F**k Gigsville in the Nose!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
deckard

F**k Gigsville in the Nose!

Post by deckard » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:59 pm

As someone who is part of Gigsville...I am interested in everyone's feedback about the village from those who were not necessarily part of the village...

So do tell...what where your experiences with Gigsville this year?

bradDaDad

Post by bradDaDad » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:43 am

again?

Jane Eric

Post by Jane Eric » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:52 am

My only real experience with Gigsville is through one person.

That one person makes my day everytime I see her or her email. She gifted us with the most amazing thingies and we love her. She came at the last minute this year, not sure she was going to make it at all before. She stops us and plants a big kiss on our faces, we stop every time we see her. She makes us feel welcome anytime we are near Gigsville.

For me she is the pentultimate Burner and I try and immulate her when I feel snarky.

So there.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:33 am

All my time spend in Gigsville was positive. Even though I camp outside of a village, I always attempt to camp near Gigsville. I like just walking through. I enjoyed the Canadian Beaver Eating Contest and the Island of Misfit strippers was well done. No one there would know me from Adam, but I was always made to feel welcome. I have nothing negative to say.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:42 am

Sopmeone told me aboupt gigsville --

"Gigsville -- we can't get enough of ourselves."
Fight for the fifth freedom!

III

Post by III » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:55 am

as someone who is a part of gigsville, i don't really care what you thought of our village....
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:05 am

i don't really care what you thought of our village....
Mr. Deckard,

Gigsville is an interesting name. I often made my way through your camp and appreciated the pictures of Mr. Gorbachov, who I feel is sadly misunderstood here in the West. As a sub-theme Doomecratic Republick (sp?) seemed to work, but as a concept, Gigsville was too big and abstract for me to fully understand. Just like the effervesance in Champagne or the joy of a curved line, this will take further data collection, research and analysis. Are you aware of funding agencies or grant-making bodies who would be interested in such inquiry? Please forward all relevant information to my agent.

Remember the playa is dangerous, please take care of your nose. Repeated nose fucking is reputed to lead to crankiness.

Thank you for your efforts.

blyslv
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Julie C

Post by Julie C » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:11 am

As I posted on another message thread somewhere out there??? Gigsville was a cool stroll, gotta great footbath and massage and met some very friendly peep's...keep up the great atmoshpere, I'll be strolling thru there next year... :D

Wreak Havoc

Post by Wreak Havoc » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:13 am

My 'Beaver' and I ventured into Gigsville for the 'contest'. I was impressed by the sheer size of the Village and their activities. The Canadian Beaver Eating contest staff were a bit pressed to handle the single guys trying to push in, but once those dudes were shoo'd away, the event was a blast. Everyone was a winner! My Beaver and I were a bit curious about the - preseated, obviously invited - viewing gallery that just sat there gawking at us contestants, but we were so busy, I guess it didn't matter. I'm wondering if any of those (invited) looky looos, took any photos or shot video (I'll bet you did)? And how about the gymnasty couple!? Where they awesome? Besides their limber and creative sexy yoga type moves, the best part about them was their attitude ~ Kudos to them and the rest of the sexy participants (less the pants) ...
Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire!

tbone

Post by tbone » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:23 am

Wreak Havoc wrote:My 'Beaver' and I ventured into Gigsville for the 'contest'. I was impressed by the sheer size of the Village and their activities. The Canadian Beaver Eating contest staff were a bit pressed to handle the single guys trying to push in, but once those dudes were shoo'd away, the event was a blast.
My campmates and I have been "security" for the GCBEC since year 1. Mostly to keep out the creepy single guys and cameras.

Sadly, this year the venue was much smaller than the organizers wanted, so we removed a lot more people that usual.

Normally, groups of beaver eaters are admitted first, then if there's room, a handful of (non-single-guy) spectators are allowed in.
Everyone was a winner! My Beaver and I were a bit curious about the - preseated, obviously invited - viewing gallery that just sat there gawking at us contestants, but we were so busy, I guess it didn't matter. I'm wondering if any of those (invited) looky looos, took any photos or shot video (I'll bet you did)?
It was very clear that there would be no photography, and hopefully nobody got past us. Security never actually went inside, but people were on the lookout for cameras there too.

