Rape does occur at Burning Man

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Oubliet
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Karma Chickens

I read that in the newpaper on the Playa

Post by Oubliet » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:12 pm

So, this year, there were incidents reported and a suspect was arrested.

If this guy is a repeat offender, so much the better that he was nabbed this time.

I fear that the great success and popularity of BRC is leading to the attraction of bozos like this who come to hunt and prey on people.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:12 pm

It’s my opinion, that we, as a community have a responsibility to each other, especially when it comes to situations such as those previously mentioned. I want to commend TheRock for handling that situation in, what I feel to be, a perfect fashion.

A passing comment to people is ignored and dude goes on... He imposes himself on the lady, she handles it and dude goes on... I don’t think anybody needs me to be a hero for them so I’d only step in if it appears to be getting beyond someone abilities to handle. And I’ll always divert to the authorities if they are present. And I think you must have felt similarly by the actions you took.

The key I think was that you let him get into your space, rather than you moving into his. If you’d moved into his, then he’d have been in defense mode instantly and you may have had a fight on your hands... maybe. But instead you caught him way off guard with something other than a threat... you caught him with a real world repercussion for his actions. And he chose to move it on out. Good damn job... Now imagine if there were 50 other people out there watching him and waiting to take the opportunity should he come by. Now imagine again if every corner he turned and tried that crap, he was called on it by one, or two, or fifteen people.

Wouldn’t take long for him to decide to either change his actions or beat feet out of the city.

I think we should be one big community watch neighborhood when it comes to each others welfare. That’s the way I'm looking at it at least.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

geekster

Post by geekster » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:46 pm

Or they could simply change the wording on the back of the ticket to read:

You risk serious injury, death, rape, sodomy, pillage, plunder ....
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:02 pm

That sounds like Apokiliptika speak to me.

(casts a suspicious eye)
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Jesus
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco//SF, CA

Post by Jesus » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:59 am

Important thread; someone referred to it in a recent post.
theCryptofishist wrote:Just as an update. A man was arrested for two attempted assults. Turns out he was the same guy who commited a rape 4 years ago. [....] That bastard's been using us as his private hunting ground for years. Yuch.
Have his name or picture, or news?

I've been thinking if there's any point having a blacklist, and having BM not sell tickets to 'em. But I don't think so; due to the ticket market here, and cash sales, I guess there's not much point.

The very good survival guide this and last year says up front that 'anti-social behavior' can result in ejection. Is 16-pages clearly show great effort to ensure that nothing that would prevent the burn from continuing to occur doesn't happen, and a good as possible experience for participants.
On page six, it now says:

A Note From Our Friends at B.E.D.

Black Rock City can be an erotically charged environment. We want to help prevent sexual harassment and assault while ensuring that sex-positive free expression thrives! It is imperative to know and express your own sexual boundaries and to ask about and respect your partners' boundaries. As the Bureau of Erotic Discourse (B.E.D.) reminds us: Silence is not consent. Communication is the best lubricant! To find out more, get in B.E.D. at www.bureauoferoticdiscourse.org.
YAY!

Rocketman

Women need to know what goes on and what to do

Post by Rocketman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 am

Following up on an earlier comment...women (and men) need to know that boundaries still exist at Burning Man. If someone crosses your personal boundary you need to stand up for that and believe (hope) that surrounding Burners will provide you unequivocal support. I think people, especially virgins, are trying to go with the flow and aren't sure what's acceptable. I was approached and hugged by the hug partol this year. I was cool with that but some people might even be uncomfortable with that friendly and nice gesture.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Jesus wrote:Important thread; someone referred to it in a recent post.
theCryptofishist wrote:Just as an update. A man was arrested for two attempted assults. Turns out he was the same guy who commited a rape 4 years ago. [....] That bastard's been using us as his private hunting ground for years. Yuch.
Have his name or picture, or news?
No, although it was the opinion of someone I trust to have good judgement that there was probable cause to ban his reentry despite not haveing gone to trial. Don't know if that's what happened. Word is that he was working with (note: not a member of the camp) the Heebie Jeebie Healers, which pisses me off if true because it's misuse of a respected camp.

Mentioned the issue to my shrink who works with various outsider populations, and he said something I hadn't thought of before. That preditors are a special problem to fringe communities because we accept those who are different. STill thinking about that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Apollonaris Zeus

Re: Rape does occur at Burning Man

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 am

regynalonglank wrote: "None of these women chose to report the rape to authorities, which is their own business, but I think it is important for the community at large to be informed about the risk involved being a female citizen of BRC."

...there is no statute of limitations on being a total jerk...

...The last thing I would want to do is create bad press about BRC...
"Silence is not consent!" and it is not consenting that a rape has occured is just as bad! If you don't report it soon enough how are you going to get a DNA sample to apprehend perhaps a serial BM rapists. Or is the person affraid that there will be multiple sex partners sperm discovered so they stay silent.

Just because a person is a jerk doesn't mean they are a rapists!

Create bad press, come on the line is long and BM gets bad press all the times being truthful about the situation will protect women and men (men get rape too you know because I have been and by women too because I never verbally consented) in the future.

AIIZ

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:04 am

theCryptofishist wrote:... That preditors are a special problem to fringe communities because we accept those who are different. STill thinking about that.
Implying that folk who are different are more likely to be predators? Sorry that doesn't work for me. The main stream is full of predators, especially of a sexual nature. I don't buy the idea that predators are a special problem for fringe communities. If so rape wouldn't happen within the family so often, seems to me, and frat parties would be safe as little slices of the main stream culture....

Ron

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:47 am

Ron wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:... That preditors are a special problem to fringe communities because we accept those who are different. STill thinking about that.
Implying that folk who are different are more likely to be predators? Sorry that doesn't work for me. The main stream is full of predators, especially of a sexual nature. I don't buy the idea that predators are a special problem for fringe communities. If so rape wouldn't happen within the family so often, seems to me, and frat parties would be safe as little slices of the main stream culture....
No, I'm sorry I implied that, I was trying to be careful, but it's difficult. Just that some really obvious truly "off" people who would be thrown out of the suburbs for other behavior are tolerated. But I'd guess that the incidence of otherwise within behaviorsl limits rapists who don't give off loud signals is probably the same in either/any communinty.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Oubliet
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Karma Chickens

Post by Oubliet » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:22 am

Has anyone been able to follow up on the arrest that was made last year?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:15 pm

As of mid/late august no trial. But it's pending as far as I know.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:19 pm

Rumor has it that one of the Rainbow Gathering's predators showed up at BRC this year and was given the boot back out the gate. Does anyone know if that was true or not and if so did he get charged with anything?
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:53 pm

I heard only two evictions. Don't know who/what the 2nd was.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Stories”