by one down the Esplanade, and asked each of us if we thought the other wannabe Rangers in our small group were good enough to be Rangers. Of course we all thought each other were nice, had appropriate manners and appeared willing to volunteer and step forward in a situation. He then ended us at a camp giving out free non-alcoholic beverages and ordered us to ‘go in, mingle, look around and report back in 15 minutes.’ The theme camp was handing out yummy food and drink (we were all thirsty and famished). Unfortunately for us one of the Ranger rules is that you can’t accept food or drink or even water from citizens. None of my group took any sustenance and had a smile and a rote answer when we were asked if we wanted something. “No thanks, but thanks!” When we gathered back around this Ranger at the entrance to the camp he laughed and said, “That was just a trick. This is my camp. Go ahead and eat and drink but don’t tell anyone.”
We were led back to the main Ranger camp with all the other trainees. There were maybe 30 of us? What was supposed to be a four hour walkabout had lasted eight hours on the Playa. In my almost decade of coming to BRC I had never walked so far and see so much from the ground level. I was physically beat up but smiling that I had walked the walk and had fun. There was water for us to drink, and we were to wait under the shade on benches, to wait our fate. Frankly, I thought we would just wait for our assignments? The wait was an addition two hours. We were left alone and it was quiet because I think we were all personally bushed. Only once did a Ranger come out from behind the walls. He said, “We’re having trouble deciding. Just stay here. Oh, and do you know how you can tell if a Ranger has had sex? Because he’s got two clean fingers.” He turned around and went back behind the wall. WTF?
Finally, the ‘judges’ came out. We were told if anyone didn’t want to be a Ranger they “Should leave now.” I remember a few people did get up and go, admitting ‘Not my thing’ or ‘Maybe next year’. It was all friendly. One of my co-wannabes was called up by one of the Rangers. She was in her mid-20’s and had been a self-confessed burner for half her life. We watched as a few Rangers stood by her and talked quietly. She turned around and came back to our group with tears in her eyes and said, “I didn’t make it.” She was really heartbroken and upset, grabbed her bag and walked off. She dropped her pocket watch and I picked it up and returned it to her. She was sobbing that she couldn’t believe ‘they won’t take me as a volunteer’. My fellow trainees mumbled in disbelief. Next up an older gentleman was called upon to talk to the Rangers. He was a college professor and had been in one of my groups. Really nice guy and yet he was quietly told he didn’t make it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy that age cry except at a wedding or funeral. He was completely devastated and in utter disbelief and also walked off immediately as if he had a bus to catch. A few others were called up, and then I was too. No, I didn’t ‘make it’. I was told by one of the three Rangers I had walked with that I was too strong a personality for them and that bringing a bike was a bad choice. I was also invited to apply again next year for Ranger training.
I believe someone out there protects me from bad, and after that Day of Judgment and discrimination I don’t want to be a Ranger given the mindset and Ranger ethic I witnessed. Burning Man is certainly concerned about sexual harassment but had/has no sensitivity training for LGBT citizens and potential Rangers. Nor, was there any mention or training given out about differently abled persons. The only mention of ‘handicapped’ citizens during our training was the order NOT to say over a walkie-talkie that a citizen was stoned, passed out, drunk, etc. The radio language was to be ‘in an altered state’ so as not to attract the Popo. As I think back over the years I don’t believe I’ve seen many Rangers who are physically handicapped or who present as gender fluid although I’ve seen many in skirts and tutus! I will look at Rangers this year in a different way now that I’ve read the book of protocols and experienced how the rules for Rangers are interpreted on citizens. Beware wannabe Rangers-the odds of you passing judgment by BRC Rangers is slim to none. Beware LGBT citizens-your Rangers get no sensitivity training.

