Plug n plays running amuk

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Jackass

Plug n plays running amuk

Postby Jackass » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 pm

For 2014 Plug N Plays are really becoming more of a wide spread menace. I just got back and what I witnessed with these dipshit, rich Hollywood Techie types was sickening. In my sector of the city where normal folks who build their own camps and dreams used to camp, is now taken over by camps full of douche bags who come to the event in their sports cars with nothing more than an carry on bag. Burning Man needs to run these fuckers out of town. I thought Burning Man wasn't for sale?

More feather head dresses, segways, fleets of alike fat tire bikes, catering tents and trucks, and fully staffed top dollar MVs than you could shake a stick at. Several camps had flags more like that of a Wyndam Resorts property than anything else, very official and corporate looking.

On the outer road from 9 on and the 9 o'clock plaza, it was ALL Hollywood.

If they're going to have these types of camps around then they should send them to the 3 oclock side, make those tools deal with the dust drifts on the soft side. I don't at all care to see this shit on my side of town.

Death to plug and play spectators, non-interactive, non-inclusive, non-self reliant, and non-creative camps!

Why build your own burn when you could just throw a shitload of money at it and have the servants take care of it for you?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

delle

Re: Plug n plays running amuk

Postby delle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:45 pm

They didn't let you play with their toys, did they? :roll:

The NIMBY stance doesn't work for me tho. I quite like the 3:00 side.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:53 pm

They're all yours, you can have them!

I don't really care to play with their toys, me and mine have our own. You know, the kind we built, troubleshoot, tweaked, and transported to the event ourselves. Sure, they have pretty, fancy toys but no one besides the servants knows shit about where they came from or how they work... just a bunch of fancy boys with perfect hair and manicures... If everyone followed this noncreative path, how lame and perfect Burning Man would be. No soul, or flavor.
Last edited by Jackass on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delle

Postby delle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:00 pm

I said I like the 3:00 side, but I live at 5:00.

I'll miss 3:00

Shel Silverstein

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Giving this a nudge over to the 2014 Stories board, since I think that's a better fit. I'm sorry to hear that was your experience - while I don't doubt there are plenty of operations out there that are going pretty full service, it's far from a majority. I've been connecting mostly with other kinds of camps (and there are ridiculous numbers of them), and meeting some interesting people. There has been an explosion of fat tire bikes this year, but that's less to do with everyone being in plug and play camps that provide them as amenities and more to do with them just having really gotten popular in the burner community. One of our neighbors, very decidedly NOT a turnkey operation, had 4 or 5 of their 8 members rolling around on them this year. I don't think they were a group buy, but several different burners who'd been to several different numbers of burns who all just thought that those particular mountain bikes (designed for deep snow, I think) would be ideal for deep playa dunes and worth whatever the investment was. Probably not a bad call, deep playa is really a mess this year.

I know the outer road back there wasn't all Hollywood, some good friends/former campmates of mine are camped there and their place is very decidedly not posh. They've got an old shade structure I designed for them in 2005, and the tarps have definitely seen better days. I was surprised at the number of larger scale operations further back, but know from talking to friends on the team that it was something that was intentionally done (in most cases, anyway) by placement. Another group of friends building (yeah, Friday and they hadn't finished yet) a big structure at 9 & K had previously been in the 8 & A area and have a pretty elaborate setup (they built last year's temple, and have been doing the event for years and years)... placement put them way back there this year, my guess would be to change up the neighborhood a bit back by Distrikt & Duck Pond.

I don't know that a fancy flag means you're a turnkey camper - hell, I'd like a cool flag for my camp. I haven't ever looked into how to go about getting something fancy made up, so we just use something rudimentary my gf made on the sewing machine a couple years back.

My advice (for future years, since you're already back) is that when you see a camp you don't care for, keep on moving. There are as many different ways to burn as there are burners, and for everyone that's really going over the top on amenities there are a dozen with minimalist setups.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:23 pm

I have always respected your posts on ePlaya! The surest way to promote the best of BM values and discourage the worst is to post videos and stills of each in a context in which the difference is clear. It is well within the capability of burners, new and old to adapt. Where will the pics be posted?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

BetaBox

Postby BetaBox » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:24 pm

But, I have found myself looking past more and more camps. However, plug and play camps are not dominating the streets.
See you in 2014

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:31 pm

This board is where we'll be seeing ppl post their pics and videos, I don't even begin to go through mine until after I return. I'm only at a computer very intermittently during the event to take care of fires and do a few quick moves, but splurged a bit and spent a bit of time replying to jackass because he's a good guy and raises an interesting discussion, and have found that (so far, anyways) it's been a different experience for me.

