Bad Behaviour on the Playa

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Bad Behaviour on the Playa

Post by Nipple » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:53 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Well, it was one of his favorite parts so clearly it went well.
I'll find out at the arraignment.

He laughed and we had a good chat about the BLM and what it's like to work for them. Wishes he could come as a participant.

Another friend of mine made these giant foam mallets. "Asshammers" his fun game was to get LE to allow him to him them on the ass with it. It's tit for tat... he allowed them to hit him as well. I was pretty surprised he got any takers. One group of 4 LE, all but one of them allowed him to hit them.

I'm happy mostly not talking to the police out there... hitting them with giant foam hammers... that seems ballsy to me.

MoBo
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Somewhere

Post by MoBo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Nipple wrote:He laughed and we had a good chat about the BLM and what it's like to work for them. Wishes he could come as participant
Was this a smaller male BLM ranger who likes to work outside the city? Wish I could remember his name. Not that I would post it, but I might say "rhymes with..."

If so he is one of the best BLM folks out there. Really gets it.
This signature left intentionally blank.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:44 am

Horrible neighbors this year. They would play shitty bass music at all hours of the night and day. It would rattle the inside of our RVs, which were parked adjacent to their camp. Of course, we never saw anyone chilling or dancing at their camp, it seemed like mostly personal entertainment for the one or two DJs camping with them.

We, and our extended village mates, pleaded repeatedly for them to turn down the bass. They would respond something to the effect of, "shut up, this Burning Man. If you think this is bad, it's only going to get worse throughout the week." One of our village mates gifted them a bottle of whiskey. The Rangers came in one morning and turned off their generator when they were being ridiculous, but of course they turned the music back on in short order. Finally, all of my camp mates went over there at three in the morning and it almost got physical. It ended up with two small chicks trying to push my buddy and start a fight, when all we wanted them to do was turn off the fucking music. Ridiculous. Then of course we caught them pissing on our RVs periodically throughout the week.

The terrible bass music never stopped, all week. We left, mostly on Sunday night after the temple burn.

On Monday, our village mates caught our neighbors pissing on one of their yurts and a fight broke out. Soon afterward, our neighbors walked through our village brandishing a gun. That's when BLM was called in.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Bless wrote:Horrible neighbors this year. They would play shitty bass music at all hours of the night and day. It would rattle the inside of our RVs, which were parked adjacent to their camp. Of course, we never saw anyone chilling or dancing at their camp, it seemed like mostly personal entertainment for the one or two DJs camping with them.

We, and our extended village mates, pleaded repeatedly for them to turn down the bass. They would respond something to the effect of, "shut up, this Burning Man. If you think this is bad, it's only going to get worse throughout the week." One of our village mates gifted them a bottle of whiskey. The Rangers came in one morning and turned off their generator when they were being ridiculous, but of course they turned the music back on in short order. Finally, all of my camp mates went over there at three in the morning and it almost got physical. It ended up with two small chicks trying to push my buddy and start a fight, when all we wanted them to do was turn off the fucking music. Ridiculous. Then of course we caught them pissing on our RVs periodically throughout the week.

The terrible bass music never stopped, all week. We left, mostly on Sunday night after the temple burn.

On Monday, our village mates caught our neighbors pissing on one of their yurts and a fight broke out. Soon afterward, our neighbors walked through our village brandishing a gun. That's when BLM was called in.
Goddamn Bless, they were just assholes from start to finish. I'm sorry your camp was subjected to such selfish, anti-community behavior. I hope the BLM nailed them for packing.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Holy shit, Bless. That's awful. I'm so sorry you and your camp had to deal with that.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Roy333
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Roy333 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 am

