Rape does occur at Burning Man

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

A Hard Question

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:03 am

This abstract for me.
Is is ever acceptable for a woman to decide what risks she's willing to take, lose the gamble and say to herself "Okay, I was raped, but it's still my experience. I'm glad I got the good experiences. I'm glad I didn't live in fear. I am a grown-up and I get to make my own mistakes and I get to learn from them. I am not a victim of my own life."

I know that once I adapted that sort of attitude that my life improved--although the real tests of it so far haven't been so hard.

And is it ethical for us to try and foster that in burners--while also trying are darndest to cut down on the incidences of rape.

Thoughts?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:47 am

YerNotDaBossOMe wrote:A universally understood gesture that means "this guy is making me uncomfortable" could signal to him and everyone around exactly what is happening.
The default safeword at local parties (the one where everyone else knows to get involved) is "safeword." We could work on a common loud everybody else come running "NO."

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:38 am

Badger wrote:

N O T H I N G in Black Rock City should should EVER take precedence over a person who has been sexually violated.

Nothing.

What saddens me is that a victim for whatever reason feels compelled to remain silent about her/his sexual victimization for fear of killing the buzz of the event. I don't understand the rational at all so I'll try to make no judgement. Its just so DAMN alien to me that people are somehow deterred from bringing the issue forward. i mean, is this what's referred to as 'victim's guilt?'

Help me grok this one folks.
Maybe someone already answered this, but i'm gonna talk from a first hand place and say it anyway.

Badger, rape is a completely confusing and violating experience. almost all rapes go unreported for one reason or another. from a general society that doubts the victim's innocent to grappling with a loss of part of yourself, there's so much shit to sort through. and sometimes all you want to do is go hide in a hole and not have to talk about it, not have to rehash it. i'm sure it's different for everybody...

there is a huge shame cloud around the issue. how many times have you heard someone say something about how she was 'asking for it?' i've had people say that shit about me when they weren't even on the same continent and didn't know what happened. any time you tell ANYONE, you face a decent possibility that you'll receive that response. it's a disgusting problem with this society, but it's really prevalent.

on top of that, there's the burden of finding some random dude in a strange ass desert city and then bringing him to justice. what are the chances? low, unless you know him. so why go through the process of reporting it when it won't change anything? then there's the fact that it is BM. would local authorities believe that it was rape or would they chalk it up to a bunch or horny raver hippies? i know the Rangers would be cool, but about the LEOs i'd have my doubts. i know, maybe he would be found, maybe it should be reported regardless... i'm just trying to give you some of the possible thought processes.

i don't know if keeping BM's reputation clean was the whole reason for the silence or not, but silence among rape victims is incredibly common. i think most of us would be surprised.... in some of my communities the instance of rape and sexual assault against females runs around 3/4. i'm pretty young, and in that community most of the women are younger than i. many aren't even old enough to drink legally. frankly, i also know quite a few men who have been victims of sexual abuse, too, but they likewise never reported it. out of all those people, maybe one or two made reports. usually it's just a few friends who know, and that's it.

hope that makes sense and that i'm not repeating too much.

oh, and check out the Clothesline Project.
victims and friends of victims make shirts (anonymously or not) about their experiences. i found it really valuable.
surlier than thou

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:41 pm

Lydia Love wrote: "Put your hand on me and you'll pull back a bloody stump".
i.
want.
that.
shirt.

:twisted:
surlier than thou

Rian Jackson

Re: A Hard Question

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:00 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:This abstract for me.
Is is ever acceptable for a woman to decide what risks she's willing to take, lose the gamble and say to herself "Okay, I was raped, but it's still my experience. I'm glad I got the good experiences. I'm glad I didn't live in fear. I am a grown-up and I get to make my own mistakes and I get to learn from them. I am not a victim of my own life."
absolutely, ms. fish.
that's a choice i have had to make a couple of times - almost in the same wording. for me, it's not worth living life if you aren't going to experience it. that doesn't mean being stupid, of course, and i have been called a risk-taker at times. but still.

it's largely because of these things that i'm a pretty tough cookie these days. it may not be fun, it may not be easy, but i sure as hell can survive a lot.

i'm not gonna say i'm glad these things have happened to me. that's perhaps going a bit too far. but it's part of my past, part of who i am. so i don't really have a problem with it, most times.

my experiences with these situations, while painful, unpleasant, and resulting in lasting damage, were the only thing that gave me a true understanding of where my friends were at when it happened to them and they needed someone.

pain teaches compassion.
And is it ethical for us to try and foster that in burners--while also trying are darndest to cut down on the incidences of rape.

