Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 19, 2015 9:48 am

[media]
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
CyanEssence
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society
Location: SF

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by CyanEssence » Tue May 19, 2015 10:38 am

If you really aren't talking about drugs, and are talking about the psychedelic aesthetic, I think that you will find that in several places in BRC. A lot of people create art that could be categorized as "psychedelic," not because the artists were, or are, on drugs, but because that aesthetic can be visually striking, and appealing to many, and thus it has become somewhat pervasive in Western culture.

Also, I once heard someone say that one of their favorite things about BM was that it allowed them to go outside of their comfort zone in many ways. One of the ways that they mentioned was in regard to their sense of identity. This particular person grew up in a gang infested area of a major metropolitan area. Because of that, there was a lot of social pressure coming at him from all directions to conform to that stereotype.

He told me that he loved BM because it allowed him to get away from that narrow idea of who he "is," or "should be", and that he could wear silly hats and outfits that would have gotten him ridiculed, or even jumped, in his own neighborhood. There are loads of people on the playa who are not hippies, and many of them are fun, interesting, and talented in one way or another. Some of them will undoubtedly have interests and hobbies (other than drugs) similar to your own, but at the same time are not hippies. Getting to know some people who fall outside of your normal sense of identity as a hippie might just allow you to question, or even evolve, your sense of self just as much as, or perhaps even more than, any mind-expanding drug ever could.

User avatar
Aurelia
Posts: 2432
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:34 pm
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp
Location: San Fracisco, Bay Area

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Aurelia » Tue May 19, 2015 12:27 pm

They are NOT at the Rainbow because that is a different culture
the original "summer of love" people are working on another G.G.Park event
it is being planned for 2016

xoA.

maladroit
Posts: 2374
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by maladroit » Wed May 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Flowers wilt in the desert.

User avatar
Lonesomebri
Posts: 2576
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT
Location: NorCal

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed May 20, 2015 11:06 pm

Finding
the legit Haight and Ashbury
...
Wouldn't the original Summer of Love crew all be 60 years old at bare minimum?
Which would probably get them a discount at their favorite eating establishment, where they can be found on Haight-
“In the past seven months alone SFPD officers have arrested individuals on at least 11 separate occasions selling or possessing illegal narcotics on or directly in front of your Property,” the letter said. “In the last six months the police have recovered more than 100 doses of LSD, over two pounds of marijuana, 88.5 grams of psilocybin (psychedelic mushrooms), more than half of a pound of marijuana edibles, and hashish from drug dealers selling their products on your Property.”
http://sfist.com/2015/05/13/mcdonalds_a ... yan_in.php
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

User avatar
CyanEssence
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society
Location: SF

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by CyanEssence » Wed May 20, 2015 11:23 pm

I pass by here daily because it is on my way to work. The gutter punks are always interesting to watch. Normally they don't bother me, except for the odd instance of one of them trying to get me to laugh at some silly joke.

About a year ago, I got off the bus at Haight and Cole (two blocks or so down Haight from that MacDonalds mentioned in the article), and this gutter punk looks at me and says, "Wanna smoke some weed?" I politely declined, saying "Thank you but I don't smoke." His next question, "You got any meth?" I just shook my head and continued on my way.

I don't know if I consider these people hippies though. We call them crusties, or gutters.

What does bother me is seeing people locked into such self-destructive life-patterns, and knowing that mental illness or trauma are likely at the root of a lot of their suffering. I know it is not the case for all of them, but most people don't get to that point without some kind of catalyst - trauma or being mentally ill.
Last edited by CyanEssence on Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed May 20, 2015 11:33 pm

My opinion of them is so low that when I wrote it, the post got deleted. Since I can't say what I said, I'll just say that it suffices to say that I can't say it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

nonplatonic
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Burning Since: 2016

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by nonplatonic » Thu May 21, 2015 11:16 am

Zubeneschamali wrote:Nonplatonic, this might help your planning:

Do you really not consent to a search? Because that sounds like you're asking for it. I usually just try to fly under the radar. I'm fairly timid so intimidation tactics make me fold quickly :( I wouldn't be able to stay stern and keep insisting that I don't consent

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu May 21, 2015 11:22 am

You could simply not carry illegal drugs... but then I guess that just isn't an option for a hippie.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10220
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by FIGJAM » Thu May 21, 2015 12:43 pm

"Where are the Burning Man Hippies?"

Over by the burning herpes!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
tamarakay
Posts: 3115
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by tamarakay » Thu May 21, 2015 12:53 pm

Yep, the hippies are stuck at Bruno's.

