Does anyone Remember Chimpy, the Mayor of BRC?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Does anyone Remember Chimpy, the Mayor of BRC?

Postby Kelsier » Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 am

This is going way back; probably 1998.

I wasn't there but have heard some stories of a 3 way debate at Center Camp between the Incumbent mayor, Johnny Playa, and Chimpy. **(spoiler)** Chimpy came out victorious.

I realize it's a long shot, but I'm just curious if anyone was actually there and remembers.
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Does anyone Remember Chimpy, the Mayor of BRC?

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon May 22, 2017 10:24 am

Yes, I was there. It was 2000. Captain Conundrum of Johnny & the Playa Cruizers (bike repair camp) had been proclaiming himself as "Mayor Johnny", mayor of BRC.
There was another also proclaiming to be the mayor and the newspaper - I forget if it was Piss Clear or Black Rock Gazette - figured there can't be two mayors and decided to hold an election. Chimpy also entered as a third party wearing a full gorilla costume and spoke only in gorilla-grunt.
There was a debate and public questioning, all answers were to be given in jibberish.
It was decided by crowd applause, and the Chimp won the election. I mean, of course everyone voted for the Chimp!!
I don't remember it happening at Center Camp, I thought it was somewhere else, but I'm fuzzy on that, I could be wrong.
I didn't know who the Chimp was and I can't remember who the other party was.

That's what I can recall about it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 am

OK I just spoke to Mayor Johnny... he says he has that entire event on video!
It was just outside Center Camp.
He recalls wearing a bright pink suit, and the other "mayor" had some sort of personal issue with him being gay (which mayor Johnny does not happen to be!).
He apparently wasn't gonna have a gay mayor. (This is Mayor Johnny's recollection).
Chimpy spoke only in gorilla grunting except for his speech at the election, where he perfectly articulated the entire Gettysburg Address. That's when the crowd went nuts and elected him.

Kelsier

Postby Kelsier » Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 am

That is amazing. If at all Possible I would LOVE (repeat LOVE) to see that video. I don't know Johnny but I know both of the other two participants and heard the story again last night from the Non-Chimpy (I don't know his playa name or if he had one then). I can't imagine him having an issue with a gay mayor, but I obviously didn't hear the conversation.

The way hear it told, Chimpy won the show when they were asked to give their platforms in gibberish. After doing monkey talk the entire time, for his gibberish portion he stood up straight and performed the Gettysburg Address. The crowd goes wild.
I'll get the net.

Kelsier

Postby Kelsier » Mon May 22, 2017 11:24 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Chimpy spoke only in gorilla grunting except for his speech at the election, where he perfectly articulated the entire Gettysburg Address. That's when the crowd went nuts and elected him.

Oops, somehow I didn't read these last two sentences. Didn't meant to repeat them. But good to know it's definitely the same event.
I'll get the net.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon May 22, 2017 6:33 pm

I'll see if I can arrange to get that video, maybe it can get posted to YouTube or something.
How amazing is that... someone here WAS there, remembers lots about it, and knows where a full video is... THAT'S Playdipidy.

Kelsier

Postby Kelsier » Tue May 23, 2017 8:49 am

My thoughts exactly. I was very doubtful anyone would even have a clue what I was speaking about. I appreciate your help on this! So do Brett and Chimpy!

Also, it was good meeting you last year Captain, even if I was a bit awkward. I usually am.
I'll get the net.

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Tue May 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Kelsier wrote:The way hear it told, Chimpy won the show when they were asked to give their platforms in gibberish. After doing monkey talk the entire time, for his gibberish portion he stood up straight and performed the Gettysburg Address. The crowd goes wild.

That's amazing.

Return to “Stories”