Drones as art

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Drones as art

Post by vargaso » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:56 am

Something like this will happen on the playa eventually, I'm sure. Pretty damn cool.

[media]

zerzura

Re: Drones as art

Post by zerzura » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:57 am

We've been talking about doing some pieces like this. At a party, a guy had made a nice airship/flying pirate ship on a drone. At Burning Man we followed one that had long LED tails and the operator was good at puppeting it so it looked like one of the hunters from the Matrix.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 am

a wrist rocket can turn a drone into art.......Just sayin......
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:04 pm

Its burning man. Fire is art. Flaming drones crashing at high speed into the playa would be cool. And yes, I'd help with mooping if it meant there was one less of those things was in the air. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:17 pm

When do we see our first drone with fire-nozzles spitting flame in the sky?
I bet the borg hasn't even thought of how they would regulate that yet...
Collapse first and avoid the rush

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Joeln wrote:... I bet the borg...
How am I just realizing that the bmorg can be abbreviated to The Borg (ala Star Trek if anyone is as dense as iI was). I don't tend to equate the two, but I'm sure there are plentyof cynics that would :-)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Pretty much how I feel too.
When in Rome...
Collapse first and avoid the rush

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:46 pm

I like the idea of drones doing things other than media capture.

The floating lampshade / lanterns look absurdly cool. Too bad they are super loud still. Maybe someone could do either live-piloted or programmatically synchronized drone art in coordination with a sound car to negate the noise.

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:30 pm

MacGlenver wrote:
Joeln wrote:... I bet the borg...
How am I just realizing that the bmorg can be abbreviated to The Borg (ala Star Trek if anyone is as dense as iI was). I don't tend to equate the two, but I'm sure there are plentyof cynics that would :-)
....that was 2005, or about when the little-folk stopped mattering (BOrg / BOrg2)
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:26 pm

For 2015 it sounds like drones are the new cell phones. I'm hearing some of the same stupid talk to stop them.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Elderberry wrote:For 2015 it sounds like drones are the new cell phones. I'm hearing some of the same stupid talk to stop them.
You may, or may not want to see this, but here are the official regulations already in place this year. I imagine that people complained enough and there were actual issues that the Bmorg reacted to. Funny what can be learned if there is actual interest in learning it.

http://burningman.com/news/news_story.h ... 545yy=2014
Like mutant vehicles, BRC regulates all RC aircraft and requires that they be operated responsibly, and are subject to restricted fly zones and other rules of operation.
Registration on-line is limited to 200 pilots and closes August 15.
RC pilots must receive an on-playa briefing, after which their RC aircraft and transmitters will be tagged and the pilots issued wristbands. Registration and briefings will be at 5 p.m. sharp, Monday through Saturday at the Artery in Center Camp.
RC pilots are financially responsible for any harm or damage caused during the event.
RC equipment can be confiscated for unsafe flying or violation of RCBRC, AMA, and FAA rules.
Confiscated RC equipment will be held until the end of the event or when the participant departs Black Rock City.
In addition to independent flying, registered RC pilots will have the opportunity to come together, share ideas, and fly from a protected RC Landing Zone. This will be set up at different art installations including near the Man. The changing locations will be posted at the Artery and announced on BMIR 94.5FM.

As in 2013, some guidelines remain the same, including:

When possible, use a spotter to control onlookers.
No First Person View (FPV) flying.
Flying limited to a maximum altitude of 400 ft.
Avoid flying over crowds. Maintain at least 25 ft. horizontal separation from people.
Avoid flying near emergency, police and fire personnel.
No flying near the Man beginning Friday night (during pyrotechnic set-up), and during the Temple burn.
Flying is prohibited in Center Camp, along the Esplanade, near the airport, and near the BLM Incident Command area.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:37 pm

I don't find anything wrong with regulating drones or PnP camps. They should be regulated. But regulation is one thing and vandalizing someone else's property is something else entirely.

What I don't like is people making threats or suggesting things like shooting them down, etc., same with PnP, same with phones, except I don't see any need to regulate phones, but I have no time for people talking down anybody that uses one at the event, or talks about vandalizing a PnP camp, or using wrist rockets to take out a drone. Not to mention those acts are illegal, let alone rude and disrespectful, and have no place on eplaya or the playa. What do you think this is? The Burning Man Facebook page?! :? :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 pm

So fucking cool. Thanks for sharing. The possibilities are endless.

It's only a matter of time.

[media]
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

zerzura

Post by zerzura » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:57 am

I think using a technology for art is pretty cool.

Return to “Stories”