One thing I love about the burn is that we are all thrown into the pot and you don't know if you are talking to a multimillionaire or a dishwasher. AND IT DOESN'T MATTER, cause out there we are all just participants.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit


http://www.dyewithdignity.com

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8714
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:28 pm

I'd rather hang with a hippie than a hipster
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

caffeineslinger
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:26 pm
Burning Since: 2003

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by caffeineslinger » Thu May 21, 2015 2:35 pm

lucky420 wrote:I'd rather hang with a hippie than a hipster
Hell, I'd hang em both.

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8714
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Nope you can only pick one.

Pick one!

:D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Posts: 9344
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly
Contact:

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Eric » Thu May 21, 2015 2:59 pm

I wouldn't hang either - in SF there's plenty of people who would say "hang the Burners" & lump us in with the hipsters. While I'll mock groups en masse (like hippies or gutter punks), I've got nothing against their actual existence, unless they attempt to interfere with my existence.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12576
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Savannah » Thu May 21, 2015 3:14 pm

nonplatonic wrote:
Zubeneschamali wrote:Nonplatonic, this might help your planning:

Do you really not consent to a search? Because that sounds like you're asking for it. I usually just try to fly under the radar. I'm fairly timid so intimidation tactics make me fold quickly :( I wouldn't be able to stay stern and keep insisting that I don't consent
There is no need to be stern. You can (should) be polite and say "I do not consent" in an ordinary, regular voice. You can say it more than once if they ask you more than once. You do not need to explain why, or come up with new ways to say it. Plenty of people refuse searches on principle, not because they've done something wrong.

(I would probably refuse a search of my car on the way in or out of the Burn, simply because it's packed to the gills and I don't want to unpack it.)

If you're timid and envision yourself folding under questioning, even more reason not to buy/sell/trade or even accept as a gift any illegal substance at the Burn. (I have occasionally offered people cigarettes--which I carry w/ one of my costumes--& been offered illegal stuff in return. No, thank you. :lol: )
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Zubeneschamali
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:54 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu May 21, 2015 3:35 pm

Nonplatonic,

You have rights, however those rights vary by location. How you choose to exercise those rights are up to you.

Piece of advice. Do a little homework so you know what you're getting into. People walking around festivals slinging drugs on the downlow is so pre 9-11. "Yo bro, how you doin (hashish, shrooms) Beautiful day, bra (hits, molly)

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. You know who said that? Judge fucking Judy, that's who. OK, actually I just pulled that out of thin air. But someone said it.

Meat Hunter
Posts: 957
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 pm
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu May 21, 2015 3:38 pm

I was in Minnesota a few weeks ago. A friend and I were walking back to her house and this next door neighbor dude comes up and asks her if she has a "smoke".

My friend replied, "I don't smoke".

I chime in, as I reached into the bib pocket of my overalls and said, "I don't smoke either, but would you care for some of my chewing tobacco?"

Next door neighbor dude had a confused look on his face and just shook his head as he walked off.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

User avatar
CyanEssence
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society
Location: SF

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by CyanEssence » Thu May 21, 2015 7:22 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:You could simply not carry illegal drugs...
Ding, ding, ding! This is my answer to the problem.
caffeineslinger wrote:
lucky420 wrote:I'd rather hang with a hippie than a hipster
Hell, I'd hang em both.
I honestly have never understood this sentiment. I've tried, and thought really hard about it, but I can not think of any reason why I would ever waste my energy on being angry with people who are really not affecting my life in any way. And if they are causing me trouble (like being loud outside while I am sleeping, or something else annoying some hipsters/hippies/sports groupies/bar drunks might do) I would be angry with those people, for that behavior, and would try and address it, rather than elevating my anger to a hatred of everyone who looks like them. I like being happy more than being angry, so I tend to work on keeping my mind away from angry.
tamarakay wrote:
One thing I love about the burn is that we are all thrown into the pot and you don't know if you are talking to a multimillionaire or a dishwasher. AND IT DOESN'T MATTER, cause out there we are all just participants.
Tamarakay, I love this sentiment. This is probably my favorite part about the burn too (aside from sunrise with a view of amazing art).

There is an excellent book called "Dancing in the Streets: A History of Collective Joy" By Barbara Ehrenreich, which is well researched and a pleasure to read. She writes about the history of people getting together to sing, dance, and make music together, mostly from a western perspective. She touches on how much preparation has gone into festivals since time immemorial, and how this has been lost to most in our modern world. She links this loss of festive culture and collective joy to the rise in depression and isolation in the west.

