Wanting to express my thanks...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Javaman59
Burning Since: 2015

Wanting to express my thanks...

Post by Javaman59 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:44 am

Folks--

I was a first-year burner at this year's BM. Had a great time, amazed by all I learned and saw, all the people I met, by the vibe. One of the most significant exchanges I had was at the Temple, where I volunteered a couple of shifts and worked the perimeter at the Temple Burn.

In my capacity as a Guardian, I helped a woman--an artist from Portland, who was there with her husband/partner/friend--who wanted to post an anti-cancer message in honor of her mother, and had climbed the ladder-like structure of the Temple's horizontal slats to do so. Without going too deeply into what I did to help (not important, and not the point of this post), the artist climbed down when she was finished, and immediately gifted me with an incredibly beautiful pendant she had made, which I'm wearing as I write this, and which I have worn many/most days since returning from the playa.

This is the point, really, of my post. I can still feel the wonder of that moment--my surprise at the beauty of the gift, the spontaneity of the gesture, the warmth of the hug she gave me after I'd put the pendant on. I told her--and I meant it--that I would cherish the piece. Alas, in the hurly-burly of the day, I forgot her name, and that of her partner! I wanted to send a personal message expressing my thanks (yes, I know; the moment, and the exchange, constituted all the thanks that were necessary, because that's what gifting is all about, but still...), and my admiration for the beauty and thoughtfulness of the gift, into which she clearly poured a lot of care and talent. Not much to go on, I realize. But maybe someone reading this will be able to give me some advice about finding this talented woman and thanking her again (and getting a look at more of the art she has produced).

Cheers,
Mark

Sham

Re: Wanting to express my thanks...

Post by Sham » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:04 am

Sometimes on the playa, you only get a brief moment to interact with a person and make a special connection. You hope to meet them again or stay in touch, but in so many cases they are gone off in the world never to see them again. This should not detract from the warm moment you had with this person and I am sure they are cherishing that encounter as well. Burning Man is all about immediacy and living in that moment--then it's all up in flames.

I'm glad you had that wonderful encounter and hope by some great chance you meet this person again.

Javaman59

Post by Javaman59 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks, Sham. I had thought this might be a reply I'd hear. You're right, of course; even if I never make contact with the artist to see more of her work, I'll still have the memory.

Cheers,

MHB

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:31 am

Long-shot, but you could post in the Lost People forum.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

hug+kiss
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Post by hug+kiss » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:42 am

Hi. Maybe post a picture of the necklace. Someone might have received one too or maybe someone knows the artist's work.

reggie13
Camp Name: Gender Blender

Post by reggie13 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:27 am

try looking at the Portland burners fb page.....

Return to “Stories”