How Burning Man saved my life.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
omegared
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Kamp Joe 4 President

How Burning Man saved my life.

Post by omegared » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 pm

How Burning Man Saved My Life

by Omega Red

"Come on O don't be a pussy!!!"

"Radical Inclusion Omega!!!"

"Come on Omega, remember Safety 3rd!!!"

"Fine!!! You assholes wanna see me die, bust out your cameras I want my death on YouTube!!!"

I climbed the tower to the zip-line trying like hell to hide the fact that I have a paralyzing fear of hights and was visibly shaking. All the while being heckled by campmates from below. People who 3 days ago were internet strangers but who had somehow in 72 hours become closer than family. I climbed on the seat of the zip-line and stared down at my impending doom.

"You ready?" the gentleman atop the tower asked. A man my age in purple parachute pants, a leather vest and a gaudily decorated top hat.

"No." I replied and jumped off the tower.

Sailing through the air along the zip-line in my urban cammo pants with leopard print cape flying behind me I realized I couldn't even recognize myself anymore. I wasn't that guy who 10 months ago filled his nights with beer, laying on the floor sobbing, more beer, and drunken midnight calls to an ex girlfriend who had long since moved on. I had become something else... I had become Omega.

It was a complete transformation. I now spent my time making trinkets to give to total strangers, giggling to myself as I dreamed up new pranks to take to the burn, trolling on the internet burner pages, being trolled on the internet burner pages, and working on costume pieces that were completely out of place in the default world. It takes all year to prepare for something that is over in one week.

My friends and coworkers back home would never understand what happens out there in the dust. It's not just a party or fuckfest, it has nothing to do with that but for some reason that's what everyone seems to think. I was part of a family and we pushed each other out of our own individual comfort zones to experience things that could never happen in our real world lives. We all get a little crazy but at the same time take care of each other so as to not completely lose touch with reality. It was heaven.

As I came to the end of the zip-line and fell onto the playa shaking I realized that Burning Man had saved my life. It had given me something to live for when for so long I had wandered around, fog in my eyes, a zombie just passing time between drunken blackouts.

My new family ran over to me laughing and hauled me up, knocking the dust from my cape and returning my hat and thermos.

"You did it Omega!!! No YouTube video this time!!!"

"You guys are assholes," I said smiling as we all exchanged hugs. "Lets go back to camp, I need another drink."

We wandered off together laughing and carrying on, vaguely in the direction of camp. Stopping occasionally to hug a stranger here and there. The afternoon sun was just slipping behind the mountains and everyone was getting ready for the night ahead. I coughed on the playa dust kicked up by a passing art car and thought to myself, "I'm Home."

See you at the trash fence for Daft Punk in 2016, in case you haven't heard Burning Man 2015 has been cancelled ;).

-Omega Red
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: How Burning Man saved my life.

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:11 pm

Thank you for sharing this, it made my day.

Of all the posts on Eplaya stories like this are my absolute favorite, yet few and far between (probably because it is so hard to put them into words).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:20 pm

:lol: :lol: sweet story...

thanks for sharing
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:10 pm

omegared wrote:How Burning Man Saved My Life

by Omega Red
I had to spend nine days camping with this Fucko.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Omega Red, Great story. Thanks. You're not a Fucko. Are you? Nah. Thanks for the tale it made me reflect on where I was before I started going.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Am I the only one who read his name as "oh my god red"??
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

sadie
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Haha! ... no... I first thought it was like that meme.... ermergerd!
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Nice. Thanks for sharing.
In dust we trust.

omegared

Post by omegared » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:07 am

Ratty wrote:Omega Red, Great story. Thanks. You're not a Fucko. Are you? Nah. Thanks for the tale it made me reflect on where I was before I started going.
Sorry Ratty, but I kind of am a Fucko.

Go fuck yourself Just_Joe. You Suck!!! :lol:

Like my camp for next year? I told you I was taking it to a whole new level. :D
Last edited by omegared on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey you don't want to be in your tent right now. I looks like Burning Man THREW UP in there."

omegared

Post by omegared » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:13 am

tamarakay wrote:Am I the only one who read his name as "oh my god red"??
I also hear "Oh my Gerd!!!" like that horse meme... sadie hit it on the head. I screwed it up when I was making my account... But ah fuck it, too late now. Names aren't important.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:33 pm

sadie wrote:Haha! ... no... I first thought it was like that meme.... ermergerd!
Me too! 8)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:22 pm

FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Return to “Stories”