Limitless! (Self-Love, Self-Awareness, & Healing/Growth)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
SoMuchLOVE
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Rootpile

Limitless! (Self-Love, Self-Awareness, & Healing/Growth)

Post by SoMuchLOVE » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:26 pm

LIMITLESS!!!

I went on a month long journey away from my home to this thing in the desert on a mission to radiate so much love and inspiration and receive so much love and inspiration! It didn’t go as I thought it would and things I hoped would happen didn’t happen to the magnitude that I desired. Something else happened. My adventure to the desert, the 16 days I spent camping in it, and the long journey home was filled with extravagant beauty and full of many challenges, struggles, and rewards! My mission was a complete success!

350 days ago, on Saturday October 1st 2016, I defeated my self-hatred and later that night I yelled out loud “I love you James!” and it was in that moment that my brain actualized that it can love itself, that I do love myself and that self-love is limitless love!!! This realization was such an intense experience for me! It was so intense that my brain created a new super powerful neuro-pathway in my brain! The LOVE Neuro-Pathway!!! This was the moment that my brain became a LOVE brain! And I have been on a healing transformative journey of self-love since that moment.

About 15 years ago, when I was 16 years old, I was knocked into a coma for 4 days in a brutal car accident and my right frontal brain lobe was bruised and a few connectors were sheared off. As a result my emotional and expressive filters were wiped out and my brain was hot-wired to perceive and project with intensity. Because of my traumatic brain injury, I did not develop normally socially.

People with autism and aspergers have certain social things that they just are not aware of. The social developmental issues that I have and am overcoming are somewhat along those same lines. My social developmental issues have created challenges in building and maintaining friendships and relationships. And over the past few months I have been focusing on becoming aware of and developing the social areas that I previously was unable to see. I have made tremendous progress! And one of the biggest developments I have had so far occurred at the thing in the desert, Burning Man! I learned two way communication!

At Burning Man, I met several people who told me and help me learn that I am a super giver! I give massive amounts of myself, energy, love, positivity, motivation and inspiration to others! And being a super giver, the majority of the time I am not receiving from others because I am giving so much of myself that my intensity and focus is on giving to others. I became aware that I have been doing mostly one way communication and missing out on establishing the connections that I truly desire!

After experiencing numerous social interactions where I was told that I was "too much", I started to feel like I didn't belong at Burning Man. It was about mid-week at Burning Man that I met a girl who was riding her bike in the opposite direction of me. I said “Hello, how are you? Would you like a hug?” as she rode by me. She said, “Yes and I am doing great!” and we hugged. Then she asked me how I was doing. I told her “Amazing! Today was the 3XXth day that I woke up and actually loved myself!” and I told her that I had been hurting emotionally and that I am growing tremendously from it. I asked her if she could help me with understanding something. She graciously accepted and we rode off somewhere to talk.

After sharing a lot of big things about myself, I asked her if she could help me understand how I can truly connect with people. She explained that the things I told her right away grabbed her attention so intensely that she stopped what she was planning on doing and came with me. And that I had not asked her any questions about herself so our conversation and connection was only one way, me to her. Also she told me that because the things I shared about myself were so powerful, people are taken back and less likely to share of themselves. This added to the lack of real two way connection. And because she needed to go take care of something and could not continue the conversation, she gave me a challenge!

She challenged me to meet one new person during the rest of my time at Burning Man and not share any big things about myself until after they shared some of their story.

At first, I was thinking that this challenge is impossible! I had been telling myself that I am a Traumatic Brain Injury survivor and that because of my brain injury I am unfiltered, very intense, and impulsive so I can't hold back most of the time. And that if I held back, I would not be my true self, I would be ingenuine. But then I remembered that I am LIMITLESS! I can develop new awareness and skills! And by gaining the ability to hold back and truly connect with people I will be more myself and more loving to everyone!

I struggled with this challenge and found it harder than ever to connect with people. I experienced tremendous emotional pain and cried a lot to release it. But I did not give up!!! On Saturday evening (9/2/17), I met an amazing girl and engaged in two way communication! I had a magical time with her checking out several elaborate art installations and dancing! I really liked her a lot but I did not put any pressure of it leading anywhere or to something more. I simply enjoyed the thought that I liked liking her and building a two way connection through verbal communication and dance! We rode our bikes back towards her camp and she told me goodnight and kissed me! I rode off by myself with so much confidence and joy! I completed my challenge and proved to myself that I am LIMITLESS!

In summary, at Burning Man, I gained the self-awareness that I am a super giver and that I have been giving one way and not truly receiving back from others. I gained the awareness of how to engage in two way communication! I gained a greater awareness that I am limitless! That the human mind is limitless!

