DJ Art Cars And Their Effect On Art

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: DJ Art Cars And Their Effect On Art

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:22 am

Let it not be said that this is about loud systems on art cars...I'm 100% for it, I've stood 5 feet from Robot Heart's wall of subwoofers and loved it. And our neighbor camp's giant scissor lift pirate ship would park in the sky and play at top volume late at night (mostly funk)...it was an "oh, Burning Man :)" moment when a polka version of Wrecking Ball woke me at 4am.

Fucking with people can be done in a way that doesn't turn you into a dickbag. Not enough people understand this. Buying the same equipment as someone successful and accepted (art car, megaphone, air horn) doesn't mean you'll be able to avoid being a douchebag. I find that the douchebaggery appears when they think "why isn't this working, how come I'm not funny yet" and they just keep doing it.

Radrangerreb
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Radrangerreb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:14 am

Dear victims,

I too was there at Burn night and just about every night I could find the Dancetronauts. I have been burning since 2005, which I do believe was before the Dancetronauts inception. Although I am not a particular fan, I am not an enemy like some of you. Seems like these guys have become easy targets for haters, which is strange because as whole and over the years their track record is pretty darn clean.

1.) The album drop '2 weeks' was undeniably tacky, however, mentioned only once.
2.) I witnessed and enjoyed them having both male and female 'go-go' dancers.
3.) The art is the stage and everything you see they custom built by their own hands. And shame on them for marketing themselves with their material on their website? I actually want to encourage burners success. And if you actually read it, like I just recently did, you would learn that these guys don't buy it like other camps, they made it all, which is why it doesn't sound the same. They also aren't funded or backed like these other larger camps and art cars.
4.) Some of us to consider music art and if you don't like what they play, then find one of the other 1,000 art cars or theme camps around the man playing music. Personally, I am more of a Robot Heart fan.
5.) I agree the guy shouldn't be on the mic, my pet peeve is DJ's talking period. But we are really going to get that bent out of shape for someone plugging something over the microphone... pretty sure every camp announces their Dj, and yells 'whats up Burning Man' at some point... just not that their album will be releasing. So he said something he shouldn't have AT BURNING MAN and took away 10 seconds of your peace, lol. You obviously were enjoying their music. And luckily i've learned that any DJ you can't tolerate usually only lasts 60mins at a time.
6.) They purposely parked their vehicle in collaboration with art cars for the Burn Night celebration, where ANY of you could have gone elsewhere, stop acting like you're trapped at Burning Man of all places. I was on the other side of the Alien Siege Burn, didn't even hear or notice them... but their sound was disrupting the fireworks??
7.) The furthest their car went this year was Embrace, so the deep playa drop off and tears of being dropped off and stranded, highly unlikely and out of character. There is a team of guys and gals who are sober, you're saying the entire crew heartlessly abandoned some lone crying girl out by the trash fence?
8.) Speaking of character, how about being burners and finding the love, instead of the hate and trash talking camps, artists, art cars for their work... JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE IT... OR THEY SCREWED UP AND SAID ONE THING YOU DIDN'T LIKE. Certainly doesn't mean you need to go on hating and bashing it... and I am not Dancetronauts defender, I am talking about all the trash talk out there about great peoples efforts. And I can assure you the 10 people ranting in this thread haven't even met or know any of the members personally. This year I have never heard so many people complain, bitch and be critics.
9.) Dancetronauts did not attend L.A. Decompression last year and in 2012 when they did, they were 1 of 5 different camp stages at the event.
10.) Their is/was no list, I witnessed 100's of people embark and disembark on their art car during Burn Night and their Embrace party, I actually camped out on board for an hour or two myself. Only witnessed people having a great time and if you see any photos or videos.... there's a handful of complainers and about couple thousand dancing smiles.
11.) I can't imagine being so sensitive that this could ruin something, as amazing as, your entire week at Burning man.
12.) WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES and they don't make us or our affiliated group(s) horrible people all of a sudden. Lol, KICK THEM OFF THE PLAYA! What is wrong with you people? If this is the worst you can find to bicker about, I'd say overall this was an pretty epic burn!

Jeers: To Snoop Doggs art car pulling up to Temple burn blasting gangster rap!
Jeers; To the artcar that ran over and killed that woman.
Jeers: To the DJ on the mic who made the offensive self promo plug on Dancetronauts

NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL PEOPLE! STOP COMPLAINING AND BEING BURNING MAN VICTIMS! Respect each other, even if you don't like, agree or are indifferent about something. Each camp, artist, theme-camp, build team, art car all bring something different and unique. A lot of time, bodies, effort, love, passion and labor go into each and everyone of them... who are you to start bashing the ones YOU don't like?

