Plug n plays running amuk

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Re: Plug n plays running amuk

Post by pink » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:15 am

littleflower wrote:
Roberto Dobbisano wrote:thats all fine and good until they pay people to get shit on.

and thats what we are discussing....the abuses of the plug and plays and it's effect on burning man and it's culture.

if you think this is much ado about nothing than i feel sorry for your soul, or whats left of it.
you are generalizing. do you have any proof that *all* of these camps abuse their workers? or just that one anonymous post? if so, I'd like to see, and lets hear some possible solutions. if the BMorg is involved in selling these things that sucks, but again, what are you going to do about it?

and i STILL have no problem with rich people bringing workers with them, other than their taking tickets away from real burners. if i could afford it i would pay some people to help me out, but i would be a very nice employer. you assume the worst of people....
It's not an anonymous post; it's from her Facebook page where she puts her real name on it. It was reposted here.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

curiousjosh

Post by curiousjosh » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:54 am

pink wrote:
littleflower wrote: ... do you have any proof that *all* of these camps abuse their workers? or just that one anonymous post? if so, I'd like to see, and lets hear some possible solutions. if the BMorg is involved in selling these things that sucks, but again, what are you going to do about it?

and i STILL have no problem with rich people bringing workers with them, other than their taking tickets away from real burners. if i could afford it i would pay some people to help me out, but i would be a very nice employer. you assume the worst of people....
It's not an anonymous post; it's from her Facebook page where she puts her real name on it. It was reposted here.
it was posted by Beth Lillie... I was camped next to her at burning man and she's a friend.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:33 am

tattoogoddess wrote: Plus there is just to much free flowing sex out there.
Wait. Brakes. Reverse gear. Backing-up....

Ok. Now I suddenly care. People are getting laid at Burning Man? OMG!

If this statement is true, then this puts a whole new spin on the term "Plug And Play"! (Maybe if they have an all you can eat buffett we should call it a "Boink And Oink". Wait! Dont hang up!!!)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:57 am

curiousjosh wrote:
pink wrote:
littleflower wrote: ... do you have any proof that *all* of these camps abuse their workers? or just that one anonymous post? if so, I'd like to see, and lets hear some possible solutions. if the BMorg is involved in selling these things that sucks, but again, what are you going to do about it?

it was posted by Beth Lillie... I was camped next to her at burning man and she's a friend.

thanks Josh, i talked with someone last night who is also her friend, and was quite upset about this whole situation.

i think the truth shall come out.....

sooner, than later, in fact.
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 am

sometimes it hurts.

deal with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:52 am

GreyCoyote wrote:

If this statement is true, then this puts a whole new spin on the term "Plug And Play"! (Maybe if they have an all you can eat buffett we should call it a "Boink And Oink". Wait! Dont hang up!!!)
I'm starting a vacation savings account today. $17,000 or bust.

Don't believe everything you think.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:31 am

Welcome to Bust. Elevation 4 feet. Population two! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:37 am

Boink and Oink. Hahahaha!
GreyCoyote wrote:

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:49 am

[media]
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:53 am

"Clean up after yourself."
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:55 am

Salem mall has lots of red haired bullvine..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 am

Here's the thing, for me, and I hope that all good-hearted Burners will agree on this:

We don't know, for sure, that any vulnerable persons were brought to BRC under false pretenses or coerced into activities without free consent. But now that these allegations have been aired, we have a communal responsibility to be more aware of our neighbors and to reach out to those who may be vulnerable to exploitation.

Which is not to say that anyone should support freeloading hippies or disgruntled sparkleponies, if they don't want to; I have thrown such folks out of my camp, personally.

But camps that have owners and employees generate hierarchical relationships, in which there is no possibility of free consent up the power gradient. And in an isolated, austere and dangerous environment, the owners of resources have tremendous power.

The freedom of Black Rock City is endangered if even one person is trafficked there. Please be alert to this possibility, and help as you can.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:15 am

what we have here is Entitled Douchebags Running Amok....in BRC and in Defaultia and Online.

fight back citizens, fight back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

littleflower

Post by littleflower » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:16 am

do you have any proof that *all* of these camps abuse their workers? or just that one anonymous post?
sigh ....... I am upset about this. I posted this on facebook, too. as soon as I found it. it appears that the BMOrg has enough info to discipline mr. popsicle, and I hope it happens. this story is everywhere....

my problem is the ease with which some people use this very specific circumstance to demonize all Plug 'n Plays ..... and even capitalism in general.

