Ever see a female law enforcement official?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Kathy O'Sunnyvale

Ever see a female law enforcement official?

Post by Kathy O'Sunnyvale » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:29 pm

As I wandered the Playa this year, watching LEOs zoom by, I noticed that I hadn't seen a female LEO. I don't remember ever seeing one in my previous years at BurningMan. Have you?

As Pershing County is so small I wouldn't necessarily expect to see them in that department. But between Washoe and the BLM there should be some. Are they there?

If there were more women LEOs maybe it'd reduce the "Naked chicks doing yoga? Lets zoom out to stare at them" behavior I've seen LEOs do. And if people are stopped and searched, I'd think women would be more comfortable if women did the searching (nevermind that whole constitutional thing). If a women was arrested I assume she's searched by a women, but that takes place off-playa? Just curious.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:32 pm

I got searched by a woman. Never occured to me to ask if she was a LEO or not. My bad.

The Doc

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:36 pm

I saw a female BLM ranger in 2000... does that count?
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

Jp

Post by Jp » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:48 pm

there were definitely female BLM Rangers out there, saw a couple myself and heard several reports of them being just as hard-assed as their male counterparts.

Jp

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:52 pm

The one I saw was in the process of receiving thanks from one of my camp mates. He was thanking her for not fucking him up, or shooting him, which he was asking for the previous night.

*tip to the newbies: don't try to assault an LEO using bad martial arts techniques while tripping.*

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:05 pm

a friend was busted at the man this year by blm. Nightvision goggles, whole damn deal. One man, one woman. FWIW, they did a classic good cop bad cop routine. Woman played good cop.

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:07 pm

tip to the newbies: don't try to assault an LEO using bad martial arts techniques while tripping
Cripes. That's a good tip for *anybody*
It's all about the squirrels.

tbone

Post by tbone » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:34 pm

I spend a lot of time in the desert (Mojave) around LA. There's only one BLM officer I know who's female.

Most of the men are dicks, and the supervisor is one of the worst. Gina's OK; she seems to understand that we're just out having fun with bikes, booze, fires, etc and aren;t going to hurt anybody or ourselves. We also have a good track record with cleanup, etc and they usually remember that.

Borris
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Post by Borris » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:38 pm

stuart scanlon wrote:a friend was busted at the man this year by blm. Nightvision goggles, whole damn deal. One man, one woman. FWIW, they did a classic good cop bad cop routine. Woman played good cop.
What did they bust him for??
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...

KurtRuckus

Female BLM cop was being total hard ass on Sunday night.

Post by KurtRuckus » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:58 pm

Not sure if it was the same one, but a female BLM cop rushed in and busted the people doing the 10 foot tall copy of the original man burn (where the man burned the night before). She then proceeded to call in reinforcements, one of which threatened to jail somebody if we proceeded with our scheduled Pyromid burn. Apparently the platform the man is burned on is not considered a public burn platform the next day, even if the kevlar sheeting is still laid down. One of the rangers said she screamed at him to "Keep your distance" or some such when he approached her to discuss the matter. Apparently someone that burned the 10 foot tall man got a $500 dollar fine for not having the proper permits. All the details are hazy as word got to me through one or more people but it was a huge nightmare. Later my friend got busted for his art structure which had some fireworks in it (which he never lit) and he was fined $100. He was told if he had burned it, he would have gone to jail. I'm not certain of this but it sounded like the same woman from the earlier bust. All people that interacted with her did not have kind descriptive words for her or her demeanor. Eventually the BLM gave us the green light after sorting out that we did jump through the right hoops for our burn, but by that point we had pulled all our pyrotechnics so didn't get to put on the Pyromid/Eggchair Death Battle we were hoping for. It's still unclear if we would have been fined or jailed if we had put on our full show. Us two igniters settled for our spark fountain laiden firesuits instead. Total bureaucratic nightmare and bummer. Definitely the last year of the Pyromid (and so says the Eggchair too).

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:12 pm

Tiara is not a LEO, but she's a very nice and professional Black Rock Ranger....who along with a handful of other Rangers are making me think about joining them next year.

Hana Hou

Post by Hana Hou » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:19 pm

There was a female BLM that was part of the force (2 Rangers, 3 BLM, 2 Sheriff) that arrived when I was stopped out on the playa on Friday... She was the only one with her hand on a gun.. Wasn't a pretty site, but we parted as friends..

