Overly Aggressive LEOs This Year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Overly Aggressive LEOs This Year?

Post by Token » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 am

Besides, Fly Ranch is in Washoe.

Enter sinister conspiracy theory here.

remi

Post by remi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am

I had a pleasantly uneventful year in regards to LEO interactions, however, a camp mate of mine was freaking out on Saturday because she claimed that "all these people are getting busted" and "large camps are getting randomly searched," and all this stuff. I think it's her first time here.. maybe she thought all the blinking lights at a camp were police.. I don't know? I just go by the "don't break the law and they won't fuck with me" route. Never had any problems.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Well us Leos are known for being a bit aggressive. Must be something about the month of August. It's in the stars, baby!!

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:03 am

remi wrote:I had a pleasantly uneventful year in regards to LEO interactions, however, a camp mate of mine was freaking out on Saturday because she claimed that "all these people are getting busted" and "large camps are getting randomly searched," and all this stuff. I think it's her first time here.. maybe she thought all the blinking lights at a camp were police.. I don't know? I just go by the "don't break the law and they won't fuck with me" route. Never had any problems.

Same here. Didn't even see the usual racing at top speed runs by them. I did see the LEO stops just after gate and I felt bad for those folks. Been going 10 years straight now, and haven't had even one LEO interaction other than a pleasant chat. I did race a Fed Guy on an ATV with my little MV once for pinks, but neither of went over 5mph. We called it a draw at the end of the block.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:42 am

Savannah wrote:
* "The Foot in the Door" manipulation technique. When you ask someone for a little something and receive it successfully (and positively reinforce it), you're more likely to receive a future favor from that person, because A) the favor-giver now sees you as Officially Deserving (they don't want to second-guess their own judgment), and b) "what harm does one more little favor do?"
The above is a method of seeing if someone is submissive.
The truly submissive won't think about the query being either a request or a demand, and will just do it.

In New York City where I lived in the '80's, I noticed many homeless or crackheads would ask me "Excuse me, do you know the time?"

If you look at your watch, you are acting like this a a doctors waiting room when asked to take a seat, but this is not that at all:
-----showing you are submissive to the panhandler, he/she will type you as a prime target to listen to the full story of why you need a little money for food
-----or: you've shown what kind of watch or phone you have, which might be gone 5 minutes later as someone aggressively bumps into you and bye-bye to your timepiece.

If you are on the playa and know this, but have been lax with your LEO radar (hey, it's Burning Man!) just say, "Sorry, I'm late, I have to go" and if they stop you, ask "Am I being detained."

Then, you will know for sure what is going on and act accordingly.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:26 am

DoctorIknow wrote:
Savannah wrote:
* "The Foot in the Door" manipulation technique. When you ask someone for a little something and receive it successfully (and positively reinforce it), you're more likely to receive a future favor from that person, because A) the favor-giver now sees you as Officially Deserving (they don't want to second-guess their own judgment), and b) "what harm does one more little favor do?"
The above is a method of seeing if someone is submissive.
The truly submissive won't think about the query being either a request or a demand, and will just do it.

In New York City where I lived in the '80's, I noticed many homeless or crackheads would ask me "Excuse me, do you know the time?"

If you look at your watch, you are acting like this a a doctors waiting room when asked to take a seat, but this is not that at all:
-----showing you are submissive to the panhandler, he/she will type you as a prime target to listen to the full story of why you need a little money for food
-----or: you've shown what kind of watch or phone you have, which might be gone 5 minutes later as someone aggressively bumps into you and bye-bye to your timepiece.

If you are on the playa and know this, but have been lax with your LEO radar (hey, it's Burning Man!) just say, "Sorry, I'm late, I have to go" and if they stop you, ask "Am I being detained."

Then, you will know for sure what is going on and act accordingly.
or sing:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Had an obvious narc ask "do you where I can get any pills?" on more than 1 occasion in 2017. mid-20's guy in burnish clothing but clearly working with or under cover LEO.
Also saw a guy get handcuffed and hauled out of a dance crowd at MW around 11pm Weds or Thurs? He was rifling in backpack, grabbed something, then 3 LEO swooped in and yanked him out in cuffs. Gnarly. He was not being overly obvious or sloppy/hammered. Also lots of dark LEO vehicles with people inside, parked strategically behind big art on playa, looking into the crowd. Be careful out there.

fireheadwhale
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Post by fireheadwhale » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:52 am

DoctorIknow wrote:
Savannah wrote:

A panhandler or a salesman will sometimes lead with the question,"Can I ask you a question?". I often answer,"You just did", and keep walking.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:18 pm

asr9754 wrote:but clearly working with or under cover LEO.
Then it's most likely that he wasn't an undercover or connected with them. If they were that easy to spot they'd all be dead - you don't think criminals are going to let one off the hook when they see who they "clearly" are, do you? That's where undercovers spend most of their time. The guy was probably just an idiot who thought he could score drugs at the hippy festival.

This is the mantra about undercovers I learned my first year (2003), it was old then:
They've been going longer than you, their clothes are better, and their art car is cooler. You will only spot them when it's too late.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Stories”