Law Enforcement in 2105

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Law Enforcement in 2105

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:20 pm

I don't know what here issues with the medics were, but it's worth saying that they are not there to report you for being on whatever drug you may have taken. They are there to help you. Remember that for when you're fucked up--and for when your friends are fucked up and you are the only one around, who knows them, to persuade, accompany and otherwise assist them in making good decisions when they really don't have much available working brain.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:27 am

theCryptofishist wrote: when your friends are fucked up and you are the only one around, who knows them, to persuade, accompany and otherwise assist them in making good decisions when they really don't have much available working brain.
I have come to the conclusion, in my years of working EMS, that the people who get left behind when they are too fucked up to be safe are the people who are not capable of choosing or keeping reliable friends. So yeah when you walk off & leave your "friend" I know exactly what you are saying.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

FreePeacelove
Burning Since: 2013

Post by FreePeacelove » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:29 am

remi wrote:There was a lady that stumbled into our camp that was so drunk, she was in trouble. She was super sick, couldn't speak, was throwing up everywhere. We couldn't get her to a safe place or even find out where she was camping, so we called rangers who had medics come by. At this time, we couldn't really communicate with her, but she was able to clearly state that she did not want to be helped by medics. Her health deteriorated and she wasn't doing anything to help the situation, so the medics came back and this time they ruled she was not healthy enough to make correct decisions regarding her health, so they had to restrain her and take her away against her wishes.

This, I believe was Friday afternoon at the Space Gnomes camp at 230 & E.

Thats a sick story. :D but happens too often...
Twain: We have the best government that money can buy.

Churchill: We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:49 pm

It would be valuable to know the legal structure at the event for medical reporting. Most health care providers in the default world have individually signed patient agreements that allow specific disclosure of personal medical data beyond what HIPPA would allow. Meanwhile the Burning Man medical provider presumably provides anonymous medical statistics to BMORG and to LEO/BLM. That is seen in the BLM 2014 event memo noting reported GHB incidents, as well as other alterants, knowingly or unknowingly ingested.

You never want someone to die or have a more serious than otherwise health issue. But who says what to who should be spelled out, and designed to encourage the use of medical services, rather than discourage.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Mr Reezla
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp Air Hair Lair

Post by Mr Reezla » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:32 am

There are dedicated volunteers in the CIT team who are there for people who have mental health issuses be they permanent or temporary. They are professionals who are there to provide an interface between the default and BM worls that people can trust... Big call out to the CIT team!

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023