Lord Of Ruin
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:22 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:25 pm

First, I'd like to say how sorry I am that your experience trying for the Rangers wasn't a positive one. Letting people down easily after they try hard to make a team is never easy. But I wanted to point out a few things I think are not quite correct, or at the very least quite biased in your portrayal of the process.
Evilboi wrote:To all those aspiring fabulous folk who wish to give back to BRC and its people, its legacy of to pay it forward with good intent, I’d like to steer you away from Ranger Training. My experience last year in the ‘training’ and ‘culling’ of prospective Rangers was so vile and abusive I’d encourage you to think twice to save yourself the money, time and humiliation you will certainly suffer.
Ok, this certainly isn't starting off well. Vile and abusive? Not being selected for a volunteer team is vile and abusive?
Evilboi wrote: To be a Ranger one applies on line and if chosen, you sign up for a training course prior to the event.
There is no "choosing" at this level. If you've been on playa at least two years, you're invited to come to training.
Evilboi wrote:I opted for the one-day of classes in the Pacific Northwest after being chosen. The teacher/ Rangers had not ever trained a class before but had been Rangers for several years.
Absolutely not true. The training academy tightly monitors and controls who is allowed to administer Ranger training. It often takes multiple years to become a Ranger training, fully signed off by the Academy. They may have never LED a training before, which means they are the sole person in charge of all of it: pacing, organizing, etc.
Evilboi wrote: We were given the secret training books of protocols used by Rangers at Burning Man and were put into roll playing situations during the day.
The Ranger manual isn't secret. It's publicly available every year after it's updated, and has been since there's been a formal manual. Jus' sayin'.
Evilboi wrote:I forget how many times we were told by the lead Ranger during the training that Burning Man did not condone sexual harassment and any such actions would be reported immediately to staff. That certainly made me wonder if that droning statement was a result of previous lawsuits by former victims?
Why would this be the conclusion you jump to? This is repeated and reinforced in training because you are taking volunteers from all walks of life and putting them in positions of authority (in eyes of their community) within an environment that has many of normal societal rules and guidelines removed. Sexually charged situations are very common. You can see why you'd like to keep this in the front of new folks mind until they learn to "wear the authority" with mindfulness, right?
Evilboi wrote: As there were no trainings near my home that I could attend, I flew on my own dime and provided my own travel costs as a small part of my commitment to my desire to be a Ranger.
Thanks for doing this. But I'm curious why you simply didn't wait and do it when you arrived on playa? Seems like it would have been a better solution than extending yourself.
Evilboi wrote: Being almost 60 and physically handicapped I pictured myself working in a trailer or at a post providing information, herding cats, picking up moop as a Ranger.
There are roles that do take place in support roles, but are you saying you thought that you'd simply go directly to that post and be put to work vs. going through a full Ranger training?
Evilboi wrote: There were no applications given out for any specific jobs at the training.
Yes, this is because all Rangers are dirt rangers, first and foremost. The initial and ongoing training requirement each year remains for as long as you Ranger. You do not have to do the mentor portion each year, just the training "class." But you do this even if you work in trailer, truck, etc.

Evilboi wrote: We were photographed for ID badges and told to appear at the event in order to have an on-site training of about 4 hours, where we would then be voted (sic) ‘On or off the island’...

We were told to report at the main Ranger Camp early and upon arrival pointed to a box of handmade Ranger vests to wear during the day. Each of us would spend time with three different chosen Rangers who would assess us as volunteers. And, we would have walkie-talkies and were to listen to real VS made up commands and situations. If we failed to listen or act correctly to the orders given over the devices we would fail Ranger training, “So you better be listening all the time!”.


Yes. This is the mentoring process and only happens on playa.
Evilboi wrote: As I can’t walk well I showed up with my bike and walked with my group as much as I could, or sat on the seat and walked my bike as we were led around and questioned. As is my nature, I collected moop as we walked in our group of four. Our lead Ranger was pleasant enough but scowled each time I picked up yet another glo-stick or got on my bike. His focus appeared to be to walk us to a Ranger station where he was camped so that he could get an early morning beer for himself.


I'm wondering....did you present to the mentors that you needed accommodation via your bike or a more stationary mentor shift? I cannot fathom that anyone would not have tried to accommodate had you identified as so. Reading your description, it feels like you seemed distracted (by your bike and attention to moop) vs. the mentoring process.


Evilboi wrote:The second Ranger I was assigned to was a person who had a very difficult time communicating with me using the proper pro-nouns. Did I say I am gender fluid and although bio-female, prefer ‘him’ or ‘they’ when addressed?


