getting more than i bargained for...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
drmo

getting more than i bargained for...

Post by drmo » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:42 am

the only really disturbing thing about my burning man experience this year:

me and a friend of mine ended up tripping without having taken any kind of illegal drug and it didn't seem like it was just from exhaustion or alcohol.

we were partying in the evening when we both pretty much simultaneously felt something wasn't quite right. so we figured we must have picked up some drink somewhere containing dodgy stuff. retracing out steps we think we identified the place where we might have had the offending drink. we had some stuff that tasted pretty disgusting and fortunatly only had a small amount. i distinctly remember asking the bartender about what was in the drink (due to its odd brown color) and he said, "never mind just drink it". of course it could have been somewhere else. or maybe we didn't even trip and it was just a sun stroke or something. unlikely though.

i realy don't have a problem with people making mushroom drinks (or whatever it was) and giving it away. but not to warn people or even worse if they ask not to tell them is taking the piss a bit i think. i do like to have some control over what i put in my body.

anyone had the same experience?

mo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:16 am

QuasiPseudo

Post by QuasiPseudo » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:35 am

Caveat Emptor...

dana

Oh no..what the fuck??!

Post by dana » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:40 pm

Yup. I felt stupid because I should have known better. The people who do that kind of shit deserve to die for the bizarre form of violence they choose to inflict on people. In their drug addled minds, they probably think its some sort of nice gift they're giving people. Instead it ends up being a frightening ordeal where you don't know what you're on, how pure, what dose, whether you're getting higher all the time, when its going to end..... on and on through the night as I twitched the night away by myself filled with paranoid delusions, wondering if that weird sensation in my chest might mean I was headed to an arhythmia and they'd find my body in the back of my camper.

I found myself seriously hoping that whoever gave it to me had taken enough of the same and fell asleep at the wheel driving home, a nice one car accident - roll-over with partial ejection and decapitation. Nothing painful - just clean and quick. That doesn't sound vengeful or anything, does it?

turtlemind

Post by turtlemind » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:23 pm

Not that someone who would do such a thing would take any kind of heed, but please realize that there are some people that are sober by choice, in recovery, or maybe are subject to urine tests at work. Such gifts could actually cause someone their job, thier sobriety, or worse.
Not knowing where I'm going is half the fun!

Icepack

Re: getting more than i bargained for...

Post by Icepack » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:36 pm

drmo wrote:the only really disturbing thing about my burning man experience this year:

me and a friend of mine ended up tripping without having taken any kind of illegal drug and it didn't seem like it was just from exhaustion or alcohol.

we were partying in the evening when we both pretty much simultaneously felt something wasn't quite right. so we figured we must have picked up some drink somewhere containing dodgy stuff. retracing out steps we think we identified the place where we might have had the offending drink. we had some stuff that tasted pretty disgusting and fortunatly only had a small amount. i distinctly remember asking the bartender about what was in the drink (due to its odd brown color) and he said, "never mind just drink it". of course it could have been somewhere else. or maybe we didn't even trip and it was just a sun stroke or something. unlikely though.

i realy don't have a problem with people making mushroom drinks (or whatever it was) and giving it away. but not to warn people or even worse if they ask not to tell them is taking the piss a bit i think. i do like to have some control over what i put in my body.

anyone had the same experience?

mo
Silly you! If the bartender was unwilling to tell you what was in it, why did you drink it?
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Otisserie

Re: getting more than i bargained for...

Post by Otisserie » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:39 pm

Icepack wrote:Silly you! If the bartender was unwilling to tell you what was in it, why did you drink it?
Bullshit. Many times people will say something like that because they don't want to say what alcohol is in it. Of course you should assume that drinks in a bar have alcohol. However, the bartender (or anyone handing you a drink) has every obligation to tell you if there's anything else in it. I don't care if it is Burning Man, that's just human decency. He is at fault, not the people he dosed, and I would be more than happy to see the little asshole rot in jail for it.

