Good morning BRC 2015

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Good morning BRC 2015

Post by trilobyte » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:08 pm

I just realized that I hadn't posted this in the wake of last year's event.

This was shot really damned early on Saturday morning, before the gate. I was woken up by a clanking, and couldn't see most of the recognizable landmarks when I went outside. I thought to grab my phone and shoot a video as I did a quick perimeter around camp to make sure all my structures were sound. Shortly after the video, we had the first of at least 5 condition alphas of the day (where it's so thick you can't make your hand out at arm's length). A few of us went up and down the street to give a hand to neighbors who were having trouble with their structures.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Good morning BRC 2015

Post by Ratty » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:00 pm

That was the day both tents filled up with dust. I had gone off to work and left them open.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Ooh, that would have been tough. The day was really frustrating for me, I went from being ahead of schedule to being slightly behind schedule for getting the camp finished before the gates opened.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:11 am

Being awakened by a windstorm was a new playa experience for me; the truck was rockin', and the water barrels were sloshin' ... as I came to consciousness, I thought I was in a storm at sea!

That was a rough day for building!

Fortunately, like you (it appears), most of our big structures were finished and firmly staked down;
playa experience paid off, big time!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:58 am

I've been wakened by wind storms before, but it was other-worldly to open up the shipping container I was sleeping in and not be able to see anything outside... when I full well knew there was a structure 10 feet from the door. Fortunately I was taught really well about playa structure design, so checking the perimeter was more of a force of habit than genuine fear that there'd be a problem. Actually, the biggest structural problem we had this year was a single failed ball bungee. It was many years old and should probably have been retired instead of used again, but no big deal.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:41 pm

I camp in a Jayco pop-up. The entire top is held up/resting on 4 metal telescoping posts. The wind was blowing so hard it was going to collapse or twist off the entire top. Luckily I had 2 nice 8 foot posts for my shade structure inside with me. I made 2 well fitting crossmembers, from top to bottom diagonally. Fit those inside and hung on. Everything survived. Wattatrip.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:06 pm

I was herding cats.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:04 pm

In my yurt snug as a bug. Although the panels breathe a little...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:49 pm

I too was lucky enough to have my six foot stretch yurt set up and tied down. Only went out to check ropes. Put all other camp setup on hold. Really felt for the people trying to get there or build, it was pretty wild.
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:14 pm

I remember that day. We had just returned from checking out some camp nearby and left because some doofus was trying to get screen prints on over 9000 shirts for like every extended family member and co-worker that didn't attend (hey no souvenirs for those who don't attend asshole!). Stuff in that camp had also started to bang around and tip over, and we also felt it might be good to check on our own camp down the street.

We checked on and reinforced the stakes holding the cabling on our parachute shade structure (no danger to the structure, but we wanted to be sure) and it was all set. Then all of a sudden things got really windy, cold, dusty, and dark. Soon we had to huddle down behind some couches because it wasn't really the nice melt-in-your-mouth playa dust that was blowing in, but grating dirt from the adjacent hills that hurt to breathe.

Fun! I had always wanted to experience an alpha condition.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:15 pm

Yup. Pretty windy.
Here's my entry.
For people that have never been, make sure to check out the last 15 seconds or so if you want to know what playa dust is like.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:40 pm

A little later in the week...
BM2015 148.JPG
When it was windy, the carpet would flip up and hit me in the face with dirt. After a while I just folded it back and left it that way, until I tripped over it one evening and drilled the side of my camper with my head... ouch, wtf?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:10 pm

trilobyte wrote:the first of at least 5 condition alphas of the day
Those were alphas? I had no idea, I'd always imagined alphas as being far worse.

In a fit of "yeah, I should have known better" that Saturday, I wound up riding my bike through one of those from our camp at 4:30 & E all the way over to the 9:00 plaza. I followed a big, slow moving truck most of the way - I figured if it was in front of me, I wouldn't have to worry about a head-on collision with someone driving the other direction, and the taillights worked as (admittedly dim) beacons to help keep me on the street.

My errand turned out to be a wild goose chase, but it was that experience that finally made me feel I was back on playa (despite having been there since Tuesday).

We were lucky on setup - our setup crew really had it together, and we'd actually been told to expect the winds on Friday, so we already had our major structures up.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:19 am

Hmm, that might've been Friday's, and could've where we were (3:15). We had to take cover and protect some other people in the area (my lab coat helped protect my skin), and quite a few of us had to seek cover inside a friend's RV for some time. Good thing the RV had a vacuum cleaner. Before it hit, one person who was with us left to check on his own camp across the way said it was just nice and dandy.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:25 am

This was the day before the gates had opened. I recall Friday before the gate being a fairly good day, we got a lot done.

The video was shot just before, and not during. Condition alpha, as it had been explained to me, is when things get so bad you lose the ability to see your hand when held at arm's length. When it gets that bad it's incredibly dangerous to be moving around, with such poor visibility you wouldn't see something until you were just about bumping into it or tripping over it, or it was colliding with you. While we were awake and raring to go, all we could really do for most of the day was sit around camp and wait things out. During the alphas I experienced last year, as well as with the ones I'd been through in 2007, I also noticed that the sky took on a yellow/orange color - I'm guessing because the dust was so thick above us.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:32 am

Bbadger, 'your lab coat'? Are you by any chance a Census Taker?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Hmm, it certainly didn't meet that definition. Maybe we should call it condition "beta"? Though I do think it approached the survival guide's description. Everything did get dark and yellow/orange in the midst of it though.
Ratty wrote:Bbadger, 'your lab coat'? Are you by any chance a Census Taker?
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I've been bringing a lab coat each year for sun protection, extra pockets to put stuff, easy to clean, and just because it's fun. :)

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:16 am

Frida Be You & Me

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:42 am

That was actually one of the pages my campmates showed me when helping me prepare for my first burn, as they were teaching me about structures being more than simply shade. Neighbors on our block lost between 4 and 6 structures on that Saturday, and then the camp next to us (who arrived seriously late because the gates are shut down during extreme weather) had two of their bigger structures lifted into the street and smashed by the wind.

For me, the worst alpha I've experienced was the one that hit in the second half of Tuesday after the event in 2007. My girlfriend and I were the last ones from our camp on site, and we were in the middle of taking down a dome when all hell broke loose. I think part of what made it so difficult is that we didn't really have a shelter other than the front seats of our half-packed cargo van, and since most of the city was gone the wind was very seriously whipping. I got pelted by little bits of black rock as I scrambled to batten things down, and we had fullly packed bins with heavy stuff in them getting knocked over. When things were first starting to kick up we tried to work through it, because dammit we had less than an hour's worth of work to do and really wanted to get off the playa before nightfall. But when somebody drove their vehicle through camp space near us at much faster than 5mph we figured it was time to get in the van and sit it out.

Return to “Stories”