That said, I'm off. I got the essential stuff done and have to get back to camp before heading off into the dust and exploring more of the deep playa. Things are a lot more spread out this year, and the deep playa is best described as a dune sea... tough going on foot or on bike/trike.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 am

When I made reference to the fat tire bikes I wasn't talking about a group of friends that all have the same bike, I was mentioning this after riding by "plug n play" camps that had 50+ brand new alike undecorated bikes in their corral for their clients. In my view they take whatever's the hottest trend right now and bastardize it, rendering cool stuff down to lame and not nearly as cool as previous perceptions. I don't hang out at these camps or feel left out by them, I just don't see anyone making much effort without it all leading back to the almighty dollar. Didn't all this weird stuff start popping up in the desert only after someone got off their ass and loaded their drum kit or piano or Christmas camp onto their rig and hauled it out?

Who are these Burners turned Burning Man Sell-outs that decided to make a profitable business out of something that wasn't supposed to be for sale or for profit?

Were they ever true burners or just bean counters with a business plan aimed at the event?

Why don't these guys fall under the thumb of the BM legal team with cease and desist orders?

The message they are sending is that it's ok to make tons of money catering to pretentious douches, just as long as the BLM and the BMORG get their cut out of it.

I love this event and haven't as many years on my belt as many do, but I've seen shit changing. ALOT

The shame has been lifted from this practice, by the powers that be. They are becoming more blatant about their practices, they no longer have to fly under the radar. No one needs to moop or know about procedures, registrations, or guidelines when their sherpas do it all for them.

If all camps were as sanitary and organized as these plug n plays, what would the landscape look like? Disney Hotels INC.?

How long would it be before the regular self funded tinkerer decides he's no longer going to build cool stuff and bring it out on his own dime, he now wants to get paid. Why not, those guys over there all are.

All of those camp servants are detracting from available tickets that could find their ways into the hands of actual creative people that do it for the love of the weirdness, without any compensation or much fan fair.

delle

Postby delle » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 pm

I think I just saw things in a different light.

Up until just now I saw most complaintive arguments as non-inclusive, judgemental whines. Then I saw this article and realized those were exactly the two sentiments that now glaringly stood out as wrong with Turnkey operations in my mind. Not the money. Not the excess. Not even the lack of self-sufficiency (because frankly, as long as it's getting done, it's not up to me to judge how it was achieved). Nope. It's the non-inclusive nature of them. The fact that, standing in their vicinity, you were just begging to be frowned upon.

And that, right there, rapes the number one most innocent thing I love about Burning Man. That for the while we are there, we are all on equal ground, sharing freely and without judgement or fear.

Busted.

There are a lot of “non-public” areas at Burning Man. Most major camps have them. There's commissary, etc., etc., but each of these areas provide comfort to people who are providing All The Huge And Wonderful Things that we all get to enjoy. I generally smile as I walk by these zones, thankful to those inside for what they offer outside of it for the rest of us.

Can we say the same of the turnkey camps or are they just Taking freely of the culture, without contributing anything freely back to it?

That sounds like a judgement. It's an actual question I'd love to know the real answer to.

http://recode.net/2014/08/29/k-street-b ... aires-row/

"We got to the escarpment, a daunting wall of RVs. The entry was covered by gauzy drapes. As they billowed in the wind, we could see inside: A crystal chandelier, glass refrigerators full of champagne, a dining-room table to seat maybe 16, and half a dozen very beautiful women in lingerie, serving cocktails. One of them saw the group.

She stormed outside, furious.
The invaders responded defensively, saying they had just wanted to see. Some wanted to debate. She wanted everyone to keep walking. The group milled outside, debating whether to try again, or give up and go to a normal camp for a drink."

Shel Silverstein

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:28 pm

If the answer is yes, the follow up I have is, how long will the event last as a destination for the rich, after the people who do theme camps no longer attend? What is the tipping point? Or does burning man go the way of bohemian grove?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:57 pm

At least Playaschool, another well known plug n play went on esplanade and had activities and parties aimed at the wandering non-member burner. These guys out here on K, and others have intentionally isolated themselves within their own extravagant trappings. I've seen really fancy and elaborate camps that could be mistaken as plug n plays, but were just really well thought out and clean to a tee, yet built and brought by regular old burners. I know what I saw and this is a totally different animal.

Can we kill this animal?

P.S. If anyone's reading this and still out there, go out to the 9oclock plaza and look around, now make a right on L and walk until you get to 10.

Now tell me I'm full of shit.
Last edited by Jackass on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:21 pm

Not too hard to tell which ones are PnP.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Jackass wrote:When I made reference to the fat tire bikes I wasn't talking about a group of friends that all have the same bike, I was mentioning this after riding by "plug n play" camps that had 50+ brand new alike undecorated bikes in their corral

Yeah! I saw ridiculous amount of "fat tire" bikes going through Reno last week. I really didn't think they were going out there. To be honest, I never heard of Plug N Play
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Postby EB » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:59 am

It's a big desert. There's room for everybody.

