2014 increase in foreigners?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
gibson_

2014 increase in foreigners?

Post by gibson_ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:50 am

Did anybody notice a LOT more people come to Burning Man from other countries this year? Does anybody know why that could be? Burner Express maybe?

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Re: 2014 increase in foreigners?

Post by chuckularone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:55 am

There seemed to be dozens of Russian skydivers in the Burning Sky camp across the street from us. Not to mention all the Australian accents I heard all week.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:00 am

And many claiming to have arrived in the States, even as late as during the week of the event, without tickets...
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:14 pm

You do know that you're dealing with an extremely small sample size? What is true of the people you meet on playa, may not be true of all 70,000 people at the event.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Not to mention that distinct sounds, like accents, are more noticeable to your ear than the background chatter of voices you're accustomed to hearing.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:18 pm

I had an RV with 7 gorgeous Italian boys come through my lane at Greeters.

:twisted: All virgins :twisted:
Sic Semper Spectatores

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:36 pm

The big increase is in Ravers, people only interested in the Electronic Music and DJs and following festivals, and Bucket-Listers, people only interested in checking a box. I can see how this increases the amount of people willing to travel a great distance with little to bring and little understanding of the event.
For some reason there has been a huge appeal to these people, who otherwise might know very little about camping, LNT, the desert, creating art, contributing, burning Man, etc. I blame Media Mecca, though it is the fault of all the hype. Why does the event appeal to more people who are voyeurs, ravers and bucket-listers, is the issue for me, not nationality.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:12 pm

I rarely left our block so I'd have to say specifically that our block had a huge amount of awesome friendly foreigners.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Hoolie
Burning Since: 2000

Post by Hoolie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:26 pm

I read on the Burning Blog that an influx of overseas visitors was a contributing factor in the Will Call fiasco:
The contributing factors include the number of tickets that are sold electronically and require a check-in. Those include...the increasing number of tickets sold to international participants, who now are about 20 percent of the population (the organization does not ship tickets internationally).

http://blog.burningman.com/2014/08/buil ... t-so-wild/
So, yeah, it's not just your imagination. As to why, I think it has a lot to do with more global awareness about the event. Ten years ago, it seems like most Americans hadn't even heard of Burning Man. Now people from all over the world have learned of it, and are apparently making their way over to check it out for themselves.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:56 pm

20% of people being international doesn't seem like that much for an event that is so well known (hell there was a Malcolm in the Middle episode!) and that has regionals around the world. I'd be interested to hear how that number has risen over the years, has it been rising steadily or has there been a jump?

As for the idea that international burners are limited in what they can contribute I'd say that's a. probably an over exaggeration and b. that it's balanced by how often they can attend. There will always be those that come once, don't offer much and don't come back. Does it matter where they came from in the first place? Plenty of what is offered by regular participants could be pulled off by an international burner, maybe not a virgin but domestic virgins have the same problem. If anything having more of the bucket listers or ravers who come and don't quite "get it" being international would minimise the chances that they'd return because it's so expensive that you have to REALLY want to come a second year when you're a foreigner but for locals it's less of a big deal. I really think that those that want to come back will want to "do it better" the next year and will find ways to do just that. I could be biased though since that has been my personal experience.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 am

Yeah. I remember the Wires managed to really put on a show while flying in from Norway. Even when they weren't there, they managed to have some really cool stuff on display.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Post by jneilvindy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:53 am

I loved every single foreigner in the Flamingo FTW camp! The diversity, difference in outlook and enthusiasm for being there since most of them had to jump through hoops and hurdles just to get to the event was awesome to see and experience.

I miss them all terribly!

CaptainVic

Post by CaptainVic » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:25 pm

In my experience there have been significant numbers of internationals since I started attending in 2002. Back in 2006 we asked everyone that walked up to our bar where they were from, and we counted 20 countries in one evening. This year my highly objective random survey found burners from Australia, England, Ireland, India, Israel, Portugal, Brazil, Spain, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, France, even Canada. I stopped asking after the first day.

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:35 pm

One of our camp foreigners showed up on the Burner Express. They had gone to a hardware store in Reno and built a small pull cart on wheels to tow their gear to camp. This cart was used over the week by dozens of people to haul ice, gear, wood to the burn, etc. She brought outlandish home-made costumes and gifts for everyone. Volunteered in Center Cafe on Burn night. Stayed past Monday, and the last thing I saw of her, she was mooping a clean sight. Oh god, this is no foreigner, they belong in BRC. The true foreigner to me is the Raver/Bucket Lister/Plug and Play of any nation.
- Voltaire, Candide

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:42 pm

^whole lotta "yes"^
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:50 pm

I met someone from Siberia on playa a couple of years aga. Siberia!

Now just waiting on the North Korea contingent to arrive...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:07 pm

lucky420 wrote:I met someone from Siberia on playa a couple of years aga. Siberia!
Now just waiting on the North Korea contingent to arrive...
I heard that the Eternal President of the Democratic Republic of Korea Kim Jong-un was holed up behind the walls out on 9 and L and did alittle segway dance on burn night, for the community. I feel that only good things will now come his people's way, what with Kim's contact to so much LEDs and EDM.
- Voltaire, Candide

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Shit! I always miss the good stuff
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012