DJ Art Cars And Their Effect On Art

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Roberto Dobbisano

Re: DJ Art Cars And Their Effect On Art

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:my my sheila, for someone who enjoys dishing it out in heaping helpings, you certainly are not good at taking it...

didnt know they grew such thin skin down under.

sorry, but i'm not impressed, nor do i have to be or do anything for anyone...

sorry toots, it is what it is, and i calls em' as i sees em'.

i think you should throw in one or two more cliches for good measure.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:i think you should throw in one or two more cliches for good measure.
Something about throwing out the burner with the bath water?
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:02 pm

AntiM wrote:
Jovankat wrote:Oh if he straight up doesn't like the pyro I could understand that, what I'm finding hard to believe is the idea that someone would be ok with the idea of there being pyro at the man burn but not wanting it to be officially integrated into the burn.

I'd be good with random pyro shows out on the deep playa, shows, not just shooting some crap off, and never over the city, of course. If you catch a show great, if not, so what? I'd also be good with a few flares over the Man to signal the burn, then BAM! Fire! I would also be good without the flame procession beforehand, and I work with a conclave. A unified soundtrack? I WANT TO PUKE! You can't escape the stupid sound vehicles unless you stay away from the burn, so fuck off about "don't sit near an art car". Fuck that, fuck it sideways with a chainsaw, flying fuck it at a rolling donut, take it on a flying fuck to the moon.

How about nothing but drum circles and chanting? Yeah, thought not.

yeah...that...
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:06 pm

good now that the thread drift is settled can we get back to the original intent of this Post?

to discuss how certain "art" cars decided to use the Burns as Venues for their DJ's...and how this sucked (cough, cough, dancetronauts)

not whether or not we should have Andrew Lloyd Webber write the score for the next temple burn...
Frida Be You & Me

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Yes! YES! Andrew Lloyd Webber for the win! Can I have his autograph and get a selfie with him? Maybe do an EDM remix of The Starlight Express? We can get John Tesh as lead synth & piano and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir as backup singers? PLEASE?

Oh. Wait.... Sorry.... Thought you were being serious there... :lol:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Ugh... I couldn't even stand another Andrew W.L. opera.

Don't even joke about that.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:19 pm

in review

"The most frustrating example of this (for me personally) was the Dancetronauts when they pulled up alongside the audience watching the Alien Siege Machine's show & burn. The people behind the siege machine had thoughtfully created a massive show involving artillery, squads of fighters, fireworks, and explosives. Mid-way through the show the fucking Dancetronauts showed up BLASTING their music, making it VERY unpleasant to watch the unfolding show taking place in front of those of us around the 6 - 7:30 side of the burn perimeter. At one point the DJ starts blah blah blahing about how they are going out to the Temple to spin in a bit (REALLY? THE TEMPLE?), and then some blissed-out hippy woman got on the mic and started blah blah blahing about how much she "loves burning man" and wants to "share the love" with everybody. It was so loud I'm surprised the nearby ground crew and perimeter volunteers for the Alien Siege Machine could even hear their own radios, which considering explosives were involved is probably a bad thing."
Frida Be You & Me

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Is that who these wankers were? the dancenotrots?

I kept yelling back "You wouldn't need to yell at me to 'make sum noize!' if you'd STFU and play some shit!" Since when did the buttholes with bullhorns graduate to lifted artcars? and VIP? oh Shut up and play music! And don't turn up your PA when the crowd is covering their ears. That is your signal as an experienced DJ that A: You suck. B: You've obviously thumbed the dB past safe sound pressure levels and are injuring your audience, perhaps permanently (IE- you're a douchebag) C: Only your 15 year old girlfriend and the friends you gave free drugs to enjoy your dj sets. D: you need to spend more time on youtube 'how to dj like a bonecrushing pimp' channels.

Even the virgins I was with were asking, "You can do that? Hype your album? I thought that wasn't allowed." I told them it wasn't but that Dancotrots were owned by Madonna so she could get away with more than the rest of us.

I'll have to fill in one of the DMV forms when I'm not feeling lazy so that these boners will go back to Jersey Shore and hawk their wares there yo.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:good now that the thread drift is settled can we get back to the original intent of this Post?
[/color]
Yep, I'm not going to publicly give you any further fodder for the bullying you so clearly enjoy. :roll:

But seriously you should probably plonk me.