I thought that I should share this with you because one part of her book talks about how the "ritual of inversion" has been a characteristic of many festivals in the past, and how remnants of it can be seen in Mardi Gras today - where the commoners dress like kings and queens, and the rich dress like the poor. This leveling effect happens on the playa too (although maybe in different ways), and I hope that it continues despite all the money coming into the event.

I absolutely love this book, and gave my only copy to a friend that I made on the playa last summer, but I just bought two more copies with the intention of giving at least one of them away. You can find it for under a dollar on amazon, and it is well worth the read:

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8714
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:06 pm

CyanEssence wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:You could simply not carry illegal drugs...
Ding, ding, ding! This is my answer to the problem.
caffeineslinger wrote:
lucky420 wrote:I'd rather hang with a hippie than a hipster
Hell, I'd hang em both.
I honestly have never understood this sentiment. I've tried, and thought really hard about it, but I can not think of any reason why I would ever waste my energy on being angry with people who are really not affecting my life in any way. And if they are causing me trouble (like being loud outside while I am sleeping, or something else annoying some hipsters/hippies/sports groupies/bar drunks might do) I would be angry with those people, for that behavior, and would try and address it, rather than elevating my anger to a hatred of everyone who looks like them. I like being happy more than being angry, so I tend to work on keeping my mind away from angry.
tamarakay wrote:
One thing I love about the burn is that we are all thrown into the pot and you don't know if you are talking to a multimillionaire or a dishwasher. AND IT DOESN'T MATTER, cause out there we are all just participants.
Tamarakay, I love this sentiment. This is probably my favorite part about the burn too (aside from sunrise with a view of amazing art).

There is an excellent book called "Dancing in the Streets: A History of Collective Joy" By Barbara Ehrenreich, which is well researched and a pleasure to read. She writes about the history of people getting together to sing, dance, and make music together, mostly from a western perspective. She touches on how much preparation has gone into festivals since time immemorial, and how this has been lost to most in our modern world. She links this loss of festive culture and collective joy to the rise in depression and isolation in the west.

I thought that I should share this with you because one part of her book talks about how the "ritual of inversion" has been a characteristic of many festivals in the past, and how remnants of it can be seen in Mardi Gras today - where the commoners dress like kings and queens, and the rich dress like the poor. This leveling effect happens on the playa too (although maybe in different ways), and I hope that it continues despite all the money coming into the event.

I absolutely love this book, and gave my only copy to a friend that I made on the playa last summer, but I just bought two more copies with the intention of giving at least one of them away. You can find it for under a dollar on amazon, and it is well worth the read:
edited because 420
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Posts: 9344
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly
Contact:

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Eric » Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 pm

A serious note to the OP: all state & Federal laws apply in BRC, and there are more law-enforcement officers there per-capita than probably any other similar sized city in the US. They love to apply the "stupid tax" to people breaking the law, and fines in Nevada can be serious.

I was taught this when I first started going way back in '03, and it's even more true now: the cops have been Burning longer than you, they have better costumes & art cars, you will not be able to tell who an undercover one is.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

nonplatonic
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 3:52 pm
Burning Since: 2016

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by nonplatonic » Fri May 22, 2015 12:22 am

Eric wrote:A serious note to the OP: all state & Federal laws apply in BRC, and there are more law-enforcement officers there per-capita than probably any other similar sized city in the US. They love to apply the "stupid tax" to people breaking the law, and fines in Nevada can be serious.

I was taught this when I first started going way back in '03, and it's even more true now: the cops have been Burning longer than you, they have better costumes & art cars, you will not be able to tell who an undercover one is.
Thank you. I needed the blunt truth, I guess.

I envisioned a plethora of shrooms for my trip, to be honest. This set me straight. I've never been to jail before, and I don't want to ruin my first burn by turning it into my first lock-up. That's intense.

User avatar
VultureChow
Posts: 2328
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by VultureChow » Fri May 22, 2015 6:08 am

nonplatonic wrote:
I envisioned a plethora of shrooms for my trip, to be honest.
In my opinion, hallucinogens are entirely unnecessary, especially your first year. Every bizarre thing you are seeing is real. The ship sailing across the desert is real. The reggae lion is real. The octopus shooting fire is real. The colors and scents and sights and sounds are so outside what you could have imagined, that reality gets you high.
Sic Semper Spectatores

User avatar
some seeing eye
Posts: 3128
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo
Location: The Oregon

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by some seeing eye » Fri May 22, 2015 6:43 am

I have to second VC on this one. First you may be exhausted from packing, getting to the playa, setting up camp, second you are at 4000 feet kicking in a response to that, third your nutritional uptake may be very different, fourth you may be reversing your sleep cycle, all the while the bright sun is trying to tell your body the exact opposite. Then you are meeting some of the nicest, most creative people on the planet. Frankly it mystifies me that with all those natural things altering your brain that people even consume alcohol on the playa.

