Law Enforcement in 2105

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Law Enforcement in 2105

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 pm

First person or second person reports of engagements,
including positive (or negative or neutral) with law enforcement
to, in, from the burn?

Add them here!

What, where when, exactly?

This Reno media outlet seeks sensation to drive pageviews with an early sky is falling story:

"""Pershing County Sheriff’s deputies have made about 12 arrests so far since Burning Man opened its gates Sunday morning, with some arrests made and citations issued even before the festival started.

“Its kind hard to track because we’ve had so many as we speak,” Pershing County Undersheriff Tom Bjerke said Tuesday. “There were some before that. Most of it at this point is for controlled substances and maybe battery witnessed by the officer.”

Last year, deputies and U.S. Bureau of Land Management agents, who oversee law enforcement at the week-long event, arrested a handful of people. A major crimes team consisting of both county-contracted officers and federal agents charged one person with sexual assault, four with narcotic violations, one with domestic violence and two with trespassing, according to the BLM operational assessment of the 2014 event.

In 2013, federal authorities issued 225 oral warnings, 64 written warnings and 98 citations, according to the BLM. Authorities made only three arrests and evicted five people.

In 2012, there were about 350 arrests and citations during the event. That included drug violations, according to the BLM. Two years prior, the BLM reported 293 citations and eight arrests.

In an earlier interview, Pershing County Sheriff Jerry Allen told the Reno Gazette-Journal that he and his deputies would be “upholding the law to the best of our ability.”

That meant enforcing all laws outside of restrictions on nudity while deputies worked at Burning Man, Allen said in an interview in late August.

Meanwhile, Bjerke said he absolutely expected more arrests as the festival continues. Details on the arrests made were not immediately available.

“We’ve seen a much, much bigger crowd earlier in the event this year,” Bjerke said. “The information system is being overloaded because of a combination of factors.”

That includes bad communication between deputies at the playa and officers at the Pershing County Sheriff’s Office.

“We don’t have the best equipment in the world here, and we’re trying to communicate with a lot of outdated stuff,” Bjerke said. “We were able to put more officers out there, so I anticipate that we’ll have more arrests.”

Still, the number of citations won’t be tallied until after the event because of the amount of time it takes to process a citation.

“We’re making more arrests because we have more officers out there,” he said. “We’re issuing citations for personal dope and seizing the dope and going on with the event.

Most Burners arrested on drug-related charges “made a life mistake,” Bjerke said. Those mistakes shouldn’t take away from the event, he said.

“You have a choice a lot of the times to arrest someone or issue a citation and a lot of the times it’s easier to issue a citation.”"""
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Re: Law Enforcement in 2105

Post by RedHeaven » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:22 am

Sure hope Burning Man is around in 2105 for our kids kids! ;)
I wonder if it will really of jumped the shark by then? hhehehe

Watching the live stream, I see more "reality vehicles" than ever before, been watching the stream for the last few years. Is it just me?

DOCTORYummm
Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: MASON JAR

Post by DOCTORYummm » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Leaving the burn, heading north, just out of town we stopped to wash our arms with our left over solar shower water. A local sheriff stopped to check on us immediatly. He was very friendly and offered suggestions for a good soak ten miles up the road. It was a very nice encounter and I appreciated the hell out of it. Seemed to me some of the ranger interactions I had on the playa at the ranger station at 520 and esplenade if I got any response at all it was a snarl or a mean look. However I did see alot of ranger folks on the walk about having good interactions with people. So, I've seen worse interactions at previous burns. Overall I thought they where professional at the very least based on my observations. The blm guys seemed the best well behaved folks so good for them.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Had absolutely no problems with LEOs / BLM this burn. I did feel like sometimes they were driving on open playa in an SUV unnecessarily.

Only thought I put into LE was being sure to hang our license plate on our bikes to make sure they were visible on the way in. I felt like it was a reasonable nod toward obeying the rules even if it was an extra step and the front plate was plenty visible.

Melonblue
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Melonblue » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:25 pm

I had some good interactions with the Rangers and officers.

On the road into town on Sunday the 30th we were all being pushed in (6:00pm in Nixon, arrived playa 5:00pm Monday morning)

The officers kept us entertained with funny stories as they drove by, and when it was time to pulse in, they woke us all up on their megaphones "wakey wakey, time to go make friends on the playa"

I thought it was all really well done.

