Best bar this year

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Re: Best bar this year

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:24 pm

Chairs....tables...music....inviting....shade shelter...inviting....?!?!?!?!?

You all are really over engineering this drinking thing. I enlisted a kick ass newb (no pretentious playa name, wore a fricken t-shirt as a costume all week, volunteered every day, danced to the fiddle, not a machine), we rolled two trailers behind our bikes out to point 3, the furthest we could get from the riff raff. In the trailers, 3 large ice chests full of 50 beers, 2 gallons hard liquor, 4 gallons pre-mixed margaritas, juice, orange and lemon lime soda, and lots of ice. No notice. In an hour we were cleaned out. Dozens and dozens and dozens of folks riding up on bikes, surprised and very happy to find ice-cold drinks waiting for them out there. Heck, we had return clients from years past make an appearance. Line perimeter showed up and shored up the trash fence better so our sign hanging from it could be seen. I instructed smokers about our strict smoking policy at The Last Bar on Earth (smoke em if you got em). Several of us jumped the fence to admire the reverse of the bar sign, reading First Bar on Playa, which it is if you are coming across the great wasteland. My newb got a message from a Amazonian blond while he sat on a cooler. Rangers rolled up on the outside of the fence to observe and I told them to go find their own party. Other Borg trucks would zoom by outside the fence and send plumes of dust our way, as only the truly pussyfied with a reputation of being tough, will do. When an art vehicle with a DJ on it finally showed up towards the end, I hit them with a rock. After the Man burned I hauled my bar signs out to the smoldering fire pile and tossed them in. Now some spiritual soul is walking around with a vial of ashes from The Man/my bar signs, and drawing strength from the power of positive drinking.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:42 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Finally made it the Green Hour, thanks to directions from the Red Baron. I finished their supply of ice-cold root beer twice, and was gifted a beautiful shot-glass.
*dusty grin*

I remember meeting you. I think Josh and Jenn were driving the airplane and marshalled you over. Sara designed the art and she and Dave brought the shotglasses. Dean and Monica brought the root-beer and the BRC-shaped bar, and Sharon and I brought the absinthe and the mutant vehicle. Our old friend Hans finaly made it out, which made our burn that much brighter. That was our entire camp.

The Principle that ambushed and embraced me this year was Immediacy. I was not ready for that. To hell with the biggest, loudest, greatest, wildest... ...the interactions we had with people such as yourself--however momentary--are what made the whole experience deeply meaningful to me this year. Thank you!

-Chris Gattman
The Green Hour
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Various
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Various Delights

Post by Various » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Tectonic, for letting me roll up and experiment with discount rum and half-thawed otter pops. I can't believe you guys sucked so many of those things down.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:31 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:...To hell with the biggest, loudest, greatest, wildest... ...the interactions we had with people such as yourself--however momentary--are what made the whole experience deeply meaningful to me this year. Thank you!
ImageImageImage
Amen to that!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

pug
Camp Name: Emerge-n-See InTentsIV Care Unit

Post by pug » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:38 pm

For coolness: 7 Deadly Gins - It was kinda the go to spot. I liked the age diversity, and how all KINDS of people danced on that bar - all ages, all genders. Not too loud, not too quiet. It was an "everybody has fun" kinda place.

For sheer gifting awesomeness with a crude camp that actually was a nice place to hang out: Home Brew 4A Home Brew. AWESOME gang there that just kept putting out the great beers and bar food. I had two growlers of good IPA I'd brought down from the Willamette Valley, and ended up just giving them the growlers as a gift. I wasn't touching them. Saw another example of return gifting when a marching band came by to play a few sets as a thank you.

For "holy crap out here?": Whatever that shack-like bar was serving Countrytime Lemonade & Vodka way out in the playa. Had a blast hanging out there for a while, and eventually hopped an art car. It wasn't about the drinks they had, it was the crazy fun of the location, the setting (dust storms), etc.

