So, how dusty was it?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: So, how dusty was it?

Post by Ano » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:04 am

Dust kicked my ass this year. I've always just used either a bandana or a shemagh and been fine, even while working the gate in ultra dusty conditions.

After a few days on some of the dustiest shifts I've ever seen (shutting down traffic pretty often!), I was coughing and wheezing and felt totally plugged up. It was nasty.

What ended up fixing me was wearing an actual dust mask rather than a bandana or shemagh. A bandana/shemagh will work to a certain point for most people, but I realized I need a real mask for serious dust. Once I switched to an N100 mask I felt so much better. I even went out in that crazy Tuesday night dust storm and had an absolute blast. Nothing quite like getting so utterly lost on the open playa and then realizing a few hours later when the dust dies down that we were wandering in a big circle. Very disorienting.

I'm making an investment in a real respirator/mask for next year. My disposable masks worked fine, but a good one would be much nicer.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:57 am

That's why I carry a compass!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ChicoTerri
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: XJoy, Home of Playa Mart

Post by ChicoTerri » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:29 pm

Our little camp fared pretty well, though it did majorly cut into the time we were out and about. We had 2 old rvs with 2 Costco carports between them. We used all the side and door pieces, and many extra layers to try to block dust. Every afternoon about a half inch still swirled in and settled on everything. I wonder if closing the place up just trapped the dust inside. I have a plan to modify the carports, given that I can find the use of an industrial sewing machine or hire someone to make my mods. Early mornings and evenings were good, afternoons kinda sucked Tuesday through Friday. I used a few different goggles/mask combos. My husband uses respirators and full face masks in his work so we had those. I will say the respirators, even when new and properly fitted, make it much harder to breathe when pumping around on a bike. My best combo was motorcycle goggles and the little disposable dust masks with the valve, the ones sans valve were useless.
Welcome to Playa Mart! You forgot it? We've got it.

“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.”

“You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans.”

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:11 pm

As a former burgin, I'd have to say the dust this year was annoying, but not as bad as the few windstorms. Getting woken up Thursday morning pre-event with people screaming about this was disturbing:
That was one seriously out-of-control geodesic dome rolling through the neighborhood that caused this. Thankfully, no one was hurt (as far as I heard), but there was a fair amount of damage.

The dust used up all my N95 masks by Tuesday; boy, was I glad I packed my old souvenir shemaghs. What ticked me off the most was never getting to ride an art car; I was over at Jankytown Thursday for their liar's art tour, and the dust moved in. After 2 and a half hours, I finally gave up waiting for the dust to stop so they could take their art car out and run their tour.

Though the dust was fun Friday pre-event when it was my turn to cook camp dinner, and I decided to host dinner inside my RV, and insisted each person coming in be vacuumed off (to try to reduce the dust on my sofa that some guest might need to sleep on, and on people's plates of food). It came to be a camp in-joke, as every dinner time that was dusty ended up in my RV with the vacuum cleaner roaring. :-) Need to get some more vacuum cleaner bags....

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:46 am

A couple of days it was so dusty that there was an accumulation of 1/8" (+/-) of dust on the dining tables in the commissary. God knows how much was in the food, but the amazing staff there does their best. I imagine a little dust in the chow wouldn't hurt anybody.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:00 am

Our end of the carport was more closed off for privacy; we had deeper dust piles. We'd learned long ago that letting the dust blow through the shade structure meant less build up, but this year the wind driven dust even seeped into our coolers the first day pre-event. I have custom covers for them, but hadn't gotten those out before the whiteout prevented unloading the trailer.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:57 am

Every now and then even a blind hog finds and acorn.

I was pleasantly surprised that my new little egg-style trailer had scant to little dust inside. Not that I really believed them when they told me, the company advised me that because of the fiberglass design that their trailers were built as air-tight as possible and this seems to be true. For this, I was/am very grateful.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Return to “Stories”