any undercover run-ins?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
hug+kiss
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: any undercover run-ins?

Post by hug+kiss » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 pm

I had an experience 2013 but it wasn't undercover. I was on the playa near esplanade, I didn't have my glasses, might have been under the influence, and really had to pee. I see what appears to be Rangers in a golf cart so I go over and ask which way to the nearest portopotty . He tells me I could pee on the playa behind their cart. As they are saying this I see that that have the wrong badges on their kakis vests. Real cops telling a girl to squat and pee on the playa. I say quickly that I have a shy bladder and it's wrong to go on the playa and then quickly went back to my group, suddenly more sober. Not sure if they were fucking with me or setting me up. Either way it was wrong.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Sounds like entrapment, you were being set up

Good job in not listening to their suggestion.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:36 pm

You have no idea who is and who isn't undercover. Everyone asking about drugs is suspect-particularly if they are young or attractive. Are you going to give the painfully obvious ones a pass based on lay person advice in this thread?
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:47 am

I have no reason to doubt that undercovers are really good at their jobs, and that we probably interact with oodles of them without ever realizing it. The majority of us are not that interesting to them, and I imagine that they move on pretty quickly upon realizing this fact.

I have had some odd encounters out there that made me wonder though.

In 2013, I was having a real hoot riding a bike around alone and getting lost in the dust storm after the temple burn, and a couple of young ladies yelled to me. They were in street clothes, had no lights, no mask/bandana/shemag, no goggles, no warm clothes, and looked irritated. They were really persistent about trying to get me to let them sleep in my tent/rv; they said they had packed their stuff up to leave, then decided not to leave, but didn't want to unpack again. Initially, I agreed to let them do it, since I generally don't like seeing people struggle, but then I wondered about their age (they looked young) and also decided that I wanted to enjoy the dust storm and bike ride more than I wanted to bring them back to my camp. They kept pressing, in a fairly entitled way, and I got all burnier-than-thou and asked them why the hell they weren't prepared, a la radical self-reliance. Regardless, I was legitimately worried they would get hit by a bike rider in the nighttime dust storm, gave them blinkies, and suggested Center Camp as a place to find refuge. I did not make any friends during that interaction - my bad.

In 2014, during the Embrace burn, I was sitting cross-legged, enjoying an unobstructed view of the structure (I got there very early), pulled out my vape and started using it. Within a few seconds a couple of guys sat down right in front of me and started trying to interact with me. Maybe I was just annoyed that they plopped themselves in front of my nice view, but I also I think that they thought there was more than nicotine in the thing, because once I mentioned to another guy (some random burner behind me) that it was nicotine and flavor, the first two guys lost all interest in me.

More than likely, the first situation was just a case of some first-timers that made a logistical error, and were annoyed and used to getting what they want from guys. The second was probably just some old biker/drunks who thought they might get a free high.

The reason I think that undercovers are so good at their jobs is that I have never seen anyone out there that stands out as LEO, except for the ones in uniform and in vehicles. At other festivals, I have noticed them, but not at Burning Man.

Return to “Stories”