2015 Highlights.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
econnnn
Burning Since: 2015

2015 Highlights.

Post by econnnn » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:36 pm

So, what was your highlight?

Mine was the Sunday morning cookout on the remnants of the man. I was helping grab coals from the main fire for people to cook bacon and eggs and lamb and veggies and whatever else had been brought out. My campmates and I cooked a bunch of bacon and gave it out to random people passing by. It was the perfect capstone to my first burn.

somebodys-mom
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp 511. We provide your traffic info

Re: 2015 Highlights.

Post by somebodys-mom » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:08 pm

My highlight was serendipitously camping next to Grateful Floyd and being adopted in. Last year's burn was all about seeing and doing ALL THE THINGS but this year, the group at Grateful Floyd (Greatful Floyd, whichever spelling you prefer) simply made my burn. It was all about the people I met and friendships that we started that made the burn for me.

My most surreal Burning Man moment was sitting in camp having a refreshing adult beverage and seeing a horse art car sliding by with a flaming house car in pursuit. I just looked up and grinned and said "THAT is Burning Man, right there" because everyone around it just treated the sight as just another day on the playa. :)
Beware of inviting trouble. It usually accepts.

Akela
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Kamp Suckie Fuckaye

Post by Akela » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:18 am

econnnn, that Sunday morning party at the man's ashes is one of my favorite traditions of the burn. I stay up all night and head there in the morning because I know it will be amazing. Last year, some close friends rolled out their mobile bar, and we made boozy, slushy cocktails with the last of their frozen fruit, while Giraffe Guy (a legend, as you now surely know) brought the funky beats. This year we didn't have the full bar, but we still made bloody marys with all the fixings for a TON of people. Bartending at that party makes me happier than anything, and I spend hours dancing around, pouring drinks and meeting people. This year I talked for about half an hour with a woman probably 30 years my senior, because she recognized me from a photo she took exactly a year prior of me grinning and making her a drink. You seriously picked the spot to be that day for perfect vibes, and I encourage everyone to do the same in the future.

I had a few other highlights in addition to that. One was surprising my girlfriend of six years with a scenic sunrise flight over the playa, courtesy of Captain James Kirk (who I contacted through eplaya). Another was orchestrating a secret party that same evening with tons of friends in order to publicly propose to said girlfriend. I got on a microphone, everyone (including myself) cried, and it all worked out pretty damn fantastically.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:36 am

Mine was marrying two fellow Eplayans monday night. In a funeral home. On the playa. By flashlight. With ad lib'd vows and a racously wonderful bunch of folks from Oz. And a certain flower girl (Yay!, cough-couch) who kept squeezing my ass all through the ceremony. :mrgreen:

Then we brought them over to our camp and Beams fed all 100 of our guests gumbo. Whooo hoooo!!!!

Then the lights went out from too much booze and I woke up the next morning hung-over and happy!!!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:59 am

Grey, that wedding was also a highlight for me;
you were the perfect balance of gravitas and snark, the ass grabs were merely to keep you on track :mrgreen:

I wound up randomly being the flower girl at another wedding, on Friday at the Temple; the bride's bouquet was interesting, but lacked flora.
I'd been wearing those left in my hair after the first wedding all week, and came to the rescue! So fun!! :D

I think perhaps my biggest highlight was hosting a MeetnGreet for all of the folks I have lived with over the years in BRC;
so many amazing people in one place, so many hugs, so much love.

YAY!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:10 pm

If I yank the thread of nearly every high-light this year it goes back to eplaya.

A great camp run by very competent, fun, forgiving people, the M&G too multi-wonderful to describe (I call it dinner and a drink for Tuesday), the art stuff I participated in, the web of connections. One day I ran into 4 different people and it came up that we knew each other thru eplaya. Out running some ladies to the Temple i spy a sign offering Ice Cold Drinks. I chat with the proprietor about playa bar info and it turns out to be eplayan mgb327! Out of all the dusty bars on the playa, I walked up to his! Ate delicious food, hit the absinthe, hugged fabulous people (not Simon, anyone who says different is a damn liar), bragged to people about my gluing skills, draped myself in silk, oh, the list goes on and on... but they go back to people here.