Thoughts?
yes, i would think, depending on how you do it. though i think that's a very common ethos in the community at large already.
surlier than thou

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:53 pm

Gah, I had a big post for this but it was too much repeating what's already been said so well.

I agree Crypofishy (your neice is right on, groping and grinding is pretty common at bars, not just at BM), and very nice post Rian.

I think we all have to pay more attention to each other and look after each other's well being.

I do eat and drink whatever I want, I just tell people I'm with what I'm doing and if the bearer creeps me out, I don't take it.

CoworkerLurker

Post by CoworkerLurker » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:15 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:
Lydia Love wrote: "Put your hand on me and you'll pull back a bloody stump".
i.
want.
that.
shirt.

:twisted:
My favorite (Darlene said this on "Roseanne"):

"Any part of you that touches me, you don't get back."

theCryptofishist

Re: ~

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:15 pm

sparkletarte wrote:I agree Crypofishy (your neice is right on, groping and grinding is pretty common at bars, not just at BM).
Just to clarify, that's dman's niece. She's still right.

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:49 pm

Ah, thanks.

regynalonglank

and we're rolling

Post by regynalonglank » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:28 am

sweet!

and we are rolling...interested in participating? collecting donated supplies to distribute? hosting a tea party? sharing information? just want to stop by and say hey...let us know how you would like to be a part of this new camp dedicated to women and those who love them.

we need evolved guys who are into educating their brothers on how to behave in a world without rules with respect and integrity, and still manage to have a whole ton of fun in the process.

we need hotties to hand out condoms and lube and flow the playa love to one and all. lets get the word out on the street - respect, consent and fun

we need you!

wanna play?

if you think you could articulately communicate about your feelings around being a man in a sexually charged atmosphere with very few rules and perhaps help some of your brothers understand how to be respectful and still have fun, then we need you.

if you have hugs to give, an ear to lend, a sense of humor around latex, like to play the gracious host or hostess, want to make a difference in creating a safe atmosphere for everyone to play in, like to flow the playa love, have a sex positive attitude, are accepting of others and interested in learning and sharing, then we need you.

we are setting up a camp to distribute condoms, lube, information, tea and sanctuary and we're looking for a few good men and women to help out with the outreach to the community.

interested?
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:48 am

Are you possibly interested in Toy Demos?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:58 am

Absolutely! that would be fabulous...
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

dragonfly Jafe

Re: A Hard Question

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:03 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Is is ever acceptable for a woman to decide what risks she's willing to take, lose the gamble and say to herself "Okay, I was raped, but it's still my experience.
No. It is not. Period.

read the following to see where I am coming from...

"Is is ever acceptable for a woman to decide what risks she's willing to take, lose the gamble and say to herself "Okay, I was MURDERED, but it's still my experience"

Violence against another is never acceptable. Maybe ACCEPTED, but never acceptable.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:35 pm

alright ePlayans, it is down to you. the burners of tribe.net have responded, and we have quite a few good men and women ready to participate in what will be the most fun, the most outrageous endeavor ever to hit the playa - so where you at? c'mon ePlaya, you gonna let the tribesters have all the fun? pm me your email address, and get involved!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:00 pm

or just go on tribe and find us, we are the BRC Sexual Assault Prevention tribe. You can check out what we are up to, and join if you want to participate.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:15 pm

Missed this thread recently.

Thanks for the clarification Rian. Much, much appreciated.
Desert dogs drink deep.

littlewing

umm.. no

Post by littlewing » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:01 pm

Okay, I was raped, but it's still my experience. I'm glad I got the good experiences. I'm glad I didn't live in fear. I am a grown-up and I get to make my own mistakes and I get to learn from them. I am not a victim of my own life."