There were lots of assholes out there that night. WHat people fail to realize, is because it's a private party, if you piss off anybody in security, you're never getting in. Yelling, pushing, demanding, etc... will only get you the boot. Act like a civil human being, and you'll get in if you follow the two rules (must have a beaver, must not have a camera).

tbone

Post by tbone » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:32 am

blyslv wrote: Gigsville is an interesting name.
It was originally (1998) "Gigsville, the whirly-gig village" with lots of things that spin in the wind. It never really took off, but the name stuck.
As a sub-theme Doomecratic Republick (sp?) seemed to work, but as a concept, Gigsville was too big and abstract for me to fully understand.
Gigsville had a theme, "The Doomokratik Republik" this year. Some camps folled the gig theme, some followed the Burning Man theme, and some camps did thier own thing.

There wasn't much tying all the groups together.

In my camp I know everybody, and we trust each other. In my village, everybody is a friend, or a friend of a friend, and there's a degree of familiarity. Outside the village, it's wide open. I camp there because of security and familiarity. Also, because Gigsville negociates space in bulk, I deal with my friends when I want village space, rather than dealing with the BORG. I think it's a win-win; the BORG has to deal with one person (the village "Mayor") rather than 40 seperate camps, and the chance of me getting the space I want is also good.

Jenna Ronovich

Post by Jenna Ronovich » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:13 am

Wreak Havoc wrote: My Beaver and I were a bit curious about the - preseated, obviously invited - viewing gallery that just sat there gawking at us contestants, but we were so busy, I guess it didn't matter. I'm wondering if any of those (invited) looky looos, took any photos or shot video (I'll bet you did)? ...
The "looky loos" were from the camp that hosted the event. I was a cheerleader and my squad was placed next to them.
No one took pictures. If they did, it was some sort of top secret shoe cam, because believe me, we were watching.
As a past participant in the contest, I am VERY protective of the privacy of the contestants.

ecliptic

Post by ecliptic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:23 am

I find it more stimulating to fuck Gigsville in the ear.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:29 am

III wrote:as someone who is a part of gigsville, i don't really care what you thought of our village....
So much so that you weren't even there...

Well, in spirit maybe.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

jaywalker

Post by jaywalker » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:17 pm

fuck gigsville.

bunch of self-selecting inclusive bastards. Had to try really hard to escape them, only to be sucked back.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:34 pm

jaywalker wrote:fuck gigsville.

bunch of self-selecting inclusive bastards. Had to try really hard to escape them, only to be sucked back.
<sniff>

I wish I was one of them...

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:40 pm

Every Villain I introduced you to liked you. That's a good start. Now you just have to overcome your geographical challenges.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:45 pm

precipitate wrote:Every Villain I introduced you to liked you. That's a good start. Now you just have to overcome your geographical challenges.
That's cool. Thanks.

But there is about as much of a chance of me moving to California as there is of me becoming President of the United States next year. As an independent candidate, of course.

precipitate

Post by precipitate » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:48 pm

"Overcoming geographical challenges" doesn't mean moving. There's a good chunk of Gigsville that's nowhere near southern California. It might mean another trip during the year, though.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:50 pm

precipitate wrote:"Overcoming geographical challenges" doesn't mean moving. There's a good chunk of Gigsville that's nowhere near southern California. It might mean another trip during the year, though.
<scratching chin> hmmmmmmm...

