Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by tatonka » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:13 pm

SageV wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:Finding
the legit Haight and Ashbury
Wouldn't the original Summer of Love crew all be 60 years old at bare minimum?
Which would probably get them a discount at their favorite eating establishment, where they can be found on Haight-
Yep, that's why the true greybeard hippies pretty much died out from the Burn in 2000. That leaves the "children of the sixties," in their fifties, in the vague hippy category. I think if you were conceived in the back of a station wagon stuck on the way to Woodstock and/or during one of the Electric Koolaid Acid Experiments and/or followed the Dead around in the 70's you also probably qualify.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a Hippy, that was a media invention, we had a funeral and everything. Putting on my completely unqualified cultural anthropologist hat: Most of the Burning Man crowd comes from the Ken Kesey "Get on the Bus" -> Merry Pranksters -> Discordian/Subgenius -> Cacophony society lineage. The traditional Hippy is from the Boho -> Beatnik -> Digger -> Flower Power -> Peace Movement lineage, so really a dead end if you're The Man and looking to score an easy bust because half of us became attorneys working for the ACLU.
Im going to be 60 this year , never considered myself a hippy . But I am studying Mycology ")
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:17 am

THANK YOU SageV

some of us are the care givers who are impelled to become laconic
as a result

xoA.

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:05 pm

tatonka wrote: Im going to be 60 this year , never considered myself a hippy . But I am studying Mycology ")
I joke around a little, but I think most people who would qualify as hippies don't consider themselves hippies. As I mentioned, that was really the media digesting and recycling the sixties counter-culture into an iconic stereotype, which they mostly used to market stuff to mundanes (i.e. you can hit any university library with a sixties archive to see how truly ridiculous and awkward it was). Personally, I've been known to play it up for the kids, because they seem to like stories about "what the sixties was really like."

Also see: http://kitoconnell.com/2010/10/27/lexicon-hippie/
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Where aren't the Burning Man hippies?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:59 pm

tatonka wrote:But I am studying Mycology ")
OT: After reading Mycophilia: Revelations from the Weird World of Mushrooms I have a serious interest in it as well. They are fascinating. Haven't taken any classes yet though, sadly that would involve having time.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Eric wrote:
tatonka wrote:But I am studying Mycology ")
OT: After reading Mycophilia: Revelations from the Weird World of Mushrooms I have a serious interest in it as well. They are fascinating. Haven't taken any classes yet though, sadly that would involve having time.
yup , something new which sparks my interest , no classes for me either. I have bought books from Paul Stamets ,and have watch a couple of lectures. Very interesting.
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

leafx
Burning Since: 2015

Post by leafx » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:54 am

ill join you in all psychonaut activities nonplatonic

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:20 pm

FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Return to “Stories”