Well, first of all, it's not a good experience.

Secondly, I was a huge risk taker... no apologies necessary, carpe diem, squeeze every drop outta life... Sure there were several times where I got myself into a less than good situtuation. I closed my eyes, got the fucking over with and got up and left. Well, that was still my decision. I chose to go through with it, and someone else, more pristine or more of a victime mentality might have called it rape, but I was willing to accept my responsibility in getting myself there and I never felt like a victim.

This time it was different. I did not want to have unprotected sex. We had discussed and agreed that we would use a condom. No problem. But when it came down to it, the guy refused to use one and he pinned down my arms, I was yelling NO, NO, Stop, I don't want this! He stuck his dick in me and came. He got up, put on his pants and said"thanks for the peice of ass"

Now how do you think I should deal with that? Chock it up to experience? You bet I learned from it. It tore out my heart and fucked me up heart and soul. I felt dirty,worthless, shamed and guilty that I had gotten myself into that situation in the first place. Little by little my sense of self dissolved away. I thought I was strong, I could handle it. I tried. I failed. But here I am today still.

Does shine any light on your abstract?

littlewing

Re: umm.. no

Post by littlewing » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:02 pm

littlewing wrote:
Okay, I was raped, but it's still my experience. I'm glad I got the good experiences. I'm glad I didn't live in fear. I am a grown-up and I get to make my own mistakes and I get to learn from them. I am not a victim of my own life."
Well, first of all, it's not a good experience.

Secondly, I was a huge risk taker... no apologies necessary, carpe diem, squeeze every drop outta life... Sure there were several times where I got myself into a less than good situtuation. I closed my eyes, got the fucking over with and got up and left. Well, that was still my decision. I chose to go through with it, and someone else, more pristine or more of a victime mentality might have called it rape, but I was willing to accept my responsibility in getting myself there and I never felt like a victim.

This time it was different. I did not want to have unprotected sex. We had discussed and agreed that we would use a condom. No problem. But when it came down to it, the guy refused to use one and he pinned down my arms, I was yelling NO, NO, Stop, I don't want this! He stuck his dick in me and came. He got up, put on his pants and said"thanks for the peice of ass"

Now how do you think I should deal with that? Chock it up to experience? You bet I learned from it. It tore out my heart and fucked me up heart and soul. I felt dirty,worthless, shamed and guilty that I had gotten myself into that situation in the first place. Little by little my sense of self dissolved away. I thought I was strong, I could handle it. I tried. I failed. But here I am today still.

Does shine any light on your abstract?

littlewing

Post by littlewing » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:05 pm

sorry, My first post I got screwed up. I don't know how to edit or delete in this forum.. I took a long time for me to get here.... Apologies to all

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:27 pm

no need to apologize. the fact that you are here at all rocks my world. you are seriously the bravest person i know. no one deserves to be treated that way - ever. period.

i've closed my eyes and just gotten the fucking over a few times myself. sometimes that's just a choice one has to make, is it worth it? only you can know. i defend your right to make that choice, no matter what you choose.

this was different. you said no, you said it loudly and clearly and you fought physically as well as you could in the position you were in. what he did is clearly wrong, in every sense of the word.

you get to deal with it any way that works for you, whatever gets you up in the morning and gets your life lived, that's what you get to do. and i get to think that you are the most amazing person i know, and that you are my hero. thank you for sharing your story. it will change the world. it has already changed mine.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:06 am

Littlewing
I guess what I was after was more about the not taking risks thing. Just how much do you (or I) want to live in fear. And then there's the fact that life just isn't safe.

Not to say that thay guy wasn't a creep. And I was definately after your choice, not my trying to remake your choice.

Thanks for your answer.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

littlewing

Post by littlewing » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:36 pm

CF,
No, I don't want to live in fear, and I don't want to scare anyone into living that way. But I do, now, live in mistrust. And a little wariness might be a good thing.

