"Beyond Black Rock" as a Playa Recruitment Tool

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
robotland

"Beyond Black Rock" as a Playa Recruitment Tool

Post by robotland » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:41 am

My spouse and two of our closest friends have been resisting my attempts to get them Out There for three years now....I sat them down and played them Beyond Black Rock, and employed visual aids (a little vial of playa dust, and scraps of '03's temple and Man) and am proud to report that they have weakened in their resolve to avoid going. It will probably be a long process, since they're tenderfeet, but so far I've got them considering a suite in Reno and a "field trip" to the event....I hope to juice them up a little more when my copy of "Dust Devils" arrives....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Playa

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:42 am

Robotland- I'm still working on my spouse too. I confess that I would not be as fully self expressed on the playa with her there. Some couples I know have the devotee do the whole week and the tender footed spouse only show up for the weekend of the burn. I played her the video and asked her if she would attend and she would but only to make me happy. I ordered the other video too, and I've got some months to work on her, yes?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:17 am

Good luck to us both! I think my spouse would probably come out for ONE year, out of curiosity- I've got the full-blown sickness, though, and probably will crave the taste of playadust every August I've got left....I'd enjoy being her tourguide for a Burn, since explaining things always lets me see them in a new light...
Howdy From Kalamazoo

YerNotDaBossOMe

Post by YerNotDaBossOMe » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:56 pm

How did you all like Beyond Blackrock? I thought it was very well done.
There...I said it and I'm glad!

Mister Jellyfish Mister

review

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:46 pm

YerNotDaBossOMe wrote:How did you all like Beyond Blackrock? I thought it was very well done.
It was really outstanding the way the movie builds the excitement throughout the year. The editing and soundtrack were great. I think I heard a new Mutator song in there. What can I say? Do you really have a better use for the ten dollar bill in your pocket? That deal can't last.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

robotland

Dust Devils

Post by robotland » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:30 am

I ordered another copy of BBR for a gift, and a copy of "Dust Devils" for myself.....While it's a good enough document of the event, I find "Beyond Black Rock" to be superior. A friend encountered difficulties with getting their copy shipped, which the nice folks at Gone Off Deep said were due to a glitch at Paypal, so it wouldn't hurt to check with them about the timeframe for shipping.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

gregori

Post by gregori » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:51 am

I think the deal on "Dust Devils" is over - I got in just under the wire, and received mine the other day. (Haven't seen it yet...)

I enjoyed "Beyond Black Rock" but I think it's more of the 'backstory' that people who've been there can relate to. It's a behind the scenes look for people who have seen the 'front' of the scenes. The target audience is clearly existing burners.
(I showed it to some friends with NO exposure to BM, and had to explain a lot of things. Mostly things that "we" pretty much take for granted.)

But BM is kind of like that anyway, right?
("If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.")

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:15 am

At the risk of sounding like a grouch, can I ask why you're so set on bringing folks who are set against it? I know many of us want our loved ones to be able to experience it too, but maybe they just aren't ready for it. Sure, show them the film... and then if they're inspired enough bring them. But i'm imagining a disaster for both the bringer and the bringee if they aren't mentally, emotionally, or physically in a space to come to Black Rock.

Just sayin'...
surlier than thou

Sandwichman
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Sandwichman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:21 am

Rian Jackson wrote:At the risk of sounding like a grouch, can I ask why you're so set on bringing folks who are set against it? I know many of us want our loved ones to be able to experience it too, but maybe they just aren't ready for it. Sure, show them the film... and then if they're inspired enough bring them. But i'm imagining a disaster for both the bringer and the bringee if they aren't mentally, emotionally, or physically in a space to come to Black Rock.

Just sayin'...
That is not grouchiness but truth. There are some people I would love to come. I show them photos or video and they laugh and tell me it is not for them and I just have to take that at value. Why do I want to get someone out there with the possibility of them begging to leave mid-week. Not everyone understands the need to go to the middle of the black rock to get freaky or not. By forcing it you really are interfering with someones experience which we all know is a big no no but who am I to judge.

