DJ Art Cars And Their Effect On Art

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
1durphul

DJ Art Cars And Their Effect On Art

Post by 1durphul » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:32 pm

This isn't an appeal to the BORG, more of a venting about DJ art cars and how few shits they seem to give about harming the environment an artist or camp is trying to create around their art piece.

The most frustrating example of this (for me personally) was the Dancetronauts when they pulled up alongside the audience watching the Alien Siege Machine's show & burn. The people behind the siege machine had thoughtfully created a massive show involving artillery, squads of fighters, fireworks, and explosives. Mid-way through the show the fucking Dancetronauts showed up BLASTING their music, making it VERY unpleasant to watch the unfolding show taking place in front of those of us around the 6 - 7:30 side of the burn perimeter. At one point the DJ starts blah blah blahing about how they are going out to the Temple to spin in a bit (REALLY? THE TEMPLE?), and then some blissed-out hippy woman got on the mic and started blah blah blahing about how much she "loves burning man" and wants to "share the love" with everybody. It was so loud I'm surprised the nearby ground crew and perimeter volunteers for the Alien Siege Machine could even hear their own radios, which considering explosives were involved is probably a bad thing.

I know the BORG doesn't read these threads, and I will be making a complaint via the official feedback channels. I just thought I'd post this frustrating experience from this year's burn to see how others feel about the shit show that is the music blaring DJ art car.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: DJ Art Cars And Their Effect On Art

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 pm

You should contact the BRCDMV as well. This is a mutant vehicle issue and complaints such as these are taken into consideration.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:32 pm

i would have to agree on this one.

i found the dancetronauts to be particularly fucking annoying this year.

seriously.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:39 pm

before they delete it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:43 pm

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... olicy.html. As Goddamit said, the DMV is anxiously awaiting your emails.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:48 pm

some seeing eye wrote:http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... olicy.html. As Goddamit said, the DMV is anxiously awaiting your emails.

you bet your ass i'm gonna send them an e-mail...DANCETRONAUTS by far and away, won the "douche" award...
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:00 pm

Homeboy on the Dancetronauts car was shilling his album during the Man burn ... he was literally talking about his new album and that it would be available on the iTunes store.

During the Man burn.

I mean anywhere on Playa that would be pretty unaware and douchey.

But at the Man burn?

winterdream28
Burning Since: 2013

Post by winterdream28 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Dude I heard them plugging themselves away during the man burn to. It REALLLLY got to me for some reason. Usually I can drown that crap out but I was sitting there 1hr 20 mins into the standing man thinking the man can't fall cause this ass keeps pluging away!
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:04 pm

please.

take the time to send an email to the above address and let the DMV know...

i can't tell you how stabby this shit made me feel....and i love the beat the beat the beat...

this was pure, unadulterated "douche"...
Frida Be You & Me

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:12 pm

agree.
I came across their burn night scene, their audio dropped twice and then the dude starts blabbering, "is everybody having a good time out here?!?!?,...blah blah blah,..." as I rode away shaking my head. dude should never be allowed to hold a mic
blow.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:22 pm

DMV@BURNINGMAN.COM

here it is........let them know.
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:53 pm

his name is philthy phil...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

David M
Burning Since: 2009

Post by David M » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Our fire conclave was located practically in front of the Dancetronauts. Our carefully choreographed drumming and dancing that we have spent months practicing was nearly drowned out by their incessant noise and self promotion. I encourage everyone to write complaints to the DMV. I do not want to see them on the playa next year.

The entirety of the Burning Man staff was located directly in front of us in the circle. No doubt, they heard it too.

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:before they delete it...
That was awesome haha!

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:45 pm

some seeing eye wrote:http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... olicy.html. As Goddamit said, the DMV is anxiously awaiting your emails.
I have looked a couple times now for email addresses. Do you know of one? I sent feedback via the feedback form.

edit: I see Simon posted it.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Frida Be You & Me

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:...
So... only women can be gogo dancers on the Dancetronauts art-less car? :roll:

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:19 pm

1durphul wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:...
So... only women can be gogo dancers on the Dancetronauts art-less car? :roll:
*dejectedly takes off his thong and goes home.*

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Frida Be You & Me

DMVSparky
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DMV

Post by DMVSparky » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Sparky here, Operations Manager for the Black Rock City DMV.
I just wanted to note that the DMV Council is following this thread.
Much thanks to all of you for sharing your feedback about Mutant Vehicles with large sound systems and their effect on your experiences at Burning Man.
We're always happy to receive additional comments via email. Our address is: dmv@burningman.com
Cheers!
-S-

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:59 pm

I was also near the Dancetronauts car (train?) during the Man burn, and yeah. I had given it a wide berth during most of the week, but was finally made to receive their gift. After the fire ceremony started, and they didn't turn down their music, I finally realized they weren't going to at all. I could not hear any of the drumming or music from the fire dancers. Just really, really soulless, unmemorable, crappy-back-streets-of-Vegas, generic club music. Seriously could not tell you one single word or hum three notes from any of it. Sound camps have to play something interesting to get people to come to them, I think Dancetronauts operates by driving to an existing crowd of people until it disperses.