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Dementia was very nice. Mist in the afternoon with mojitos and killer DJs.
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Best playa bar ever!

was the place at the very last outter road and 3 o'clock.
Damn they had it set up! plus the drinks were all served with top shelf. Oh and Ice, yes even in the dead of night they served a cup full of ice.
)'(

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:43 am

Going to playa bars during the daytime is my favorite thing to do at BM. If I could have a five or six hour adventure every Saturday like I do every day at BM, I'd be in heaven. And probably dead of cirrhosis, but I'd die with a smile on my face.

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:02 am

Swish Embassy. that is all. except when it was Booby bar. then it was booby bar. Also getting a 3cc emrgency shot of moonshine from foxfur (he was so happy with his syringe)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

smilemore

Post by smilemore » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:53 am

Savannah wrote: ...

There was also one at 4:30 and outer street that was called something like "The Last Bar on the Playa" or similar. They waved me over when I was riding my bike to pick up my car from the place I was storing it far outside camp. They had a nice shade and served me a large cranberry juice on the rocks on Labor Day afternoon. I'd been packing for much of the day, it was very hot and I couldn't drink even a shot of alcohol 'cause I was fetching the car, but that cranberry juice was delicious and they even had a cup for me (I hadn't imagined I would stop at a bar on Labor Day, so I only had a canteen with me). Thanks, Guys!

On our way out on Labor Day around noon, we saw that same bar and stopped in front (sorry to the couple cars we held up for a second :( ) and ran over to offer them a bottle of Patron and an unopened bottle of Cranberry Juice. They assured us that they would make good use of it before the days end. Seemed like a great lot of burners! Wish we had stumbled upon them earlier in the week!
I'm fucked. I've caught the dusty virus ... and I want to spread it around.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:37 pm

VultureChow wrote:...

I am partial to the Party Naked Tiki punch as it reminds me of my childhood sneaking drinks in the USVI.
And that punch really packs a punch!

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Location Location Location
LastBar12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Voltaire, Candide

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:01 pm

smilemore wrote:
Savannah wrote: ...

There was also one at 4:30 and outer street that was called something like "The Last Bar on the Playa" or similar. They waved me over when I was riding my bike to pick up my car from the place I was storing it far outside camp. They had a nice shade and served me a large cranberry juice on the rocks on Labor Day afternoon. I'd been packing for much of the day, it was very hot and I couldn't drink even a shot of alcohol 'cause I was fetching the car, but that cranberry juice was delicious and they even had a cup for me (I hadn't imagined I would stop at a bar on Labor Day, so I only had a canteen with me). Thanks, Guys!

On our way out on Labor Day around noon, we saw that same bar and stopped in front (sorry to the couple cars we held up for a second :( ) and ran over to offer them a bottle of Patron and an unopened bottle of Cranberry Juice. They assured us that they would make good use of it before the days end. Seemed like a great lot of burners! Wish we had stumbled upon them earlier in the week!
Ah! I believe I was there Monday afternoon when your vehicle stopped. I remember a beautiful woman (The Lady Smilemore?) stopping with a bottle of Patron. :D
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:27 pm

BAMBOOZLED.

hands down, best bar on the playa.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Location Location Location
LastBar12.jpg
oh, I saw this crew..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Wigwam wrote:Dementia was very nice. Mist in the afternoon with mojitos and killer DJs.
Dementha, I think .. playing on that mint theme!

But yeah, they're awesome!

I got my first ever mojito ever from them last year.

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:58 pm

I can tell you who has the best Bloody Mar's, but they're open WAYYY TOO EARLY! Molotov has the best beer, hands down! They were at 3 and F by the Kulture Haus.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:49 am

ygmir wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:Location Location Location
LastBar12.jpg
oh, I saw this crew..........
Hmmmmm.......were you looking out, or looking in? 'Cause I saw a crew seeing us.
- Voltaire, Candide

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Just imagine Ygmir's head on top of that black uniform.

