HEMP and HAPPINESS - A GIFT STORY

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
EvilDustBooger

HEMP and HAPPINESS - A GIFT STORY

Post by EvilDustBooger » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:51 pm

Hemp twine. #5, 6-ply. It comes in assorted colors and weave patterns.
I decided last year that I was going to give beaded necklaces as gifts at Burningman. And hemp twine is what I used to string them with. It`s great stuff...sturdy, and soft, I also really like the way it looks. Kind of Tribal.
I spent hours and hours at thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets, on-line on the internet, bead stores, gem shows etc...hunting for and collecting beads for my creations. I collected some beauties too. Because I was working with hemp, I needed beads with a larger hole, so they wouldn`t become stuck as I was stringing them. I used a variety of beads and natural materials... Chevrons, Venetian, Pipestone, Artglass, Bone, Pumtek, various trade beads and fossil rocks, Carnelian, Moss, and Tiger-eye agates... I even crafted about fifty pendants out of exotic woods to augment my finer pieces, with the man engraved on one side, my name and 2004 on the other.
I put lots of work and resources into this project, and it paid off because my necklaces looked great. I passed them out to my friends and to neighbors and friendly folks I met on the Playa. People really liked them, and I felt really proud to see the look on their faces when I gifted them with something I created.
It was Thursday. I had several necklaces left and I was feeling like getting out and mingling so I decided to hop on my bike, load myself and my handlebars up with my hippy treasures, grab my water-jug, sling my piss-yellow

LICK
BUSH
IN
`04

sign around my seat-post, and took off on a trek to the man, where I
would gift complete strangers with some of my goodies.
I passed out several necklaces to people around Center camp, and
on the way out to the man. Lots of wonderful reactions. While I was on the trail that leads to the deep playa, some huge dust clouds rolled over me. Like warm talcum powder
it enveloped everything and everybody, making all in its domain come to a halt. Nobody could see anything, except for just a few inches in front of you. All any vehicle or pedestrian could do was stop where they were and wait...sometimes for several minutes, until the cloud of playa silently rumbled over you towards BRC. When you can see, you can move again.
Move around during a "white-out", and you could get injured...or worse.
I was standing in place, straddling my bike, with a piece of silk pulled over my head, wondering if it`s possible to become buried and strangled in a dust storm, when one of the larger dust clouds finally rolled over, the air cleared, and I saw a woman about 10ft in front of me . She was late 20`s/early 30`s, dusting herself off and peeling back her dust mask.
She looked straight out of an Indiana Jones movie, she had a safari hat and was wearing what appeared to be L.L. Bean`s finest Kaki desert outfit, some granny style glasses and what appeared to be Vietnam era combat boots.
I dusted myself off and rolled over a few feet to her and said Hi. I had 2 more of my nicest necklaces with the wooden pendants left, and I grabbed one from my handlebars and held it out to her, and before I could say a word, she stares right through me and peddles away like the wicked witch with Toto in haul....
I was crushed. All I was trying to do was make a little connection, and give her a gift. She couldn`t even bring herself to acknowledge that I existed, let alone blurt out a single syllable of communication.
Immediately, I started to analyze myself....maybe I was being too forward, maybe I look scary, I am kind of a big guy....maybe it was my "LICK BUSH" SIGN...MAYBE SHE`S A REPUBLICAN...maybe she thought I was trying to lick her bush?...oh my god...
Then another massive cloud rolls over me, I pull the silk over my head again and close my eyes and wonder about the abrupt encounter I just had...then I thought...maybe it wasn`t ME. Maybe she was sad or troubled or angry...and just couldn`t deal with me right then....hell maybe she`s from the Bronx......I took the deepest breath I could under the circumstances and grinned and shook my head.
Just then, the air cleared again, and standing in front of me was a couple who had stopped, and were holding each other during the white out. They seemed to be very much in love. I grabbed the last 2 necklaces, and dropped them on the playa right behind them, I said "excuse me, but you dropped these". They looked at me and each other and said "No, those aren`t ours'' I said "Yes they are'' and peddled away. I heard the girl comment that they were really nice, and when I was several yards away, they both yelled out a very jubilant Thank You!!!
I stopped my bike turned around, took off my hat, and crying like a baby, bowed and waved my hat at the happy couple.
I can`t remember having ever felt better about anything.

othereye

Post by othereye » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:25 pm

That is the closest I have come to crying while reading an eplaya post.

Wow. Just reading that put me in a very very good place. So the gift keeps on giving a year later, because there's such a great story!

THANK YOU!
<3
"Sometimes, honey, you just have to look reality in the eye and say..... 'what happened to your other eye, dude?!'" - Angela Waversak, as quoted on eriswerks.org

synchronicity

Re: HEMP and HAPPINESS - A GIFT STORY

Post by synchronicity » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:07 pm

EvilDustBooger wrote:I saw a woman about 10ft in front of me . She was late 20`s/early 30`s, dusting herself off and peeling back her dust mask.
She looked straight out of an Indiana Jones movie, she had a safari hat and was wearing what appeared to be L.L. Bean`s finest Kaki desert outfit, some granny style glasses and what appeared to be Vietnam era combat boots.
l....
I was crushed. All I was trying to do was make a little connection, and give her a gift. She couldn`t even bring herself to acknowledge that I existed, let alone blurt out a single syllable of communication.

..MAYBE SHE`S A REPUBLICAN....

I think that I might have used to live with this woman.....
Ooops - check age, maybe her mother...(Time you bitch!!!!)

Please do not fall prey to the prejudice. Not all Republicans are bad.
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."

HughMungus

Re: HEMP and HAPPINESS - A GIFT STORY

Post by HughMungus » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:56 am

EvilDustBooger wrote:before I could say a word, she stares right through me and peddles away like the wicked witch with Toto in haul....
I was crushed.
Been there. Maybe she was having a bad day. Maybe she realized just then that she hated Burning Man and everything and everyone related to it (gasp!). Maybe she was a lesbian separatist (they exist; I've met them). Maybe after she got the dust out of her nose, she looked at what you'd given her and smiled and put it on. Who knows; you can't worry about reactions too much (although as someone who also gifts a lot, I do CARE but I also know that not everyone is in the gift-receiving state-of-mind all the time; I just don't worry about reaction so much because all you can do is put yourself out there and take the good and leave the bad).
It's what you make it.

Return to “Stories”