You are capable of learning new things, new ways, and achieving anything you put your mind to! You are limitless!

Self Love is LIMITLESS LOVE!!!

So Much LOVE!!! <3 <3 <3
Everything that is
Just as it is
Blossoms with your love

THERE IS
SO MUCH LOVE!!! <3 <3 <3

http://www.facebook.com/QuestToSelfLove

PS: My Playa name is Rabbit!

Sham

Re: Limitless! (Self-Love, Self-Awareness, & Healing/Growth)

Post by Sham » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:03 pm

It sounds like you found exactly what you were looking for---only different. The playa is like that.
From your first post, you appeared fully enveloped and submerged in giving. The kind person you found on the playa seems to have guided you in a different direction. This is something I hope you can hold onto in the future and fine tune the ability to receive as well as give. You seem like you're on the right track in tempering the intensity of yourself. That is all great stuff.

I am really happy that the playa was positive for you.

Sham....

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:05 pm

Here's a simple social rule.
Always try to talk HALF of the time with someone. Let them do the other half.
It works wonders

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:32 pm

I also had a brain hit , at 5 I tripped and fell into a old cast iron heater . Blood was all over , we were poor so my Dad put a wet washcloth on my head. I still have a 2 inch long crack in my scull you can feel. In school I got A's in math but everything else was boring. I stared out the window all the time . My teacher told my mom " one word to describe toby duhhhhhhhh" I had few friends and it would take awhile to make friends. Still its hard to read words , got D's in English . Also social things were ok , I was just slow to catching on, what was going on.
I was also violent , I joined wresting in HS and then joined the army as a M.P. had judo training , then boxing after the Army , then martial arts after 7 years of boxing.
I found that music calms the savage beast , and you can say stuff with music that typing cant express. So here I dont post much but music and some stuff I think is funny :)
But I am always trying to do better , like typing this :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

SoMuchLOVE

Post by SoMuchLOVE » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am

tatonka wrote:I also had a brain hit , at 5 I tripped and fell into a old cast iron heater . Blood was all over , we were poor so my Dad put a wet washcloth on my head. I still have a 2 inch long crack in my scull you can feel. In school I got A's in math but everything else was boring. I stared out the window all the time . My teacher told my mom " one word to describe toby duhhhhhhhh" I had few friends and it would take awhile to make friends. Still its hard to read words , got D's in English . Also social things were ok , I was just slow to catching on, what was going on.
I was also violent , I joined wresting in HS and then joined the army as a M.P. had judo training , then boxing after the Army , then martial arts after 7 years of boxing.
I found that music calms the savage beast , and you can say stuff with music that typing cant express. So here I dont post much but music and some stuff I think is funny :)

I love you! Thank you for sharing and I empathize &relate with you so much! <3 :)
Everything that is
Just as it is
Blossoms with your love

THERE IS
SO MUCH LOVE!!! <3 <3 <3

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 am

Someone on BMIR did sound just like you, Hmm Rabbit does ring a bell :D

(How can I hear your sound on these boards??)

<3
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:54 am

This is actually meant as constructive info...
a big part of why people say you're "too much" is because you THINK you're all love love love and give give give, but the reality is you take take take, by making everything all about YOU. That's ultra-annoying.
Just say "hey man how's it going" and don't throw all your issues at people.
People don't want to be smothered in love love love give give give by any random stranger. They probably have their own issues, they don't all throw them in your face.
Don't walk up to people and say "Hi I love you with all my soul". While you mean it to be wonderful, it's actually creepy.
Just say "Hi."
Ease up.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Someone was yelling "I LOVE YOU" really loudly and repeatedly at the Temple burn, too. But I can fully believe that someone would do that without any altered state (preceded by four howl waves)

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:15 pm

My great uncle had a rock fall on his head in a mine. You could balance a tennis ball in the divot on top of his head. As a kid this was the coolest thing ever!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Joeln wrote:My great uncle had a rock fall on his head in a mine. You could balance a tennis ball in the divot on top of his head. As a kid this was the coolest thing ever!

cool
-Plato

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 pm

I have a big old divot on my noggin and absolutely no memory on how it got there.

Mine is a cylindrical impression so holds a beer can on it’s side quite nice.

Eh, whatever. Cest Lavie.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 am

Token wrote:I have a big old divot on my noggin and absolutely no memory on how it got there.

chasing parked cars?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Token wrote:I have a big old divot on my noggin and absolutely no memory on how it got there.