On Thursday I went for a ride out on J and did see about 10 officers tossing a big rig truck worth of gear on the playa street. But as I rode by they said "good morning, happy Thursday"

I waved and said good morning in return.

On Saturday before the burn I did try to offer them some frozen Otterpops which they declined, politely.

It wasn't until I rode away on my bike that OF COURSE they declined....silly me. But they were really nice about it.

I didn't get any glares or angry faces. They seemed to like their job, even when they had to DO their job.

I dunno, I've been very lucky with law enforcement. I try to obey and abide the law. I label all my kit clearly and have a clipboard with inventory.

I'm sure there are negative stories and I have no doubt some LEO's do take their power too far.

But I didn't have any troubles and appreciated their presence.

peace

Post by peace » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:43 pm

'had a random, charming guy converse with me one night for some twenty minutes, as happens, and I was enjoying the company until he abruptly asked me where he could "buy some molly." I made some sort of joke and he redirected his question until I let him know it was time for him to move on. He could have been an idiot or a cop who really was invested in role play to bust a dusty old timer chilling on the playa. I was in an awkward place between wanting to chew him out and not wanting to be searched. A similar thing happened at a friend's camp and so the joke of the week became the new burning man game show...cop or not a cop? Pretty strange stuff and the solution we came to was offer somebody your water if you weren't sure.

That being said, some ranger friends were talking with me about not the increase of drug use these days, but the recklessness or naiveté of newcomers and mixing drugs with other drugs and booze and harsh environments. They told me that this year they were actually pretty grateful for the leos on the dance camp front lines as a lot of kids were not handling themselves and needed help, especially in the cold predawn. Sadly, I think a lot of the younger ones have grown up in such a protected society that they unconsciously both act out and expect to be taken care of - and the cop culture has filled in that expectation. Thus the lack of outrage.

Happily, or luckily, other than the light sense of paranoia (which sucks) I didn't have a bad leo run in but my rebel days are pretty much behind me anyway.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:55 pm

I drove past a police SUV on the way out of Alturas, CA. Reflexively did a "am I going to get pulled over" check; speed good, driving smooth and straight, no problems. Much to my surprise, I was pulled over anyway! He alerted me to the fact that there were NO lights on the back of my car OR trailer. Whoa! He could see that I was floored. Let me get out and poke around trying to find the problem. No luck. Pointed me to a place with a really wide turnout where I could do a more detailed inspection.

No ticket, just sent me up the road (with hazard lights on) to the gravel turnout. Super polite and knew about Burning Man, was curious about the hexayurt and how it would become a living structure. Sent me on my way, where I stopped at the turnout and discovered that I'd managed to pinch a wire under a bolt while changing the trailer's leaf springs, eventually resulting in an electrical short.

Couldn't have asked for a better interaction.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:13 pm

I saw very few LEO's cruising by camp (5:15 and I), very few. In years past I have felt like they were stalking my camp, but this year the camp drive-bys were not obtrusive.

Friday night my sweetie and I rode over to the Ashram around 8 and were turned away by a late opening due to the dust storm earlier that day. We wondered down to Ali-Bar-Bar and hung out there for awhile while waiting for the 9:30ish Ashram opening. While sitting and enjoying the Stargate view and the cold vodka crans we noticed 5 BLM ranger vehicles all parked around a dark camp kitty corner to the Ali-Bar-Bar (on the 6 o'clock and E corner of Silicon Village, I think). Lights flashing from the trucks, the camp was dark. We never saw an arrest or anything. The ranger trucks were gone when we finished our drink and cruised off down the road.

On Saturday - WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY - we saw a few BLM trucks speeding the trash fence perimeter to get somewhere quick. I was just happy they weren't flying through the playa proper like that. In years past they sure did. Maybe all the complaints actually did something?

On our way out Monday afternoon around 3pm there was an RV and trailer pulled over and being searched. About 5 people were standing by waiting for the search to end.