Thanks.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Yes LonesomeBri, I have told the story 20 times now...about running into you out of 70,000 people. WTF, huh? It was great to finally meet you, and the M&G was great. I gave out about 800 drinks during the week, received prolly 400 hugs. What a fucking burn. Each year gets better.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

ignium
Burning Since: 2015

Post by ignium » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:47 am

After having attended, survived and loved my first burn, listing one "highlight" seems like an impossibility.

But one of the coolest things that happened occurred on Saturday afternoonish. My brother and I were giving away "fresh-packaged" cookies. A woman road by with a gallon of milk she was going to gift to a coffee camp. After a few minutes she returned, as the coffee camp had closed. So, for the next hour or so the three of us gave away milk and cookies (5:45 & I). The expressions on people's faces as they relived childhood dipping their cookies in milk was amazing. It was hilarious watching people almost cry with tears of joy drinking a non-alcoholic cold beverage. Forces willing we will all be back next year with many more cookies and much more milk.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Do check the food permit stipulations, please.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:25 pm

The ePlaya meet'n'greet has always been the highlight of the burn for me, and this year, added to that was camping with my amazing sister, Delle and her extremely mellow Mr. Mellow, and joining us was our fellow ePlayan, Tatonka. We had a great time together, despite the dust and wind, laughing at all the motorhomes and campers quitting on Wednesday and Thursday. (bunch'a wimps)

To top all that, FIGJAM invited me as his guest for a flight over the city! We went up Friday morning, not very windy but a bit chilly. That was something I never expected to have the privilege of experiencing. Our pilot was called Aviator, and had offered the ride to FIGJAM in appreciation of the FIGJAM Cooler. Suffice it to say, I was flabbergasted when I was invited to go along! Thank you, FIGJAM and thank you Aviator!!

So, ya... if it was really better next year, I can't wait! :mrgreen:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Roy333

Post by Roy333 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Going by a ring of plastic barrels set up on the playa one day, having no idea what they were supposed to be.
Coming back a couple of days later seeing people playing a cool beat on them with the attached drum sticks I had previously missed. Finding one of the few remaining open drums and joining in, while a man from one side of the circle went to the center and danced to the beat, soon joined by a woman from the other side of the circle.

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:42 pm

On Tuesday night I was riding around on a friend's art car. It was a smaller sized one, with no sound system and just lots of cushioned surfaces for people to sit on. We sipped some of the pineapple jug wine I made, and picked up some folks here and there. After driving around for a while, we came across a group of three or four people in street clothes, dragging wheeled luggage with them. We offered them a ride, which they gladly accepted.

We asked them where they were from (I forget where, but I think it may have been Spain). They then told us that they had taken a taxi from Reno to Gate (anyone know how much that costs?), and then walked from Gate to where we found them at about 8:15 and D. We asked where they were going. Their answer: 8:30 and D.

We all had a good laugh. The best part about this was that these were virgins, and they had zero complaints about what they had just done to get to their camp! In fact, they were in pretty good spirits.

My hats off to that resilient bunch!

skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Post by skippy3k » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:28 am

CyanEssence's highlight made me remember one of ours. This was the first year we brought a mutant vehicle to the playa, a small-ish opium den car. I had many fears being a first time MV driver, namely something breaking or asshats jumping and annoying us. Despite my fears, everything worked flawlessly....except we hated the choice of music we brought. Literally every song we had made us cringe. Anyway, by mid-week we stopped playing music and just drove, which really changed the experience for us. As for asshats ruining our ride? Non-existent. As it turned out, we couldn't have had a better list of passengers. Those two kids who were our first passengers about 5 minutes after we got licensed...the nicest kids ever. Then the slightly odd but very entertaining lady who was pulling a medical supply cart that said it contained insulin but in fact contained peanuts, and the most beautiful girl from Norway and her equally beautiful and maybe boyfriend from California who both probably had the best energy and outlook on life that when they finally jumped off, we almost wanted to follow them wherever they were going. (So that's how cult leaders come about...hmmm...)

