Quiet Mornings at BRC

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Quiet Mornings at BRC

Post by zorro sings » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:31 am

Have been doing The Project for 17 years now and have seen many changes both good and bad. Happy to say the best change has been that in 2016 most all places in the city were quiet in the morning. Sure there were the occasional sound camp sunrise thing and self indulgent mutant vehicles but they were scattered. This has been a long time coming but shows that, in at least this regard, BRC has matured.

It wasn't that long ago that complaints about early morning "sets" were met with the reply, "This is Burning Man, sleep some other time." There was barely a place in the city not subjected to this attitude.

Slowly though this began to change. Not from some edict from above but through cooperation and common sense. Those who noticed that the crowds, usually out by 10 am, were now out at noon this year saw this new respect for sleep for themselves. Congrats BRC and may it continue this way forever.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Quiet Mornings at BRC

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:56 am

Unless you camped next to the assholes with the Cloud 69 art car. They didn't give a shit about volume level rules within the city, or what time it was.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:15 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Unless you camped next to the assholes with the Cloud 69 art car. They didn't give a shit about volume level rules within the city, or what time it was.
Dunno who it was but in 2015 this car right behind our camp would crank it up to insane volumes every morning about 4:00 AM. Everyone I mentioned it to in the neighborhood was pissed at the consistency they were getting woken up by this. Finally about Wednesday I went over and asked them to hold it down at that hour until they were out on the playa. They basically told me to get fucked and that I didn't belong at BM. I went to DMV and they said, hey we take this seriously because every car signs an agreement about reasonable times and places for high volume. After that I only heard them do it one more time for just a second or two - kind of like a last fuck you.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 am

I found it was too quiet at night. Friday before Gate opened was the only night I heard the sweet boom, boom, boom to rock me to sleep. (It was the DPW Whiskey party. )
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:22 pm

I thought it was a little too quiet myself. I was fairly close to the Esplanade and thought it would be MUCH louder. I kinda missed the constant thump thump thump.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:50 pm

I was completely pleased with the noise levels, heh! . . . I was able to sleep every night, but also to find as much noise as I wanted whenever I DID want it. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:04 pm

A polite request, and, a fire hose or water cannon, pointed at speakers sometimes, speaks volumes
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:05 pm

So does the axe mounted on your Frankencamper!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:06 pm

it was not quiet where i was camped but that's ok. it is burning man.
next year big industrial ear plugs
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Movement of Jah People was my alarm clock my first morning on the playa of my first year. I woke up vibrating off the floor of my tent and loved it.

Return to “Stories”