No, you hadn't mentioned that. And yea...overcoming a lifetime of use of common English speech is really difficult time to do with a 5 minute notice. This "they" crap is so far beyond the pale. Look, I fully support non-cis gendered people having a pronoun all their own. But it certainly doesn't have to co-opt a common piece of speech, causing confusion and then being offended when people don't instantly "get" it. You instead should have been supportive of his attempts to try to use the pronoun you desired.
Evilboi wrote:Anyhoodle, we were led to the Man himself and I was ordered by my trainer/Ranger to ‘Go to the top of the Man and change his direction as fast as you can’. (Last year you could crank the statue to point in different ways). As ordered, I began my climb up the stairs to the top and gently, with permission, limped and squeezed past my fellow citizens and begged my way up. I looked down before the stairs disappeared into the core of the man and saw the trainer motioning me to return. I did so immediately. When I came back to the group she said, “Rangers aren’t supposed to butt in line” and pulled out a notebook and appeared to write me up. She then walked us to the opposite side of the Playa and asked really odd questions and had even weirder comments back to our small group of trainees. At @ high noon she pointed to a theme camp where people were standing around in the shade and said, ‘Go engage with them’. We walked up as a group, said hello and made light talk and enjoyed the shade. When we left she commented, ‘You must always ask permission to use a Burner’s shade’. We had not asked any permission and again, her little notebook came out to give us demerits.
Not so much demerits. Really taking notes on how you communicate, how you interact with participants, how you portray Ranger authority, and how you problem solve. There is limited time, and they need to take notes on the small interactions they note.

Evilboi wrote: We were led back to the main Ranger camp with all the other trainees. There were maybe 30 of us? What was supposed to be a four hour walkabout had lasted eight hours on the Playa. In my almost decade of coming to BRC I had never walked so far and see so much from the ground level. I was physically beat up but smiling that I had walked the walk and had fun. There was water for us to drink, and we were to wait under the shade on benches, to wait our fate. Frankly, I thought we would just wait for our assignments?
Now this just sounds odd. It outlines the process in the manual. The process is talked about in the training, especially in the morning of the Alpha training. It's really pretty hard to be surprised by the format.


Evilboi wrote: Finally, the ‘judges’ came out. We were told if anyone didn’t want to be a Ranger they “Should leave now.” I remember a few people did get up and go, admitting ‘Not my thing’ or ‘Maybe next year’. It was all friendly. One of my co-wannabes was called up by one of the Rangers. She was in her mid-20’s and had been a self-confessed burner for half her life. We watched as a few Rangers stood by her and talked quietly. She turned around and came back to our group with tears in her eyes and said, “I didn’t make it.” She was really heartbroken and upset, grabbed her bag and walked off. She dropped her pocket watch and I picked it up and returned it to her. She was sobbing that she couldn’t believe ‘they won’t take me as a volunteer’. My fellow trainees mumbled in disbelief. Next up an older gentleman was called upon to talk to the Rangers. He was a college professor and had been in one of my groups. Really nice guy and yet he was quietly told he didn’t make it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy that age cry except at a wedding or funeral. He was completely devastated and in utter disbelief and also walked off immediately as if he had a bus to catch. A few others were called up, and then I was too. No, I didn’t ‘make it’. I was told by one of the three Rangers I had walked with that I was too strong a personality for them and that bringing a bike was a bad choice. I was also invited to apply again next year for Ranger training.
Yes, the bonking process is a very tough one. You noted how long the post mentor discussion was. Delivering bad news is hard, and people have an emotional engagement with Burning Man, so that only tends to amplify it.
Evilboi wrote: I believe someone out there protects me from bad, and after that Day of Judgment and discrimination I don’t want to be a Ranger given the mindset and Ranger ethic I witnessed.
Precisely what discrimination did you witness? What is this maladjusted ethic you so loathe? Is it that they didn't take everyone you thought was nice? That they didn't take you specifically? That they weren't more understanding and accommodating of your bike? Of your pronoun choice?
Evilboi wrote: Burning Man is certainly concerned about sexual harassment but had/has no sensitivity training for LGBT citizens and potential Rangers. Nor, was there any mention or training given out about differently abled persons.
Aha! I think we have it now. You weren't treated special enough in your eyes. Got it. I personally know LGBT Rangers, am close friend with a gender fluid non-Cisgendered male Ranger who thinks the world of them and their process. Likewise I know many mobility challenged Rangers that work Echelon and other support roles because walking the dirt is just too difficult now. They too feel welcomed and part of the group.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8327
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:46 pm