I didn't have any interactions with the BLM this year. Yay?
In dust we trust.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Some BLM Rangers said "Love the boat!!" and gave me an official BLM frisbee. Cool!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:48 pm

For a moment there, when you said
maladroit wrote:living structure
I had quite a different picture in my head.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:16 pm

One evening we were standing out in front of our camp enticing passersby to come thru our Vortex and a BLM canine unit drove by slowly. We told him he should come and go thru the Vortex and he said OK! He pulled his vehicle over, hopped out and came over, put on a pair of 3D glasses and headed on thru. He came out the other end with a huge grin and thanked us very much, saying he would tell his buddies to come check it out. I had only good and friendly interactions with BLM and Sheriffs all week.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:43 pm

According to this "more than 40 arrests" this year. FWIW (not much, I know)
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:20 pm

We were on 7 and evidently this is a main roadway from the cop shop to the playa. Constant stream of them up and down the road. Witnessed multiple pull overs during pre-event (Thursday, Friday and Saturday). One truck failed to signal when turning at 7&g, then declined to be searched. After a very prolonged sobriety check of driver and all passengers, dogs sniffed all around, then it looked like the kids were worn down and consented to search. Box truck was tossed, completely jacked up, then everyone just drove away. Took about two hours or so. Witnessed multiple stops with dogs immediately brought out. Ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous. Early entry folks should be very aware and very careful. Even if you are carrying NOTHING you are assumed carrying and treated poorly.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:30 pm

I think of it as a gauntlet. :|
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:14 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Some BLM Rangers said "Love the boat!!" and gave me an official BLM frisbee. Cool!
Just imagine their disappointment when you tell them it's not meant for open water. They WANT you to be James Bond, don't cha know.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:23 am

I got one of those too Captain! I think of it as a hippie plate
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:07 pm

I only saw a few cops, despite the reports. I'm about 85% sure I was approached by a plainclothes. Cute little asian girl looking like she just got out of an RV - clean and painfully sober for 2AM on a playa night. "You look like a cool fun guy, do you know where I could get some Ketamine?" "Nope!"
Beware teh snarkasm

kimchi

Post by kimchi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:26 pm

Saw several LEOs in action this year. On Wednesday, I witnessed a man with a chihuahua in a fanny pack being arrested and taken away outside of Distrikt. Not certain of what the arrest was for, but I am assuming it was because of the dog.
On Sunday, our camp was told that BLM was searching camps and vehicles on our block as they were searching for an accused sexual predator. A campmate informed me of the description the officers provided, and later saw the officers talking to a man fitting their description at the camp behind us. He was not under arrest and was talking calmly to several officers. Later, I saw the accused man sitting at his camp and the officers were gone.
My friend's camp, also on Sunday, apparently had some "burners" come into his camp and start asking everyone there if they had any extra "drugs". Shortly after the people asking for drugs left a black van stopped in front of their camp for a moment before moving on.
On the Esplanade, BLM offered us promotional "swag".

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:12 pm

IMG_1368 (480x640).jpg
IMG_1362 (640x334).jpg
About 100 BLM and other officers drove their vehicles to the temple (5 Sept 2015, 6:33 PM) to pay respects to Deputy Sheriff Carl Howell who was murdered in Carson City, NV and 83 other officers killed in 2015.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/22571-deput ... arl-howell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 666isMONEY on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Post by uncle sticky » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:12 pm

I got sassy with some BLM guys in a golf cart on a day tour of our neighborhood as part of our medicine show schtick. Told them they were weak and addicted to choco tacos (strongman costume). they laughed, told me to enjoy MY lands, and gave me a water flask and bandana that were co-branded BLM and Burning Man. They did a really good job of PR at that moment. I was impressed by how well humored they were.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Here's something I've been meaning to report directly to the law enforcement, though it couldn't hurt if they read it here:

I was pulled over for allegedly speeding on 395 in Mono County, the same speed trap I've passed many times in years before. Officer was thorough, polite, patient, and courteous. It sucks to be stopped, but I have zero complaints about that interaction.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:19 am

Moderator note, I split off a discussion here, based on the gofundme link. That sort of fundraising is not allowed, and the resulting discussion kept circling back to it.

The_Mudshark
Burning Since: 2015

Post by The_Mudshark » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:02 pm

666isMONEY wrote:
IMG_1368 (480x640).jpg
IMG_1362 (640x334).jpg
About 100 BLM and other officers drove their vehicles to the temple (5 Sept 2015, 6:33 PM) to pay respects to Deputy Sheriff Carl Howell who was murdered in Carson City, NV and 83 other officers killed in 2015.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/22571-deput ... arl-howell
Ok a thought or two from a 2015 birgin... Thanks for sharing this. Wish I'd known of this memorial and been able to attend. I'm not LE but many of my co-workers and good friends are. A few months ago I attended a memorial for local LEO and friend of a friend killed by a mentally unstable individual he was trying to assist. His life mattered... like all lives do.

