2016 Exodus: Traffic, stories, etc.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: 2016 Exodus: Traffic, stories, etc.

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Captain: you're PNW right? So you're talking about 447 northbound. Since most burners come up 447 from I-80, they don't know that above Gerlach, 447 is NASTY. Twisty deceptive curves that drop into deep gorges on both side. Double blind curves with a sheer rock wall inches from the road. Hills and valleys that block your view of the road ahead and speed you up right before a sharp left hook. It's tough to maintain the speed limit during the day fully alert, and the suggested speeds around corners will still make you uncomfortable.

I was going up 447 after a 6 hour Exodus; dusk had just fallen. I was towing a trailer but still making the yellow-sign 40mph around uphill curves with the aid of a V8 engine, foreknowledge of the curves, and caffeine. A car hurled itself at my bumper and stayed there for about two minutes. That was too much, so they swerved on an uphill climb and PASSED ME ON THE INSIDE OF A BLIND CURVE WITH DOUBLE LINES MARKED. If a car had been coming the other way, I would definitely have been involved and at the bottom of a 40 foot rocky gulch.

About 20 minutes later, I was part of a convoy of fast-yet-safe drivers, all dodging black garbage bags and miscellaneous junk on the road. Came around a curve after a long straightaway, and found our earlier acquaintances in the red sedan, spun out in a (thankfully) shallow ditch on the opposite side of the road. Everyone appeared to be out of the car and OK, so after one of our convoy slowed down to render aid I decided not to add to the hazard. We had no cell service or MURS radio or tow strap so it would have been pointless other than saying "See what happens? You could have killed us and yourselves" which I admit was tempting.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Sounds mean, but I'd have definitely stopped to tell them what dumbshits they were, then offered to pull them out for $700 cash up front. Then probably just driven away with the money.
Fuck people like that.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 pm

The way they were driving, I'm pretty sure that what did happen was probably the best possible outcome for everyone. It was tempting to stick around for a few hours just to tell the eventual police officer exactly how they were driving, in opposition to whatever story they were able to spin.

At least someone stopped before they got eaten by the were-cows.

bradtem
Burning Since: 1998

Post by bradtem » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:14 am

Hmm. It's been many years, but I have driven 447 N from Gerlach in an RV and can't say I recall it being a particularly challenging road. I mean, it's not mostly straight like 447 south or anything, it has two windy passes, but hardly anything drivers from the west are unused to.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks for the input, Vin Diesel.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Thursday night's midnight run to Renown in Reno was one of the scariest drives I've ever done. 447 alone is bad. Alone at night is worse. But with VERY little traffic and a wounded (and blinded) husband next to me?

Probably the most dangerous part of our burn. I hope to NEVER have to do that again.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:29 pm

VultureChow wrote:Thursday night's midnight run to Renown ... Alone at night ... and a wounded (and blinded) husband next to me? ...
My god!
Why not have medical do the evac and let your insurance pay for it?
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:35 pm

Whoa, hold on there! Is Graidawg OK? Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:04 am

Grai is fine now. I keep forgetting not everyone was there or heard the story.

He decided to help me clean up after our pewter medallion casting workshop, and dropped a few scrap pieces in my furnace when I walked away for a moment. One of the pieces must have been wet as the metal basically exploded upwards into his eye.

With emergency treatment from MyDearFriend and the help of Kodiak (a ranger in our village) we were soon in an ambulance and headed towards Rampart.

He got Fentenyl and numbing eye drops that are basically liquid cocaine, and they flushed his eye for 20 minutes and then picked out the bits of cooled metal. Because he had perfect vision in that eye, they decided a medivac wasn't necessary, but instead suggested I get him to Renown as soon as I could. We went that night.

Because his eye was so burned and irritated, he could not keep his eyes open, so he basically was asleep the whole drive. It probably would have been safer to wait for morning, but I was worried. In Reno they determined that all the metal had been removed, he had some corneal burns and abrasions, and that rest and eyedrops and Percocet would be sufficient. We got a hotel room for the night, ate at Mel's, picked up some eyepatches and 30 In-n-Out burgers and were back in Black Rock city by 2pm or so.

His eye is completely back to normal, and the minor skin burns he sustained are healing nicely. I can't speak more highly about the Rampart team, except to say they might have thrown a bit of that morphine my way. I was a fucking wreck.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:49 am

VC, on the upside, the In-And-Out burgers were great!

