any undercover run-ins?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: any undercover run-ins?

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:44 pm

No under cover action on the playa for me this year..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 pm

unjonharley wrote:No under cover action on the playa for me this year..
This coming from the guy who was seen by our ENTIRE CAMP emerging from his tent with two members of the Swedish Bikini Team?

Unjohn, you amaze me. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm

In 2012, I spotted about five likely undercovers, but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I mean, normal people continually look all around, smell a little bit of weed smoke, throw up the horns during a vocal blues cover at Crossroads, turn the horns into a pointing finger, invariably followed by a camera flash.

Three undercovers directly worked on me...two seemed to think I was a little TOO chill on the camp couch, dropped drug slang like "my boss hooked me up with some molly" and one actually asked to see my eyes that were behind sunglasses (the other one snorted and quickly dragged her away). The third one was a kid who looked about 14, spent about 10 minutes in the pirate ship galley asking for a swig of Jameson. Said he was 24 and I said bullshit, show me an ID...didn't have one of course. Said he hurt his knee and the Jameson would help. I rolled up my pants leg and showed an ugly bruise that extended from above my kneecap down through my ankle (muscle tear from wiping out on a bike jump) and said I needed it more, where's his bruise. Eventually an older guy came out of the shadows and dragged him off.

In 2013, all my cop interactions were at a distance, guys standing watching larger groups of people. Some came up to our art structure and talked with us about it, lots of positive feedback.

In 2014, I only saw cops surrounding that art car involved in the unfortunate accident, and one driving past porta potties. A woman flagged them down to ask what the potential problems were since she had lost her driver's license somewhere. They just politely told her it was OK, if she got pulled over they would check her against a database, it would just take longer and she'd of course be told to get it replaced ASAP.

I feel like the BLM and county LEO are definitely improving. I didn't hear any stories about SWAT raids on camps, armed guys slicing the sides of tents open, etc like there were in 2012.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:41 pm

Did not notice any undercover officers while i was on the playa.
MeetnGreet2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:51 am

Definitely one of the first years where I didn't notice the cops, undercover or not, at all. Not on the way in, not during the event, not after. Actually I may have seen one speeding down the playa once... but other than that it was nice.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Partypants
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hobo Feart

Post by Partypants » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:18 am

About half of the BLM I saw driving past me this year were either going 10 -15 mph, wearing no seat belt or both. When politely reminded of these safety measures, most just laughed at me but a few buckled up. Id like to think I saved some lives.
I love the smell of bacon on the playa. It smells like.......victory.

omegared
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

Post by omegared » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:51 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Did not notice any undercover officers while i was on the playa.
MeetnGreet2.jpg
Jesus Lonesomebri, how many times did the cops descend on Camp Threat this year? I was only witness to one, but this doesn't look like that time.
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:42 pm

saw a few cops driving around in unmarked SUVs

kowtow
Camp Name: Camp D^5

Post by kowtow » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:17 pm

The only undercover action I spotted this year was the camera I found under cover in my underwear. I still have no idea how it remained there for over five hours un-noticed... Must have been a LEO plant! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Or at least sticking to the camera.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:27 pm

kowtow wrote:
The only undercover action I spotted this year was the camera I found under cover in my underwear. I still have no idea how it remained there for over five hours un-noticed... Must have been a LEO plant! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
pictures or it didn't happenthat way
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:32 pm

unjonharley wrote:
kowtow wrote:
pictures or it didn't happenthat way
Dear GOD! Unjohn! You want pictures of THAT!!?!?!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:02 pm

My only contact with a LEO this year was in Nebraska, on the drive home.

Don't think that once you get three states away that they're not looking for playa dust.

My contact, though, was a good one. He pulled me over and wrote me a 'warning citation' (no fine or court appearance) for a headlight that was out. The new twist I kind of like: Once it was replaced, I took the vehicle to a law-enforcement officer in my home town (could be anywhere to do it) and had the home town LEO sign off on the repair so I could mail it in as verification. No threats, just 'Can you help me fulfill the conditions of this warning citation? The Nebraska State Police are doing it this way now.' It took 30 seconds, and the hometown LEO felt like HE was being educated on a new procedure that might work here. I met an officer I didn't know, he learned something new, and we both came out better for the experience. Thanks, Nebraska State Police!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:12 pm

I saw many LEOs this year, as well as last year, combing through the crowds at Robot Heart after sunrise. Pretty much the only place I saw a heavy LEO presence.

This year, I noticed them checking people lying on the ground to make sure they were responsive. Some people took it better than others. One guy lying behind me was not pleased to have been woken up. All in all, I think it's good that LEOs check on folks like that.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:54 pm

omegared wrote:Jesus Lonesomebri, how many times did the cops descend on Camp Threat this year? I was only witness to one, but this doesn't look like that time.
We have an open door policy for Authorities and Religious Figures at Camp Threat. Yeah, you were not there, is what I told the cops, just like we had agreed on.....
- Voltaire, Candide

omegared
Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

Post by omegared » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 am

Lonesomebri wrote:
omegared wrote:Jesus Lonesomebri, how many times did the cops descend on Camp Threat this year? I was only witness to one, but this doesn't look like that time.
We have an open door policy for Authorities and Religious Figures at Camp Threat. Yeah, you were not there, is what I told the cops, just like we had agreed on.....
Good looking out bro!!!
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:37 am

If those $100 bills were found in the area of the airport, they might be mine.

A nude guy climbed into my car, found several packs of $100 bills that I had hidden under my floor mat and proceeded to spread the bills all over the front seat.

