Getting your shit back together: progress reports

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Getting your shit back together: progress reports

Post by robbidobbs » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:47 am

We all know how difficult it is to return to Defaultia. The laundry, the sorting and re packing, and everything coated with dirt. But remember, this too is part of your Burningman experience. So tell us what you're doing right now to get your shit back together. I'll start.

Yesterday I unloaded my car and trailer. I rinced off my car (I'll wash it formally later). I then did some decompressing with my defaultia best friend and ate Chinese food.
Today I shoveled all my clothes into my car, and today's mission is to go to the laundromat with a broom. The owners got a bit tense last year from all the dirt on the floor, and handed me a broom. I'll be prepared this time. It's just the right thing to do.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Getting your shit back together: progress reports

Post by VultureChow » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:12 am

Tomorrow is my big unpacking/washing day. My parents are away and while I live in a one-bedroom apartment, they have a lovely house with a pool, deck, and lawn.

Gonna bring a 6 pack of beer, strip naked, dance in the dust raised off my tent, tarp and clothing as I unpack and wash/repack everything.

Today though, I saved my BM2014 Excel file as BM2015 and started removing things I don't want to bring back and adding things I do want to bring.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:27 am

Day 2: Truck and trailer sit unpacked in front of house.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

winterdream28
Burning Since: 2013

Post by winterdream28 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:34 am

I have to be honest... I have been pretty pathetic and not doing well this time around.
I have been eatting spoon fulls of peanut butter and crying most of the last 48 hours.
My return brought a lot of events/stresses I was not expecting.
A crazy bill from At&t, our rent renewal which went up $200, some issues with wedding items and a clogged tub... just to name a few.

Silly things really but having a rough time handling it all at once.
I have sadly been in a shut down and nurturing myself with peanut butter to ease the pain ;)

Today I hope to at least break down the clothes bins, and get the house back in order:)
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:38 am

I returned home Wednesday after driving straight through from Reno. I promptly laid down and took a nap. Then that evening I took out all the coolers and unpacked all the uneaten food. Yesterday I went on an interview and in the evening went to back to school night for my son's sophomore year in high school - eek. Today I slept in and ate a late breakfast. I plan on starting laundry and going through the clean clothes. This weekend I will put away the shade structure and wash the van. The bike needs a good spray of vinegar too.
In dust we trust.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Did the laundry today!

Everything else was done on Tuesday.

Repacked in the pod and ready to roll for next year.

Just need food and ice.

LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Got home Tues night. Only unpacked the perishables, everything else is in a neat pile in the livingroom. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. :lol:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Trailer unloaded into garage. Laundry going. Leftover beers (?!? yeah, I know) transferred to fridge. Passenger seat in truck cleared.
I am going to pick up my friend from work today and regale him with tales from the playa, and those left-over beers.
Clearing the back of the truck and the roof will have to wait.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:43 pm

I got home Tues night. Cooler and perishables unpacked, about half the laundry done. I should probably get a bit more done today. It's raining today. I'm half tempted to set the tent up in the rain and let it rinse the dust off.

Sunbeam56
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:51 pm

BM was enlivening, encouraging and ennabling. I am going to get back to work and the door wont hit me in the ass... Next week :)
Let GOOD win!

MFOB
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Hot Mayo

Post by MFOB » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:00 pm

My shit got pretty fucked on the way home. I only made it 60 miles. Im still not all home, most of my "stuff" is, but I had to leave a bunch behind.

Read my story here

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/burn ... /x/8567102
These angles are all fenced up!

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:58 pm

On Monday I knolled my campsite and photographed it before sticking it all in storage at my parents house in Las Vegas.
knolledCampsite.jpg
Today I transcribed the hand written manifest of things I stuck in the storage tubs as well. Now I know everything I have out in Vegas and exactly what I need (so far) for next year!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Not home yet. Ken and I are meandering and enjoying these last few alone with each other days.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:39 pm

I got home early Tuesday morning and went straight in and took a shower and went to bed. I left my truck still packed in the driveway till Wednesday night when I unloaded it into the garage and took the perishables into the house. Been at work the last couple days and to be honest, I'm having a hard time adjusting back to the default world rules and responsibilities. I got the weekend now to wash my truck and stow all my gear.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:42 pm

I got my gear unpacked tues Wednesday and began cleaning off dust in earnest Thursday.

Had a wedding to attend in Montana (which has camping) so I focused on stuff is be flying with. Left a solid amount of cleanup for next week.

Mostly I've been trying to use time since the burn sharing info about my experience online. I do plan to audit my packing list and try to publish a detailed "how to" of sorts for someone else doing a week of solo first time.

I also immediately set about replacing lost items that were otherwise things I use every day.

