'14 cheers and jeers

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

'14 cheers and jeers

Post by Bounce530 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Topic for shout outs, and shout downs-

Cheers to:
BDC (especially TamraKay and Wildman)
DMV hotties for a noticeable easier licensing process
Camp Anita for perfect sound levels at perfect times
Our independant and nameless camp neighbors on I about 6:32ish (the canadians, and camp across the way with "Boney Bitch"

Jeers to:
Entry Gayte for the extended chit chat sessions, which added to extended wait times getting in, and training sessions.
the asshats who brake the porto's. Why would you break off the locks, seats/lids, TP hangers??
the asshats who left huge amounts of trash in the trough porto's
the asshat who broke off the street sign to steal the 5mph sign, but carried the post down the street to right in front of my camp and proceeded to slam the post against the ground trying to get the sign off the post, creating wood splinter MOOP for me to pick up the next morning..."but the man fell so it's ok"
The entitled fuck in a bear suit walking to the burn up 6:30 who jumped onto my MV and proceeded to tell me that I needed to give him and his party a ride because they could all fit on top of my MV. NO YOU CANT! I know the weight limits of my little buggy, don't argue with me about it, jeerk!
What other people think about you is none of your business.

skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Re: '14 cheers and jeers

Post by skippy3k » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:45 am

Cheers to:

The naked guy across the street practicing gymnastics and yoga in the dust, including Happy Baby. We saw a LOT of anus. He provided hours of entertainment for us.
Victrola, our Ranger neighbor and new friend. Just because he was cool and helpful and knew the exact moments to hangout in our camp but not overstay his welcome. (If that was even possible.)
The guy in the Airstream trailer who drove down the center of Hwy 447 to block two asshole cars swerving in and out of traffic at high speeds trying to pass everyone on the way to the playa.
The entire neighborhood around 8:15 and J. All great people, not a single bad neighbor in the bunch. It really changes your burn when everyone around you are awesome.

Jeers to:

The two asshole cars swerving in and out of traffic on 447. (See above.)
My brain and it's seemingly endless ways it tries to ruin my first day on the playa year after year. This year it chose extreme stress.
Whoever fucks up the porta potties. I just don't get it. Each year they find some way to fuck it up for everyone else.
The camp with the leaky propane connections. First they blew up their stove, and then later their pilot light ignited a propane leak (again) which "poofed" out an explosion of flame from the windows. Luckily no one was hurt, just their RV was sooted out. But it could have endangered peoples lives. Get your RV shit worked out before you arrive people.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 am

Cheers to:

*The folks at the Burning Sky Camp. The Firefly ride was the best gift I've ever received on the playa. Thank you!
*All of the hard working volunteers on the perimeter crews. A big thank you for a (usually) thankless job!
*Rampart and the LEO's I came in contact with. Rampart was busy, but responsive and helped get a couple of campmates back in the game after injuries. All of the LEO's I had the pleasure of interacting with were pleasant, and seemed to really get it. They all seemed to be doing their best to be a part of the event.
***Most of all...Cheers to my wife, who made it through her first burn with flying colors and is now thinking of ways to get back home!

Jeers to:

*The gate crew organizers for a 3 hour wait on Friday before the event opened. After a smooth roll along 447 with little traffic, the wait to get through the gate was ridiculous. There were only two entry gates open out of at least 8 that were set up and ready to go. Get your volunteers there earlier and figure out a better will call system. Piss Poor Planning!

*The guy who parked his bike against my art car at the Embrace Burn. The handlebars poked a nice hole through the outer shell. I hope you found it later (not really), as I moved it about a 100 yds away into another jumble of bikes. Asshole!

*My campmates for bailing on us on the Burn night. We had finished cleaning up after preparing dinner for 40 people and were getting dressed for the evening. When we emerged, they whole camp was empty. My wife and I had a great time, but it would have been nice if just one of our camp members had given us a thought...

Even with the jeers, it was my best burn yet. Thanks everyone for making it happen!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:58 am

Jeers: he three Winnebagos and airstream that passed on hills and around curves. Almost caused several accidents. Also it didn't get them anywhere faster. We all ended up at the wadsworth intersection together.

Cheers: getting a spot at the souk for dying silk!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:07 am

Cheers: To Bob and the Lucky Lady Too
All the wonderful people who made BDC what it is (the best damn theme camp on the playa), including, but not limited to: Wildman, Felony Arson, Blowphish, Tamara & Ken, MyDearFriend, Graidawg, Meercats, Ygmir and Marty, Cantina Vida, Barbie Day Spa, Lucky 420, Elorrum, Drawingablank, and the Pancake Porkout Crew.

