So, how dusty was it?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Hope-a-Lope
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

So, how dusty was it?

Post by Hope-a-Lope » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:49 pm

2015 was my third burn. I'm told 2013 and 2014 (my 1st and 2nd) were very mild in terms of weather and dustiness. I'm curious: to those who have been to, say, 5+ burns, would you say 2015 was average? Dustier than usual?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: So, how dusty was it?

Post by Token » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:18 pm

What was your impression?

Did it influence your experience in any way?

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:55 pm

This was my 16th and hard to remember a year in which the dust was so pervasive,at least in the day time,day after day. Way overdue I suppose but certainly put a damper on my experience this year.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Token

Post by Token » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:40 am

Strong El Niño summer does strange things to the west coast.

Could have been worse.

The monsoon stayed fairly calm and tracked just east of the area.

Gonna be a fun winter this year.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Re: So, how weird was it?

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:32 am

If you have to ask....

Hope-a-Lope
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Post by Hope-a-Lope » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Token wrote:What was your impression?

My impression was, "Well, guess we were lucky the past two years."

How it influenced my burn... I spent a little more time sheltered in camp, drinking and shooting the shit with friends. The dust was surprisingly tiring, mentally and physically. Several times when we were out in white-outs we did our best to just keep on going, and it did give a more adventurous spirit to the whole week, but we did reach a point of "fuck it, let's go back to camp" a few times. But more chill days left me energized for longer nights, when it was usually calmer. I also noticed some daytime hotspots like Pink Mammoth and Distrikt were less crowded late in the week. Could have been a fluke, but we wondered if the dust was getting to people and they weren't leaving camp as much.

All my burns have been wonderful, and they have all been different. The dust didn't make it better or worse, just changed a few of the dynamics. I'm already looking forward to 2016!

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Hope-a-Lope wrote:
Token wrote:What was your impression?

My impression was, "Well, guess we were lucky the past two years."

How it influenced my burn... I spent a little more time sheltered in camp, drinking and shooting the shit with friends. The dust was surprisingly tiring, mentally and physically. Several times when we were out in white-outs we did our best to just keep on going, and it did give a more adventurous spirit to the whole week, but we did reach a point of "fuck it, let's go back to camp" a few times. But more chill days left me energized for longer nights, when it was usually calmer. I also noticed some daytime hotspots like Pink Mammoth and Distrikt were less crowded late in the week. Could have been a fluke, but we wondered if the dust was getting to people and they weren't leaving camp as much.

All my burns have been wonderful, and they have all been different. The dust didn't make it better or worse, just changed a few of the dynamics. I'm already looking forward to 2016!

I didn't make it this year. I was surprised to start seeing VERY dusty cars and RVs returning to SF as early as Friday afternoon.

I believe it was 2008 that the 8+ hour white out storm on Saturday was so intense that the man burn was delayed by several hours. That was the first year I saw camps literally gone off the Esplanade before the man even burned. People were so miserable they all packed up and left. That year was dusty the whole week as I recall, and Saturday was just the icing on the weather shit cake. I still had a good time though. Some people can take it, some cant. Hopefully this year will cause some shakeout of the weak from the herd.

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Not only was the man burn delayed in 2008, but remember how dust stormy the Temple burn was, too? Plus the city was extra big for the amount of people there, so there was a ton of empty space. I actually got lost on the way back from the temple burn, lost my friends, and then my el wire flower beacon I was carrying flickered out like a lightbulb and I had to almost feel my way back. The only thing I could recognize on the esplanade was Jub Jub's Plastic Circus' weird green LED trailer park shape thing and that somehow got me back to my camp the dust was so thick. It rocked all night, I spent sunday night tucked up in neighbors little trailer bunk listening to french indie rock and eating pizza toppings. Good times. Stayed at camp a lot that year but I was on the Esplanade so I didn't feel too claustrophobic in the storms.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:06 am

RedHeaven wrote:Not only was the man burn delayed in 2008, but remember how dust stormy the Temple burn was, too? Plus the city was extra big for the amount of people there, so there was a ton of empty space. I actually got lost on the way back from the temple burn, lost my friends, and then my el wire flower beacon I was carrying flickered out like a lightbulb and I had to almost feel my way back. The only thing I could recognize on the esplanade was Jub Jub's Plastic Circus' weird green LED trailer park shape thing and that somehow got me back to my camp the dust was so thick. It rocked all night, I spent sunday night tucked up in neighbors little trailer bunk listening to french indie rock and eating pizza toppings. Good times. Stayed at camp a lot that year but I was on the Esplanade so I didn't feel too claustrophobic in the storms.
It was 2009 when the Man burn got delayed. I only know this for sure because it was the year we brought an art car and we were huddled up in a friend's trailer waiting for the all clear, after which we hopped in the art car, drove out to watch the burn, then headed straight back to camp.

