WHO IS DOWN WITH THE SOUND?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
HEADBANDMAN

WHO IS DOWN WITH THE SOUND?

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:53 am

One time in 2002 I was walking around ya know kind of late at night(alone) and in one of the main streets I ran into these drummers. They were dressed in wolly animal suits. I became captivated with these drumers. They all seems to know the same tune. It was sounding really good. I remember thinking that these people must be in the same group. But I found out latter they were not. O.K very cool.

A year goes by and right before the burn of 2003. That was with out a doubt the coolest burning man "MAN" That perimid was so cool. Any way fire dancers come out ect. And I hear the same, ya know tune, but I am in a similar state.

Now new year eva 2004 I heard it again in SFO. BMParty. But then again altered and then< I don't know I just forgot about it.

So the question is does Buning Man have a song? Or am I just imagining it. Or do I have a song for Burning Man?

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:02 pm

hmmm...interesting. there are certainly a number of drum beats that are common in many drum playing cultures. usually when i play hand drum and think i have come up with something original it will later be pointed out to me that it is a traditional beat from the __________ tribe in _________ and then someone else will say yeah, and it reminds me of this one from ___________ and so on. perhaps you have tapped into the central beat from the drum jam circles, and you are finding it everywhere...study african drumming, and you will find it.

then teach it to us!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

HEADBANDMAN

BEAT?

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:40 pm

OR IS IT A BEAT. OR IS THAT BEET.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:52 pm

we all know the rhythms of the universe!

it's' in two, three or 5 or seven or nine perhaps evey odd number or a combination of al!

12121231212123121234512121231212123123451234567 again again repeat repeat.

A II Z[/b]

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:53 pm

we all know the rhythms of the universe!

it's' in two, three or 5 or seven or nine perhaps evey odd number or a combination of al!

12121231212123121234512121231212123123451234567 again again repeat repeat.

A II Z

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:56 pm

There is no question whatsoever that each year in BRC there is a new and unique "song." Each year the cacophonous pulse audile while one is out upon the deep playa is markedly different and at the same time utterly ineffable. One year I swear the rhythmic pulse translated in my mind to something like, “oh, kitty, you’re my kitty, kitty, kitty, you’re my kitty” over and over again.

CagedKitty

Post by CagedKitty » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:48 pm

Who, MEow?
I definitely saw the fire dancing to the beat of the drums, and the drums felt the fire and I knew them, so they know me, and I feel that beat in my heart.
Where have I been all my life?

kelly_qt

Post by kelly_qt » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:49 pm

this was the most amazing ab=nd beautiful life changing experience i have ever had! I LOVE IT! FIRE IS THE BEST CLEANSER! :D
"You dont have to know where you're going, as long as you're on your way!"
FIRE IS THE BEST CLEANSER!

HEADBANDMAN

COOL

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:19 pm

:idea: Speaking of sound. You know I am living down here in Guatmala and one night there was very loud short earth quake. It only lasted about 5 seconds But it was really load enough to wake me up from a deep sleep and scare the shit out of me. It was so load that it sounded just like thunder. It makes sence something as big as the earth can make a big sound. Can you hear it?

dragonfly Jafe

Re: COOL

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:02 pm

HEADBANDMAN wrote::idea: Speaking of sound. You know I am living down here in Guatmala and one night there was very loud short earth quake. It only lasted about 5 seconds But it was really load enough to wake me up from a deep sleep and scare the shit out of me. It was so load that it sounded just like thunder. It makes sence something as big as the earth can make a big sound. Can you hear it?
Nature produces a lot of noise, much of which humans cannot hear! Volcanos, wind, waves, fires, earthquakes, the jet stream, etc. all can produce large intensities of infra-sonic sound that you "feel" more than hear. But plenty of stuff to hear also! I am considering bringing an infra-sound generator for 2005....(once I convince myself that I won't kill anyone with it!)

Anthony Bondi

Infra Sound Generator

Post by Anthony Bondi » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:06 pm

I do not think you want to convince yourself that you cannot kill people with such a device. At the least, you would not want to subject people to the field you would generate without offering them fair warning.

dragonfly Jafe

Re: Infra Sound Generator

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Anthony Bondi wrote:I do not think you want to convince yourself that you cannot kill people with such a device. At the least, you would not want to subject people to the field you would generate without offering them fair warning.
The frequencies I am considering (16Hz-20Hz) are within the range of musical instruments (e.g.- pipe organs) and some audiophile sound systems are also capable of generating significant energy in this range. Tones in this range can be created by building ventilation systems, and are thought to be associated w/ haunted houses. Existing Industry Standards on exposure to noise can be used to determine safe levels, the trick is to ensure that they are not exceeded (say in a wind storm!).

Lower frequencies can produce extreme discomfort & disorientation, and if the energy levels and exposure are great enough, permanent damage or even possibly death. This is the range to be sure to avoid, as well as certain other considerations.

Rest assured that if I do bring this, it will be as a registered piece (and have passed the Art inspection...) Furthermore, I would never "subject" anyone to this, nor would I make it automatic. I would make it people-powered so they have to make it go themselves. And yes, there would be a fair warning of what to expect.

MizMarz

re: B-man "song"

Post by MizMarz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:33 pm

I can only tell you what I know from being in the Fire Conclave in 2003 & 2004 - in '03, there was a "suggested" drum beat that would take place by whoever wanted to perform it prior to the man burning. Was called "the Heartbeat of the Man"...

The Fire Conclave was a choreographed performance in 2004. All fire performers and drummers were required to learn the same poi routine and drum rhythm (respectively). Learning this drum beat was a requirement for anyone who was drumming for the Conclave. One of my friends who is a long-time drummer did not even need to practice or learn it. He heard it once and was like, oh yeah, thats [whatever he called it].
Open 24 hours a day 7 days a year

HEADBANDMAN

BEAT

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:47 pm

All right so there is a beat. I knew I wasn't the only one to hear it. Who else is down with this sound?

HEADBANDMAN

Re: COOL

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:03 pm

HEADBANDMAN wrote::idea: Speaking of sound. You know I am living down here in Guatmala and one night there was very loud short earth quake. It only lasted about 5 seconds But it was really loud enough to wake me up from a deep sleep and scare the shit out of me. It was so loud that it sounded just like thunder. It makes sence something as big as the earth can make a big sound. Can you hear it?
I Kept spelling loud wrong. I hate when I do that. It's so wrong!

You know what else is a funny sound here? We have a turkey. It was supposed to be eaten for Chirtmas but no one wanted to kill it. It makes this sound like some one is laughing at the top of there lunges. Oh man that thing is hilarious. It is getting really big too. Sometimes it will sneak up behind you and you turn around and there it is. Just starring at you. It's not scarry though. It's pretty friendly.

dragonfly Jafe

Re: BEAT

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:13 pm

HEADBANDMAN wrote:All right so there is a beat. I knew I wasn't the only one to hear it. Who else is down with this sound?
I heard a song last year that I knew that alot of people were practicing, forgot which one it was - Fanga?

Return to “Stories”