Dumb me; I had left my car unlocked and the keys in the ash tray. He found the keys, started the car and began racing the engine. My neighbor confronted him; he jumped the trash fence and climbed into an airplane. LEO was called and he was not so gently removed from the airplane and taken to wherever they take spaced-out naked folks.

When I returned to my camp, my neighbor and LEO told me what had happened. I counted the money and two $100 bills were missing.

This is a true story and you can keep the both the guy and the bills.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:28 am

But you're missing the opportunity to put an annoying post in lost and found!!! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

remi

Post by remi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 am

Some of my campmates thought we had a run in with an undercover, but you don't really know.

We just got back to our camp Friday after Polish Ambassador at Sacred Spaces, and we were all in our communal chill zone at our camp.. lots of comfortable chairs and such. There was about 15 of us. We all came in to sit down, and some person followed us in and sat down next to us. Nobody knew him, and he just sat there and pretended to pass out. We just chilled and talked and had a few drinks. After about 15 minutes of not talking about anything illegal, he just stood up and walked off.

Unless you were busted by an undercover, you'll never know if you had a run in with one. Hell, we could have all been in a conversation with an undercover at some point in the week.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Had a couple interactions with LEOs, none undercover to my knowledge.

There was one BLM guy who jumped out of his truck and stopped to give my wife and I hugs on his way towards Swing City. My hug seemed fairly straightforward. My wife mentioned that she had just been stuffing a plastic candy wrapper in her pocket when he got out of his truck, and when he hugged her, he sort of pressed up against that area - like noticing a lump during a hug could be probable cause for a search.

Whatever, she wasn't holding or anything anyway.

So, it was a nice hug except to the extent that we were somewhat suspicious of his overall intentions - because that would really suck if they used that kind of interaction that way. And, I'm sure they do, would do or have done. So, it was cool and a little weird at the same time.

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:If those $100 bills were found in the area of the airport, they might be mine.

A nude guy climbed into my car, found several packs of $100 bills that I had hidden under my floor mat and proceeded to spread the bills all over the front seat.

Dumb me; I had left my car unlocked and the keys in the ash tray. He found the keys, started the car and began racing the engine. My neighbor confronted him; he jumped the trash fence and climbed into an airplane. LEO was called and he was not so gently removed from the airplane and taken to wherever they take spaced-out naked folks.

When I returned to my camp, my neighbor and LEO told me what had happened. I counted the money and two $100 bills were missing.

This is a true story and you can keep the both the guy and the bills.
I think one of my camp mates may have had a run in with the same naked guy.

As he related to me, his pilot friend offered him a quick ride home on Temple Burn Sunday. As they were out on the runway, prop a-turnin' ready for takeoff. A spaced out naked guy walked up to the plane, freaking the occupants out pretty badly. With a prop going, that is a recipe for some pretty intense hippie moop. They yelled at him, and the guy started pointing at something written on his arm in sharpie. More yelling occured, they guy stepped back, and threw a chunk of playa at the plane. He started walking away from the runway as rangers of BLM and BRC types started arriving on the scene. My campmates took that as their queue to GTF-Airborne, and left.

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:18 pm

forty_eight wrote:...So, it was a nice hug except to the extent that we were somewhat suspicious of his overall intentions - because that would really suck if they used that kind of interaction that way. And, I'm sure they do, would do or have done. So, it was cool and a little weird at the same time.
Just my opinion on this, but I don't think the LEOs are working at the Burn to give out hugs. I could be wrong about this.
- Voltaire, Candide

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 pm

^ I tend to agree, lol.

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:28 pm

I had two occasions of undercovers walking up to camp and asking for rolling papers. So, if you were that guy, and you really did just need some rolling papers, I'm sorry I was so rude - 'cause I was really a bitch to him.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Nipple,

It was probably the same naked guy, because my naked guy wrote something with a fine tip sharpie on my drivers side arm rest.

I was not there at the time, but I was told that after my neighbor ran him away from my car that he crossed the trash fence, threw some clods of dirt at an aircraft, then he climbed into a Cessna 140 (that was not running) and it was from that aircraft that LEO's very unceremoniously pulled him out, chunked him in a LEO vehicle and then carted him off to wherever they take those folks.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

andy

Post by andy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Much better police presence on the playa this year - the truth is, if the cops are being cool and friendly, we really don't have an issue with them. My interactions with them, although limited, have to date been positive. I did notice what I think was an undercover team sitting in the café this year, 2 guys and 2 girls. It was the types of radios they were using, and the fact that a uniformed LEO came by and said something to them, that made me suspicious. That being said I didn't see the group doing anything other than sitting around.

On a funnier note, my wife and I used HAM radios on the playa this year to communicate. My wife said that because her radio was in her backpack with just the thin antenna sticking out, some people who saw her antenna would suddenly give her a wide berth, figuring she was an undercover cop.

nixiebunny

Post by nixiebunny » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:27 am

No undercovers seen, but the sheriff of Pershing County stopped to chat with us while driving in front of our camp. He's a nice guy. He said he will retire soon, so he can come to BM without having to work it.
--David Forbes

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:31 am

nixiebunny wrote:No undercovers seen, but the sheriff of Pershing County stopped to chat with us while driving in front of our camp. He's a nice guy. He said he will retire soon, so he can come to BM without having to work it.
I met him last year. You are right, he isn't a bad one.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:31 am

When I was greeting I met a detective from Las Vegas. He wasn't so nice.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:56 am

Ratty wrote:When I was greeting I met a detective from Las Vegas. He wasn't so nice.

Washoe County wasn't too bad but they ARE tired of the "Reno 911' jokes..........
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Return to “Stories”