faux rangering....

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

faux rangering....

Postby mooserider » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:55 am

Although it was totally unintentional, I apparently was a Faux Black Rock Ranger this year. Just because I was wearing khakis and a Tilley camp hat, and was carrying a radio (heck, at one time I was carrying four radios), people kept stopping me to ask for directions or help as if I was a Ranger.

The scores for how many times I was mistaken for a Ranger:

Monday - 3
Tuesday - 4
Wednesday - 6
Thursday - 9
Friday - 1

The best one was the last one on Thursday, when I happened to pass by Ranger HQ on the Esplanade, stopped to see what the meeting was about (it was a recruiting meeting for next year's rangers), and a ranger supervisor mistook me for a ranger. That was priceless!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: faux rangering....

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:13 am

mooserider wrote:Although it was totally unintentional, I apparently was a Faux Black Rock Ranger this year. Just because I was wearing khakis and a Tilley camp hat, and was carrying a radio (heck, at one time I was carrying four radios), people kept stopping me to ask for directions or help as if I was a Ranger.

The scores for how many times I was mistaken for a Ranger:

Monday - 3
Tuesday - 4
Wednesday - 6
Thursday - 9
Friday - 1

The best one was the last one on Thursday, when I happened to pass by Ranger HQ on the Esplanade, stopped to see what the meeting was about (it was a recruiting meeting for next year's rangers), and a ranger supervisor mistook me for a ranger. That was priceless!

maybe next year dress as an inflatable sheep?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:01 am

How ineffectual were you being?
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" exiled to 3:17 & G

Postby Molotov » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:18 am

While cruising the city in an ESD fire engine, I lost track of the number of times we were stopped and asked if we were a potable water service or if we would pump out their grey/black water. I guess the red light bar and "FIRE" stickers were not sufficient clues as to our purpose. And we were also frequently misidentified as Black Rock Rangers despite our bright yellow ESD shirts.

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby mooserider » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:59 am

Lonesomebri wrote:How ineffectual were you being?

Not very. The people who were asking for directions, I was able to assist quite well. Of course, I'd been working on city mapping software for two months prior, so I was quite conversant with the city layout for a mere burgin. Thankfully, no one asked me to resolve a domestic dispute.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 am

mooserider wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:How ineffectual were you being?

Not very. The people who were asking for directions, I was able to assist quite well. Of course, I'd been working on city mapping software for two months prior, so I was quite conversant with the city layout for a mere burgin. Thankfully, no one asked me to resolve a domestic dispute.

Ranger of the Year!

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby The CO » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:09 pm

I've spent years being mistaken for a ranger.

This year was especially fascinating as I was dressed in green driving a clearly labeled DPW vehicle. And still got mistaken for a ranger 2-3 times a day.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Not a bad idea really. Kind of like Santacon only with a Playa twist.

Start a Rangercon, gather hords of folks dressed as Rangers and then pillage all the bars in a vast bar crawl.

Emphasis on belligerence and disinformation.

Not really original but would be refreshing for the newbs.

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Postby CyanEssence » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 pm

The_Sheik wrote:While cruising the city in an ESD fire engine, I lost track of the number of times we were stopped and asked if we were a potable water service or if we would pump out their grey/black water. I guess the red light bar and "FIRE" stickers were not sufficient clues as to our purpose. And we were also frequently misidentified as Black Rock Rangers despite our bright yellow ESD shirts.

I stopped in at a random camp who offered me a drink. One of the camp's leaders walked over to great another camp-mate who was returned by an ESD (in a yellow shirt of course) via golf cart. The camp leader, who was a multi-year burner, addressed the ESD as "ranger," and believed them to be BLM. After the ESD departed, I explained the difference between BR Rangers, ESD and BLM Rangers. Not everyone makes the distinction. I think some people see radio and golf cart and think lawman.

On another note, I had the pleasure of working alongside, and interacting with, several ESDs this year and found them all to be personable, intelligent, and patient. Their professionalism, even in difficult/stressful situations was inspiring.

Return to “Stories”