Sob story

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
apprehensive
Burning Since: 2018

Sob story

Post by apprehensive » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:22 am

So, generally I try not to recount my woes to others, but I fear that this will have some much needed therapeutic value for me.

This morning, I rocked up to the airport taxi, bags in hand and a little spring in my step, all ready to head to the local airport in the north of Scotland, which would then take me to Manchester and from there to San Francisco. Awesome. I was pretty anxious, but excited all the same at the prospect of it all, and completely glad that I'd resolved to attend this event year. I'd planned on going last year, but for various reasons couldn't attend. This was to be my first Burn. I say *was* because when I got midway to the airport, the taxi driver told me that he wasn't aware of a morning flight, and when I checked my ticket reservation on my phone, it turns out that I'd booked the 30th of September and not August. I'm massively careless owing to the joyous combination of severe OCD and autism, but I am extra careful because of this as I know what I'm like in this regard. I spent so much energy and time double checking the international flight arrangements, that I obviously missed the mistake in the domestic one.

Long story short, there wasn't another connecting flight and I missed the international flight, which Delta say is now wholly nonrefundable since I only noticed within the last few hours. So, no Burn for me. And I feel like crying. Except I'm incapable of doing so owing to my conditions and so am spilling my frustrations presently onto the forum.

Canoe

Re: Sob story

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:11 am

That certainly does suck.
And would surely go in the "Fuck!" thread.

If you can afford it, and flights are available, you certainly wouldn't be the only Burner arriving sometime in the middle of the week.
If you can't afford it, get your ticket up for sale: someone else gets to go, and you get those funds for a ticket next year...
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:05 am

Is it wrong to suggest that Delta are a bunch of unhelpful, by the book asshats? They're totally within their rights not to offer me any refund or to transfer my flight to another day, but in the circumstances and given that I'm offering to fly with them tommorrow and to pay any difference in the price I'd have thought they'd have been slightly more accommodating.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:15 pm

You could try Delta customer service, not booking. Don't mention Burning Man, but mention your medical difficulties.
Was your Delta flight for Aug 30th or Sep 30th. If so, you could point out that they have a month to book that seat.
Don't expect anything, but it can't hurt to ask?

If it doesn't work out, get your ticket up for sale. Is it a physical ticket or a Will Call Ticket? If Will Call, there's a new reliable ticket transfer method.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

flashdance
Burning Since: 2014

Post by flashdance » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:08 am

Sorry :( ... a bit of delta humor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os-rupiVrvs?

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:42 am

I ended up booking another flight from London to San Francisco. And then missed it. So I had to fly to LA instead and then drive up. Is there an award for most ramshackle journey to get to Burning Man? Because I think I could be a contender.

Delta told me to go away regarding the first missed flight, as I thought they would. Oddly the domestic flight I had with Delta from San Francisco back to LA was really rather nice, and their snacks were even vegan.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:45 am

Yes, but how was your burn?
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:25 pm

[quote="apprehensive"]I ended up booking another flight from London to San Francisco. And then missed it. So I had to fly to LA instead and then drive up. Is there an award for most ramshackle journey to get to Burning Man? Because I think I could be a contender.

So you mixed up the dates on the first flight, then MISSED the second one? Ya got my vote!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Yes, Virgin were really nice and got me onto an alternative flight. Two missed international flights within the space of a week is quite impressive.

Then my credit card wasn't working when I tried to pay for my ticket it roll call. I didn't have enough cash on me and so had to drive all the way back to Gerlach to find a cash machine. I felt like screaming at that point.

My Burn was interesting though. I found it really quite overwhelming at times and I'm still, weeks later, processing it all.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:27 pm

Why didn't you find a cash machine in Reno---by the airport?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Roll call? Will call?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

apprehensive

Post by apprehensive » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Sorry, Will Call. Mea culpa.

I should have found a cash machine at the airport. But I am an idiot. I has disorganisational skillz.

