Bad Behaviour on the Playa

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Re: Bad Behaviour on the Playa

Post by Martiansky » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:07 pm

While sitting at a geocaching M&G on friday, several of us witnessed some asshat riding his bike up the road dragging a roadsign.
The WHOLE post and all. We did laugh when he didn't make it far because the post was acting like an anchor and he had to hop off the bike quickly in order to not wipe out.
Really, why take the roadsigns?
Last edited by Martiansky on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:09 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
FossaFerox wrote:I've heard that 25I can be great if you know what it is going in. The deaths are from people thinking it was LSD and taking a massive dose or from insufflation which is just dumb. It's a slightly rougher ride, to be sure, but from what I've heard chromesthesia is pretty fantastic.
It's your brain, so burn it as you will, but it's my hope you choose to keep this discussion a theoretical one as opposed to one rooted in personal experience. Particularly with your background, you should be looking at molecules and analogs and doing the math.
Joey did not look like he was having fun. "Furious irritation" seems closest to the mark.

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I treat the stuff I heard over the radios when Scott was in ESD as not to be broadcast in public--even ten years later or more, it turns out. It made me very cynical about burn attendees/participants very early on in my relationship to the event.
+1000 Yes! There is shit going down that you have no idea about. The best thing you can do is be a responsible citizen of BRC and help educate those who can be educated. There are plenty of folks who are just going to be shitty and you can't let that color your burn.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Martiansky wrote:While sitting at a geocaching M&G on friday, several of us witnessed some asshat riding his bike up the road dragging a roadsign.
The WHOLE post and all. We did laugh when he didn't make it far because the post was acting like an anchor and he had to hop off the bike quickly in order to not wipe out.
Really, why take the roadsigns?
Earlier in the week someone said the road signs would disappear, and indeed most non-numbered roads were taken. I believe a souvenirs. Is this typical? Seemed normal.

At one point a septo truck was backing up to service an RV kitty-corner to me and totally busted up the road sign. Someone immediately swept in and took up the name. I walked over to the RV owner and explained he either needed to have the septo truck take the sign parts and twisted metal pole, or it needed to be stowed under his rig and become his moop for the burn. He was cool about it and made the septo guy take all the wood pieces and metal.

yellfireinatheater
Burning Since: 2009

Post by yellfireinatheater » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:06 pm

I feel like I have to be honest here, I myself engaged in some rude behavior this year. Nothing too serious and I feel I was still respectful to the playa, temple and places I find sacred. I was not, however, over respectful to handfuls of sparkle ponies and darkwads. To clarify, I'm brutally honest in default, but at BRB I'm usually much nicer. However, this year (my 6th burn) I just couldn't bring myself to coddle shitty burners anymore. I don't know if I reached a breaking point of polietness or if it was just an angsty year for me, but honestly I feel much better. While some of my behavior may have seemed destructive or cruel, for me it was cathartic and honest. I actually noticed this escalated angst on a whole in BRC and very much so in my camp this year. We even joked that our new camp motto is "fuck your burn". While I agree with most of you that MOOPing and whatnot does not qualify as radical self expression, we need to remember that people learn and process at different rates. People are struggling with demons, they get a little too fucked up and they have different ways of expressing themselves than you do. Burning man is a radical place for radical people and you can't expect all those extreme personalities to always be in agreement.

andy

Post by andy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:23 pm

One problem is that the percentage of Burgins has been alarmingly high. Not that I am against growth, but it takes veterans to set the example, and when 40+% of the people are new, they see "non-burny" behavior and assume it's normal and OK. By contrast, when 90% of the people are "with the program" you catch on fast and become an example for next year.

On another note, and echoing another poster, I find appalling levels of damage to the porta-potties. Besides the fact that it makes the Burn worse for everyone, there's no way that we aren't being charged for the damage in some way, either through higher ticket prices or reduced services.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 pm

But 40% is about typical, I understand.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:26 pm

@El Capitan - it could also be that, being your second burn, you were more aware of bad behavior - all those things happened last year too.

My own experience was pretty good - in fact, personally it was a fuckton better than last year, when we had people urinating on the lampposts out in front of our camp and even some random person coming in and taking a dump under the side of our rental truck one night, as well as a lot of our art get damaged, destroyed, and even stolen. We only had two bad experiences this year - on Tuesday morning we found some stranger had come into camp and passed out in a campmate's tent. It took a while to rouse him, at first he refused to get up and we thought rangers may need to be called but eventually he figured out it wasn't even remotely his camp... and then on Sunday night long after the temple burn some drunk guy came stumbling through our camp's private space, and being blind drunk he of course tripped over a stack of bins and crashed down on one of our worklights.

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:07 pm

We had a guy pass out on our art car before Temple Burn, and continue to sleep on the upstairs futon throughout the night.

I didn't even know he was up there until I went up and was dancing around on the thing while it was parked. When I freaked out a little bit at the OBVIOUS CORPSE ON THE COUCH, my camp mates assured me "He has a pulse..."

Dude was out solid. At some point in the night he got up, went into our commissary tent and left a nice trail of fucking Chex Mix back up onto the second floor futon where he fell asleep again.

At some point in the night he soiled the futon mattress...badly. When he woke up during the breakdown of the art car the next day he announced "I'd like to help, but I have to go to the bathroom first" and then proceeded to walk over and try to pee on our commissary tent.