III

Post by III » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:50 pm

i've been around gigsville for a while, and i've had the opportunity to see what sorts of folks gravitate towards it, what sorts don't.

yesterday, a friend mentioned to me that gigsville was well organized, compared to many other groups on the playa. that struck me as odd. i've had the opportunity to see many groups and camps plan for the playa, and we, by far, have the *least* amount of organization of all of them. however, it's also not the first time i've heard this claim, and i suspect i know where it comes from.

gigsville is pretty open. anyone can join up and see whether they like it. where we depart from the radical inclusivity concept though, is that we don't try to make everyone who joins up happy. that's up to themselves. and the key to the whole thing lies in that last sentence: the people who end up sticking around are those who take care of their own shit, who are self sufficient, and don't need to have someone hold their hand in order to accomplish anything. there isn't a lot of room for prima donnas, or high maintenance people. it is simply not an enabling environment for needy people.

it's still a community: if you stumble, someone will help you up. but if you start off lying on the ground, and expect to be carried, you'll be a long time waiting.

how's *that* for having an oversized ego?
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:52 pm

Shit, now I've got wood.

excuse me for a moment...

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:02 pm

Gigsville to me has an attitude, and I don't feel comfortable in there for some reason. I also dislike that car they used for a firebarrel...maybe I didn't look close enough but I didn't see any fireshields under it to protect the playa.

My overall gripe last year and especially this year was that BRC at times reminded me of high school with it's little clicks and exclusive zones. If you didn't belong to a camp you couldn't get on the art car. If you were single, you couldn't go here, or go there. No this, no that.

Instead of bitching for 04, I'm drawing up plans for my own theme camp, my own art car, and my own events. It's one thing to bitch, it's another to bitch and propose a solution which is what I'm doing. So back to Gigsville....too big, too much attitude at least from the people I run into there, and with that I'll just avoid the place and have fun elsewhere...BRC is big enough to make Gigsville irrelevant to me.

(Man I guess Stormy was right, I am a bit negative since coming back this year.)

tbone

Post by tbone » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:11 pm

Where you from, Zane?

tbone

Post by tbone » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:15 pm

Kinetic wrote:Gigsville to me has an attitude, and I don't feel comfortable in there for some reason.
There's 400 people in the village. Perhaps you met the wrong ones.
I also dislike that car they used for a firebarrel...maybe I didn't look close enough but I didn't see any fireshields under it to protect the playa.
You didn't look closely enough.
My overall gripe last year and especially this year was that BRC at times reminded me of high school with it's little clicks and exclusive zones. If you didn't belong to a camp you couldn't get on the art car. If you were single, you couldn't go here, or go there. No this, no that.
Examples?
Instead of bitching for 04, I'm drawing up plans for my own theme camp, my own art car, and my own events. It's one thing to bitch, it's another to bitch and propose a solution which is what I'm doing.
Good show.
So back to Gigsville....too big, too much attitude at least from the people I run into there, and with that I'll just avoid the place and have fun elsewhere...BRC is big enough to make Gigsville irrelevant to me.
Come by Skynyrd for a drink next year. Or Lahontan Corp. Or those guys from Chicago with the bus. Or the Barking Spider Lounge. Or that Canadian place with the dome (hi Girlie!), or the...
Hey, there's 400 people; give it a little time, and you'll find some good people.

precipitate

Post by precipitate » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:17 pm

> I also dislike that car they used for a firebarrel...maybe I didn't look
> close enough but I didn't see any fireshields under it to protect the playa.

You didn't look closely enough. Most of the embers never got anywhere
near the ground, so there was very little risk of burning the playa.
Someone kicked the door in early in the week, causing a small leak on one
side. But there was corrugated steel underneath. No burn scars in Gigsville.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:17 pm

tbone wrote:Where you from, Zane?
Golden, Colorado--home of Coors beer.

jaywalker

Post by jaywalker » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:18 pm

Zane's good folk.
Nice camp and theme going on. It was a pleasure to meet him, even before he offered me a beer;)

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:19 pm

Hey, there's 400 people; give it a little time, and you'll find some good people.
Is is true.

As much as I personally don't care for the majority of the citizens of Gisville (Gigsvillans? Gigsvillians? ah, whatever...) I ahve met 4 or 5 that totally redeemed my faith in Gigsville as a whole.

Thanks to those people, you know who you are.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:23 pm

jaywalker wrote:Zane's good folk.
Nice camp and theme going on. It was a pleasure to meet him, even before he offered me a beer;)
Didn't I offer you some ouzo, or the Apfel Korn?

Return to “Stories”