Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro: Positive or negative?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro: Positive or negative?

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:26 am

I have received several e-mails from the denizens of Black Rock City and most were very positive about our camp, BDC&WB. But several were pointedly negative, with the belief the somehow Klaus Barbie entered into the picture. If you visited our little slice of paradise on the playa (Wheeeee!ville, 4:00 and Venus) I would appreciate your feedback.

Doc

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:37 am

What can I say Doc? The hospitality is faultless, and the passers-by had big grins on thier faces. Child-of-a-holocost-surviror-lite so I can be twitchy about some manifestations of "jokes" about the whole thing. On the other hand, I don't believe that that particular slaughter is any more sacred than any other slaughter. And if we can't laugh at ourselves, what do we get to laugh out. It's an edgy humor, but often the edgy stuff points us to where we need to spend a lot of time thinking.

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:38 am

Dr. Pryo! I loved your camp. It was very welcoming and the Barbies were great. I've shown pics of it to my friends and they think it's hilarious, with all the Barbies lined up in the front. The hospitality was great and so were all the people. I tried to come back to thank you on Monday but I didn't see anyone around your zone.

Klaus never entered the picture for me, although truth be told I had to do a search to find out exactly who you were talking about (I knew it was something to do with Nazi death camps, I just needed more details). I thought of it more as a death camp for Barbies to kill of their Barbieness.

You know, there are some people that just like to complain, and nothing you ever do will make them happy.

sk8ers

Post by sk8ers » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:09 am

I loved your camp too! I told everyone I met to go visit when talking about my favorite camps :)

(in fact I'm the girl you guys invited into your trailer during the dust storm who got the pasties from the canadian couple that you invited in as well)

Hope to see you on the playa next year!

xo
"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul" --Plato

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:16 am

Maybe next time string barbed wire around the Barbies. Give the whiners something to bitch about.
Desert dogs drink deep.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:20 am

Art sometimes causes strong reactions in people, both positive and negative. That your art was able to elicit both speaks volumes. I saw it and chuckled to myself. Sometimes people need to lighten up a little and not take stuff so seriously.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:03 am

Thank you DR,

Your a great host. I enjoyed your camp. The only down side was it was to windy and cold. Can you try and do some thing about that next year?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

dj big E

Great

Post by dj big E » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:42 am

I loved it. And I think that others that dont like it. Should make a mental note or mark it on theyre map and avoid it. Lots of places in our city i avoid. Anyways cant wait till nekt year. I will bring another barbie to send to the oven . Lmao

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:53 am

Yeah, these are all people he plied with his SILVER MEDAL winning wine. I'm here to warn you that the good Docktor is an inveterate wine snob! I still have issues with him pouring the wine I proffered back into the bottle. (I don't even want to speculate on the backwash factor...). Yeah it was a "white merlot" and less then $6 a bottle, but still jeez. It hurt me, hurt me on the inside and it'll take years and years of expensive therapy to get over it.

<snif>

The art? I thought it rocked! But you'll notice I couldn't bring myself up to consign Big Wall Bondage Barbie to the E-Z Bake.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:01 pm

Guilty as charged blyslv my friend; at least I didn't wait until you turned your back and poured it back into the bottle. And we did give it away to people who could genuinely appreciate a white merlot. But as they say, "Don't knock it until you've tried it" and I tried it. Once.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:13 pm

I'm afraid that there are always going be a couple of people who 'just don't fucking get it'. Sad but true. But exactly why that sort of person needs to write you to tell you that is... strange to Sensei. How the hell those sorts of people make it to BM is also most curious to Sensei. Maybe we can thank Heather Grahamcracker, I don't know...

But I do know that that the Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro is one of the most hospitable and inclusive camps on the whole frickin' playa. It's just that simple. How anyone could not enjoy themselves here is also beyond me. Year in, year out, the Barbie Death Camp sets the high-water mark for gifting. Thanks again, Doc.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:06 pm

well, as someone who is friends with the real Barbie, Queen of Burningman, creator of the virtual universe, and regal style maven of all things, i was terribly offended. Barbie thought it was hillarious though, and didn't seem afraid to venture in the vicinity of your, ummm, camp, despite my numerous warnings for his safety. i mean her safety.

i even plotted against you, rallying the troups, determined to rescue as many barbies as possible from your evil clutches...but sheer laziness coupled with dust storms saved you from our onslaught.