I also managed to get completely lost in LA for about three hours when my phone stopped working. Also, when I got to the Burn, I had thought that I'd arrange my new itinerary such that I was leaving on the Saturday night after the Man burnt and that I was flying back on the Tuesday. Nope. I'd actually arranged it for the Sunday and was flying back on the Wednesday. I noticed this immediately prior before my arriving at the hotel on the Sunday, which was great.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:28 am

remind me never to use a travel agent with a scottish accent.
Frida Be You & Me

Netty58
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Netty58 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:46 am

Dang. I applaud your tenacity. You should get the Golden Ferret Award for running in circles. What time do you leave for work in the morning? I assume either your car never starts or you miss at least 2 buses.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Write shit down.

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Either that, or you can just go with the flow...

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Apprehensive has done a better job than I would to go with the flow. After the first misstep, I would have been back home throwing things and sulking. He's got true burner tenacity! 8)

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:37 pm

How were you buying a ticket at will call?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:06 pm

BBadger wrote:How were you buying a ticket at will call?
Perhaps LIT?

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 pm

CyanEssence wrote:
Perhaps LIT?
That is a lot of walkon airfair for an LIT.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:02 am

CyanEssence wrote:
Perhaps LIT?
Ah, that makes sense now.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:18 am

Yeah, what? Someone who can afford an international flight, miss it, and then fork out for another one, miss THAT, and change to another flight, rent a car from LA and book a flight from SF to LA...was awarded a low income ticket?

I guess the title of this thread has a lot more meaning now.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Maybe we should change the name of this thread to Sap Story.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:56 pm

My business isn't doing so well, so I'm only able to pull out about $36k/yr before taxes. I live paycheck to paycheck. Even so, I'd feel really dirty applying for a low-income ticket. I couldn't afford flying to Europe for a desert party there. Who is the low-income ticket program for, again?

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:38 pm

maladroit wrote:My business isn't doing so well, so I'm only able to pull out about $36k/yr before taxes. I live paycheck to paycheck. Even so, I'd feel really dirty applying for a low-income ticket. I couldn't afford flying to Europe for a desert party there. Who is the low-income ticket program for, again?
I know the low income thing is what it looks like, but this person has been so scattered who knows if that's what they meant. But it does sound like that's what it was. And I agree, if you can afford all that, you should not be in the running for a LIT.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:30 pm

I saw OP was logged in and watching this thread for an hour or two, I kept checking for an explanation. I guess it will take a bit longer to come up with one.

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:10 pm

I understand the intent behind the low income ticket program, and it is a great concept.

But honestly, with all of the related expenses, if $200 is going to make or break your trip, you have seriously under-prepared.

Just my .02
I like eggs.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:23 pm

This is straying off topic, but I'd really wish the LIT program was abolished.

I know a photographer who spends his life travelling around the world photographing for a very rich person who enjoys vanity. He received a LIT ticket this year, because he doesn't technically have an "income," he just gets comped nearly everything to basically take facebook/instagrma pictures of someone.

He also made one of the most infamous "bad" Burning Man videos that ended up on burners.me and other places full of hate. Not exactly a good person, to be honest.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:38 pm

Oh look what I started...

Though that photographer sounds like a douchebag, I wouldn't hold it against the LIT program anymore than a soup kitchen that a well-off person exploits.

For more fundamental reasons, however, I do think the LIT program should be abolished. That $200 is not something that makes or breaks a vacation, and if somehow it is, you probably shouldn't be stretching your finances in the first place. Also, Burning Man is a luxury; it shouldn't be subsidized. Those tickets don't have to be disbursed into the general pool, but can be rolled into volunteer programs or something, but a "Low Income" ticket for a vacation just seems ridiculous.

Alas, it's all been said before.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:01 am

Next you'll be telling people what they can and cannot buy with their food stamps. No steak and lobster for you!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Stories”