DPW pulls a knife on a virgin?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Re: DPW pulls a knife on a virgin?

Postby Rice » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:06 pm

ANON1234 wrote:This is a long thread so I did not read it all.

I just did my first burn and everyone I met except for one was friendly.
Me and a few virgin friends went to the blackhole not knowing what the bar was.
As we went to enter a 20 somthing year old who said he worked at the gate told us to get lost and that we were not welcome.
He was very aggressive/drunk and insulted my Australian friends accent.
After talking to more experienced burners I heard many similar stories.

Having only burned once, I love burning man and the people I met with the exception of DPW staff.
From now on I will avoid DPW staff like racists cops... they both seem to feel that they are better than the group they are not a part of and abuse their authority.
I'm thankful for what DPW staff does.. but I wish they would give a shit about the 10 principles..

If someone who manages DPW staff reads this, I think it would be useful to spend sometime talking to the staff of the 10 principles.

The Black Hole is the GP&E (Gate Perimeter and Exodus) Bar - Not DPW
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Oh yeah right, the ghetto is DPW's place.
But same overall deal.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Yeah, you picked the wrong bar to wander into. So what? It doesn't matter it was DPW's or whomevers. Nobody in any bar or camp, say maybe the coffee bar in Center Camp (and maybe not even that), has any obligation to welcome anyone into their midsts, let alone serve them.

So move along hippie. There were probably over 9000 other bars you could've just wandered off to visit after your sensibilities were offended and gotten on with your burn. Deal with it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Chairman Meow
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: A Shack of Sit

Postby Chairman Meow » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:17 pm

ANON1234 wrote:This is a long thread so I did not read it all.

I just did my first burn and everyone I met except for one was friendly.
Me and a few virgin friends went to the blackhole not knowing what the bar was.
As we went to enter a 20 somthing year old who said he worked at the gate told us to get lost and that we were not welcome.
He was very aggressive/drunk and insulted my Australian friends accent.
After talking to more experienced burners I heard many similar stories.

Having only burned once, I love burning man and the people I met with the exception of DPW staff.
From now on I will avoid DPW staff like racists cops... they both seem to feel that they are better than the group they are not a part of and abuse their authority.
I'm thankful for what DPW staff does.. but I wish they would give a shit about the 10 principles..

If someone who manages DPW staff reads this, I think it would be useful to spend sometime talking to the staff of the 10 principles.

DPW works hard, as do gate/perimeter people, but unfortunately many of them do feel it entitles them to be jerks. DPW tends to be associated with the worst of the stories. I think they revel in being jerks. I'm sorry that happened to you, and I'm also sorry for the lack of understanding you're getting from other posters on this board. It is NOT right, it is NOT fair, but know that it's also not representative of the kind of people you meet on the playa. Over my 7 burns, I can count the number of even mildly negative interactions I've had on one hand. It's been an incredibly welcoming place in my experience, and generally leaves me trying to be a better person to my fellow humans when I return to the default world. But then I also minimize my interactions with DPW... I think you have the right idea looking at them the same way you look at racist cops. You can't change them, but fortunately you generally don't have to interact with them.

Admiral Fukkit

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 am

There's zero lack of understanding from other posters.
You and the OP lack understanding about how this works.
DPW isn't soft and sensitive. They're tough and they get shit done mostly as volunteers. They don't owe you shit.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:23 am

Those nasty DPW people working their ass off to build Black Rock City .. Just so we can come and play and destroy as much of their work as possible in a week.. Then their nasty asses spend a month cleaning up after Burners trash ..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 am

Yeah I agree the OP is making too much of this relatively minor interaction. That said, I avoid DPW like the plague. Most entitled bunch out there. Yeah yeah, you VOLUNTEERED to help build out BRC and it gets hot out there. So fucking what? Go tell it to a full-time roofer and see what that gets you.

Admiral Fukkit

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am

Well, the real real truth is if most of them HAD jobs they wouldn't be able to spend a month or three out there in the desert volunteering at a festival. But that's their business.
They do it and they don't have to welcome starry eyed virgin love puppies into their hangout.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Given this, the least you could have done was complain about gate road while you were there.

Chairman Meow

Postby Chairman Meow » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:There's zero lack of understanding from other posters.
You and the OP lack understanding about how this works.
DPW isn't soft and sensitive. They're tough and they get shit done mostly as volunteers. They don't owe you shit.

With all due respect, I understand very well "how this works." Hence I steer clear of those assholes. I just don't agree that volunteering entitles you to be an asshole. Unfortunately the OP probably didn't understand that there are people on the playa who revel in being assholes. It's not something that a newbie would be expected to know in a festival that prides itself on "radical inclusion." Nowhere in the survival guide does it tell you, "btw, steer clear of DPW, 'cause they're assholes." But I think the OP has understood those guys very well after his first interaction.