in other words...loved it!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

KellY

Post by KellY » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:09 pm

The Black Rock City Building Inspectors had a lovely time visiting your camp and presenting you with your eviction notice, except for interacting with one fellow who seemed to take us just a little too seriously and felt the need to agressively rebel against our completely spurious authority. The wine and cheese was lovely, and I enjoyed the display immensely - though as I believe I noted on the form, Skipper was noticeably underrepresented.
"Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?" -Diogenes

Woodrow

Post by Woodrow » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:17 pm

I liked it!!! A lot of curvaceous little cuties... how come they wouldn't talk to me... they were a stuck up bunch... but cute!!!! I really liked the ones in leather and whips and stuff!!! Hey, can I hang out there more next year??? The big guy only brought me by for the meet n' greet and then wouldn't come by again... I had a great time... Like to see more of the barbies, though... Like, uh... more of the barbies, if you know what I mean.

and could you find some that will talk to me this time?.... Hey! I wonder who's at the Bar? Maybe that dishy Tisha... or even Glenda... Wheee! I'm outta' here....!!!
Hey! It's me!!!

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:38 pm

Sorry Doc, but it was better last year.

mr. fang

Post by mr. fang » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:23 pm

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:22 pm

I loved the camp and want to thank you for hosting the meet and greet.
KellY wrote: Skipper was noticeably underrepresented.
woodrow wrote: I had a great time... Like to see more of the barbies, though... Like, uh... more of the barbies, if you know what I mean.
I would have thought Sam would have noticed a Skipper in his shorts. [/quote]

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:40 am

Blender, it's always better last year.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:19 pm

Great camp! Wonderful hospitality! I know that hosting the Meet & Greet took time to organize and I thank you for that. I was disappointed about one thing. You should have launched at least one Barbie into orbit around BRC. After all, we have the technology. (I know those rockets have enough thrust) There will always be a few malcontents, don't let them get to you.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

skypilot

Post by skypilot » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:43 pm

:D wonderful camp, had a good time. you are a stand up guy. as a suggestion, the centerpiece of your camp for next year should be a blow up photo of trey's ass...comforting, yet soothing in a non-threatning sort of way.

calsur

Post by calsur » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:02 pm

I do not know if there was a statement that you where trying to make but to me it meant the “Death of the Barbie image”.

And everyone I have showed the pictures to off the Playa laughed their asses off. And THEN I showed them the camp sign “Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro”.

I am looking for barbies to send you.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:44 am

more barbies.......yeah!!!!!
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

mars

Post by mars » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:35 am

I somehow missed you this year, but last year I took some great video footage of your camp. I LOVED it!!!

I work with women who have eating disorders and I thought your camp was a brilliant combination of reenacting the worst of humanity, in terms of nazism, and the worst of our culture, in terms of the oppression of women based on physical perfection.

Perhaps that's not what you meant at all--I know how art goes--perhaps you just had a surplus of barbie dolls from your overindulging parents!

Actually, I'd love to hear a bit of the history/origins of this camp.

Thank you! It was a real treat to run across this in the desert.

Mars
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Desi Arnaz

Post by Desi Arnaz » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:56 pm

You guys rock, Doc. Keep it up. I too have showed pics of your installation to friends, they especially love the sign 'we put the barbie into bbq"

phoenix13

Post by phoenix13 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:04 pm

I loved the BDC&WB. Of course I wasn't too far away (4:00 and Mars), so I passed by it often. Met an interesting person there as well.

Good work! Can't wait to see what you guys do next year.
And in time we will all burn and become a new.

puppy

BArbie Hung and bound, Wonderful!

Post by puppy » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:44 am

Oh the little Pink structure with the barbies hung, and bound. I was speachless, I was mezmorized. The entire BArbie complex was WONDERFUL!!!
Puppy
=:-)

Stryder

Post by Stryder » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:35 pm

Freedom of expression is a two edged sword. It cuts both ways.
(I found the Barbie Death camp gloriously shocking. It made me both uneasy and made me laugh. Well done!) :shock:
"Look, good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else."

Zona

Post by Zona » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:22 pm

Well, I got really drunk there at your camp......And could you turn up the heat next year? I froze at the M&G.
Laika and me went on a ride.

Dr. Pyro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:21 am

I'll get right on it, Z.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:50 am

I knew it, you are God! I figured you had to be to get so many little women to do you bidding. well I suppose you could be the devil but Dr. Pyro would be to obvious of a name to take in that case, and you seemed like to nice a guy. But then again the devil would seem charming particularly to a Burning Man crowd......

Return to “Stories”