Post by Karma » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:36 pm

"Silly you! If the bartender was unwilling to tell you what was in it, why did you drink it?
"
I agree with Icepack. It's not like youre at a neighbors house or a local Pub.
It's funny lookin, dont taste good and the bartender wont tell ya whats in it?
Too many other places to get a drink in Black Rock to take that little adventure so far from home.
But Ottiserie (hope I spelled that right) has the final point.
If someones dosing their drinks at a bar,
They should be held down and have Volgon poetry read at them till they're dead !!
(or just beat the shit outta them)
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

drmo

Post by drmo » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:40 pm

i was lucky because i only had a small amount of the drink before i left it because it tasted like shit. but there is no way i would have assume they put drugs in it. not even at that point. and i shouldn't need to assume that. of course i will be more carefull now, but it's totally out of order. there is no excuse. i am not sure if i want to see anyone rot in jail but it makes me very angry and these people need to be told and get their asses kicked basically.

mo

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:03 pm

While I think what happened to you sucks, I wanted to find a place that had extra special drinks.

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:29 pm

You and me both, Tartster!
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:38 pm

sparkletarte wrote:While I think what happened to you sucks, I wanted to find a place that had extra special drinks.
geekster wrote:You and me both, Tartster!
make that three...

and the best advice i was ever given about drugs...

"if they are freaking you out, just remember, they will wear off"

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:43 pm

Not to make light because anyone that doses someone without telling them (though one might argue that by not telling what was in the drink when asked he pretty much told) but ...

Did anyone looking at the title of the thread think at first it was about VD?

M Joe Boss

Post by M Joe Boss » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:14 pm

I can say this , i am no angel, but have never done illegal drugs in my life( long story behind that, that involves 2 unrelated deaths). That means a hell of alot to me.

I was once at a party where some guy thought he was being funny and slipping little peices of paper in peoples beers when they weren't looking. I found out it was acid and to make a long story short , he had to take an emergency trip to the hospital for an extended stay.

So, from this ,anybody who is dosing, remember you don't who exactly you are messing with, and to what point they will take the retribution.

I will take it further than most , and some will take it further than that.

I personally beleive it is a form of psychological rape, and that could get somebody in some deep shit they won't get out of. You would be lucky to get arrested.
Just my 2 cents. But I also know some pretty good ways to avoid that sort of stuff.

Hotspur

Post by Hotspur » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:39 pm

I used to think dosing was pretty much an Urban Legend. Unforuntately, I now know that isn't the case. This is in part because we were accused of dosing someone this year (we didn't do it, but it was upsetting all the same) and partly because I had a talk with a ranger about past dosing incidents. One of the good things to know is that people do get caught for this, and, thanks to Nevada's strict drug laws, when they do they go away for a long time.

Whenever I mix a drink for someone at Burning Man, if they ask me what's in it, I not only tell them it's exact ingredients, I then ask, "Would you like me to take a sip of it first?"

Dosers are commiting a crime not only against the people they drug, but against all of Black Rock City. People shouldn't have to be paranoid about drinks. Sadly, a degree of caution is called for.

geekster

Post by geekster » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:52 pm

When I tended bar:

All drinks we offered were premixed and dispensed from a closed aparatus when requested. No drinks were pre-poured and left exposed.

I tried to keep an eye on people's drinks as best as I could.

Anyone falling asleep or otherwise unconscious (only happened once to a non-camp member) was "guarded" by our camp members until able to make their way themself. I don't know what we would have done if someone insisted on carrying an unconscious person off and got belligerent since that situation didn't occur, we probably would have tried to track down a Ranger and ask for guidance (this person is unconscious, this other person wants to carry her off, we don't know either of them and can not verify that the unconscious one would consent to being carried off by this person, what would Jesus do?) if we couldn't talk the person into just chilling with us until the person woke up.

Return to “Stories”