Admiral Fukkit

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 am

You don't know how things work.
Radical Self Reliance has become almost a rarity, I'd be curious to know if your friends actually showed up prepared literally as if no one else would be there. I do.
Right at the beginning of Larry's so-called Ten Principles it's stated that they aren't "rules". The DPW was there long before he wrote that junk. Hell so was I.
The whole event wasn't Larry Harvey's idea and he didn't create it. He was merely invited to burn his wooden man there at Cacophony Society's desert party.
Somewhere along the line, people got the idea this was some hippy love-fest.
DPW is famous for their Mad Max ways and catch phrase "fuck yer burn". They sometimes place their own "art piece" right on the inner playa that's nothing but a huge pile of junk that looks as shitty as possible just because they can.
Try this: next time go barging into First Camp any time you want. I mean, of course you'll be radically included anywhere, right?
Radical Inclusion does NOT mean there are no private areas in BRC. Most camps have a public area and a private area. You don't get to just make yourself at home anyplace in BRC.
That bar was somewhat private.

Try using "Freedom Of Speech" to tell a Judge to fuck himself in court.
That stupid Principle only meant your friend was welcome to be an attendee. Not that they can just go into anywhere they want.

Chairman Meow

Postby Chairman Meow » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:You don't know how things work.
Radical Self Reliance has become almost a rarity, I'd be curious to know if your friends actually showed up prepared literally as if no one else would be there. I do. ...

First of all, they're not my friends. I don't know the OP or his friends. I just happen to agree that it's a shitty thing that happened.

Secondly, I do arrive prepared as if no one will be there, even though our camp provides infrastructure. Well, actually that's not true. I arrive prepared as if there will be other people who did not prepare with adequate food, water, and bike tools. Because we can, because gifting, and because I guess I'm just not that jaded about the whole thing.

As a side note, a lot more camps provide infrastructure like food, water, and showers these days, which makes it easier to come unprepared. I'm kind of ambivalent about that, but it's not that much different than radical self reliance. I guess it's sort of a radical community reliance where you're pooling your resources and organizing things in advance so that your group doesn't wind up with tons of rebar but no bacon.

As for the rest, we'll just have to agree to disagree. If default world interpersonal dynamics become the norm at Burning Man, then that will be the time to stop going.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 am

Personally, I've not had any bad interactions with any DPW or Gate staff, though one year they pissed me off when they badly damaged a freezer by walking over it to "inspect" one of our trucks. Though that has seemed to be a one-off incident.

This year, I was amazed by how friendly gate actually was--even smiling!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 am

If you flip the DPW off and tell them fuck you .. You have made a friend of them .. A smile at gate, wins over a grumpy face .. It's YOUR attitude that makes the difference .. TTITD is not all about you ..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 am

I liked the gate guy I had. He was making jokes and being real nice. Gave him a couple beers before I left.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am

BBadger wrote:I liked the gate guy I had. He was making jokes and being real nice. Gave him a couple beers before I left.

I've had nothing but good interactions with the gate crew. I've had nothing but tiresome interactions with DPW. Not bad, just kind of tiresome in an eyerolling kind of way. "Hey, we can't wait until you leave!" What the?...oh right, it's DPW. Yes yes, fuck yer burn and all, whatevs. That kind of thing. They're like children, really, best seen and not heard. Run along now, little DPW person! Go be radically annoying to someone who cares!

The pile 'o junk art piece is pretty damn funny, though. I'll give them that.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: FLUNGERDROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

spacetime wrote:

Given this, the least you could have done was complain about gate road while you were there.

Hah!

Nowhere in the rules does it say DPW (or anyone) has to be nice to people. Radical inclusion also means you're included in the DPWs radar to be fucked with.

Burning Man is not a rave nor is it a hippy love fest. It's a post apocalyptic festival in a deadly environment.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:07 pm

It's a weird camping trip in the desert. If we weren't there DPW wouldn't be either...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Most folks keep a fragile truce with dpw.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:39 am

My experiences with DPW: two of the nicest kickass people I know work there. And there was one who pestered us multiple times daily a few years back and threatened to bulldoze an art structure into the burn pit if it wasn't done at the stroke of midnight on Sunday.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:55 am

Since everyone is an entitled snowflake today, I welcome DPW badassery. In the old days, if they got mad at you, they would use their heavy machinery to flip your car over, pile it on another or move it someplace inaccessible.

Also in the old days, when people brought people and oriented them, that's how you would find out not to mess with DPW. They are keepers of some core event values, though they have toned down the actions they take.

In the new days, the Internet brings people, who are not oriented, and things like DPW culture are not even in the online manual that no one f*cking reads...

Enough Internet virgins think it's a festival, that it has become one.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token

Postby Token » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 am

FWIW,

If you build big art, get there weeks before gate ...

DPW are some of the finest folks there iz.

It's a merit based culture based on building cred the right way - hard work.

Return to “Stories”