I've been through Ranger training many times just because it was fun!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5864
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by BBadger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Thank you for making that glacier-of-text readable via your reply LoR.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12571
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Savannah » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:59 pm

The Ranger manual is indeed readily available (on their website, I think) . . . and a great read.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3756
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:00 pm

I know there is a real glamor to the Ranger name and they have had a good reputation in BRC. But I have to say, sadly, that I heard a very similar story from a very different person last year: purposefully harsh and deceptive trainers, "gotcha!" kind of tests, a shift that stretched to double the stated length with no chance to get more water or food... and then after waiting and waiting and waiting, being turned away for being "too Burner-ey," whatever that means... :?

And, I have stood & stared at a dark, deserted Ranger Station night after night from Med Station 3. :| Folks who come looking for Ranger assistance at night are SOL. :? So for them to be turning away well-meaning volunteers is kind of a death sentence for that program.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2563
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 pm

Perhaps this year I will sign up for Ranger training.
[media]
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:21 pm

I don't know, Bri. You'll have to deal with that terrible 60s khaki and that over-bearing theme music.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8327
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:53 pm

I met one bad Ranger last year. He stopped me on my M/V, rather rudely and power-trippily, for not having registration.
I told him to go look at the prominently and clearly displayed stickers in their proper left rear location as installed by the DMV. I may have also said something about him being fucking blind, but who wouldn't. After he saw them I was kind of expecting an apologetic or at least friendlier tone.
He bitched a little more about something or other, and I should have reported it because he was kind of power-tripping out but I didn't really care.
In that many people, I'd expect one or two asswipes to make it through. Maybe, possibly, they are just trying really hard to not take on anyone they aren't certain is right. I know they don't want stuff like my little story to happen.

Overall the Rangers are a good bunch that BRC needs to have.
They began as a search and rescue thing, literally saving people from dying in the desert. Today one of the best things they do is handle as many of the "issues" as possible so the cops don't have to. We all want the cops involved in as little of BRC's bidnis as possible.

Remember they are just burners, not getting paid.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Lord Of Ruin
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:22 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:18 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:I know there is a real glamor to the Ranger name and they have had a good reputation in BRC. But I have to say, sadly, that I heard a very similar story from a very different person last year: purposefully harsh and deceptive trainers, "gotcha!" kind of tests, a shift that stretched to double the stated length with no chance to get more water or food... and then after waiting and waiting and waiting, being turned away for being "too Burner-ey," whatever that means... :?

And, I have stood & stared at a dark, deserted Ranger Station night after night from Med Station 3. :| Folks who come looking for Ranger assistance at night are SOL. :? So for them to be turning away well-meaning volunteers is kind of a death sentence for that program.
Harsh? Umm...I suppose that's in the eyes of the person being trained. There are some things done to put participants off balance, to get them to power trip, to get them to lose their cool a bit. I know on some things that I've been involved in what I saw as a very professional interaction (introductions, handshakes, taking notes on what was being said, looking the participant in the eye while they talked) was later characterized as "rude and dismissive." The point was that the people flagging the Rangers wanted them to "go do ...." That's not really how the Rangers work. We're not the tattle-tale police. So the differing expectations can yield remarkably different impressions.

I can honestly call bullshit on the no food and water. Rangers are told to BRING food and water on every shift, including alpha. They also visit at least 3 places that have water readily available. And also the shift isn't more than about 6 hours all in....so really, ya need a meal?

The decision process at the end is always criticized. The longer they take to be thorough, the more cruel it appears.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10186
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:00 pm

We're always told to "Find a Ranger".

So what is your function and when SHOULD we "Find a Ranger"?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Lord Of Ruin
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:22 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:33 pm

FIGJAM wrote:We're always told to "Find a Ranger".