Jeers: To the fucking stupid asshole who tore the heads off of the Nazis on the final day. Those bastards cost me nearly $50 apiece. I hope you're happy, shitforbrains.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 am

Cheers to everybody, it was an awesome burn.
JEERS! The fucking security team from the Google camp on the segways. The Google enclave was 2 blocks from my camp, kitty-corner. The SECURITY TEAM would speed right through the middle of our camp, (and I mean the MIDDLE!) doing 20-30mph. Never said "sorry", never said "excuse us". Radio in ears, on a mission. Fucking asshats. Next year, we set the traps. Morons.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Miles

Post by Miles » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:04 pm

JayBobBoy wrote: *The guy who parked his bike against my art car at the Embrace Burn. The handlebars poked a nice hole through the outer shell. I hope you found it later (not really), as I moved it about a 100 yds away into another jumble of bikes. Asshole!

You stole somebodies bike. You're an even bigger asshole, because you knew what you were doing. Fucking. Asshole.
I like bikes and stuff

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 pm

cheers to all the people

jeers to the few of those people who decided that going to the front or middle of the line leaving will call parking lot was the way to do it

one of my second year "solve all the burning man problems suggestions" will be around specific ingress and egress lanes and overall traffic flow for will call parking

JayBobBoy

Post by JayBobBoy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Asshole...yeah maybe. A lot of hard work messed up by a careless person has a way of bringing out the douche in me.

I prefer to think that I parked it in a much more appropriate location with all the other bicycles. For safety reasons, of course!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Jbob boy I think you showed great restraint in just moving the bike and not the inconsiderate person that mistook a big red fish for his personal bike rack.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

thirt33n
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Miles wrote:
JayBobBoy wrote: *The guy who parked his bike against my art car at the Embrace Burn. The handlebars poked a nice hole through the outer shell. I hope you found it later (not really), as I moved it about a 100 yds away into another jumble of bikes. Asshole!

You stole somebodies bike. You're an even bigger asshole, because you knew what you were doing. Fucking. Asshole.

durr. Miles. take a time out. lol
blow.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Miles wrote:

Fuck that! I vote for JayBobBoy!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Miles

Post by Miles » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm sure it was a moment of thoughtlessness, a mistake on their part. Also you're a huge mooper, you left a ~4ft ~30lb hunk of steel for restoration crew to deal with. Fucking asshole.

Probably should have made your art more sturdy too.
I like bikes and stuff

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Miles wrote:I'm sure it was a moment of thoughtlessness, a mistake on their part. Also you're a huge mooper, you left a ~4ft ~30lb hunk of steel for restoration crew to deal with. Fucking asshole.

Probably should have made your art more sturdy too.
So Jay should have made his art more sturdy? How about if jerk asked him first if he could park his bike against his art?
How do you not know that inconsiderate jerk didn't find his bike?

Yes it rained but the slope isn't that slippery!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Cheers to:
•Our camp (BRC Weekly/ Bootie BRC) - best, most drama-free year ever. Just a fucking great group of people, out to bring you a fun newspaper & a lot of music with words.

•Fandango for being my camp away from camp (actually, it's almost my primary camp, and I just sleep somewhere else). I love tending bar, playing Trivial Pursuit, screaming at "customers", stripping hot boys so I can tramp-stamp 'em, and getting loved back by the best, most fucked-up yet loving crew of assholes on the playa. I fucking love those bastards.

•Root Society (and Simon) for once again inviting us to play there - Rootie Bootie is becoming one of our favorite gigs on the playa (and I don't even DJ). A Plus D built the crowd from a few dozen to thousands in about 20 minutes, and it was a beautiful thing to watch.

•My bestie, for incredible nights on the playa discovering new things (and making me go down that damn Volcano Slide)

•the Burning Ladies, for adopting us on Monday night and keeping us laughing around the fire tornado in a box.

Jeers to:
•The fucking Burnicles who not only set up in our camp on Tuesday, but attached their shade structure to ours while having the balls to tell us they had more friends joining them - before our whole camp was on-playa. Needless to say they didn't stay in our camp (hell, we won't let most of our friends camp with us, we're not letting strangers just set up like they own the place)

•The asswipe who stole one of our bikes from our private area on Sunday night. Fuck you.

•The (rangers?) who were golf-carting around the cluster-fuck that was Will Call on Sat morning before Gate. People were nearly coming to blows over the non-moving line, and when we tried to get help or guidance from them, they just said "sort it out amongst yourselves" and zipped off. Very useful.

•Myself, for totally losing track of time on Weds while bar-tending at Fandango & missing the Meet 'n Greet for the first time in years. Ugh.