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:27 am

There are specific mutant vehicle operating rules that these guys apparently don't follow.
How do you address that point?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

David M
Burning Since: 2009

Post by David M » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:47 am

Unfortunately Radrangerreb those of us in Conclave did not have the option of moving somewhere else. Every group is given an assigned spot and that is where you perform. Also, the rules of conclave do not allow us to use amplified music so are are dependent on our drummers to provide a beat for us. Drummers that we could barely hear this year, thanks to your art car.
Conclave is a big commitment and the highlight of our week for many of us. We spend months getting our performance ready, auditioning, making costumes, etc. Don’t you think your shitty art car can turn it down for 20 minutes while we perform for you?
Also, the Dancetronaunts weren’t at LA Decom this past year is they are no longer allowed to come.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:35 am

dear Radrangerreb

nice try.

but, go fuck yourself.
Frida Be You & Me

TEXLANYC
Burning Since: 2014

Post by TEXLANYC » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:54 am

Just keep them and all DJ art cars away from the temple, a reasonable distance from the fire conclave and do what you can to prohibit sales promotion on the playa. Otherwise avoid the jerks and bless them on their way.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:24 am

For the record, I really enjoy the large sound art cars on the Playa. Not necessarily my party, but I love the vibe.

The Dancetronauts were abusively annoying on more than one occasion, not just Burn Night. They constantly had an MC on the microphone announcing DJs, promoting tracks, and being generally annoying. I ran away from their bus on more than once occasion as it tended to be an earsore to be around.

Give me a crew like Robot Heart any day over the self-promoting asshats at Dancetronauts. Robot Heart is mostly anonymous, has stopped releasing timeslots (and recently lineups), and works hard to fit in with BM ethos, including parking far from the Man Burn, silence during the Temple burn, and aiming their system away from the city at all times. The Dancetronauts embody everything I despise about Large Scale sound at Burning Man. They make a distinct effort at trying to be succesful through promotion and events but ultimately end up being obnoxious and loud.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:35 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:dear Radrangerreb

nice try.

but, go fuck yourself.

:lol: I love you
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

rufus210
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: The Future

Post by rufus210 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:59 am

My fairly bad art car experience was during the temple burn. For some reason the giant VW bus was all the way at the inner perimeter, taking up the space where 50-100 people should have been seated. Not only that, but there was some lady on top hacking out an a cappella version of Free Bird fairly loud. As the burn was starting the crowd had to boo and yell at them to shut up and turn off all their neon lighting.

unquietcode
Burning Since: 2013

Post by unquietcode » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:09 am

We had a nice seat at the perimeter near 6 for the man burn, but there were at least two quite loud art cars behind us blasting for the duration. I had ear plugs (thankfully) which worked for a while, but because of the unusually long burn time this year for the man I eventually couldn't take it any more and had to retreat to get away from the sound. My body simply couldn't take it any longer. I definitely could not hear the fire drummers, which was sad as I really enjoy that aspect of the burn.

To be clear, I'm totally fine with music during the burn, but being trapped in a closed circle of extremely loud music, and many different ones competing with each other, was too much for me. As sound systems improve the volume level becomes a concern, such as here, or when a car is driving past your camp at 4am. The fact is these noise levels are damaging to the human ear, and when you can't escape them it becomes a problem.

snardy

Post by snardy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:22 am

We were seated right in front of the Mayan Warrior for the Burn, where the Pachanga Boys were playing an awesome tribal drum track for the duration of the lead-up and actual Burn. It set a great mood, very spacey and ominous. However about 10 minutes before the Burn began, the art car next to Mayan Warrior started playing these terrible house music tracks, thus totally killing the vibe. It was awful.

I'd love it if the BMorg could commission an artist to design a soundtrack for the Burn and all the art cars could play the same music. It would be wonderful to have that shared environment without competing soundtracks mashing together into a cacophony of awfulness.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:36 am

Radrangerreb wrote: They purposely parked their vehicle in collaboration with art cars for the Burn Night celebration, where ANY of you could have gone elsewhere, stop acting like you're trapped at Burning Man of all places.

Jeers; To the artcar that ran over and killed that woman.
I'd like to directly address those two points. I have a mutant vehicle, and have been rolled up on and sonically blasted at near painful levels during the burn. Well guess what, at the burn, M/Vs are usually surrounded and landlocked. You CAN'T move. Believe me I tried.

And as to the tragedy involving the pedestrian/vehicle accident, do you have specific info about how that happened?
I don't, and if you don't either then you haven't got any business assigning blame on either side.