OK, time for my input.
First, I have found that most of the bad behavior at Burning Man this year is here on this board.
Too many places in this board I read complaints of virgins. Well sorry it offends you, I was a virgin this year. They wouldn’t let me count reading First Timers Guide and declare myself a veteran, nor was I allowed to get experience at Burning Man before I came. I even rolled in the dirt. I have read about Burning Man for many years and finally got my chance to come.
I didn’t experience the Techies, or whatever they are called. Although I did notice a change in the atmosphere not for the better, about Friday or so with the strangers I came across.
I hear complaints about RVs. I am 70 years old, have a nice1 ½ year old motorhome and took it to Burning Man. I couldn’t have had an enjoyable time at all in a tent. I don’t need people to tell me how stupid I am for bringing my motor home there. I knew what I was getting into and it wasn’t nearly as bad on the MH as everyone said. BTW my wife and I have cleaned it back to as good as new.
I hear all about radical inclusion, yet read complaints of all the people that “shouldn’t” be allowed to come to Burning Man.
Fortunately I didn’t have to camp with most of the complainers here. I was in a great camp that welcomed everyone. One of my goals at Burning Man was to “test” the veteran burners. Like I say I am 70, I wanted to see how accepting everyone was of me. Short story, you all passed. I was treated like I had been coming all my life. I was accepted and gladly did my share. I may have even gotten nude a time or two and heard no rude or otherwise remarks about that at all. No one cared. People hung out with me whether they were in their 20s or older than me. I did experience the radical inclusion.
It was a great experience for me and I plan on coming back.
My worst time at Burning Man: I was waiting for the siege machine art thingie to burn, I was holding my bicycle and was asked to move it back a bit so others could get closer. I laid it behind me about 10 feet away, glancing back every now and then. This was the only time I didn’t lock it.
Went to get on the bike and it was gone. They did take off the basket and leave it. In the basket was my water, and you guessed it, my bike lock. Some people said the left it to show it wasn’t personal, that they needed my bike more than I did. I say it was rubbing it in because a thief is a thief. Yes I was told to lock it every time I got off. But really, I never thought anyone would steal it when I was right there. So I am not taking blame for someone stealing my bike. Evil is evil.

But over all I had a great time. Even if you are over inundated with virgins, ( there were 5 in our camp besides me, that I know of) most of us jumped right into the Burning Man lifestyle and became real Burners. So cool it.
Aside from bike thieves most everyone I ran into were great (including a couple of times that I literally ran into, or was run into on my bike.)

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 am

Hey Roy333'

Eplaya is not the playa. Give us a break we need some place to bitch.

Maybe I've missed posts but most of us here welcome the virgin. It's the dumbass questions that can EASILY be answered by reading the survival guide first.

Glad you had a great virgin burn.
Sorry your bike was stolen.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:58 am

lucky420 wrote:Hey Roy333'

Eplaya is not the playa. Give us a break we need some place to bitch.

Maybe I've missed posts but most of us here welcome the virgin. It's the dumbass questions that can EASILY be answered by reading the survival guide first.

Glad you had a great virgin burn.
Sorry your bike was stolen.
Was your bike locked?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 am

No no, Lucky, Roy has a point. Us chewing out people for asking questions that are answered in sticky posts (in the section of the forum they're posting in, no less) is WAY worse than someone pulling a gun on Bless. Worst behavior by far. We're basically war criminals.

Also, I definitely didn't help run a camp that was over 40% virgins. :roll:
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Ape-Real
Burning Since: 2002

Post by Ape-Real » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:23 am

Sweet jesus, nobody's calling anyone here "war criminals" :roll:

just assholes. :lol:

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Ape-Real wrote:Sweet jesus, nobody's calling anyone here "war criminals" :roll:

Well, Yeah.

What's new?

But some of the best assholes I've ever met. :wink:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011

Post by tamarakay » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:07 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Ape-Real wrote:Sweet jesus, nobody's calling anyone here "war criminals" :roll:

Well, Yeah.

What's new?

But some of the best assholes I've ever met. :wink:
Why thank you flying monkey. You are a pretty great asshole too. 8)
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

fresh
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Post by fresh » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Bless wrote:Horrible neighbors this year. They would play shitty bass music at all hours of the night and day. It would rattle the inside of our RVs, which were parked adjacent to their camp. Of course, we never saw anyone chilling or dancing at their camp, it seemed like mostly personal entertainment for the one or two DJs camping with them.

Yikes!!! What time did this happen and where were you camped?? Was wondering why a BLM ranger was speeding at about 50mph across the open playa going towards the 3:00 side. This was in the afternoon on Monday.
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot

fresh

Post by fresh » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:22 pm

oops +1 post by default!!!