•My kidney-stone for fucking up my Friday night (though it gets a "cheers" for passing in 12 hours, so the rest of the weekend wasn't ruined)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Miles

Post by Miles » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:34 pm

two wrongs and all that.......*exits thread*
I like bikes and stuff

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Cheers:
* For the exodus organizers getting it right this year.
* The builders of Embrace. That beating heart inside it was particularly amazing I thought.
* Spanky's Wine Bar, because screaming "I'm a pretty pony" while galloping around pantless is the best way to get your drink of choice.
* My new friends.

Jeers:
* The rain. Didn't impact my experience (garbage bags zip-tied on feet for the win), but I felt bad for folks trapped for so long. One couple I know was trapped for 24 hours with a 1 year old in the car. Not fun.

thirt33n
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Miles wrote:two wrongs and all that.......*exits thread*

Cheers to "Miles" for exiting thread
Jeers to "Miles" for being "Miles"
blow.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Miles wrote:

Bullshit. I can't seem to write the rest of this post without deleting it and trying to channel some Savannah...
Let's just say I condone your reaction to your art getting fucked up.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:50 pm

it must have been Miles bike :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:56 pm

Cheers to my neighbors/campmates..Elloit, Figjam, Maryanimal, Sunbeam56, Grey Coyote, Chuckularone, Kowtow, Martini Steve, Patsh and her gang, and the Wonderful Unjon Harley! You guys are the best for so many reasons! I was amused and amazed and entertained by all of you and consider you all part of my extended chosen family now.

Cheers to the guy who set up a table with mouthwash, toothbrushes, combs, hand sanitizer etc. in front of the JOTS at 5:00 and H - he dressed like a high class bathroom attendant too...great gift.

Jeers to the guy I saw peeing on the playa just past Esplanade at 5:00.

Jeers to the asshats that couldn't figure out how to get used toilet paper into the porto's - it's really pretty simple - use it, drop it in....it blew into my camp, thankyouverymuch...
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Cheers- to the magnificent people of Black Rock City. To the eplayans who helped me fix my chariot; Jackass for directing me to Black Rock Welding, and motskyroonmatick for doing the welding right. To the bike shops who helped fix my wheels. To my camp boss for running a good show. To half the newbs in camp, especially my lacky Chris and my confidant Lulu, who totally brought it, showing us all how it’s done. They burned it right. To the girl handing me a cookie on The Front Porch, and its crew who keep it out at the Temple burn after hours. To the square dancers across the street, belly dancer down the block and the live band on top of the bus. To those at the Meet and Greet; thank you, you really host a nice party, and are too kind.

Jeers- to the horrible situation/people/ideals that give rise to Camp Douche out on 9 and L. To the abomination of beer cans throw in the porta potties before gate by early arrival crews (!?!?!?!!!). To those who came only to rave or to fulfill a lame bucket list. To the newbs in camp that fall under those past categories. To Media Mecca, because I am petty and mean. To every one who asked me only one question, “So….how many Burns have you been to?” To the hip chill young cool burner dude with his hip chill young cool burner chick, cutting in line, as only the hippie knows how, for spaghetti tacos, all the while spouting worthless affirmations, and then casually telling the “help” he wants more sauce.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Cheers:

To Jovankat for the most awesome camp for a first time burner!
To every single campmate in Flamingos for being the bestest camp buddies ever!
To everyone I met at the meet and great. Sorry about the boobie punch Anti but at least I didn't make you strip! :)
To the designer of the volcano. Sacrificing people from 9pm to 2am on Tuesday night was awesome!
To whomever made the sacrifice that pleased the exodus gods.

Jeer:

To whomever didn't make the appropriate sacrifice to the weather gods. Rain, hail and lightning on day 1?
To everyone selling shit in Wadsworth during entry. Get your parking issues sorted next year!
To the dancetronauts. I heard the DJ burn night and even as a first timer it struck me as crazy innapropriate.

Super Uber Up Yours Jeer:

To the monstrous bronchitis and common cold bug that hit me Tuesday night and is still haunting me now. FU! No ruin my burn for me! The stuffed up nose, razor blade to the throat cough, chunky lung hacking I can deal with and power through. The drained energy that took a monstrous amount of effort to do even the littlest thing really crimped my burn :(

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:47 pm

Seconding the jeers to the Dancetronauts DJ. Self-promoting during the man burn? Fuck those guys. "No wrong way to burn" yadda yadda fuck that. Fuck them.
Jeers to the drunk asshat at Campoline who was ignoring the camp member's pleas to get off the trampoline that was breaking and accused me of being "too scared" to join him in ignoring her (which definitely would have broken it).
Jeers to the people who used my camp's mailbox as an ashtray.