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 am

Radrangerreb wrote:Dear victims,

Jeers: To Snoop Doggs art car pulling up to Temple burn blasting gangster rap!
well, shit ... some of us you know like we consider music to be art.

and shit.

rofl

smdh

MrSerious
Burning Since: 2014

Post by MrSerious » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:57 am

We were positioned about 2:00 for the man burn. Over all the din and cacophony of the art cars, the drums, the crowd, over all that was one art car, about 6:00, and it was Dancetronauts. These guys single-handedly decided that everyone during the burn should hear them, and that's a huge douche maneuver. Sure I could move, but why should I? Why don't they try to suck less?

watchyourfeet

Post by watchyourfeet » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:11 am

For not being a particular fan of dancetronauts, and I assume not being affiliated with them, Radrangerreb sure does have a lot of information about exactly where they went and how many times their DJs self-promoted....

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:33 am

watchyourfeet wrote:For not being a particular fan of dancetronauts, and I assume not being affiliated with them, Radrangerreb sure does have a lot of information about exactly where they went and how many times their DJs self-promoted....
Truly.

smil1473
Camp Name: Don't Panic

Post by smil1473 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 am

I made it out to playa only a couple times this year, and was struck at how deafening the cacophony was. Last year ( my first) was much more pleasent, with the din a a much more tolerable level. The night of the Man burn was simply deafening. Despite supposed dB restrictions on art cars, it was infinitely louder throughout the playa and certainly made me feel better about having not left camp through the rest of the week. I don't mind the art cars blasting music, but there is a point where you are physically maiming people who don't necessarily want to lose their hearing while at the fantastic event known as BM. Would have enjoyed a lower level of "music", but the din is a part of the burn as I know it (only twice on the playa now)
Don't Panic!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Radical Ranger Rebel?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm

David M wrote:Unfortunately Radrangerreb those of us in Conclave did not have the option of moving somewhere else. Every group is given an assigned spot and that is where you perform. Also, the rules of conclave do not allow us to use amplified music so are are dependent on our drummers to provide a beat for us. Drummers that we could barely hear this year, thanks to your art car.
Conclave is a big commitment and the highlight of our week for many of us. We spend months getting our performance ready, auditioning, making costumes, etc. Don’t you think your shitty art car can turn it down for 20 minutes while we perform for you?
Also, the Dancetronaunts weren’t at LA Decom this past year is they are no longer allowed to come.
David, I just wanted to say that your section of the Conclave was incredibly beautiful and everyone around me was watching in rapt attention. We all recognized you were doing this for us in spite of the major distraction, and while there were some angry mutters about it, we had to choose between watching your performance or turning our backs to shout at Dancetronauts. Ultimately, your performance won...we could deal with Dancetronauts later.

gibson_

Post by gibson_ » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:23 pm

I know that, personally, when I'm wading through a white out dust storm to watch a 130 foot tall wooden man explode out in the desert, I demand QUIET!

QUIET DAMN YOU!!!! QUIIIEETTTT!!!1111

Sheesh, people. If the art cars at the man burn are seriously annoying you this much, go watch it from the esplanade or something.

David M
Burning Since: 2009

Post by David M » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:41 pm

maladroit wrote:
David, I just wanted to say that your section of the Conclave was incredibly beautiful and everyone around me was watching in rapt attention. We all recognized you were doing this for us in spite of the major distraction, and while there were some angry mutters about it, we had to choose between watching your performance or turning our backs to shout at Dancetronauts. Ultimately, your performance won...we could deal with Dancetronauts later.
Wow, thank you. It means a lot.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:26 pm

gibson_ wrote:I know that, personally, when I'm wading through a white out dust storm to watch a 130 foot tall wooden man explode out in the desert, I demand QUIET!

Sheesh, people. If the art cars at the man burn are seriously annoying you this much, go watch it from the esplanade or something.
You've done an impressive job of not understanding what's been said.

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:35 pm

gibson_ wrote:I know that, personally, when I'm wading through a white out dust storm to watch a 130 foot tall wooden man explode out in the desert, I demand QUIET!

I've been to the event 10 times. I sleep better at Burning Man than I do anywhere else... WITHOUT EAR PLUGS. I love EDM. What I'm complaining about is not the fact that there is noise, but the fact that many DJ Art Cars have no respect for performances and art pieces that they are intentionally putting themselves in very close proximity to with arena/stadium quality sound systems.
Last edited by 1durphul on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:40 pm

I've had direct confrontations with this attitude, and they will get extremely righteous, quotational, and burnier about Self Expression, but will act like they don't hear you if you talk to them about communal effort and civic responsibility.