(I don't want to get into it, but...) All that really needs to be said is that they were supposed to know that we were out there and coming back in through the perimeter gate.. But, ooops, they didn't..
Darwin was right.

stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:27 pm

What did they bust him for??
fungus

(her)

doc_faustroll

Post by doc_faustroll » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:37 pm

"why those are chinese cooking mushrooms officer"

"we'll have to field test them to make sure."

the very scientific field testing techniques are top secret.
college du pataphysique

RedTux

BLM Officers

Post by RedTux » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:44 pm

I worked closely with one female BLM officer during the event. I can't remember her name right now, but she ROCKED! She was there any time we needed some law enforcement back on the perimeter. I definately hope she comes out again next year, it was a pleasure working with her.

debkakes

see "Sexual Violence" thread

Post by debkakes » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:51 pm

Might be nice to see a few more.
Anyone know what's the ratio of male to female Rangers?
gotta walk thru the ouch to get to the awe

RedTux

Re: see "Sexual Violence" thread

Post by RedTux » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:59 pm

debkakes wrote:Might be nice to see a few more.
Anyone know what's the ratio of male to female Rangers?
Rangers are like an engineering school.. Guys WAY outnumber women. I have heard some stories about how some of the guys are such horn dogs that they end up scaring away some female Rangers, however I not not know the validity of this story.

Ranger Mickey

Post by Ranger Mickey » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:17 pm

There *are* a few LE females; a bevy of which I worked with in 2002 and a Sheriff's Deputy who comes back year after year (who wears a Ranger hat with the word "sheriff" on it and a "Question My Authority" button). All of them were a pleasure, nothing like the over-caffienated wonder described earlier in this thread.

As to the percentage of female Rangers, I'd guess somewhere between 2 and 8 per cent; seemingly more each year.
[url=http://www.sattlers.org/mickey/burningMan/]Rangering since 1996[/url]...

[Rangers] do their best to stay unobtrusive. They are always there when needed but remarkably hard to find if you just want to point at one. -- Jay Schneider

zigfish

Post by zigfish » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:31 pm

I specifically remember one female pig in 98. Uniformed (a sheriff I think) her face contorted with hate. Standing with a bunch of uniformed goons. Contempt oozing from their pores, the true nature of these degenerate filth on display.

Ranger Mickey

Post by Ranger Mickey » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:49 am

Funny; I make a bet they were thinking the same thing.
[url=http://www.sattlers.org/mickey/burningMan/]Rangering since 1996[/url]...

[Rangers] do their best to stay unobtrusive. They are always there when needed but remarkably hard to find if you just want to point at one. -- Jay Schneider

Kamakhya

Post by Kamakhya » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:20 am

This is secondhand, so it may be complete bs., but, I heard about a couple of male LEO's with a young, hot and scantally clad female LEO who were enticing young boys. They would talk up the boys, get them feeling comfortable and then offer to trade LSD for any other drug. The person I heard about was busted for pot after agreeing to trade.

BTW: the guy who was busted for burning Mini-Man was taken to jail based on an outstanding warrant, not directly related to the "unauthorized" burn. The warrant was from an ancient speeding ticket which he had paid, but because he had paid it late, there was a late fee that was accumulating interest over the years. Truly silly.

Kama

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:18 am

zigfish wrote:I specifically remember one female pig in 98. Uniformed (a sheriff I think) her face contorted with hate. Standing with a bunch of uniformed goons. Contempt oozing from their pores, the true nature of these degenerate filth on display.
Hmmm...

Sounds like you've got some hatred of your own.

Blackrock Lover

Post by Blackrock Lover » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:03 am

Face contorted with hate, contempt oozing.... Doesn't really seem like the female BLM Rangers, especially those that sign up to work the event. I believe there were at least 3 for the event.

I don't know of any male BLM Ranger giving a female BLM Ranger a hard time as mentioned earlier. While it's not one big happy family there are far too few to have much infighting.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:03 am

Are female rangers the same as female law enforcement officer- NO!

RAngers aren't the police!

Has anyone seen police brutality?

A II Z

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:03 am

[img]http://www.salvatore-vasapolli.com/port ... urningMan/
GalleryCulturalBM200022.htm[/img]

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:04 am

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:01 am

Can anyone tell me how to get a freaken image posted. I thought the formula was [img]http://www.the_freaken_address.com/blah/blah/blah[img]

but I tried two ways and it didn't work. though, I had one posted before on another thread.

A II Z

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:09 am

Using your example you forgot the [/img] to close it out. It should work unless you try posting from Tripod pages like I did yesterday.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:52 pm

I thought that was automatically included when you press the img button at the end like in my first attempt

A II Z

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:08 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:Has anyone seen police brutality?
I witnessed a drunk guy in 2002 in the street in front of our camp get billyclubed several times after he accidentally (from what I saw) brushed an arm against the LEO he was "conversing" with (he was gesturing using his arms as he talked). The drunk was trying to push the LEO's buttons (and succeeded apparently). Don't know if that was "police brutality" or not, the drunk acted incredibly stupid (never try to push the buttons of a LEO) but the LEO seemed to be baiting him on until he went to far. I think the response was out of hand, ymmv. Could have been diffused easily (if anyone was stupid enough to get involved between a LEO and a drunk). Other than that one LEO, they have all been pretty cool in my experience.

Return to “Stories”