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Jovankat wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:good now that the thread drift is settled can we get back to the original intent of this Post?
[/color]
Yep, I'm not going to publicly give you any further fodder for the bullying you so clearly enjoy. :roll:

But seriously you should probably plonk me.
Uh oh. You made it sound like a challenge. Now he really won't plonk you. :twisted:

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Just so long as he stops complaining, I'm okay.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:58 pm

I just find it hilarious that he fought so hard against the idea of people being shushed at the temple burn because freedom of expression or whatever but he's more than happy to shush me on here and do his best to be insulting while he's at it.

And the "I just want to talk about the topic at hand dammit, but here's a comment that will garner a couple more off-topic posts too" thing is pretty amusing as well.

Uh oh we're off topic again :twisted:

louisacrystal
Burning Since: 2000

Post by louisacrystal » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:02 am

Dancetronauts art car promoted their album throughout the whole Man Burn! It really put a damper on the Man Burn. To listen to someone saying buy my album in two weeks! And every 5 minutes saying your listening to DJ (Full of himself) live from BRC! Like we should be so grateful to be in his DJ holy presence! We go to BRC to get away from people trying to shove sales down our throats! they have all year to advertise.The Dancetronauts need to be reminded that commercial promotion of themselves is against what Burning Man is! If they want to GIFT music to the playa that's one thing! (But generally a VD is not considered a gift) and when you expect to gain record sales from it, it's no longer a gift at all! If Mr DJ is so amazing anyways then people will look him up after the Burn! I try to stay FAR FAR AWAY from the Dancetronauts but I know that allot of the 20 year old kids like them! I just don't want the younger virgin crowd to think it's acceptable to sell at Burning Man. Burning Man can however be a good platform if used wisely. But the way the Dancetronauts did it was tacky! I hope that they stay away from BRC permanently!
I have gone out to find myself. If I get back before I return, Please keep me here until I get back. Thank you!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:02 am

im sorry dear you feel so butt hurt, but honestly, even though you may THINK it is, this thread is NOT ABOUT YOU.....

so don't try to make it so...

BACK ON TOPIC.

now run along, and go play in some other thread.
Frida Be You & Me

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 am

48_love wrote:fireworks are cheesy

oooh ahhhhh

fuck that

blow it up with fire
Fireworks are the moopiest (sp) thing on the Playa. If they aren't done by an organized art project with a good LNT plan then forget it. Flame effects are all together different. I vote fire, big fire, fire that evokes the envy of Satan himself. (did I go too far? I think not) --and for the record I think Satan is really a woman

Back to the OP, I was 2 people away from Simon working perimeter for the Siege Machine & if perimeter leads had trouble communicating then that is a huge safety problem. I am curious to hear back from Chiefdanfox about that.

BTW Simon, you were looking very cosmopolitan in your green suit & fez. (not hitting on you, just say'n)

Jovankat - I like reading your posts but respectfully disagree with you about the soundtrack idea (having visions of Disney's light parade) This is not a default world fireworks display.
-Damn it now I can't get Small World out of my head.
- And you know that we all need to be thick skinned around Simon, as he calls it as he sees it. I think it's his version of radicle inclusion.

I personally didn't encounter much asshatery this year, but a self promoting DJ flies in the face of everything that is Burning Man (to me).
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 am

^ this ^

and i apologize if i come across as brusque, JovanKat, but you have to understand something....i have been doing this shit for NINETEEN FUCKING YEARS...

i am also somewhat observant, and astute in my condensation and digestion of playa politics, culture, traditions and a number of different anthropological definitions of social structure and activities at burning man.

im not the end all and be all, or an "Expert", but i do know my shit....and i think until you have a few more years experience under your belt, i would advise you not to "come at me" as it were, i do not like to fight anymore, but when i do...i win...

so...let's just end this now, before it escalates, and things get ugly.