Cheers to damn near everyone else. This year's burn was awesome.
Extra cheers to everyone at the Steam Bath Project. I've seldom felt that clean anywhere, let alone at the burn.
Extra cheers to everyone I met at the Meet and Greet, I was super sorry I had to leave early.
Extra cheers to the Burning Skies guys who took my burgin buddy up on a flight over the city. You definitely made his year.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:14 am

skippy3k wrote:Jeers to:

The camp with the leaky propane connections. First they blew up their stove, and then later their pilot light ignited a propane leak (again) which "poofed" out an explosion of flame from the windows. Luckily no one was hurt, just their RV was sooted out. But it could have endangered peoples lives. Get your RV shit worked out before you arrive people.

Sounds like our sketchy neighbor 2 yrs. ago. It's a good thing I brought an extinguisher, his RV did the same thing....

As a bonus he was storing two 5 gallon plastic gas cans inside, now that's a rush!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:37 am

Cheers: Kowtow for forcing me to go out to the sound camps on Tuesday night and allowing me to discover that I really do like EDM

Jeers: Kowtow for passing out on Wednesday and leaving me to go out on my own.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 am

Cheers:

1. The Plug and Play camper that I spoke with on Friday who changed how I look at PnP. Here's the thing: We're all dusty once we hit the playa. Thanks, Bill.

2. The Plug and Play camp near me that totally blew my mind.

Jeers:

1. Second year Playa Veterans and Third Year Joes who seem to feel like they know everything. The most valuable lesson I learned midway through my fourth year, this year: I know absolutely fucking nothing about how any of this works. I hereby apologize to anyone I 2nd-year-vetted or 3rd-year-Joed. I did it a lot. I know. Jeers to 1st-2nd-3rd year me.

2. The guy who sexually assaulted my girlfriend last year in a staff camp. That was awesome, and he still works for the staff camp in question because "he's old school". Fuck that.

3. The girl who sexually assaulted me on the esplanade this year, and her group that laughed it off and told me to get over it. Fuck you to the highest degree.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:42 am

Ano wrote: 2. The guy who sexually assaulted my girlfriend last year in a staff camp. That was awesome, and he still works for the staff camp in question because "he's old school". Fuck that.

3. The girl who sexually assaulted me on the esplanade this year, and her group that laughed it off and told me to get over it. Fuck you to the highest degree.
I'm very sorry that you had these experiences. I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not. I would guess that BRC is safer than many places on earth, but not safe.

Rape culture lives on...

In 06 we had a sexual assault incident, and the Rangers were helpful. Black Swan was the one we dealt with. I don't know, maybe the guy was a ranger and it was the rangers who gave you the "old school" line; I can only tell you that in that instance they acted right. If Joseph Pred were still in charge at ESD, I'd totally trust him on this matter, but he's not, and I don't know who is in charge, and how much s/he "gets it". I also don't know if Pollyanna is still in charge of the mental health subset, but she gets it too.
The Bureau of Erotic Discourse isn't more than an educational organization--no power to do anything practical after an assault, but education on these matters is their/our mission. But if you want to channel anger, etc., into something we're always looking for volunteers.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sunbeam56
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 am

Three loud cheers to Grey Coyote, without whom TTITD would not have been possible. He built our dome. He built uor shade. He drove the whole trip.

Three loud cheers to Elliot, who hosted us. His advice, steady support and kindness made our BM comfy.

Three loud cheers to Sadie, whose fierce self-reliance and organization is an example to try to match.

Three loud cheers to Kowtow, whose self-deprecating humor kept us laughing. Rodney Dangerfield would approve. :)

Three loud cheers to Chucklarone, who had the BEST burn. Adventure, explored, fell in love, fell, and flew :)

Thank you all for making my Burn :)
Let GOOD win!

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 am

Sunbeam56 wrote:Three loud cheers to Grey Coyote, without whom TTITD would not have been possible. He built our dome. He built uor shade. He drove the whole trip.

Three loud cheers to Elliot, who hosted us. His advice, steady support and kindness made our BM comfy.

Three loud cheers to Sadie, whose fierce self-reliance and organization is an example to try to match.

Three loud cheers to Kowtow, whose self-deprecating humor kept us laughing. Rodney Dangerfield would approve. :)

Three loud cheers to Chucklarone, who had the BEST burn. Adventure, explored, fell in love, fell, and flew :)

Thank you all for making my Burn :)
And endless cheers to Sunbeam who fed the city! Those amazing bacon tamales made many peoples burn! Her cooking sustained me through my burn. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Return to “Stories”