My son just got back, only his 2nd time, but he couldn't believe how dusty it was this year. And I've been hearing from long-timers that the dust this year was the worst (best?) they've ever seen. I'm all for it, a nice cleanser from Mother Nature.

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:36 am

vargaso wrote:
It was 2009.
2008 for sure, and this pretty much sums it up:
[media]

The Burn was delayed in 2009, and 2010 also I believe due to a dust storm. Although those weren't quite as intense though as the one in 2008, and I think the concerns in 2009 and 2010 were more about wind + fire than white out conditions.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 am

The Dust was very punctual! (for dust)

Untill the calm on Saturday it would arrive between 10 and 11 AM, and continue till late afternoon.

Sometimes right into the night.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Token

Post by Token » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:09 am

The dust would have been my kind of year. I'm weird that way. Never let a good whiteout go to waste.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:26 pm

Seemed pretty bad from what I remember (going since 2009) Some of my best memories are heading out into a dust storm on my bike. I didn't have the motivation to do that this year, after the all day storm on saturday before gates opened. Cold temps later in the week kept me from staying out really late at night.

I did have a lot of fun hanging out in camp with friends and drinking beer, but that could have been accomplished if we had gone to Lake Tahoe or stayed in Reno. :D

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:31 pm

I've only been to five burns but this was definitely the dustiest I've experienced. I loved it. It was a different kind of burn for sure but we had great camp mates and amazing neighbors that we spent hours huddled up with under our shade structure during the dust storms. Lots of laughs and interesting conversations. By far the fewest hours I've spent riding around the city but a great and memorable (and dusty) year.

Oh yeah, plus the dust made for great pictures:

danibel

Post by danibel » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:49 pm

My first year was 2009 and I remember getting stuck in a white out in deep playa and having to just sit down and pray I didn't get hit by a car or bike stupid enough to be driving around out there (like I was). Sunday was another very dusty day. The man burn was delayed because of wind.

Then we had a few really good years where there was some wind, but very little dust. Last year my camp stayed pretty dust free, but off in the distance of the playa you could see clouds of dust. Campmates that tried to venture came back really dusty and ready for happy hour.

I arrived this year on Wednesday and waited for quite awhile to set up my shade. In the Friday fun-ness we got to see just how well designed the shade structure is. The finger tightened thingies leave a bit to be desired.

All my stuff from this year is WAY more dusty than years past, including my van. Saturday was beautiful though. I enjoyed every minute of my art crawl in deep playa.
In dust we trust.

Raoul
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Post by Raoul » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:32 pm

This was only my second burn, so obviously the most dust for me. But, I gotta say that I thoroughly enjoyed walking around in the dust storms throughout the week. It did get a bit exhausting by Friday, but I wouldn't have traded it. Watching shadowy people, bicycles, etc. emerge from the dust and then disappear into again just as quickly was very surreal. One of those experiences you couldn't create if you were trying.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Nothing makes me feel more like a badass then heading a lamplighting procession as it appears through the dust.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Token

Post by Token » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:38 pm

Oddly enough...

Most of Asia Minor under a two day whiteout that is flooding the Meditaranean and Southern Europe.

Talk about one big dust storm.

Joeln
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:57 pm

God I loved this years burn.
I ate drank, breathed, slept and was covered with dust from Saturday morning onwards.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

1durphul

Post by 1durphul » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:32 pm

Joeln wrote:God I loved this years burn.
I ate drank, breathed, slept and was covered with dust from Saturday morning onwards.
That's the spirit!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:08 am

I've been going a long time, and I'd say it was miserably dusty as fuck.
Made me think my way cheaper and easier plan of going to Hawaii like last year was a damn good one.
If you're just camped, walking or with a bike, maybe it's adventurous.
If you're one of the people bringing a lot of the big infrastructure - generators, compressors, tools, art cars, sound gear, etc. - then this much blowing dirt is expensive. It trashes your stuff and makes you say fuck this shit.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:20 am

It was often dusty but not the 75 mile an hour winds that destroy everyone's camp. (Dust pocalypse). I don't mind it at all except during set-up and tear-down.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 am

It was dusty as fuck
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

nilasnake

Post by nilasnake » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:15 am

dust minus the intense heat was tolerable. though putting down tarps or carpet was useless.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:35 am

I was wishing we had 'remembered the broom' on monday. I kept our canvas and rug "clean" by dusting it off with a bit of fur ratty left at an early east bay meetup.