Had a bike wreck once , was a little wet out and I crossed some RR tracks at a angle going about 20 mph , I remember starting the cross then woke up in a ambluance :( Dont member none of it. But no crack cause I had a little 1/2 helmut on and it took most of the blow.
-Plato

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 pm

tatonka wrote:I also had a brain hit , at 5 I tripped and fell into a old cast iron heater . Blood was all over , we were poor so my Dad put a wet washcloth on my head. I still have a 2 inch long crack in my scull you can feel. In school I got A's in math but everything else was boring. I stared out the window all the time . My teacher told my mom " one word to describe toby duhhhhhhhh" I had few friends and it would take awhile to make friends. Still its hard to read words , got D's in English . Also social things were ok , I was just slow to catching on, what was going on.

Also I didnt have to talk much cause back then I was Man pretty , the ladies were so nice. :)
-Plato

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 pm

SoMuchLOVE wrote:But then I remembered that I am LIMITLESS! I can develop new awareness and skills! And by gaining the ability to hold back and truly connect with people I will be more myself and more loving to everyone!
Yes, yes, YES. :)

I think this is a tremendously important realization, and I hope you will continue to practice your new ability to interact. It'll be like swimming laps. It's something that has to be practiced a few times a week to get better, to get stronger, to go further.

Since you've managed it once on what sounds like a lovely and magical Burn night, you can do it again. Keep the faith! You don't have to be the whole conversation. :)

You might benefit from practicing meditation if there is a Buddhist temple or monastery in your area; google for one. Meditation can be quite challenging for someone with a busy mind, but--there's nothing wrong with a challenge, is there? And it can teach relaxation and breathing and greater comfort with slowing down.

I've read that even after Traumatic Brain Injury, the brain can eventually make new pathways. It's not ingenuine to experiment with different styles of existing. You're still yourself, even if you're learning, improving, and refining.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

SoMuchLOVE

Post by SoMuchLOVE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Savannah wrote:I've read that even after Traumatic Brain Injury, the brain can eventually make new pathways. It's not ingenuine to experiment with different styles of existing. You're still yourself, even if you're learning, improving, and refining.
Absolutely!!! It is called Neuroplasticity! It is real and it is wonderful! It is the science behind why the human brain is LIMITLESS!!!

Thank you for your encouragement, advice, and support!

Meditation and physical exercise are the two things I am working on developing/establishing right now in my daily life.

It is time to transform to the next level physically, socially, emotionally, and mentally! <3
Everything that is
Just as it is
Blossoms with your love

THERE IS
SO MUCH LOVE!!! <3 <3 <3

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm glad you're meditating! (And exercising). I could stand more of both myself.

If you haven't seen this TED Talk--about a neuro researcher who experienced a stroke, and how it changed her--I think you would love it. (I really did.)

*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Holy sheep shit savannah. That was amazing
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:36 am

Arriving late to this conversation, but.... Yup. Neuroplasticity. The latest research (that I know of) talks about "re-wiring" the brain.
I am taking a course in mindfulness, and also studying the brain and the mind. (The mind is what the brain DOES, one might say.) Overcoming the negativity bias, for one thing. (And I UNDERSTAND negativity bias now! How it came to exist. Simply... evolution!)
The books of Dr. Rick Hanson are good -- I am reading "Buddha's Brain" and "Hardwiring Happiness".

And three years ago, I learned the power of meditation in small-group therapy -- when the therapist actually TRICKED us into meditating, and I wound up feeling remarkable rested and refreshed. (Mindfulness exercises and meditation are practically the same thing.)
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public area, please.

In the 3:00 G Plaza this year

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Wow wow wow amazing. Thanks for sharing Sav
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 pm

im here to align your chakras ")

-Plato

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 am

Savannah wrote:I'm glad you're meditating! (And exercising). I could stand more of both myself.

If you haven't seen this TED Talk--about a neuro researcher who experienced a stroke, and how it changed her--I think you would love it. (I really did.)

wow, very good, thanks!!
This very much speaks to me, from personal, though different, experience. Sort of explained some of what I intuitively felt was right.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 pm

tatonka wrote:im here to align your chakras ")

I would pay legit money for a mold that makes ice like that!

Eviler than Skeletor!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Token wrote:
tatonka wrote:im here to align your chakras ")

I would pay legit money for a mold that makes ice like that!

Eviler than Skeletor!
well, you've got the sample, just get some tubes of silicone caulk.....(ironic, yeah).....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm

'She casted me in plaster while I sang her a tune'
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

tatonka

Post by tatonka » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Just read a article that said, some people with right side of their brain damaged start telling jokes all the time . As I was reading I went hey thats me :)
-Plato

korierika4
Camp Name: Temple of the flying spaghetti monster

Post by korierika4 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 am

Savannah wrote:I'm glad you're meditating! (And exercising). I could stand more of both myself.

Really great book written her too!
The answer may not be at Burning Man, but shouldn't we at least check :?:

Return to “Stories”