stuff i learned on or first burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Re: stuff i learned on or first burn

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Example of air gap allowing heated air to escape.

Kidding.

With this arrangement, this rolling solar oven never gets too warm for comfort. Huge difference from the tarp being draped directly against the bus.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Elliot! Thanks for the pics and info :).

My major, main problem with the mylar blanket was securing it in place - I had lots of loops/fastening rigged up with duct tape on the mylar and zip ties on my tent poles (they're external) but by the end of the week, with all of the wind and dust the maylar was partly detached and flapping around. Nice thing about tarps is that they come with grommeted holes already installed; making holes in mylar (I'm imagining a hole punch through two pieces of duct tape, one on each side?) is a lot of work when tarps aren't *that* expensive.

As regards needing a wind gap, you're totally right and had I successfully secured the mylar in place it could have been improved with a wind gap. If I go with tarps this year I think I might rig up a couple of struts, one at each end of my tent, to elevate the tarp a bit and provide room for airflow. This idea will be tested as soon as it stops being winter in Canada and I can hang out in my backyard for more than 5 minutes without gloves on 8) .

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:45 am

Long ago, our campmates decided to tape mylar blankets to the top of their new carport. The mylar did indeed shred in the wind, but before it dd, it baked and blinded our neighbors on the other side. The mylar experiment has not been repeated, we string UV blocking bedsheets inside the shade structure instead.

cranberries
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:42 am

AntiM wrote:Long ago, our campmates decided to tape mylar blankets to the top of their new carport. The mylar did indeed shred in the wind, but before it dd, it baked and blinded our neighbors on the other side. The mylar experiment has not been repeated, we string UV blocking bedsheets inside the shade structure instead.
Another vote for no mylar! I am going to tell the person who recommended mylar to me last year that he's officially on glue. Lol. And put a lot more work in on my own this year researching proper shade for tents. I'm limited in my total Burn supply load by what I can haul in the Subaru, but shade is definitely a priority!

silvergirl70
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Sat May 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Wow, great thread. I was just reviewing 1st impressions so I could remember about packing for the burn this year. I was a virgin burner last year, and really looking forward to 2016! I'm coming from the Midwest, and left a lot of stuff (including tent) with a CA friend, but logistics are still a bitch when you are flying, not driving.
Helpful things:
Lighting: I brought a variety of lighting sources, small LED 'lamp' for tent, LED flashlights that clip to things for spot lighting, headlamp for nighttime bathroom (where would YOU put your flashlight in a portapotty? haha) headlight for bike specially good for deep playa night rides, and bike lighting (el wire) to avoid hitting others. I found bike spoke lighting on ebay for cheap, and it looks cool.
Battery compatibility: I read this somewhere, and committed it to memory. Cant be stressed enough. Try to get all your schtuff using the same battery type, e.g. AA or whatever. Bring a spare bunch of that type of battery. Saves headaches. Also, bring a jumper cable for your car. Know how to use it. Last year, I taught several people how to jump their cars. Its not rocket surgery, but I was surprised how many people didn't know! While you're at it, learn how to change your tires if you get a flat. Ha. I just did this on the way to the airport in a rental car and still made my flight.
Foot stuff: I got a whole pack of good socks and just changed daily. Wore the same 'sleeping pair' every night to keep feet warm. Had a pair of old crocs as 'camp shoes'. Easy to slip on at 4 AM to walk to portapotty. I had a few pairs of boots. I found that boots are a huge pain in the ass unless they have a zipper for ease of in/out. I don't know how people could go barefoot without all their moisture leaving the body through the feet, and slamming into rebar: trust me, I volunteered at the medical tent, and I saw PLENTY of rebar injuries: this is a real killjoy for the week. Also, bring your own personal first aid kit with stuff you might need (bandaids, chapstick, ibuprofen, ace wrap etc)
Clothing: Pack to minimize extra. Have one really warm hip jacket/coat for night. Make it visible with lighting. Bring long underwear. Doesn't take up much space, is form fitting, and really helps to layer under anything at night. I was really surprised about how cold it was at night. I brought too many 'outfits' that I didn't wear, and wish I didn't. I ended up wearing the same thing several times, with spot cleaning. Everything gets dusty, and I ended up not caring. That being said, unless going commando, it feels good to have fresh underwear after a high tech baby wipe bath. Accessorize with scarves (male or female) and everything looks different. Bring cheap gloves for warmth.
Dust management: Good goggles a must. I looked up ATV and motorcycle types, and found what I needed online. An old pair of ski goggles with good foam might do the trick if you aren't sure. Forget the bullshit cool looking 'steampunk' goggles, they are for sparklepony pictures and don't keep out the dust. I gifted less expensive goggles for those in need last year. I also bought a Velcro neoprene N-95 facemask but I bet the disposable white pack from home depot would work as well. At the medical tents we saw tons of dust-related complaints: dust in eyes, dust inhaled...dust. In the immortal words of Dr. Bronner: keep out of eye, dilute, dilute, OK!!
Salt: I was craving salt. My favorite thing on the playa, bar none, was a loaded bloody mary with pickles etc. Unreal. This year I am bringing packs of marinated olives, and a jar of small pickles. I drank tons of water as well. I brought extra water, because I thought I was going to shower, but it didn't happen. Too much dust sticking to you afterwards. Not worth the trouble.
Tent storage: this was specific to me, a *ta da* tent user. I had a cot, so I could store stuff underneath in plastic bins with lids. I used a collapsible clothes rack to hang stuff on. We strung rope across the inside of the tent and hung lamps, goggles etc. on it with carabiners. I used tons of these oversized twist ties coated in rubber (home depot sells them : Night Ize Gear Tie
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-Gea ... /203628170
to tie stuff together. Everything was collapsible, and packed flat. Not expensive.
Bike lock: use one. Lock front wheel to bike frame so that it is unrideable. Most thefts are opportunistic. Along the same line, it was awesome to take an old square milk crate and tie it to the handlebars to carry stuff in.
Pack Smart: You pack carefully when you leave for the event: when you're done/tired/hungover/sunburned, your stuff seems to have grown in volume and doesn't fit in the car/van. Good to lay out a tarp (e.g. tent underlayment) and put all your packed stuff on it, then plan your car packing on egress. Better than repacking or having to tie grandma to the roof. Bring lots of tiedowns, rope. Good to use duffels or stuff saks for anything that you can compress; easy to move, tucks away during event etc. Also, plastic bins labeled, with tight lids are good. If too big, they are hard to move around. Bring as much stuff e.g. food in non-glass, collapsible or stackable containers to save space. Carrying out heavy, leaky, broken glass trash really sucks.
OK...my friends make fun of me because I always 'over prepare' for things...but then they're asking me to borrow stuff all the time. The spouse is getting on my case for typing so much. See you at the burn!!
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Sat May 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Good Read! Good Info!

But the guy observed driving in rebar with a rubber mallet had be cracking up!!

Incorrect quote: "Someone intervened before he bounced off his face." LOLOLOLOL ....... My dog was concerned..... :lol:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Return to “Stories”