The canvas and rug were completely dusted by Thursday, and no longer worth any kind of maintenance. Even with the dusty winds, it was much better to have these than tarp or open playa.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:51 am

Definitely the dustiest year I remember (though 2010 had some long storms on our side, the winds weren't as strong, and 2007 wasn't as consistent. Conveniently I missed '08 & '09)). Saw lost shade structures, tons of delayed camps from pre-Gate Saturday's endless blow - but our utili-gay & utili-bro still build our little dome in the middle of it, because ego (as they admit).

I listened to the warnings about the cold, so I was totally prepared for Thurs - Sat and had a blast, though I was on the 'wind-edge' for Rocky Horror (hi AntiM & MyLarry) and that got a bit chilly. On Sat we just headed in for a cuddle puddle after the Man burn. Some nights you don't need to be outside...
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:00 am

I was deep-playa Friday during a good wind. "Embrace the suck", they said. Wasn't so bad. I did, however, get tired of the dust on everything. Made for a "weird" year. What got me was the cold. Fuck it was cold Friday and Saturday nights. I am usually out til 4-5 AM every night at "the music", this year I was in bed before 1. Will be more prepared for next year, as in: bring a fucking winter jacket.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:38 am

vargaso wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:Not only was the man burn delayed in 2008, but remember how dust stormy the Temple burn was, too? Plus the city was extra big for the amount of people there, so there was a ton of empty space. I actually got lost on the way back from the temple burn, lost my friends, and then my el wire flower beacon I was carrying flickered out like a lightbulb and I had to almost feel my way back. The only thing I could recognize on the esplanade was Jub Jub's Plastic Circus' weird green LED trailer park shape thing and that somehow got me back to my camp the dust was so thick. It rocked all night, I spent sunday night tucked up in neighbors little trailer bunk listening to french indie rock and eating pizza toppings. Good times. Stayed at camp a lot that year but I was on the Esplanade so I didn't feel too claustrophobic in the storms.
It was 2009 when the Man burn got delayed. I only know this for sure because it was the year we brought an art car and we were huddled up in a friend's trailer waiting for the all clear, after which we hopped in the art car, drove out to watch the burn, then headed straight back to camp.

My son just got back, only his 2nd time, but he couldn't believe how dusty it was this year. And I've been hearing from long-timers that the dust this year was the worst (best?) they've ever seen. I'm all for it, a nice cleanser from Mother Nature.
Nope, 2008. They cancelled the fire conclave performance, and we were stuck inside the perimeter with a full fuel cart, next to the crowd. Most nearby were very good about not smoking, except for the dick who put his ciggie out on MyLarry's forehead. I thought the conclave was going to do a little performance art on the guy's ass.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:48 am

Eric wrote:Definitely the dustiest year I remember (though 2010 had some long storms on our side, the winds weren't as strong, and 2007 wasn't as consistent. Conveniently I missed '08 & '09)). Saw lost shade structures, tons of delayed camps from pre-Gate Saturday's endless blow - but our utili-gay & utili-bro still build our little dome in the middle of it, because ego (as they admit).

I listened to the warnings about the cold, so I was totally prepared for Thurs - Sat and had a blast, though I was on the 'wind-edge' for Rocky Horror (hi AntiM & MyLarry) and that got a bit chilly. On Sat we just headed in for a cuddle puddle after the Man burn. Some nights you don't need to be outside...

We were delayed coming in on Saturday, three hours at Gate; then when we got to our spot, barely got part of the shelter up. Basically huddled in chairs with our masks and goggles, and got buried in dust. Someone wouldn't listen to me, and took the coolers out (it will be too hot in the truckbed, they said), and dust seeped into them. So there was a new chore, emptying the dusty ice out, wiping down the containers and food bags, and refilling the coolers. argh.

I had my furry coat on stage at RHPS, I would slip it on and off my shoulders. Larry was in his onsie, so that alright. But I felt really bad for everyone else in lingerie. Fuck, that was cold. But it was a great show!

On Burn night, even though we had winter coats, my foot was bothering me so much in the cold, Larry just stuck me in the tent. I listened to the fireworks and the crowd. Good enough burn I didn't need to see the Man go down.

skippy3k
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Post by skippy3k » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:45 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:rators, compressors, tools, art cars, sound gear, etc. - then this much blowing dirt is expensive. It trashes your stuff and makes you say fuck this shit.
x2. The one year I decide to "go big". Sheesh. Traded the RV for hexayurts, built an art car, expanded our camp size, outside showering, etc. And to bring a virgin along with us as well. (Although to be fair, he had a pretty good attitude about it. Though I could see him getting that "you gotta be fucking kidding me" look on his face near the end.)
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

Return to “Stories”