Our ranger friend got sick mid-week and I was pressed into quasi-ambulance duty, which made me feel useful and happy. But the biggest surprise was the number of people who complimented us on the art car. We were very small fish in a very, very big pond, but we somehow still resonated with people on our design. It made the previous 9 months of building it very worthwhile.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:16 am

For me it's always the Eplaya M&G. It's the only event I never miss.

I love seeing all you fuckos in person, meeting new eplayans, and actually eating something that didn't come out of a can midweek.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Morrell
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Morrell » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:59 am

One, of many, highlight was taking my burgins to the foam camp and seeing the looks of childish delight as we were all "foamed" and "hosed". Our burgin from the UK said she hadn't squealed like that since she was a child! Priceless!

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:33 am

My 2015 highlight and I think it was Friday night. I was triking alone on the deep playa and I heard this funky kick-ass and raunchy old time gospel music coming from somewhere way away in the dark.

I motored in the direction of the music for about ten minutes and found a truck with a decorated cab, and a large lighted canopy over the long back bed. On the bed of the truck was a drummer, two guitarists, an electric piano & player, two female singers and a few hanger-on riders.

One singer had a voice somewhere between Janis Joplin and Grace Slick and the other vocalist had to have had training singing operatic arias. These were not armature singers and musicians, they had to be professional. They girls sang both solo and duets.

The funky kick-ass old time gospel music was sung to a rhythm that seemed to me to be a combination of Bo Diddelys jungle beat and Credence Clearwater Revival.

It was not only I who was mesmerized by their music. The truck would move along and stop at different places - always followed by at least 100 bikes.

No matter what I plan each year, it is always a serendipitous happening that knock my socks right off my feet.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Post by CyanEssence » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:48 am

Meat Hunter wrote:No matter what I plan each year, it is always a serendipitous happening that knock my socks right off my feet.
This is so true. My friends all wondered why I volunteered for an 8-hour shift, 2-10pm on Man Burn night.

My response was that my peak experience at BM has always been some awesome and bizarre moment on some random street, during some random part of the day, with some people I just met, the Man Burn has never been the climax for me.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Highlight: My wedding. Tuesday at sunset one year to the (burning man) day that I met and "playa" married my now-husband. Sixty friends all in bride's gowns, all those sixty friends posed on Panorama for the wedding party picture of the century, sixty bottles of champagne chilled and polished off in three hours flat. 25 pounds of Bouef Bourgignon, two huge salad bowls, and 60 pickled eggs, demolished in minutes. The most epic, memorable party of all my burns.

Second place: Finally getting that one friend to go to Burning Man. That friend who just IS a burner, but never knew it. Listening to his tune change from "Burning Man is stupid" to "next year I'm gonna..." by day two.

marcmerlin

Post by marcmerlin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 pm

For me, it was:
1) the ceiling of colored ping pong balls paired with classical music
2) the very sweet purple disco style lights on the playa (close to 3:30?)
3) the nail gun shooting gallery
4) pedal bump
5) the best roller coaster on the playa

If you missed some of those, or are not sure what I mean, you'll find pictures here (along with many others): http://marc.merlins.org/perso/bm/2015/

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks, marcmerlin! Great pictures!

I missed more than usual this year, partly due to the winds and dust, and partly due to not being as well as usual, even to the point of wondering in early August if I should go at all. (Glad I did go... managed to survive quite well anyway)

One could get lost for hours, just looking at your pictures.
Thanks for sharing them!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Return to “Stories”