Spiritual Transformation Stories

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Sarah143
Burning Since: 2017

Spiritual Transformation Stories

Post by Sarah143 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:23 pm

I'm on a new spiritual journey.

Do you have any spiritual transformation stories of Burning Man you could share with me?

- Peace & Love :)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Spiritual Transformation Stories

Post by AntiM » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:52 am

Moderator note: moved to Stories forum as this is the best place for well, stories.

Token

Post by Token » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 am

What in the world is a "spiritual journey"?

I don't think I had one of those, let alone a new one.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:54 am

I had one once at Hedonism II in Jamaica. It lasted a week.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:09 am

Comedian Daniel Tosh on being "spiritual"

"Ever hear a girl say, "I'm not religious but I'm spiritual." I reply, "Well I'm not honest, but you're really interesting."
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Token

Post by Token » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:12 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I had one once at Hedonism II in Jamaica. It lasted a week.
I thought it was a 10-day treatment course at the very least, usually two weeks.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:48 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I had one once at Hedonism II in Jamaica. It lasted a week.
how'd you get your RV to Jamaica?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Token

Post by Token » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Jokes aside, I still don't really know what a "spiritual journey" means.

I can grasp some vague understanding, could very likely use it in a scentance and not sound too foolish, but fundamentally do not understand its meaning.

There is clearly some positive outcome, or at least an expectation. How do you know if it you are successful?

It's not just a bunch of things that make you feel good. I can get a massage, take in a comedy show and laugh, eat a custard filled chocolate eclair and feel darn good about things, but that ain't it.

I can take up a hobby, learn a new craft, discuss the nature of the universe with an astrophysicist, but that is learning. A good thing but not a spiritual journey, right?

Or is this some kind of code for consuming large quantities of mind altering drugs?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:22 pm

Placebo is one hell of a drug!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:55 pm

BBadger wrote:Placebo is one hell of a drug!
For some odd reason I just flashed on Deepak Chopra handing out water bottles to impressionable sparkleponies at the temple...

I'll shut up now.

No. Fuck it, I wont. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:55 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:No. Fuck it, I wont. :mrgreen:
Never stop!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:12 am

Token wrote:Jokes aside, I still don't really know what a "spiritual journey" means.

I can grasp some vague understanding, could very likely use it in a scentance and not sound too foolish, but fundamentally do not understand its meaning.

There is clearly some positive outcome, or at least an expectation. How do you know if it you are successful?

It's not just a bunch of things that make you feel good. I can get a massage, take in a comedy show and laugh, eat a custard filled chocolate eclair and feel darn good about things, but that ain't it.

I can take up a hobby, learn a new craft, discuss the nature of the universe with an astrophysicist, but that is learning. A good thing but not a spiritual journey, right?

Or is this some kind of code for consuming large quantities of mind altering drugs?
Oh hell, I can take a shot at it, or at least my fuzzy-wuzzy thinking on the subject.

You know that person you hold your inner dialog with? I call that the meta-self, and that is subdivided into whatever you are concerned with at the moment. There's the self concerned with the physical (that itches, I should eat more veggies, I hate my eyebrows), a practical self (the electric bill is overdue, tires need rotating, I need to save for tickets), and so on. Lots of selves, yet all one person. So there's a part of self which thinks about spiritual things; religion, ethics, the supernatural, there are many subjects which can be slotted in there. Even atheism is a spiritual topic, and certainly art. Of course it differs person to person.

To me, a spiritual journey is that experience, or set of experiences, which brings a fundamental change to the dialog held with one's inner self concerned with spiritual topics, and which alters the dialog of the other selves. A new way to see the world, a universal change in worldview, an examination and rearranging of personal values. Yes, this could be achieve through drugs, but that is just one example. Losing one's child hood delusions, or one's religion, could be other examples. Is enlightenment a key element? I do not think so, but I bet many others consider it so.

Eating an eclair might not be a spiritual journey, but if that experience leads to baking classes and opening a foodtruck, and joy is found, that eclair was the first step on a spiritual journey.

Taking up a hobby might not be a spiritual journey, but learning to relax through that hobby, budgeting for it, sharing it with friends, that might be a spiritual journey.

Burning Man can offer opportunities for such a journey into art, gifting, and community, but to expect sudden enlightenment on a dusty camping trip with art is asking for disappointment. Although disappointment and disillusionment can be their own journeys. Not saying it must be a positive thing. You can learn a lot from having ideals dashed.

Has Burning Man changed my life? Fuck yes, look what I do here every day, and my art. You betcha. Have the people made a difference? Most certainly. Am I enlightened? Nope. I pick up more litter and gift more often, if that counts.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:46 am

I like the concept of those personality assembling selves, it is compatible with my model of the every day experience adding and creating a slightly new personality.

Hmm, was that a spiritual Journey?
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:12 am

Traveller in Time wrote:I like the concept of those personality assembling selves, it is compatible with my model of the every day experience adding and creating a slightly new personality.

Hmm, was that a spiritual Journey?
Maybe a step in an ongoing one. Or a beginning. Or a bit of undigested beef.

Return to “Stories”