It's not a spectator festival to be seen through an alterant, it's much more fun being fully present and fully open to the full range of person to person interactions.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

User avatar
Captain Goddammit
Posts: 8339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri May 22, 2015 7:24 am

Other people work their ass off to build camps and art. You wanna go to get wasted on shrooms.

No further comment.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

User avatar
Dr Helix
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe
Location: Hayward, CA

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Dr Helix » Fri May 22, 2015 7:59 am

VultureChow wrote:
nonplatonic wrote:
I envisioned a plethora of shrooms for my trip, to be honest.
In my opinion, hallucinogens are entirely unnecessary, especially your first year. Every bizarre thing you are seeing is real. The ship sailing across the desert is real. The reggae lion is real. The octopus shooting fire is real. The colors and scents and sights and sounds are so outside what you could have imagined, that reality gets you high.
So true. I came back from my first year and was having light shows both in my head and all around me for days afterward. And I don't do drugs.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8714
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by lucky420 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:08 am

jesus christ there's alot of Judgy McJudys here...oh wait its eplaya

dont be stupid, keep your shit on the down low, participate, dont just spectate, YMMV

you'll be fine


Im super cranky this morning...grrrrrr :evil:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
mgb327
Posts: 1082
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Somerset, Va.

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by mgb327 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:42 am

An ya better watch out for 420 when she is cranky....duck!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Meat Hunter
Posts: 957
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 pm
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri May 22, 2015 9:28 am

Count me in.

I find it so nice these days to remember: what I did, what I said, who I met, what they said and what I saw the night before.

At my advanced level of decay, I no longer need to ask Alice, "... what hole the white rabbit went into".

I found that rabbit hole ~50+ years ago. And, I remember exactly where it is, so there is no need for me to go looking for it again.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

User avatar
DrYes
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Location: Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Where are the Burning Man hippies??

Post by DrYes » Fri May 22, 2015 10:22 am

nonplatonic wrote:
Eric wrote:A serious note to the OP: all state & Federal laws apply in BRC, and there are more law-enforcement officers there per-capita than probably any other similar sized city in the US. They love to apply the "stupid tax" to people breaking the law, and fines in Nevada can be serious.

I was taught this when I first started going way back in '03, and it's even more true now: the cops have been Burning longer than you, they have better costumes & art cars, you will not be able to tell who an undercover one is.
Thank you. I needed the blunt truth, I guess.

I envisioned a plethora of shrooms for my trip, to be honest. This set me straight. I've never been to jail before, and I don't want to ruin my first burn by turning it into my first lock-up. That's intense.
Eric is right, but he's also scaring you with a little tough love I think.

Look, everybody on this board likely has many MANY friends that bring all sorts of substances with them to the Burn. I'd suggest that there's at least a 50% chance that any single vehicle entering has banned substances of some kind in it.

Think of illegal substances at Burning Man this way: When a tiger is chasing you and a bunch of other people, all you have to be is faster than the slowest guy in the pack. Don't be stupid, and you'll be fine. Or, more accurately, don't be stupid WHILE you have banned substances on your person or in the vehicle that you're in. And even if you are, you're far more likely to be simply cited/fined than actually arrested.

This is an interesting article, though appears to cover only BLM personnel (not local police/sheriffs) in its arrest/citation stats for Burning Man. http://fedline.federaltimes.com/2014/04 ... prise-you/

2013: BM Population was 69,613. BLM officers: 70. Drug citations: 309. Arrests: 6.

So I don't know what proportion of arrests and citations BLM makes up compared to other law enforcement agencies out there, but nothing I've ever heard makes me think that there are many arrests at all. Citations are more frequent but still not that frequent given the likely proportion of people hauling around things that are illegal out there.

Anecdotally, your best chance of being cited is either giving law enforcement a reason to pull over and search your vehicle during entry or smoking weed openly. To avoid giving LEOs a reason to pull you over, make sure that during entry you
a) Don't speed, even a little. Even if other people are passing you, religiously drive no faster than the 10 mph (or 5 mph once in the city) that the rules say. Getting there a few minutes faster is not worth the risk.
b) Make sure your license plate is clearly visible. If you have a bike rack that obscures it at all, take off the license plate and put it on the back of the bike rack. If you're coming in at night, make sure it's illuminated.

If you're going to smoke weed, find a way to do it that won't stink up your surroundings, particularly if you're camping right next to a road. Common sense.

Again, don't be dumb, and you'll be fine.

Post Reply

Return to “Stories”