Did you hear the Dancetronauts promoting themselves

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
louisacrystal
Burning Since: 2000

Did you hear the Dancetronauts promoting themselves

Post by louisacrystal » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:47 pm

The Dancetronauts art car promoted their album throughout the whole Man Burn! It really put a damper on the Man Burn. To listen to someone saying buy my album in two weeks! And every 5 minutes saying your listening to DJ (Full of himself) live from BRC! Like we should be so grateful to be in his DJ holy presence!
We go to BRC to get away from people trying to shove sales down our throats! they have all year to advertise. I would really appreciate if the BMO would at minimum remind the Dancetronauts that commercial promotion of themselves is against what Burning Man is! If they want to GIFT music to the playa that's wonderful! But when you expect to gain record sales from it, it's no longer a gift at all! If Mr DJ is so amazing anyways then people will look him up after the Burn! I don't care for them but I know that allot of the 20 year old kids like them! I just don't want they younger virgin crowd to think it's acceptable to sell at Burning Man. Burning Man can however be a good platform if used wisely. But the way the Dancetronauts did it was tacky!
I have gone out to find myself. If I get back before I return, Please keep me here until I get back. Thank you!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Did you hear the Dancetronauts promoting themselves

Post by Savannah » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Leave your feedback here!
http://www.burningman.com/participate/f ... _2014.html

I agree--that sounds (at minimum) tacky as hell, and like something the Org might conceivably want to know about.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:53 pm

This has been dissected in detail in another thread. When I remember which one, I'll link. There was a really weak apology (on facebook), which was part saying it only happened five times and that we were too sensitive anyway.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:57 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

strange love
Burning Since: 2011

Post by strange love » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:08 pm

It wasn't only at the man burn, he was promoting his album at opulent temple on Wednesday. What a dbag.

louisacrystal

Post by louisacrystal » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:This has been dissected in detail in another thread.
Thanks for sharing! I'm glad that others are noticing how these douches are fucking with others Burns!
I did submit how I felt in the 2014 feedback. And am planning to email DMV to.
I have gone out to find myself. If I get back before I return, Please keep me here until I get back. Thank you!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:00 am

louisacrystal wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:This has been dissected in detail in another thread.
Thanks for sharing! I'm glad that others are noticing how these douches are fucking with others Burns!
I did submit how I felt in the 2014 feedback. And am planning to email DMV to.
Fantastic! It can be really easy to vent on a message board (which may or not be seen by someone in power) but actually doing something about it and telling the right people has some power to it. I'm glad you've made yourself heard.

I would write in myself if I'd seen it (or heard it) with my own eyes and ears, because it seems like an abuse of the event.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:04 pm

I didn't encounter the Dancetronauts on playa - must have been far enough from them at the Man burn and Alien Siege Machine that the sound didn't bother me - but I have to say that was the most bullshit "apology" I've ever seen on Facebook. They could learn something from White Ocean.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:18 pm

Wow, now, thanks to Dancetronauts and eplaya, I've realized that I have experienced suppressed memory due to abuse. I had totally forgotten about this, but with all this rehashing, I now remember on one of the Burns (Alien? Man? When do Burn memories blend into each other?) hearing what sounded to me like a radio DJ talking instead of playing music. That pompous excited self-centered drivel that absolutely no one wants to hear. Annoying enough on the radio, but it was so surreal and unbelievable to my sun baked/alcohol cooled mind, that it didn't even register as real. I vaguely remember the guy jerk then passing the mic off, me thinking he was going to play music, but instead, then having some woman jerk babble on. I believe this comes from too many people giving DJs bogus confirmation that DJs are somehow a gift to the community. Thanks all you enablesrs, include your name in the complaint. I was distracted by explosions and fire, and pushed that memory of the DJ ear molesters deep down in a hole. Now that my memory is returning, I can recall that these people touched me out on the playa, and not in a good place.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Have you ever encountered a person that is rolling so hard that they are convinced what they are telling you is essential, important or somehow or another very relevant ... that was Dancetronauts DJ guy, for sure.

