and on a positive note this day: Beyond Black Rock

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
regynalonglank

and on a positive note this day: Beyond Black Rock

Post by regynalonglank » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:12 pm

just got my special edition thank you dvd of Beyond Black Rock - the Movie and have already watched it twice...I love how it takes you through the first week so fast, like it is when it is your first time, and then the next whole year goes by so slowly in increments of "the man burns in" as you plan and think about it until the next time you are there...I loved seeing the people building the city, and hearing their stories, I loved the characters that do what makes that place happen, and Action Girl is such a movie star, and my friend Paperboy was in there on his kite buggy - thank you so much for sharing your movie with me, i love it, and it was just what i needed to see right now. thank you!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

mr. fang

Post by mr. fang » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:04 pm

I picked up some copies of the DVD at the 2nd screening in Austin, and recommend this film to anyone who thinks they might enjoy a film about Burning Man. It appears as though copies are still available for $10 on the film's site: http://www.beyondblackrock.com/store.html

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:36 pm

Thanks for the link, Fang. Just ordered one. It's hard to tell from the site what this is about but I've always thought it would be cool to have a documentary about burning man that involves everything BUT the week of the event (the preparation, the work, pre- and post-burn activities, etc.) because Burning Man really does extend beyond the Playa. Way, way beyond.
It's what you make it.

mr. fang

Post by mr. fang » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:20 pm

This one does feature a lot of footage of David Best and some other artists planning their installations before the event, as well as interviews with Larry Harvey, Maid Marian, Action Girl, DPW folks, and a few other members of the BM org. Beyond Black Rock was shot in 2002 and 2003.

An older documentary which features a lot of behind the scenes footage from before and after the event (but which I haven't seen yet) is titled Working for the Man: the Building, Burning and Disappearance of Black Rock City 2000. It was shot by Quiet Girl (of DPW), and has a web site here: http://www.angelfire.com/film/quietgirl ... rking.html

burning tent

This sounds pretty cool.

Post by burning tent » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:45 am

How the city is put together, taken apart, stored, etc., was something I was thinking about every time I trekked through and around it. It must be a massive undertaking.

P.S. I hope you didn't change your avatar due to my comment on how hot the old one was. (Yes, it's all about me. ;~) No creepy offense, or apologies, if you did.

MusicVixen

Post by MusicVixen » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:10 am

I just received my copy last week. All I can say is wonderful!!! The best part for me was seeing so many people I've come to know at BRC in the film. Additionally, 2003 was my first burn making this film even more special for me.
[color=indigo]MusicVixen[/color]

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:08 pm

mr. fang wrote:Working for the Man
i love it...workin for the man...i wish!

thanks for the info, i'm gonna check that out too.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

natthebat

Post by natthebat » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:55 pm

I saw the film a couple days ago. I was invited to go watch with my new burner friends. I also just finished This Is Burning Man. It's the book that just came out. I am starting to think I might be a little obsessed. Seeing the film was like comforting proof that it really did happen. It makes me happy to see so many other people feeling what looks a lot like what I feel. I am happy to have some real information about how much work, time, planning, money, opposition, etc... goes into this event. You're right, this was my first burn, and it's all I want to think about, 9 more months until the man burns. I think about it all the time. There is no other choice than to participate now. Can't wait to go home. Thank goodness burners are friendly and find creative ways to pass the time til' then. Got to take that feeling everywhere. Can't live all year for one week. Must create and love here and now while we can't be there.
Natalie
and fuck you too.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

DVD

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:19 pm

Now I will have to drink me a Keystone Light Beer when my DVD arrives, maybe salt the rim with playa dust.

This is the time of year when my business slows down and I spend more time building deeper relationships with my clients. At least that's how I used to say it. Now I look at at more as just hanging with friends. That is something I had to re-learn on the playa.

I want my Day Vay Day!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:24 pm

Thanks, you guys, for supporting the film. The group of folks who came together to make it are some of the coolest people I know, and the experience of working with them was fantastic. It was a labor of love in the best possible way, so the support of the community means a whole lot.

And I've showed them this thread so they'll hear the nice things folks are saying about them. :) Keep your fingers crossed for them to get an opportunity for more folks to enjoy it.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:27 am

I'm checking the mailbox anxiously every day for my copy! Can't wait to enjoy it, and share it with my Kamp Kalamazoo Kohorts who couldn't go Home with me this year!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:58 pm

nice.
just ordered both vids.
thanks for the heads up.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:22 am

My copy of BBR came on Friday- It's just exactly what I had hoped a documentary on Burning Man would be. '03 was my first year, and it was a real treat to have such complete documentation of so many aspects of the event!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

DVD

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:49 am

Beyond Black Rock was great! I was almost brought to tears. Surprisingly not by David Best's devotion and sacrifice, but by his directness and humanity when telling everybody "It's not your fault". I say "almost" only because I need more decompression as the stress of the Christmas holiday approaches.

Can you guess where I've been Christmas shopping? Here's the link again:
http://www.beyondblackrock.com/store.html

Great news there too. Here's the quote:

"PLUS, in celebration of an upcoming co-production, our friends at Purple Productions have decided to match our deal and are also offering copies of their film, "Dust Devils" for $10 plus shipping. It's like two for one! Except you have to pay for both. But you get a good deal. Check it out:
"Dust Devils captures the heart of the Burning Man experience, as felt by Irish and American participants with frank interviews, spectacular imagery and a stunning soundtrack."
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:18 am

I have decided to live in the mailbox until my copy of Dust Devils arrives.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:06 pm

just got my dust devils today, and workin for tha man should be here any day now. i am now an official borg screening room! dust devils here i come :)
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Return to “Stories”