How do you balance it all? You don't want to be afraid to go out, and you don't want to distrust everyone you run into, anyone who offers you a hand, or a fruity drink. But, at the same time, feeling like you are invincible and that nothing bad will ever happen to you isn't realistic either. I think that's what I thought in the past. I've been very lucky and fortunate in my life of experimentation. Many people haven't fared as well as me. So for that I am grateful.

I would just like to see the aggressive sex problem dealt with in the same upfront, out-in-the-daylight way that Bman deals with other things such as portapotties, trash and hydration. I would love to follow PeeFunnel Camp's lead and see signs put up in every pottie. That is the most effective way to get the word out.

Did you get your ticket order pamphlet? See where they list things like "pack it in-pack it out"? I want to see "No means no... respect other peoples boundries" put right there along with all the other Bman catchphrases amassed over the years.

Anyway, I'm a bit touchy on the whole subject. But thanks always for your concern and understanding.

Besides that, I would also like to see "Don't steal other people's bikes!" LOL! Oh! ...how about "Come on people... stop hitting and stealing and forcing your tongue down unwilling peoples' throats and your dick into unwilling orafices. Be good to each other for all our sakes! What the fuck are you out here for anyway? Show some respect!"

BlueBirdPoof

Post by BlueBirdPoof » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:17 am

this is CF in disguise.

Reygna and some others are spearheading exactly the sort of thing you're talking about. PM her and have her invite you to the tribe on tribe that's working on it. We'd love to have your input. and any help you can give us.

InhouseSucks

Re: Rape does occur at Burning Man

Post by InhouseSucks » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:53 pm

[quote="regynalonglank"]Someone was overheard on playa this year speaking to a large group saying that there has never been a rape at Burning Man. Sadly, this is not true. It did not happen to me, but to one of my camp mates a few years ago...and she has talked to others with similar experiences. None of these women chose to report the rape to authorities, which is their own business, but I think it is important for the community at large to be informed about the risk involved being a female citizen of BRC.

The rape could have occurred anywhere, assholes do not respect people's limits in any city, there is no statute of limitations on being a total jerk. My point is that going around saying there has never been a rape creates an inaccurate feeling of safety, which could cause women to behave in an unsafe manner, and end up getting hurt.

The last thing I would want to do is create bad press about BRC, I love it there. But let's be honest, please. It ain't all playa love out there, and some people do take it too dang far. So be careful out there girls, and watch your ass.[/quote]

Well, there was someone along 4:30 this year that the cops arrested, and finally explained to those gathered around that they had "taken care" of this "sexual predator". So it seems that at least sexual assualts do occur there. So ladies, understand that you likely have to be on as much guard as you normally might be in the city. i.e., be safe.

(And I like the other ideas about positive actions to take to keep the godesses safe while at the event. How did they work out this year??)

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:11 pm

Just like anywhere else, and just like a few people have pointed out on the theft thread, we all have to be caeful even when we're at BM. It's great and most peope there are good, but statistics show that a certain percentage of the people there will be rapists, thieves, pedophiles, schizophrenics with knives. It's a vacation to a crazy, naked, stoned, drunk city. It's fun, but it's not Utopia.

You have to be careful and realistic. Probably don't need to carry mace, but be aware, for sure.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

desertswine

sexuall assault

Post by desertswine » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:53 pm

To all e-playans,as a person who works law enforcement,most victims feels guilt,or that what happened is their fault,let me say their the VICTIM,plain and simple.Whether you drunk,on mushrooms,or what ever,it should never happen.People who take advantage of a situation like that should be prosecuted outright. We have crisis teams,councelors,medical professionals who are there to help.And if all else fails seek out the Chupacabra Policia,and we'll deal the very bad person.Lothos

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: sexuall assault

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:50 am

desertswine wrote:.And if all else fails seek out the Chupacabra Policia,and we'll deal the very bad person.Lothos
The "goatsucker police."

I like you already. :>
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

TheRock

Post by TheRock » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:50 pm

Hi, I read this, and wanted to reply. First of all, this is a very difficult situation you found yourself in and I do not think many would have done better in handling it.