Slow your goddman roll, bro. Not everyone is on that shit, lol.

calsutmoran
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Fractal Fuckup

Post by calsutmoran » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Would you people quit your bitchin? It's goddamn Burning Man. Complaining to the DMV? What is this, fucking Virginia Beach? The last time I heard this kind of whaah was when someone played Freebird during a temple burn. "Whoever did that should lose their Burning Man tickets for life", bellows some blowhard. It was DPW that played the song. The guys and gals that slave in the desert for months so everyone else can come and party for a week. And now other people are going to tell them how, when, and where to burn.

Yeah, that dj was being a douchebag, but so is putting up sacred cows and demanding everyone else tiptoe around them. We come here to escape institutions and conventions, and some people try to build them wherever they don't exist. Knock it off. Have you forgotten immediacy?

I definitely agree that it sucks that they were drowning out Fire Conclave's performance or any other performance, and annoyingly self promoting. How do you handle that? How can we preserve our culture in the face of anyone else fucking up our ten principles. What do you do if you see someone mooping or wearing boring clothes? What do you do when your friends' art car is heading for the trash fence with a bunch of people but only a few tiny water bottles? It's a tough question, but the solution definitely isn't to complain to the org. They're busy keeping relationships open with governments and neighbors. They're busy with the shitters and what to do if mother nature decides to get interesting. You shouldn't need them to help with a douchey dj any more than a sparkle pony leaving a mess in your camp's kitchen. Next time you see someone fucking up the burn for a bunch of people, make em stop. Or maybe build a barkinator and follow them around next time.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:04 pm

As you say, its Burning Man. You deal with it your way, and we are afforded the same courtesy.

BTW: welcome to eplaya, DB. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:12 pm

calsutmoran wrote:
Yeah, that dj was being a douchebag, but so is putting up sacred cows and demanding everyone else tiptoe around them. We come here to escape institutions and conventions, and some people try to build them wherever they don't exist. Knock it off. Have you forgotten immediacy?
immediacy, exactly ... telling me when his songs are gonna drop on iTunes didn't really keep me there.

it was homeboy that needs to be schooled in immediacy.
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.
his self absorbed rants and disconnect for the implications of that trait on those around him showed he didn't get it

but, i did my best to ignore him

the principles are essentially institutions and conventions, so there is that as well

immediacy becomes ignoring douchebags. sure, that is part of it. but people did protest in the moment and aren't necessarily willing to let it drop so easy. communal effort and participation to ensure civic responsibility is part of what this is all about.

actually. i could frame what he did as against any and all of the principles it seems. that may say more about the principles themselves but just saying.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:26 pm

forty_eight wrote:actually. i could frame what he did as against any and all of the principles it seems. that may say more about the principles themselves but just saying.
dingdingdingdinddingdingdingdingidng. We have a winner!
The Lady with a Lamprey

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:11 pm

calsutmoran wrote: It's a tough question, but the solution definitely isn't to complain to the org. They're busy keeping relationships open with governments and neighbors. They're busy with the shitters and what to do if mother nature decides to get interesting.

It's a big machine, it can juggle all sorts of balls. You don't even have to pick on Danstronauts, or suggest dracconian punitive measures- it could be as simple as suggesting perhaps a larger perimeter at the big burn for large MVs with big sound. Or whatever.

Everybody should feel ok about submitting feedback. that's why there is a giant banner at the top of every page on the website: http://www.burningman.com/participate/f ... _2014.html

(and while you are at it, fill out the census!) https://jfe.qualtrics.com/form/SV_9NPJdS1GU8OcNUx

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:43 am

calsutmoran wrote: It's a tough question, but the solution definitely isn't to complain to the org. They're busy keeping relationships open with governments and neighbors. They're busy with the shitters and what to do if mother nature decides to get interesting.
This is totally incorrect.
As has been stated, the departments of the Org most definitely want feedback, not only on rogue art-cars, but on all aspects of the Burn, good & bad. Have a great experience with Rampart, or a theme camp - let the right department know. Have a lousy time because a turnkey camp blocked their "interactive" element from "outsiders", or because, say, an art-car blasted it's music over the Burn? Tell them that as well. The only way things improve is if they get feedback from participants.

This isn't high school, and giving feedback isn't "telling" on someone. It's one of the BRC versions of a town hall meeting, and it's pretty much a civic duty to keep our temporary home functioning (as is the census).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Return to “Stories”