OP, your rants and death threats make you sound like Francis from "Stripes." (RIP Harold Ramis.)
Irony. You're soaking in it.

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:19 am

Room for everybody? That's news to me!

Hoolie

Postby Hoolie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:48 am

The preponderance of fat tire bikes is mostly due to their recent shift from niche mountain bikes to mass-produced Wally bikes. The fat tire trend was spurred several years ago by companies like Surly, who makes great bikes, but a fully outfitted Surly fat tire bike was (and still is) around $1500 or more. The trend caught on, and now cheap clones can be found at Walmart for $200. That's why you are seeing them on the playa in great numbers this year. As to the main topic, I can't comment too much since I haven't been on the playa since 2010. But the very idea of exclusive turnkey camps is disagreeable, to say the least.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:11 pm

EB wrote:It's a big desert. There's room for everybody.

OP, your rants and death threats make you sound like Francis from "Stripes." (RIP Harold Ramis.)

There's no death threats here, rants yes, being dismayed by our new Hollywood set neighbors yes.

Don't drink the Krug!

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:14 pm

There wasn't room for all those people stuck in Reno unable to obtain tickets.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Hoolie wrote:The preponderance of fat tire bikes is mostly due to their recent shift from niche mountain bikes to mass-produced Wally bikes. The fat tire trend was spurred several years ago by companies like Surly, who makes great bikes, but a fully outfitted Surly fat tire bike was (and still is) around $1500 or more. The trend caught on, and now cheap clones can be found at Walmart for $200. That's why you are seeing them on the playa in great numbers this year.

Yeah I know they're popular and affordable and everybody wants one, what I'm saying is that it's the new bicycle of choice for the Hollywood douche camps as well. Segways are popular too, but they stick out like sore thumbs. They probably figured the new bikes would help make their clueless clients fit in a little better, so that they wouldn't be as easily mocked by the bullhorn wielding wise (wo)men among others.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:48 pm

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Mr Jackass, that's hilarious! Thanks for that find! I have something more thoughtful to contribute later, but consider this theory...

BM has always had a culture jamming agro side, from Cacaphony, shooting range, Survival Research Laboratory, the Thunderdome, to megaphones. You could argue the mousetrap and BRC Animal Control are in that branch of things.

So we have an agro-move of organizing a tour, agro-move of Mr Cargo Shorts freaking about photos, and your agro-move response. What specifically could have been done differently by each of the three protagonists at the time?

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:49 pm

9:15 and j, mountain side...

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EVEN GET INTO THAT ONE!??

That is the true fortress type bullshit.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Postby bm_cricket » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:32 am

Uhg, I wrote this big, negative thing but in the end I deleted it. My advice is to let the 9 O-Clock area become a haven of drug addled tourists and stick with the suburbs. There are still artists at Burning Man... Probably just as many artists as in past years. I just think that the ratio has dropped because now there are 50,000 tourists coming to the city to pay for the art.
It was better next year. -Burners

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:48 am

I remember years ago on the way to BM, you always knew who the other burners were on the road or at gas stops because they invariably had U-Hauls full of mannequins, speakers, fur, poles, and freaky shit, or trailers carrying an art car or a whole camp stacked up and roped down, and they had bikes on top of their cars and/or whatever they were hauling, or they were in an old bus with water jugs and bikes all over it. At gas stops they always talked to you all excited if they saw you were also clearly hauling BM gear. Really, it was already Burning Man as soon as I hit the road.
I didn't see that last year, which I assumed was because I was on early entry. I hope it wasn't because that isn't there anymore.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

delle

Postby delle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 am

I figure less than 1% are p&p. That wouldn't change the decor all that much at this point.

Heard somewhere that 40% were virgins this year. THAT might!!!

Tho those 40% probably have sugarplums and gumdrops in their imaginations now, and are likely to be overloaded next year with all kinds of interesting stuff.

Shel Silverstein

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Postby bm_cricket » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 am

delle wrote:I figure less than 1% are p&p. That wouldn't change the decor all that much at this point.

Heard somewhere that 40% were virgins this year. THAT might!!!

Tho those 40% probably have sugarplums and gumdrops in their imaginations now, and are likely to be overloaded next year with all kinds of interesting stuff.

I was greeting whole hatchbacks full of virgins.... Except the lead greeter told me I had to call them noobies because virgin isn't appropriate. Fuck him.
It was better next year. -Burners

delle

Postby delle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

:shock: The Lead Greeter? :shock:

If the name Virgin is inappropriate, what's next????

Shel Silverstein

Zhust
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Zhust » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:44 am

Rich people coming to Burning Man with plug-and-play camps all set up by a servant class are there because of one thing: they are unable to create anything themselves. They must rely on people who know how to "build, troubleshoot, and tweak" something made with their own hands. So far that's the way I've learned to shrug and move on.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Return to “Stories”