The past few days I also focused on reconnecting with my defaultia folks. I already feel like an evangelist but I'm trying to keep it in reasonable check. The hardest thing is knowing great people and feeling like they must also now be a part of this amazing thing. And knowing many will not attempt it.

I've gone over how things were with friends I met or knew who also went. And I've been daydreaming what could happen next year.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Pulled in the driveway a couple of hours ago. The score thus far: one broken toe, a terminal case of Toyota Tush, and a trailer that needs to be unloaded. We are calling it "TTITD", or That Thing In The Driveway. :)

Oh: and the universe gifted us a 100 year old tortoise just a mile from home. Sunbeam will explain later. Me? I'm going to bed after three weeks on the road and 5000 miles!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:29 pm

PUSSY!!! :P
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:13 am

I got back home Wednesday late afternoon. Took care of the perishables right away, took out the suitcase with my toiletries in it. Today I pulled some laundry out of the van, combined it with laundry from the suitcase and pondered going back into the van for the rest of it.

Hell, I haven't even taken the bikes off the rack yet. Glad to see I'm not the only procrastinator.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:25 am

As of yesterday, all is cleaned, packed and stored! Thought I was going to have to replace tent poles but with some careful use of super glue and gaffers tape the problem was solved. They are ready for another year on the Playa. Debating about adding another section to the Monkey Hut making it 15 feet instead of 10 but have a 11 months to make the decision :D
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Go for 15' it makes all the difference. The last 5' on mine is shade cloth so it's not such a cave.

kowtow
Camp Name: Camp D^5

Post by kowtow » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:54 pm

I have been back in Defaultlandia for about a week now and I must say it's been a real crappy transition so far. I've spent way too much time around the pool listening to the drama that occupies the default word.

The defaultians are tired of hearing about how this community in the desert has no expectations, generally all get along great and have little or no resentments. BRC is an amazing place and I can't wait for next year. I just need to figure out how to better adjust to defaultia when returning from "home" each year. This transition is something that I hadn't anticipated would be an issue, but for whatever reason this has become the most difficult part of this entire adventure.

Hope you all are doing well! Know that I miss you all and that I cant wait to see my entire family again next year. Love you all!!!

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:14 pm

One thing I just can't stomach right now is defaultia news. Gawd! Sickening. The only think I give a rats backside about is shit. I do need to pick a tote, empty it, repack it, go to bed!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Larry has our trailer mostly unpacked, with some of the heavy stuff still in the front, under the big tarp. He has rinsed the rugs and the chairs, but not the tents. We have all the camp gear for seven people to look after. Can;t wait for their day jobs to give them time off, so Larry does all the dirty work.

I've got the laundry and bedding done, and am working through all our camp curtains, have the food sorted out, and will tackle the art boxes as soon as I have all the clean clothes in my workroom put away. Took a day off for ComicCon and now am taking a day or two off because the pain in my feet is a little too intense. Larry is outside still putting stuff in nooks and crannies.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:29 pm

hardly anything. no energy, no incentive. Everywhere I look, I see a missing furry friend,and just sit back down.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Cleaned all my shoes, which was a bigger job than it sounds. Almost done with the laundry. Started unpacking the camping equipment stuff, tent and chairs are done, cots are done, dry foods and remaining alcohol still need to be unpacked.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:08 pm

((((((yggy)))))))
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:11 pm

My re-entry has been terrible. My drive home was 3 days, 3000 miles....alone. I have the Sub pretty much cleaned, but haven't even opened the camper yet. Depressed, all I do is sit around and watch BM vids and lurk on eplaya. Fuck this shit, it is such a letdown to leave the playa. No energy or drive. WTF?
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:16 pm

I am not sad about not being still at Burning Man. I am sad about being in my regular life. The contrast this year has opened my eyes more than it has in years past. I'm feeling reckless and ready to just blow the whole fucking shit pile apart. I hope I do something and don't return to complacency.

and I cleaned a lot of dust off stuff. Why does playa dust feel so yucky here, and I got to barely noticing it there?
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Elorrum wrote:I am not sad about not being still at Burning Man. I am sad about being in my regular life. The contrast this year has opened my eyes more than it has in years past. I'm feeling reckless and ready to just blow the whole fucking shit pile apart. I hope I do something and don't return to complacency.

and I cleaned a lot of dust off stuff. Why does playa dust feel so yucky here, and I got to barely noticing it there?
and, dear one, you know many of us here would support your decision for change, and help in any and every way.
I'd bet if you said you were moving to Reno, to find a job, you'd not need to rent until you were established.........I know it's true in Nevada County
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Got home about 3 hours ago. Gonna leave unpacking/washing for tomorrow.

Returning wasn't that hard. I've been on Playa nearly 3 weeks, and honestly it feels good to be home.
Praise the Lowered

Return to “Stories”