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Lonesomebri - wish you had been at point 3 at the same time I was at point 3! Coulda used an ice cold beverage of any variety way out there.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

exixx

Post by exixx » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Hardly, at 430 and A. Mainly since they let me and my son bartend Tuesday night, during which we both drank enough to need nearly all day Wednesday to recover. :oops:
I drive 2800 miles one way to burn. First burn at 50. I'll never stop coming if I can help it.

smilemore

Post by smilemore » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Savannah wrote:
Ah! I believe I was there Monday afternoon when your vehicle stopped. I remember a beautiful woman (The Lady Smilemore?) stopping with a bottle of Patron. :D
That's great! We stopped because it looked so inviting ... did she look something like this?
blue.jpg
If so, that is indeed Lady Smilemore! I wish we had taken the moment to park and have a visit! Next time ...

Even on our way out, she couldn't give up the outfits (a real highlight for her) ... she wore that one clear into Reno!!!

By the way, the panini she was given was the perfect exit meal for us both!

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm fucked. I've caught the dusty virus ... and I want to spread it around.

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Elliot wrote:.
Just imagine Ygmir's head on top of that black uniform.

Hmmmm.....I do remember shouting at some shady characters gathered outside the fence to go find their own party.......
- Voltaire, Candide

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:08 am

pug wrote:For coolness: 7 Deadly Gins - It was kinda the go to spot. I liked the age diversity, and how all KINDS of people danced on that bar - all ages, all genders. Not too loud, not too quiet. It was an "everybody has fun" kinda place.

For sheer gifting awesomeness with a crude camp that actually was a nice place to hang out: Home Brew 4A Home Brew. AWESOME gang there that just kept putting out the great beers and bar food. I had two growlers of good IPA I'd brought down from the Willamette Valley, and ended up just giving them the growlers as a gift. I wasn't touching them. Saw another example of return gifting when a marching band came by to play a few sets as a thank you.

For "holy crap out here?": Whatever that shack-like bar was serving Countrytime Lemonade & Vodka way out in the playa. Had a blast hanging out there for a while, and eventually hopped an art car. It wasn't about the drinks they had, it was the crazy fun of the location, the setting (dust storms), etc.
Thank you for your 2 growlers, we drank them Monday evening for our last night there. They were Great :D

fernley1
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:28 pm

I enjoyed hanging out at the Earth Guardian's bar.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm

smilemore wrote:
Savannah wrote:
That's great! We stopped because it looked so inviting ... did she look something like this?
blue.jpg
If so, that is indeed Lady Smilemore! I wish we had taken the moment to park and have a visit! Next time ...

Even on our way out, she couldn't give up the outfits (a real highlight for her) ... she wore that one clear into Reno!!!

By the way, the panini she was given was the perfect exit meal for us both!

Cheers
Yep, that's her!

I remember complimenting her on that beautiful top. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

remi

Post by remi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Funky Town, during their funk jam on Saturday afternoon (or was it Friday?) They were serving the best bloody marys with a huge asparagus, pickle and chunk of bacon.. nice and spicy.. just fabulous.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

Various
Camp Name: Various Delights

Post by Various » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:57 pm

remi wrote:Funky Town, during their funk jam on Saturday afternoon (or was it Friday?) They were serving the best bloody marys with a huge asparagus, pickle and chunk of bacon.. nice and spicy.. just fabulous.
It was Friday, I think. You came back to camp frothing about how you "almost got a real Caesar."

Geekette70
Camp Name: Grogg Trolls

Post by Geekette70 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Served by some awesome Aussies at Celtic Chaos. The whole setup was amazing.

Steampunk Saloon: Had a really great time after the burn, I think they were at Esplanade at 5:30? The bartenders were amazing and the setup was intimate and great for people watching. Sorry I missed the homebrews they served earlier in the week.

Shady Lady Saloon: Met some awesome people later that night, Jeni and several others whose names I wish I could recall. Wish we'd found them earlier in the week, the people were very cool and not far from our camp. My husband enjoyed chatting with a fellow from France, Cedric.

Return to “Stories”