My vote goes to the fucker who took a piss right in between my van and monkey hut, the main path in and out of my living area!!!
Last edited by fresh on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.

fresh

Post by fresh » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:24 pm

andy wrote:One problem is that the percentage of Burgins has been alarmingly high. Not that I am against growth, but it takes veterans to set the example, and when 40+% of the people are new, they see "non-burny" behavior and assume it's normal and OK. By contrast, when 90% of the people are "with the program" you catch on fast and become an example for next year.

On another note, and echoing another poster, I find appalling levels of damage to the porta-potties. Besides the fact that it makes the Burn worse for everyone, there's no way that we aren't being charged for the damage in some way, either through higher ticket prices or reduced services.
About the same amount of virgins this year as last, 40% up from 36% in 2012. That is what the census says, cannot count on the validity... http://blackrockcitycensus.wordpress.com/

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Roy333 wrote:They wouldn’t let me count reading First Timers Guide and declare myself a veteran, nor was I allowed to get experience at Burning Man before I came.
Reading a book about the military doesn't make you a veteran either, and I'm not exactly sure how you would "experience" something before you physically experienced it.

The general idea is that you have to actually attend Burning Man before you can say you're a veteran (just like you actually have to serve in the military to call yourself one), and, even though I've been going since 2003 I don't use the term for myself. I'm a Burner, but I still haven't experienced everything the playa has to throw at me, so I'm not a veteran in the way others I know are. You've been to it now yourself, you are indeed a Burner.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Roy333 wrote:
They wouldn’t let me count reading First Timers Guide and declare myself a veteran, nor was I allowed to get experience at Burning Man before I came.

Who the fuck is "They"
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Ive gone 2 years and it will be many more before I could call myself a vet of BM . Their is so much I have not yet done , or even thought of doing there.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:15 am

The more I go to Burning Man, the more I realize that I don't know anything about Burning Man. Just finished my fourth year, and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to be a newbie until the event dies...

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:08 pm

The virgin stuff reminds me of this dude that came into the OC Souk all bent out of shape at "virgins and second year" people. That was his answer to how it was going: "if it wasn't for all the virgins and second year noobs". My response: "Orly".

Dude went on to be even more of a douche.

He wanted directions to the San Diego Souk, and he was bitter that we didn't immediately know where it was. I actually worked on trying to figure it out for him, and he was just bitter and not grateful in the least that I was going out of my way to figure out what he could have easily handled himself. When finally I pointed him to the info booth for the overall Souk project, he was still acting upset like everything was just inadequate.

He called himself a 14 year veteran. If that's what a veteran is like, I do not want to ever be one.

Bless

Post by Bless » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:49 pm

fresh wrote:Yikes!!! What time did this happen and where were you camped?? Was wondering why a BLM ranger was speeding at about 50mph across the open playa going towards the 3:00 side. This was in the afternoon on Monday.
I don't know what time on Monday this happened, but we were camped around 2:30 and C.

Bless

Post by Bless » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:06 am

What happened at Gypsy Flower Power International?

http://blog.burningman.com/2014/09/envi ... ever-seen/

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:22 am

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Holy shit. Has any camp been singled out for shaming like this in the past? Though I'm inclined to say they deserve it. Major resto work is going to go into hauling out the top layer of playa from pretty much their entire camp site...

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Not in recent memory. Though if one were a cynical bastard, one might think they were offering up a sacrificial camp as a distraction from something else.
Sic Semper Spectatores

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:25 pm

I wondered the same thing ... but "shots fired"!

I love the map with camp names included.

Center Camp was quite the shit show, as well.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:29 pm

The only bad behaviour on the playa was the presence of Gray Coyote
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Joeln » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:36 pm

VultureChow wrote:Not in recent memory. Though if one were a cynical bastard, one might think they were offering up a sacrificial camp as a distraction from something else.
I guess I'm a cynical bastard.
Damn shame if the posters on there are truthing...
Collapse first and avoid the rush

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Yeah, the comments on that post are scathing. If true, the guy should be arrested and banned from the event.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:15 pm

VultureChow wrote:Not in recent memory. Though if one were a cynical bastard, one might think they were offering up a sacrificial camp as a distraction from something else.
I think you jumped the shark on that one.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Stories”