Ok?

if not....you will be the one who will have to plonk me, not the other way around.
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:35 am

The problem with a unified soundtrack, other than the Disneyesqueness of it, is that someone with a mega sound system would tune it in and force it on us all. No. No, no, no. Whether the MV's own choice, or the "brand of the Man", overwhelming, unescapable sound is unwelcome.

A soundtrack is not missing. Official or otherwise.

Chaos is just fine.

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:^ this ^

and i apologize if i come across as brusque, JovanKat, but you have to understand something....i have been doing this shit for NINETEEN FUCKING YEARS...

i am also somewhat observant, and astute in my condensation and digestion of playa politics, culture, traditions and a number of different anthropological definitions of social structure and activities at burning man.

im not the end all and be all, or an "Expert", but i do know my shit....and i think until you have a few more years experience under your belt, i would advise you not to "come at me" as it were, i do not like to fight anymore, but when i do...i win...

so...let's just end this now, before it escalates, and things get ugly.

Ok?

if not....you will be the one who will have to plonk me, not the other way around.
If you want this to stay on topic why do you keep replying to me in way that is blatantly baiting me to respond further? That post could have easily been a PM. The only person making this thread all about me is you by continuing to reply to me with this meta discussion. I'm happy to accept that a soundtrack for the burn is not a popular idea and drop it, (in fact I dropped it several posts ago, you now seem to be the one who can't drop this little tangent) but I'm not going to slink away and not participate in this or other discussions just because you're trying to intimidate me. I've learnt interesting things from the other posters in this thread (and from you in other threads) that more than make up for the abuse I cop from you. So sorry but I care more about engaging with and learning about these topics then I do about placating you.

And I have no intention of plonking you or anyone else because I prefer to hear all views on things and agree or disagree as appropriate and it really does seem that my posts upset you a lot more than yours upset me. It also seems counterintuitive for you to complain about veering off topic by going even further off topic to have a meta discussion about me when you could just ignore me but I guess that's up to you.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:37 pm

tl:dr
Frida Be You & Me

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:38 pm

:roll:

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:41 pm

I don't want a broadcasted unified soundtrack, I want a broadcasted unified commentary while watching; "The fire can now be seen spreading to the upper right side panels. The crowd seems restless in anticipation of the next effect. Wait! We've had reports that a pyrotechnic device has just gone off to the left of the structure, bringing a hearty response from the gathered onlookers. This piece of art really came here to Burn tonight. For those keeping score at home, that makes it Black Rock Pyroes sweeping the division with 100% wins, while Black Rock Fire Department ends the season with 0 saves. And now a word from tonights sponsors, Krug, over on the Danceaholics stage. Any rebroadcast, retransmission, or account of this Burn, without the express written consent of Media Mecca is prohibited. "
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:47 pm

That sounds just like the grandstand car! Was anyone near them for the burn? I'd be interested to know if they did just that. From what I saw of them the rest of the week they may just have been able to pull that off humourlessly although I'm sure it wouldn't have been everyone's cup of tea. Anyone know what they did for the burn?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:53 pm

And I don't want a burn, I want an interpretive dance improvised to Bri's commentary.

And in 2016, the same, underwater. Sharks are optional.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:57 pm

a cathedral of Nice...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

diss0nance
Burning Since: 2004

Post by diss0nance » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Bmir appears to shift focus to Camp Envy during the man burn and I would not change that so if you want a unified sound track, and I don't, you would have to find a different station or ....?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Hey, Leni, I think you meant:
The Lady with a Lamprey

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:23 pm

So we've discussed DJ Art Cars and their effect on Art. But what about their effect on Cars? Or even DJs?

golgotha-a-go-go

Post by golgotha-a-go-go » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Good call HGC. Sir Nevile got it right.
homo sum, nihil humani a me alienum est, puto...

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:48 pm

maladroit wrote:So we've discussed DJ Art Cars and their effect on Art. But what about their effect on Cars? Or even DJs?
Most of these DJ Art Cars have been converted from something that at one time had a useful purpose; the irony of teaming working vehicles with DJs is delicious Burning Man absurdity at it's best.
The impact of DJ Art Cars on DJs, I believe, is that most DJs vastly improv when put on a car that can be driven somewhere else.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:49 pm

...never seen an even DJ (just odd ones)

:lol:
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Return to “Stories”