Sammich

PS The DVD is amazing by the way. I just got my copy yesterday and want to go home and watch it again.
oonsa oonsa for your feets [url=http://www.djjasonphilips.com/mixes/mixes_files/La_musica_que_no_tacara_usted_quiere_que_tio_corte.mp3]click here[/url]

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:32 am

I've been giving my parents, of all people, the opportunity to get involved in this crazy community if they so choose (as some of you know). My mum came to SeaCompression and had a blast, even though it was far outside her experience.

I invited my father to come to BM 2005. He's a creative type who, depite how it may appear, tends to be pretty open to new ideas. His answer was 'maybe for a day or two' and I realised that BRC isn't, at least right now, the place for him. If that's how he sees it, there's too high of a chance for tourism. Besides that, it's too much effort for just a few days. Mostly, he doesn't have the interest level or committment level to make it a worthwhile venture for him to come. He probably wouldn't be engaged the way other burners are.

If someone had forced me to guess, i would have expected dad to be far more willing and interested than mom. I'm not pushing EITHER of them for black rock, but i may end up being very surprised someday.
surlier than thou

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:00 pm

At the risk of sounding like a grouch, can I ask why you're so set on bringing folks who are set against it?

To be sure, it would ruin it for all of us if I were to force someone to come that wasn't ready....What BBR helped me do was illustrate some of the sheer volume of insane, beautiful creativity that's hard even for creative folks to comprehend. There are aspects of Black Rock City that my wife and some close friends would LOVE, but they're also dust and heat intolerant and/or Art Impaired, and need a Damn Good Reason to put up with it. And yes, I DO mean putting up with the art too.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

lennyjones

Beyond Black Rock

Post by lennyjones » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:02 pm

I just got my BBB/Dust Devils DVD's. I skimmed through BBB and just loved it, Really great footage, and the behind the scenes stuff is cool.

Lenny

Sandwichman
Burning Since: 2004

Re: Beyond Black Rock

Post by Sandwichman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:06 pm

lennyjones wrote:I just got my BBB/Dust Devils DVD's. I skimmed through BBB and just loved it, Really great footage, and the behind the scenes stuff is cool.

Lenny
I have seen Dust Devils and want to own it now. I am not sure if I can still pick it up cheap but I will buy it either way. Merry festivus to me.

Sandwich
oonsa oonsa for your feets [url=http://www.djjasonphilips.com/mixes/mixes_files/La_musica_que_no_tacara_usted_quiere_que_tio_corte.mp3]click here[/url]

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Spouse

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:25 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:At the risk of sounding like a grouch, can I ask why you're so set on bringing folks who are set against it? I know many of us want our loved ones to be able to experience it too, but maybe they just aren't ready for it. Sure, show them the film... and then if they're inspired enough bring them. But i'm imagining a disaster for both the bringer and the bringee if they aren't mentally, emotionally, or physically in a space to come to Black Rock.

Just sayin'...
Welcome back, Rian. It's nice to read your posts again. Out upon it then... the true selfish reason I want my wife to join me is so I can get laid on the playa. If she does not, it still makes for on great shower upon my return. Thanks for reminding me to let go.

Packages in the mail downstairs. They look DVD sized.... I hope they are what I think they are e.g. not Christmas Presants.

Rian Jackson

Re: Spouse

Post by Rian Jackson » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:43 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:

Out upon it then... the true selfish reason I want my wife to join me is so I can get laid on the playa.
Now THAT's more like it.
Good to see you, too, MJM. Come find us all in the bar anytime, ya know.
surlier than thou

robotland

Re: Beyond Black Rock

Post by robotland » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:49 am

lennyjones wrote:I just got my BBB/Dust Devils DVD's. I skimmed through BBB and just loved it, Really great footage, and the behind the scenes stuff is cool.

Lenny
....one of the things that impressed the Potential Convertees the most was a quick shot of that Damn Cool geisha kimono of yours.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Return to “Stories”