[quote="dman"]I am having some trouble rationalizing a situation that occurred the night of the burn; maybe some of you have some suggestions on better responses for the next time something like this happens.

I was playing watchdog after the burn for my nieces and their companions, all of whom were tripping pretty heavily. At one point we were watching the moving fire sculptures around 6:30 and Esplanade, on the far side away from the Esplanade; we were standing back from the main perimeter of people about 10 feet or so, just taking it in.

A man came wandering through in the gap and proceeded to make a pass/insult at the niece and her companion furthest away, something like, "Hey buddy, you better start making out with your girl before I do.", or some such. We ignored him (actually, my friends may have been too loaded to even know what was going on; but their reaction was the same).
**** So, by law, if the couple *feels threatened* that is cause for civil action.

He turned and went to the front line of people a grabbed a girl who was astride her bike & seemed to be by herself, and kissed her. She obviously didn't like this because she pushed him away and tried to slap him, but he just laughed and turned away.
***** By law, I believe, this constitutes assault, and can be criminally charged.

At which point he got to me, and my response was, "I am the security for this group and you're not welcome here, so fuck off." He didn't like that, but seemed cogent enough to not push me further the wrong way. So instead he says, "I haven't done anything wrong, what are you so uptight about?"
**** Response: Yes you have done something wrong. You can be arrested. You can leave now, or stay while I have the authorities brought here.

To which I replied, "Let's ask the young lady you just assaulted.", and I started walking over to the woman on the bike. "Her? She needed to be kissed. Besides, she slapped me; I can take a hint." But, too late, we're up to the woman on the bike. "Ma'am, do you know this gentleman?" She shakes her head no. At this point the man sees where this is going and says, "OK, OK, I'm leaving." and proceeds to wander off into the blackness toward the remains of the burn.
**** Yeah, shaky b/c it places the woman in a position of increased involvement without the presence of official supervision. But you getting information shows the guy you are willing to actively confront him -- such people are usually bullies, and are easily intimidated (which makes them all the more pathetic) by such demonstrations.

In retrospect I think I should have said something; Probably nothing could be done at that point, but I could have given the Sherriff's deputies a description, at least.

the guy didn't seem so out of control he couldn't take a hint, the woman didn't seem too put out about it,
**** A slap on the face is NOT a HINT just like kissing a woman without permission is not an act of self-expression or casual conversation. It is sexual assault. Turning your head away from the first "hello" is a hint and that should have been enough. Your family not saying anything to his first approach of "you going to kiss her or should I" should have been enough of a hint. Again, i do not intend this to sound like a criticism for your letter here, or the actions you took. I do not feell that way at all, as they are both much needed. These statements are intended to let others who read it know that they are well within their rights to take the steps you took.

So, I am confuzzled on what to do should something like this happen again.

Your thoughts?[/quote]

passport

Various

Post by passport » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:32 pm

This is an intense and interesting thread. I know this is wandering away from the rape issue a little, but I agree that Burning Man needs better norms to deal with the whole issue of flirtation, meeting people, etc., because it threatens the entire vibe.

The idea of Burning Man as a pick-up scene is one of the most serious threats to BM, both for men and women. For women, of course, it means a tonne of unwanted attention and harassment, and even the threat of sexual violence. We've talked about this alot.

For men, however, the effects can also be bad, in a different way. They can be sucked into thinking that if they didn't "score" at Burning Man, the event, somehow, has been a failure. I have seen friends and people obsessed with trying to land a one-night stand at the burn, and miserable if they "fail." It can even become a competitive thing for men, and in sum totally at odds with what the burn is supposed to be about.

So what people are talking about here is right. We need to understand that the idea of (1) radical inclusion and (2) a pick-up scene are fundamentally inconsistent.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:53 am

Just as an update. A man was arrested for two attempted assults. Turns out he was the same guy who commited a rape 4 years ago. (Okay, there's the legal question of innoscent until proven guilty, and there's the other reality... I dont' want to get into that tangle right now.) That bastard's been using us as his private hunting ground for years. Yuch.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Stories”