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm glad this issue made it into the minds of the ORG before I even posted this thread:

http://blog.burningman.com/2014/08/buil ... urn-night/

Reading the Dancetronauts Facebook page they are definitely feeling picked on. https://www.facebook.com/dancetronauts

I just hope they realize that an embarrassing and regretted action can be overcome by working to do better in the future. If anybody knows that from personal experience, I do. I fucked up big time about 6 years ago within the burner community and while there are still some that have not forgiven me, I know personally that I've not repeated the same mistakes and regrettable behavior as before.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Sorry your butt hurts a little, Dancetronauts...that's why I've been sharpening the pitchfork since Burn Night.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Mealy-mouthed apology:
Yes, we had ONE DJ in particular make a couple of shameless shout outs during HIS set during burn night. Basically announcing himself (2x), name of tracks (only played 3 of them) and his album coming out in 2 weeks (1x). 5x in total was the music interrupted, yes, super annoying but not nearly, as excessive as, it's being made out to be. An artist who perhaps got caught up in the moment, forgot where he was or simply wasn't thinking and made a mistake. Now all of us are embarrassed, receive hate mail and are being accredited for ruining people's entire week at Burning Man because of this???... and that we should now be kicked of the playa? Yeah, F*CK the Dancetronauts!!! Although, I am just one person and the official 'Cyber Troll' for Dancetronauts, who wasn't even able to attend the Burn this year.... I am also Guilty by association, which now makes us all horrible people for allowing such self promotion to be broadcasted for that 10secs during your burn. There's no defending needed, we accept the ridicule and had no intent of causing such a disturbance. This was obviously a f*ck up. On behalf of the crew we apologize. The apology you are all looking for will need to come from the perpetrator himself. We do the same thing at Burn night the previous 5 years, we host dozens of Dj's all week and year after year... and I am sure if anyone from the fire conclave would have communicated, planned or reached out to us, we would have gladly broadcasting their music for 20 mins or TURNED IT DOWN FOR WHAT! lol. We have several Dancetronauts who spin fire and who were out there, we understand and support the art and performance. So stop making it seem like we were all sabotage, self-absorbed and destruction. Burn your complaints and let it go, this is the last thing anyone should be holding onto. PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES, LET HIM OWN UP TO IT!
Wasn't even there and is totally sure what happened. (Of course, I wasn't there either, but I'm not making myself a spokes person about it. Anyway, I believe the fuckos, not this idiot's sources.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:03 pm

You know that if Dancetronauts were not playing, everybody here complaining would have subjected to seriously loud OLD country music coming from some two story wooden looking MV. Songs like the Duke's of Hazard theme, and other horrible country twang. I was sandwiched behind Dancetronauts, and that hillbilly thing....now that was awful. Thats all I could hear, and like I said I was damn near the yellow safety tape for the DN's and OED.
I didn't think a thing about it, until I read this bitchfest, and it got me thinking and remembering it, had this topic never started, it wouldn't have been a thought at all.

I don't see anybody bitching about Purple Palace, or Mayan Warrior who were blaring at insane levels during their DMV night licence, where there ARE signs to turn the sound systems off. That is a place where they are suppose to be quiet, yet there they were forcing their sounds on everybody who is in line trying to get their licence.

I say that as counter to the crowd mentality going on here. I actually was drooling over the systems while in line at DMV.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 pm

crocodile tears.

i still say fuck those assholes...they broke the 11th principle.....

.DON'T FUCK WITH ANYONE ELSES BURN

duh..

period.....the end.
Frida Be You & Me

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:07 pm

American Boyfriend and I enjoyed the grandstand themed art car and it's heckling on a couple of occasions. One point was while we were lounging under the flames at Fire in Balance along with a crowd of other people and the grandstand rolled past and said "What are you people doing lying around?! You're missing Burning Man! It's a rave not a cuddle puddle dammit! Get your lives together!" It was such a good mix of irreverence to the "no spectators" thing, self aware meta humour and a simple idea being pulled off really really well.

We also had a few moments out in deep playa where we'd be exploring a dimly lit and out of the way art pice and an art car would roll up and the art piece we'd been enjoying would suddenly be overrun by people taking a quick glance at it and then riding on. We likened it to cruise ships that pull into a destination just long enough for people to pile off, all take the exact same picture of a landmark and then get back on before heading to the next destination. That's not a way I'd ever travel. But despite being a bit perturbing it wasn't *that* big a deal and I think the smug satisfaction we got from being art snobs and muttering about how they were doing it wrong outweighed any annoyance. Actually the smugness may have even been a nett positive, it was fun playing haughty art snob and kinda added a layer of silliness to the whole adventure. :)

Return to “Stories”