What is the best gift you ever received?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
dog on the playa
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Black Rock Kennel

What is the best gift you ever received?

Postby dog on the playa » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:51 pm

Mine has to be a BM medallion necklace from 2004. I think its made of cooper. Just the man on the front with the year and the artist's initials on the back. Really cool piece of work that's acquired a patina as its aged. Second would be a BM shot glass from that same year.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Re: What is the best gift you ever received?

Postby krly » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:37 pm

SALVATION

winterdream28
Burning Since: 2013

Postby winterdream28 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:49 pm

My first year I had really bad tummy problems out there. I did not bring enough substantial food. Our neighbors gifted me a sandwich and some pepto..... LIFE SAVERS I TELL YOU!!!
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:26 pm

I arrived from SF area before the gates opened. (My rider had provided an early entry pass for me. What did I know? I was new.) It's dark. I dropped him off and picked out a spot. As soon as I started to set up I was told to move. I would have to wait 3 hours if I wanted to set up there. OK. I'm excited. I moved my van and walked around center camp admiring the art. I moved back to that spot when the gates opened. Midnight? Now I'm getting tired. I got up at 5 or 6 am that morning and drove here. A 'guy' shows up and offers to help. He helps me put up the carport and ties it down with the most amazing knots. 2008. Epic windstorms. It holds all week. I love you guy. A helping hand is the best gift.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

xzlostzx
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Fish out of water

Postby xzlostzx » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:19 am

This may sound lame...but it was a hug. I was having a rough go at life midweek, and didnt know what I needed or what I was doing there. My campmate gave me a long comforting hug, and that was exactly what I needed. Made everything so much better.

dog on the playa

Postby dog on the playa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:02 am

xzlostzx wrote:This may sound lame...but it was a hug. I was having a rough go at life midweek, and didnt know what I needed or what I was doing there. My campmate gave me a long comforting hug, and that was exactly what I needed. Made everything so much better.

Nice.

highwayman

Postby highwayman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:30 am

I received a last min Ticket as a gift in 2014. I had to drive all the way to BRC from Boston with no ticket. Only within the last day prior to gate did i learn that I was getting a ticket, i received the correct itineraid at the absolute last minute. This was the year of the strike and all roads and gate were shut down. I had to wait for like 15-20 hours in the will call line, still unsure if my burn would take place or not.

The miracle did take place and my faith in this community has never been stronger.

I dont recomend anyone to show up without a ticket or somehow also be so recklessly unprepared. I was fully prepared for any outcome and willing to accept my fate either way. My gear,bike, food and water would continue on inside and I would connect with my driving partner/friend at exodus. I would be homeless in Gerlach for a week if need be. Crisis and disaster were averted. I was driven by a supernatural force that year and was not let down for trusting my instincts and for my efforts.
No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun."

Suicide note of Raoul Duke aka Hunter S. Thompson.

dog on the playa

Postby dog on the playa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:40 pm

highwayman wrote:I received a last min Ticket as a gift in 2014. I had to drive all the way to BRC from Boston with no ticket. Only within the last day prior to gate did i learn that I was getting a ticket, i received the correct itineraid at the absolute last minute. This was the year of the strike and all roads and gate were shut down. I had to wait for like 15-20 hours in the will call line, still unsure if my burn would take place or not.

The miracle did take place and my faith in this community has never been stronger.

I dont recomend anyone to show up without a ticket or somehow also be so recklessly unprepared. I was fully prepared for any outcome and willing to accept my fate either way. My gear,bike, food and water would continue on inside and I would connect with my driving partner/friend at exodus. I would be homeless in Gerlach for a week if need be. Crisis and disaster were averted. I was driven by a supernatural force that year and was not let down for trusting my instincts and for my efforts.

That's a good one. I had almost the exact opposite thing happy to me once.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" exiled to 3:17 & G

Postby Molotov » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:41 pm

A snowcone from the Lost Penguin which saved my life after I ventured out on foot to the Man and the Temple without carrying any water on the first day of my 2014 Birgin year. I survived that rookie foolishness-never again!

PS: all I had on my feet was some Crocs. What a total newb move.

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 pm

highwayman wrote: My gear,bike, food and water would continue on inside and I would connect with my driving partner/friend at exodus. I would be homeless in Gerlach for a week if need be. Crisis and disaster were averted.

I'm so glad you got a ticket that year. Bumming around Gerlach for a week with no food and no where to go is the sort of behavior that strains the relationship with BM and the locals. If that truly was your plan it was an irresponsible and selfish one.

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2015

Postby Perpetual Burn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:26 pm

My ticket for last year's Burn... my first. After hearing the stories for years, I finally decided I had to go... turns out one of my local bartenders had extra tickets haha.

My friend said he would buy them but hadn't gotten paid yet... so I bought both and spent nearly every penny I had on supplies. I think I had $200 to my name, then right before we left my buddy got paid and reimbursed me for the tix, so I left that at home so I could pay rent when I got back haha...

I don't know what I was imagining before last year's Burn... but all I know is a dragon took a shit all over my imagination lolz Best week of my life.

I think decommodification is the best thing about BRC... to live in a place where money is no good... so refreshing for the soul.