From what I saw en route and in BRC, and read here, LE were totally respectful and professional. Yeah a few folks got searched/popped but that number is infinitely small relative to all that could go down. And I'd venture to guess most did something stupid to draw attention. I say this as a former 70-'s longhair who got rousted by The Man all the time.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:22 pm

I watched a small white car get tossed on opening day, Sunday. Looked like the folks were sitting on the ground with packs around them, maybe 4 LEO cars. Saw a big black bus flying a pirate flag out on the play after the Temple Burn getting tossed. Only noticed one group of LEO walking thru crowds this year, but I never made it to any sound anything this year. While out at the trash fence giving away drinks a couple BLM trucks pulled up. I yelled at them to find their own party, drank a cold beer in front of them. Some hippie suggested I offer them a non-alcoholic beverage, I guess as some sort of offering to the gods or masters or whatever. I didn't ride coolers out to the trash fence on my bike to give drinks to guys sitting in air-conditioned vehicles who are there to watch me and punish me if they think I violated whatever. I told the hippie he could do whatever he wanted, which is more than the cops offer, and of course the officers decline the soda. Then the BLM was switched out with the BRC rangers. They made friendly. I told them to find their own party.
bust.jpg
bust2.jpg
presense.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:38 pm

A beautiful desert evening
bust3.jpg
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:50 pm

They're comin' fer your ice money!

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:10 pm

The patches with the BLM/choco taco logo on them were a much-sought after item among the LEOs. I met a BLM interpretive specialist from Alaska one evening at the Hair of the Dog bar, and I gave her a sheet of the choco taco stickers. She loved them, and gave me a pin from Alaska. Nice lady - it turned out she knew a geologist in Anchorage who was a fellow Missouri alumnus that I know, and we had a great conversation that evening.

I met another interpretive specialist the following day, and pointed out to her the locations of the Nobles trail and the Applegate cutoff of the Emigrant Trails. She was impressed, and we had a nice long conversation about the California Trails preservation initiatives, and she clued me in on some areas I didn't know about and stopped to see after the burn. BLM employees aren't all LEOS, and the interpretive types can be really great sources of information on things to do and see after the burn.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

CyanEssence
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:24 pm

I had no interactions with the law, and hardly saw them during the burn, which led me to think that all the talk before the burn was just scare tactics. However, now that the arrest numbers are out, I see that they were serious about upping their numbers.

On my way in on Sunday night/Monday morning (maybe 2am), I saw an old RV pulled over, four or so hippies sitting on the ground outside, a few officers (not sure what agency) going thru the belongings of the hippies, and placing some things into small bags (evidence?). What struck me most was that one of the hippies had a cat on a leash with them.

Do people really put cats on leashes?

I did see a small group of some Black Rock Rangers, ESD Medicals, and Zendos working to calm someone who was clearly disoriented. It looked like they had their hands full, but had it under control. Kudos community volunteers!

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:25 am

CyanEssence wrote:I had no interactions with the law, and hardly saw them during the burn, which led me to think that all the talk before the burn was just scare tactics. However, now that the arrest numbers are out, I see that they were serious about upping their numbers.
Last year, on the gravel, while waiting for the playa to recover from the rain Love told us that year was all about education and the focus would be on warnings rather than citations. This year, anecdotally at least, it appeared otherwise.

FWIW, I thought it was pretty cool that he told a couple of birgins where there was a reasonable expectation of privacy if they were going to engage in anything illegal.

I also had a lengthy conversation with a compliance dude whose focus was on LNT. New to BM, a pretty bright dude, thankful for the reprieve of dealing with wildfires.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:13 am

Personally, I find it fascinating that there are thousands of acres of land being destroyed by wildfires, along with homes and businesses, and compliance officers are ready to write citations for water being leaked on the playa. Last year, I (personally) overheard BLM officers at Earth Guardians say after the torrential rains, "we're gonna have a problem giving out tickets for water on the playa this year".

Return to “Stories”