Synaesthetes: Looking for my tribe on the playa

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Holly Golightly

Synaesthetes: Looking for my tribe on the playa

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:10 pm

Did you recently learn that your unique way of seeing the world actually had a name? Me too. But I have still never met another synaesthete face to face, so I'm curious to hear from my people out there!

HughMungus

Re: Synaesthetes: Looking for my tribe on the playa

Post by HughMungus » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:56 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Did you recently learn that your unique way of seeing the world actually had a name? Me too. But I have still never met another synaesthete face to face, so I'm curious to hear from my people out there!
I'm not really smelling your meaning.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:54 am

Holly, I held off on replying to your post to see if others responded but I am a synesthete too. There's a lot of negativity on the eplaya so I won't go into my specific details openly but I'd really like to talk to you. I'm just as curious about your experiences as I am with my own.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:19 am

Kinetic IV wrote:Holly, I held off on replying to your post to see if others responded but I am a synesthete too. There's a lot of negativity on the eplaya so I won't go into my specific details openly but I'd really like to talk to you. I'm just as curious about your experiences as I am with my own.

~
What it makes your willy stand up? In the 60s we took drugs to distort the world. Now the world is distorted we take prozac to make it seem normal.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:33 am

A little more background on the subject can be found here:
http://www.mixsig.net
This is not something that chemicals can "fix", and while others might feel differently I don't want it to change.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:43 am

A lack of blood flow to the brain has been medically proven to produce similar results whereas you wouldn't be considered to be a synaesthete. You would just be considered to be a person with a lack of blood flow to the brain.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:45 am

Cabanasprings wrote:A lack of blood flow to the brain has been medically proven to produce similar results whereas you wouldn't be considered to be a synaesthete. You would just be considered to be a person with a lack of blood flow to the brain.
My comment about negativity, validated. Thank you Cabanasprings.
K-IV
~~~~

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:50 am

I apologize to all if my factual contribution to this topic was construed as negative.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:50 am

Kinetic IV wrote:A little more background on the subject can be found here:
http://www.mixsig.net
This is not something that chemicals can "fix", and while others might feel differently I don't want it to change.

~
I know. JUst being silly. I always figured it was the wacks to the head that did that. My last eye DR. said: My god man, how many times you been hit in the head? Alot. I've always marched to a different tune and was in trouble all my life. That is why B M is just my cup of tea.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:57 am

I've had this since the day I was born. There's no history or medical incidents that my parents can recall that would have involved blood flow issues. My triple concussion was 4 years ago...I had this well before then. 30+ years of awareness of it to put it into perspective.

But anyway this is turning into a discussion about me...and my lightning rod effect is coming into play. Holly asked if there are others, so let's see if there are others and not scare them off with a debate over the condition just yet.
K-IV
~~~~

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:58 am

If I stick my finger in my belly button I feel it in my groin....am I a synaesthete?

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:08 am

When I'm out and about in the lights along he open playa my scound kicks in. Hearing bring in the clowns on a tinny pipe organ. and scound visual small cars driven by clowns and full of clown. I have much more fun if I just let it play. Hope the BMorg don't read this. They wll want me to buy another tikcet.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:45 am

There are numerous theories on the cause of synesthesia....and Cabanasprings is right, the blood flow theory is out there. It's not one of the mainstream theories...but I was wrong to deny that it existed. I wanted to clear that up.
K-IV
~~~~

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:50 pm

After a week on the playa I smell so bad I have to wear earplugs.

tigerlillie

Post by tigerlillie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:01 pm

ummm? seeing colors with emotions and sensations. it is a rather well know subject by debate is it not by other names?
don't piss me off, I am smarter than you!

tigerlillie

Post by tigerlillie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:07 pm

I listen Native American music because I am half Native American, when the music starts you can feel the heat bouncing off the dry canyon walls, from the drums the echo of the birds swirl like mist in a heavy moringing dew in meadows of a prairie, and it summons up the vision of women and children gathering around campfires, gardens, doing chores, men preparing for battle or hunting etc.... and then I see the colors of deep blues, peach, azure, peaceful, quiet, relaxing but yet melancholy..

tigerlillie

Post by tigerlillie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:07 pm

sorry,double post

Cabanasprings

Post by Cabanasprings » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:23 am

tigerlillie wrote:I listen Native American music because I am half Native American, when the music starts you can feel the heat bouncing off the dry canyon walls, from the drums the echo of the birds swirl like mist in a heavy moringing dew in meadows of a prairie, and it summons up the vision of women and children gathering around campfires, gardens, doing chores, men preparing for battle or hunting etc.... and then I see the colors of deep blues, peach, azure, peaceful, quiet, relaxing but yet melancholy..
Gotta love that peyote!

Return to “Stories”