So what is your function and when SHOULD we "Find a Ranger"?

Ah...good point!

You should certainly find a Ranger when you have a problem. For some things, a Ranger can help you themselves, immediately. This is usually with information: "Hey Ranger....where is Super Yummy Noodle Camp? Do you know?" "Yes, go down about 5 camps on the right down that way."

You should certainly find a Ranger about a medical or law enforcement issue, unless you happen to be within sight of one of the medical outposts. Going direct in that instance might be quicker, but a Ranger will still be happy to help.

But there's now a whole HUGE swath of things that people "find a Ranger" about that really means "Hey Ranger, this thing is making my vacation not go how I imagined it. Can you go take care of that for me? Kthxbai." That is NOT what Rangers do, really. They work with participants, often the person bringing the complaint, to resolve conflicts about things. Being uninvolved in the conflict, they can often see simple solutions that both parties are ok with. Often they share community rules that one side seems to be overlooking and helps them understand why and how to get back in with the community.

In certain rare circumstances, Rangers will escalate things to authority (these are normally law enforcement issues) and then provide support to the LE and participants while the issue is dealt with.

But a huge group of BRC citizens mistake the Rangers as some sort of mix of concierge and mall cop.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29372
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by ygmir » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:We're always told to "Find a Ranger".

So what is your function and when SHOULD we "Find a Ranger"?

Ah...good point!

You should certainly find a Ranger when you have a problem. For some things, a Ranger can help you themselves, immediately. This is usually with information: "Hey Ranger....where is Super Yummy Noodle Camp? Do you know?" "Yes, go down about 5 camps on the right down that way."

You should certainly find a Ranger about a medical or law enforcement issue, unless you happen to be within sight of one of the medical outposts. Going direct in that instance might be quicker, but a Ranger will still be happy to help.

But there's now a whole HUGE swath of things that people "find a Ranger" about that really means "Hey Ranger, this thing is making my vacation not go how I imagined it. Can you go take care of that for me? Kthxbai." That is NOT what Rangers do, really. They work with participants, often the person bringing the complaint, to resolve conflicts about things. Being uninvolved in the conflict, they can often see simple solutions that both parties are ok with. Often they share community rules that one side seems to be overlooking and helps them understand why and how to get back in with the community.

In certain rare circumstances, Rangers will escalate things to authority (these are normally law enforcement issues) and then provide support to the LE and participants while the issue is dealt with.

But a huge group of BRC citizens mistake the Rangers as some sort of mix of concierge and mall cop.
well said, a good and thoughtful response.......thanks. LOR.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3756
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
I can honestly call bullshit on the no food and water. Rangers are told to BRING food and water on every shift, including alpha. They also visit at least 3 places that have water readily available. And also the shift isn't more than about 6 hours all in....so really, ya need a meal?

The decision process at the end is always criticized. The longer they take to be thorough, the more cruel it appears.
Please don't call bullshit on me, LOR, I personally saw this person leave camp with plenty food for 6 hours and 3.5 liters of water. Person came back after 14 hours, saying Alpha shift was doubled, then lengthened for the "vote off the island." Water bottle refill was not permitted, as station supply was for "Rangers only." Not permitted to accept offers of food or water from camps visited, as "Rangers can't take gifts on duty." So, this person was considered not Ranger enough to get water from Rangers, but too Ranger to get water from anyone else. Oh and coming back to get more water or food would be an automatic fail.

So, yes I think 'harsh' is the right word. Well I can think of more colorful terms, but whoeve I am angry at is probably not you.

I still don't see how folks are supposed to "Find A Ranger" when the station is dark & deserted all night. And I do mean all night. I work nights at Medical, all night, and have seen this with my own disbelieving eyes. I watch people wander in there, look around, wander out... lost. Mostly they come over to the Med Station. Mostly I can't help them, beyond a drink of water and a place to sit until my supervisor chases them off. And that really pisses me off. I would join the Rangers just to man that Ranger Station all night, if they hadn't been so shitty to my friend.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10186
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:20 pm

I trust MDFs judgment on this and LORs job description is kind of vague "to resolve conflict about things".