And yeah. Music fades a little, I think that common sense has prevailed. Nope. "How you all doing out there Burning MAAAAAAAN!" (I feel like he almost said Cincinnati or something) "I can't hear you! I'm ahjudsfjkasdfhjk in the HOUSSSSSE" etc finally ending up with his CD dropping in two weeks. All of this aimed at the BACKS of people intently watching amazingly skilled people dance beautifully with fire. And I have zero doubt the fire dancers heard all of this...some douchebag interrupting their performance and promoting himself as if they weren't even there. They worked hard for this all year and were being written off by some button-pushing uncreative.

Technically, I could have moved away. But then I'd have obstructed your view, stepped on your leg, accidentally kneed you in the face, tripped over your backpack.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:17 pm

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 pm

rodman! lol
blow.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Sheboygan's in Wisconsin. Or was that part of the humor?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

PlayaCoyo
Burning Since: 2009

Post by PlayaCoyo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:59 pm

My friend BoPeep had an AWEFUL experience with Dancetronauts one night on the Playa.

1) Some guy asked her to dance on it. The music was way too loud. He was like a "VIP" or whatever. They wouldn't let anyone else on.

2) He ended up being a douche and ditching her for some other girl that knew him.

3) Some of the girls there screamed at her that she wasn't on the list and wasn't allowed to be on their car.

4) The driver angrily accused her of "sneaking on" and told her to "get the fuck off." They ditched her in some random place on the deep playa and barely stopped so she could unload safely. She came back to our camp in tears over it.

Yes please, DMV. Screw these people.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 pm

PlayaCoyo wrote:... and barely stopped so she could unload safely. She came back to our camp in tears over it.
Oh that's disturbing...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:34 pm

This was my first burn.

We had a great position for man, everyone sat down so we could see. There was a ring of standing folks behind this big area of people. The man burning was truly amazing.

The sound systems were part of the sensory overload and I could feel myself hearing one song, then another mix into and over the sound next to it. It crazy and awesome. These rising strident beats.

But then in the midst of this I heard someone talking. Sort of like a dj talks. And mind you I was deep into the man at this point. But it was like breaking into the spell I was under. Like a tug back away from the space that is been working toward all week out there.

So ya. That was not cool. Not at all.

I did like seeing the colors on this vehicle at other times, and had a fairly neutral opinion of it until now, because I did not know what sound car had the guy talking on it during the man burn. But now this is clear and reading the account of OP, others and my experience, I'm glad dmv is reading this thread.

On a side note, I apparently missed Alien Siege Machine's show & burn.

Milayna
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Milayna » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 pm

yay for this thread!! I can't stand that car, and it's one of the single biggest reasons I don't attend the LA regional events, because it is ALWAYS there. It's like a cheesy, lame club on wheels, and I don't think it adds anything to Burning Man whatsoever. I avoid this car actively, so I didn't experience any of this at the burn this year, but I think it's time to kick them off the playa, and maybe we can even keep them out of Bequinox this year? That'd be great.

qwzy
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Maybe Campital

Post by qwzy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:43 pm

We were about 6:15 during the Man burn. I could see the top of El Pulpo's head poking out from behind Dancetronauts and it was kind of a drag that he'd been locked out of the event by such ratchet racket. Definitely the worst music we heard all week, though sometimes hilariously so, and I thought Sr. Mecanico showed remarkable and uncharacteristic restraint in allowing them to remain unimmolated. Our friends said they were pretty good last year but even they were grimacing.

</virgin>

Jorge de la Playa

Post by Jorge de la Playa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:54 pm

El Pulpo Mecanico came rolling through our neighborhood on Monday afternoon, with long-time art-cartist Duane Flatmo himself at the wheel, playing Simon & Garfinkle's "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" at a nice moderate Playa-appropriate volume. Night and day from the Dancetronauts' abusive "set" at the Man Burn.
Peace,
Jorge

Return to “Stories”