Hopefully I'll be out there again this year... still need a ticket... but I can't wait to see this spinning Man!
Love brings us Home
Hope restores our soul
We Burn on the Playa of the
Black Rock Desert
& We fear no evil
for the Man is on our side
Surely Faith & Love will follow
All our Lives
& We will dwell in the house of Love
Forever

atomosk
Burning Since: 2000

Postby atomosk » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:45 pm

A necklace with three years worth of temple ashes inside of it. I felt amazing receiving it. I gifted it two years later to a woman who showed me a sunrise by climbing something (can't remember what) at a sound camp. She let me sleep in an air conditioned yurt afterwards and a full night's sleep felt just as amazing.

happydragon
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Thunder Spoon

Postby happydragon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:04 pm

self respect / confidence. It found me Friday afternoon on my first Burn, riding across the esplanade, after nearly two decades of life crushing insecurity and self doubt.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I have three. The boyfriend who took me to my first dumped me at the Burn, on my birthday on Saturday, Burn Night. Bullet Dodged!

At my fourth burn, I met the man I would marry.

At my fifth burn, he became my husband. On Tuesday at sunset.

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:16 pm

All the compliments where nice. :)

" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

fernley1

Postby fernley1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:59 am

Cold ice cream sandwich in the middle of the open playa on a hot, sunny afternoon.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Due to the incredibly hot playa year of 1998, in future years I decided to buy sixpacks of ice only to melt it and give watering can one gallon showers to those “lucky ones” whose body temperatures might be farthest away from the temperature of the ice water. Most burners know how to maintain in the heat, a minority overextend, and over the years it really is hard to pick out those truly close to heat stroke, thus becoming the ideal candidate for the ice water shower.

Thinking of “best gift,” I believe I’ve been doing this ice water one gallon shower thing for 14+ years is because maybe at year one of the execution of the idea of ice showers, I had noticed a small framed thin guy with two non-functional legs in a wheelchair near our camp. I’d never seen anyone pushing him, he wheeled around the hood a lot, and the road was not in good condition.

Late in the week, around that ultra hot time of 3pm, I was next to the road with my ladder and piece of plywood (plywood for the showeree to stand on, the ladder for me to get the watering can above the showerees head) waiting for an appropriately overheated dehydrated about to collapse burner pass by.

I see the wheelchair guy coming from abut 100 yards away. It takes him 10 minutes to get to me, and when I ask “Do you want to be cooled down,” he says “Yes” without hesitation.

I always tell my victims to hold on tight to the ladder, to please express themselves however they want and then pour away before they can say "Huh?? What do you mean, express myself???." The reactions vary, but are usually a mini-moment of fight or flight, and then logic/reasoning kicks in and they KNOW this is the best thing ever. (I’ve been called God more than once ....)

This guy takes the whole gallon without a peep (most people yell/scream at full decibel) collects himself, and says “I’ve been waiting for this all week.” He takes off his watch, and gives it to me.

I say "I can’t take this," and try to give it back.
He says "You have to," so I do.

The watch has a steel band that shows years and years of his wearing it, both on the outside and how his wrist has polished the steel where it rubs the most on the inside of the band.

Every year, that watch sits under my little shrine that I have in my tent.

This gift from this man will never stop giving to me.
It has made me continue this ice water shower gift thing since then (although it hasn’t been so hot out there for a long time, and I’ve had to in some years take the water, ladder and plywood rig out to where people are setting up playa art and are perfect examples of being an overheated mess.)

Thank you for the best gift ever, whoever you are, wherever you are.

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:49 pm

DSCN2891RR.jpg
This lime Otter-Pop. Thursday, 2PM, deep playa, 2011. Hot and dry, some guy rode up with a cooler, handed me one, and rode off. Was I on Neptune, or Saturn? Can't remember which.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:14 pm

IMG_0006.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:59 am

xzlostzx wrote:This may sound lame...but it was a hug. I was having a rough go at life midweek, and didnt know what I needed or what I was doing there. My campmate gave me a long comforting hug, and that was exactly what I needed. Made everything so much better.

Me too.

Ok, it was a long embrace from an absolutely beautiful & naked oriental woman. But despite the circumstances it was pure, totally non sexual, and for me very trans-formative. It was my 3rd burn, I was jaded & losing that Burny feeling. But that hug, that fantastic embrace, totally re-centered me. For a brief moment we were one. To this day I can remember her breath on my skin, our arms holding the other tightly, feeling her ribs rise as we slowly inhaled he same Playa dust and shared a moment when time stopped. No words were spoken. We looked in to each others eyes, closed them, held each other until our souls touched. Two strangers standing in the desert gifting unconditional love. We had never met before & I have never seen her since, but when I see her in my mind I smile and remember the Playa magic that lifted a weight from my soul.

I know it sounds cliche but it was so simple yet meant so much. It was only then when I felt at peace with myself that I finally became a burner.

The Playa provides, not with free tickets or supplies when you fail to plan, but in simple things that stay with you the rest of your life.

Ok, I also have a thing for pretty oriental women too......
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:31 pm

lucky420 wrote:One of my favorites from one of my favorites. Thank you Savanah

LUCKY!!! . . . I am blown away that it is among your favorites.

I am not tearing up; I just have something in both my eyes . . . :wink:
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

wendy645
Burning Since: 2016

Postby wendy645 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:20 am

The two that come to mind are:

1) Spending time with a guy who I kept running into while taking rides on various art cars. He went by Father Time and looked exactly like Jimi Hendrix. He just has such pure loving energy exuding from him, and it was beautiful to be around. We ended up connecting on bookface and I love seeing his posts every day or so. It's like a little bump of that energy :)

2) This crafty gent gave me a necklace that is on a nylon cord and the pendant is a silver spiral sphere with a little quartz crystal inside. I got to wear this from my first day on, and I decided that I was going to infuse this crystal with all of the amazing energy of the event. I would physically touch it for just a moment when something super awesome happened, to kinda push the experience into it in a way. I wear that necklace rather often throughout the year to carry a bit of my burn with me. :)
Life is simple; it's just not always easy.

Return to “Stories”