Yelling ensued, and he's pretty luck that the folks at the Gate asked me to leave my drum of tar, and giant bag of feathers with them.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:50 pm

lucky420 wrote:
tamarakay wrote:Ken was alone in our public space when this crazy lady rides her bike into the monkey hut and starts berating him for the name of our camp. She was deeply offended on behalf of marines everywhere. Lucky420 and I came running. I asked nicely if she noticed it was dye, as in dye fabric. She started yelling again about how our name was an offense to marines everywhere and how dare we. I laughed and said I had marines in my family and she was a asshat. She kept yelling and lucky convinced her to leave. As she was driving off I was yelling something about asshats and looking up what semper fi actually means.

She headed off towards Barbie death camp. I wanted to follow her to see what she thought about that, but we were laughing pretty hard at that point.
Yeah wtf! She wanted to come in and scream at us without letting us explain much or really get to know us. At least have the balls to stick around for discourse. I told her to "FUCK OFF AND DYE
Um, maybe this is obvious to locals but what does "Dye/Die with Dignity" have to do with the marines? If anything (other that dying silk scarves) I'd think maybe you guys have some opinions on euthanasia but I'm really not seeing a connection to the marines? Or was this woman just bonkers?

Some of these stories are as mind boggling as they are saddening. How do people justify this stuff in their heads? The dude who climbed the aerialist rig in particular, how can you look someone in the eye and not feel any remorse for damaging their property with your idiocy? I really hope his friends/campmates saw the light and gave him shit for it themselves.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm not sure but I think "Die with Dignity" pertains to a service person who died in the line of fire.

Lady needs to lighten up or wear blinders
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Everything in the "Die with Dignity" google search pertains to assisted suicide. Curious.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:16 pm

i did some bad behaviour this year but it was in private.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:24 pm

chuckularone wrote:Everything in the "Die with Dignity" google search pertains to assisted suicide. Curious.
It's not associated with the Marines but with the 442nd Army during WWII. Google: "Live with honor, die with dignity".

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:38 pm

So, if she comes back next year, you can yell back about how she's not respecting the army.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Kill her with kindness, and she can dye with dignity. :mrgreen:

Or you can just cold-cock the snippy little bitch and drag her ass out behind the DPW ghetto. (Oh wait: Was that out loud? My bad...)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:06 pm

One of our virgin campers got dosed with something, maybe roofies? Luckily he had the clarity to find a ranger when he started feeling weird, who took him to Rampart. Since they didn't know what he had taken, and he didn't want a trip to Reno, the rangers brought him back to camp. He was out cold in a chair for 5 hours, and doesn't remember anything once he got dropped off.

So dudes should watch your drinks too. Has no idea how it was slipped to him.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:14 pm

tatonka
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:45 pm

pink wrote:One of our virgin campers got dosed with something, maybe roofies? Luckily he had the clarity to find a ranger when he started feeling weird, who took him to Rampart. Since they didn't know what he had taken, and he didn't want a trip to Reno, the rangers brought him back to camp. He was out cold in a chair for 5 hours, and doesn't remember anything once he got dropped off.

So dudes should watch your drinks too. Has no idea how it was slipped to him.

[media]
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

otakup0pe

Post by otakup0pe » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:06 am

I may have sent some kid wandering the streets pleading for "acid or molly, anything please" to BLM camp on esplanade.

Look for the red and blue blinky lights you'll find it eventually!

MoBo
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Somewhere

Post by MoBo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:24 pm

otakup0pe wrote:I may have sent some kid wandering the streets pleading for "acid or molly, anything please" to BLM camp on esplanade.
Unless by "kid" you mean under 21, you may have just instructed him to RETURN to his BLM camp on esplanade...
This signature left intentionally blank.

otakup0pe

Post by otakup0pe » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:34 pm

offarock wrote:
otakup0pe wrote:I may have sent some kid wandering the streets pleading for "acid or molly, anything please" to BLM camp on esplanade.
Unless by "kid" you mean under 21, you may have just instructed him to RETURN to his BLM camp on esplanade...
Under 21 or not they were wearing far too many clothes to be a undercover cop.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:25 pm

otakup0pe wrote:Under 21 or not they were wearing far too many clothes to be a undercover cop.
And this is how people get busted by undercover cops - "but they didn't look like an undercover!"
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

otakup0pe

Post by otakup0pe » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Eric wrote:
And this is how people get busted by undercover cops - "but they didn't look like an undercover!"
Yeah and they can't lie if you ask if they are a cop.

this is what people actually believe

But for real... A big "fuck you" to the assholes apparently dosing people without consent this year. Have heard a few different tales wind back to that conclusion from this year.

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I love how people believe that they have to tell you they are a cop if you ask them. The law is allowed to lie to you, but if you lie to them, it's obstruction of justice or interfering with an investigation.

Just ask Martha Stewart
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:21 pm

otakup0pe wrote:Yeah and they can't lie if you ask if they are a cop.

Trust me, I know. It was part of my rant this year.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:13 am

otakup0pe wrote:
Eric wrote:
Yeah and they can't lie if you ask if they are a cop.

One of my favorite moments this year was asking a BLM ranger, "ARE YOU A COP?! YOU GOTTA SAY IF YOU'RE A COP!!!"

MoBo
Camp Name: Somewhere

Post by MoBo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:26 am

Nipple wrote:One of my favorite moments this year was asking a BLM ranger, "ARE YOU A COP?! YOU GOTTA SAY IF YOU'RE A COP!!!"
You asked a uniformed firearm carrying BLM Ranger, I assume?

What was his/her response?
This signature left intentionally blank.

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Well, it was one of his favorite parts so clearly it went well.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 pm

BLM as in Bureau of Land Management Rangers do carry firearms.

It's the BRC as in Black Rock City volunteer Rangers that do not.
FossaFerox wrote:Rangers don't carry firearms? o_O
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Stories”