Black Rock City is a capitalist success, whether you want to believe it or not. someone turned an inhospitable piece of fucking desert and made it an international vacation spot for 60,000 people........

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:19 am

turned an inhospitable piece of fucking desert and made it an international vacation spot

call me a marxist, but i prefer it as an inhospitable piece of desert.....always have.....always will.
Frida Be You & Me

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:50 am

Since plug & play is here to stay, the BMORG must take some steps to mitigate the negative impacts of these camps:

1. Limit the plug & play attendees to 1% of the burning man population. If the population of Burning Man is 68,000, then only 680 plug & players allowed. This number does not include the servants/sherpas.
2. Locate the plug & play camps out by the trash fence near the airport and surround them with an 8' high wrought iron fence. (spikes on top of the fence optional). This will be of comfort to the plug & play attendees to reside in a gated community within the Black Rock City. Being close to the airport, they can minimize their interactions with the 99%.
3. Require the plug & play camps to hire their sherpas/servants as employees and follow Nevada state labor laws for 40 hrs/ week + overtime. P & P camp organizers would be required to show proper documentation to the BMORG confirming that all sherpas/servants are employees and not independent contractors.
4. Impose a surcharge on the plug & play camps for extra mooping.

I'm sure there are other steps that could be taken to mitigate the negative impact of these camps.
Best Regards,
Leo

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:17 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
turned an inhospitable piece of fucking desert and made it an international vacation spot

call me a marxist, but i prefer it as an inhospitable piece of desert.....always have.....always will.
Man I agree. Much of the charm of Burning Man for me is the local. I dig tent campers and monkey huts. I'm drawn to that lifestyle even though I could easily afford to go higher class. But that's not it for everyone. I think though if it ever got to the point, like in many recreational campgrounds, where the tent was the oddity I'd be over BM/

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:12 pm

once upon a time, in a desert, far far away....
Frida Be You & Me

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:42 pm

sigh/

Sandstorm
Camp Name: TBD

Post by Sandstorm » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:39 pm

kiboy wrote:And just think 10 years ago I just got my ticket, prepared my camp and went. Thank you eplaya. :cry:
That's one of the best and most direct takes I've read about the current dynamics of Burning Man as they relate to simply get into BRC. Well said.
Elderberry wrote:Very simple solution for you....DON'T LOOK!

Would you dare say the same thing about a fat girl naked on the playa? And god forbid she was also texting.
I've seen this episode before; it's the one in which a very opinionated burner tells another burner that their opinions are less valid than those held by the opinionated burner. Remember, kids: if you see something happen in BRC that you don't like don't talk post on eplaya about that incident or your feelings about that incident because someone who's WAY MORE burnier than you will step up to remind you that you are a stupid ass for caring about BM or anything in the manner that you do. :)

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:25 pm

Omniscient One Here...

prediction.

one of the larger media outlets will pick up this ball and run with it.
Frida Be You & Me

Sandstorm
Camp Name: TBD

Post by Sandstorm » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:35 pm

But it's not like you would have an inside scoop on something like that happening, right? :wink:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:31 pm

And it will be distorted beyond recognition...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:31 pm

... but at least we have Media Mecca to keep it from getting even worse.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:39 am

Sandstorm wrote:But it's not like you would have an inside scoop on something like that happening, right? :wink:

merely postulation, based on informed analysis...
Frida Be You & Me

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Just FYI The 'sherpa' from that Facebook post is doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit if you've got any questions for her.

I figured some of you may be interested..

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 pm

littleflower wrote:my problem is the ease with which some people use this very specific circumstance to demonize all Plug 'n Plays ..... and even capitalism in general.

Black Rock City is a capitalist success, whether you want to believe it or not. someone turned an inhospitable piece of fucking desert and made it an international vacation spot for 60,000 people........
My problem is the ease and enthusiasm some people have in excusing the exploitation of humans because they are simply afraid their god capitalism is being insulted. Don't worry, your god will survive.
Oh, I love that piece of desert even without all the fabulous people.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Yes indeedy, Playa rules with or without the Man. The BRD inspired me to visit my Alvord desert in Oregon. I'd always hung on the wet side of the Steens Mountains but I'm very drawn to that flatness now. Especially surrounded by desert peaks. I think Capitalism is in no danger. It just about covers the planet. I'm sure we can take our minds off it for a week without doing it great harm.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:19 pm

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:05 am

I really like John, "Halcyon", but fuck him. This looks more like take the blue pill and you will feel better bullshit.
I would have respected an OPEN LETTER to the BOARD addressing the issue's.

Return to “Stories”