Hoverdave
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Looking

Post by Hoverdave » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Monday morning Exodus 7:18 am
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bradtem
Burning Since: 1998

Post by bradtem » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:15 pm

Looks like above average RV density. Probable explanation: If you are in an RV, you can strike everything in camp, pack it up, go out and party, then sleep in your RV. At 6am, get up, do the final moop check in the light and drive off. Have breakfast during exodus, you have a kitchen. You can even do some of the packing and organizing in the RV during pulses, and if not to densely packed, some you can sleep.

If you camped in a tent, you still have to pack up your tent and all gear in it you needed to sleep, then get them in the car and go, probably adds another hour.

Though I am curious if anybody has numbers on the percentage of vehicles at BRC which are RVs, cars/SUVs, big trucks, buses etc.
Last edited by bradtem on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn

burner von braun

Post by burner von braun » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:24 pm

Thanks for the scoop VC, I had not heard. That was intense, and I'm certainly relieved and happy to hear that Grai is doing fine.

*waves to graidawg*

...and a tip of the ol' playa hat to all who rendered assistance

burner von braun

Post by burner von braun » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 pm

Yeah bradtem, those percentages would be interesting, as well as any notable changes since the introduction of vehicle passes.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:17 am

I left around noon Monday and the RV density did seem a lot lower than the photos above.

My friends have an RV and we skipped over there during all the pulses. Those things are pretty amazing during Exodus, they almost swayed me to the dark side but I held FIGJAM's mantra close to my heart and kept telling myself I'd build my burn again next year.

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Strata » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:52 pm

We packed all but our tent, sleeping stuff, and Sunday's clothes on Saturday afternoon after my Comms shift ended at 3pm. So on Sunday we woke up at dawn as usual, made our oatmeal, then struck camp and we're headed out of 330 & G by 835am or so.

We hit pavement at 920am and had a hair raising drive with many RVs and cars passing our 55mph towing selves. About 30 percent didn't bother making sure there was still a passing lane in front as they swung back in. Very scary. I slowed down as folks passed to give them more room to get back in, but there were plenty of idiots who hopped several vehicles at a time.

Got to Reno at noon 30 and grabbed lunch for about an hour, then 80 west to 680 to 880 to Sunnyvale. Got home around 6pm, hit some slow spots near Sacramento and Vallejo but overall pretty okay.

Then the 11 hours of unpacking, cleaning, laundry, etc on Monday, but that's another story....
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 *

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Info? Did someone ask for info? That's what the Census is. Click the link and then click on 2015. Have all your questions answered.

https://blackrockcitycensus.wordpress.c ... press.com/

or not. This link may get you there if you download the pdf. I swear the graph is there with vehicles. I saw it.

http://burningman.org/culture/history/b ... nsus-data/
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 pm

Vehicles by day at the below link under: 2015 Expanded Census Report.
http://burningman.org/culture/history/b ... nsus-data/
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:23 am

No matter how I try, the Census is 'ever elusive'. They have made it very easy to fill out the Census for the next month. Now if they would just streamline the path to viewing past reports....

Meathunter. Your link is dead too.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:44 am

Ratty,

Try this link.

The day/auto information for 2015 is way down the list of graphs - page 39.

http://z9hbb3mwou383x1930ve0ugl.wpengin ... Report.pdf
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:23 am

VultureChow wrote:picked up some eyepatches and 30 In-n-Out burgers and were back in Black Rock city by 2pm or so.
I love this! What an awesome surprise.

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:45 am

FWIW, I got out on Monday late afternoon and turned North on 447 on Ratty's suggestion. It was awesome getting away from all the traffic going South and I didn't find the road too tough though I was driving a van and not a big rig.

For me, the best part was coming over the mountains at sunset into the "Surprise Valley". It was so beautiful driving down that valley with the mountains and hills all aglow.

It added some miles to my trip home back to Minnesota but was well worth it.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:55 am

We left camp (2:00 and B) at 12:30pm on Monday. Gate Radio said 4-5 hours. We hit pavement at 8:00PM or a bit later. At some point, the radio said 5-6 hours for those who got into the line hours behind us. Exodus sucks, but we forced ourselves to have a good time. The only real frustration was that the estimates were off by several hours. You would think that after all these years, they would have a way of making approximate estimates - they suggested 4-5 hours, we waited 8. Stop and go traffic through Gerlach, but then it eased up, no problems except a few trailers going 40 in the 70 zone. Stopped for Denny's in Sparks, home to Sacramento by 3 AM.

Return to “Stories”