What things?

The handicapped porto on our bank didn't have a padlock and the regular lock would jam and trap my niece inside.

I just wanted to ask a ranger who I should talk to about it as the service guys were busy and it wasn't their call to do anything about it.

The first 2 rangers I asked were snotty and no help.

The 3rd one tried to find out who to talk to, but couldn't seem to get anyone on the radio who gave a shit.

All I needed from them was a little info and the one out of three that was willing couldn't get anybody to care.

Tiny Mystic was ready to leave her first burn because at one point someone had spewed all over the handicapped pottie.

I cleaned it all up to save her burn, but couldn't get this "conflict" resolved! :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3756
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:38 pm

(((Figjam))))

Thank you for saving Tiny Mystic's Burn, I really treasure meeting her and everything she shared with me. 8) 8) 8)

I often wonder if the Rangers have lost their connection to the Burner community, because,as a very wise person once said:

Trying to work for a community is bullshit.

Trying to work with a community is bullshit.

Trying to work as a community is the only way to succeed. You have to be invested in the outcome. Not caring is a sure sign that you should GTFO.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:58 pm

FIGJAM
If I had known, I would have suggested talking to ESD. I don't know how helpful they would have been, but they were always good with me. Or a friend with some sort of pry bar for some guerilla fixing the lock--those metal bar things, I take it?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
Ratty
Posts: 6130
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Ratty » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Did you try Robbie Dobbs? Camped in Terminal. I bet she knows exactly who and how to get potties fixed, cleaned, repaired. After all, she's been doin it wrong for a decade and a half.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:40 pm

*claps fin to head* D'oh!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10186
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Oh I vandalized USS property by cutting and making the sliding latch work (ook) , it was mainly not having a padlock to keep the pottie reserved that was the problem.

Robbie is everywhere during the event, so I wasn't sure I could track her down.

I emailed her. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
GreyCoyote
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:24 am
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:17 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Oh I vandalized USS property by cutting and making the sliding latch work (ook)...
Figjam has always struck me as the anarchist type. :mrgreen: (notice tongue planted firmly in cheek)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:20 pm

I was a little surprised that FIGJAM hadn't come up with a guerrilla solution when I read the first post. I don't know if fixing that sort of thing makes him an anarchist, but it does show a certain amount of disrespect to god, guns, and property.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
GreyCoyote
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:24 am
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I was a little surprised that FIGJAM hadn't come up with a guerrilla solution when I read the first post. I don't know if fixing that sort of thing makes him an anarchist, but it does show a certain amount of disrespect to god, guns, and property.
Hehehe. And it shows a huge love for his niece. So... GO ANARCHY!!! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10186
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I was a little surprised that FIGJAM hadn't come up with a guerrilla solution when I read the first post. I don't know if fixing that sort of thing makes him an anarchist, but it does show a certain amount of disrespect to god, guns, and property.
Respect has to be earned, not given, but they can keep trying if they want mine!!!!!!!! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
Jovankat
Posts: 1670
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:11 am
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children
Location: Oakland or Australia

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Jovankat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Am I understanding this correctly, the accessible portaloos are kept locked to reserve them for those who actually need them? How does one get a key then? The logiciatics of that sound kinda problematic. Or is there some sort of universal accessible toilet access key that all people who need it are issued with in the US, like the special keys for electrical distribution cupboards that the fire department have?

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10186
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:02 pm

They're combo locks and the people who need them are given the combo.

That's what I've been told, but haven't seen a lock yet.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 19003
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:28 pm

thread drift, but meeting tiny mystic last year was also one of my very fond memories....im glad you saved her burn too.
Frida Be You & Me

User avatar
Mojojita
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Mojojita » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 am

^ Yup, what he said.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

User avatar
Mojojita
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by Mojojita » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:53 am

I have oceans of respect and admiration for the Rangers I know - no doubt, like any other volunteer group, some are better at it than others. The problem I have had in the last couple of years is finding one when needed if I didn't have a radio.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10186
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Ranger Trainees-watch out!

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:25 am

Doesn't bother me that much.

If I can't find an answer I'll create one! :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Post Reply

Return to “Stories”